Connect with us

Headline

Yoruba Nation Rally: Sanwo-Olu Donates Apartment, Cash To Jumoke Oyeleke’s Family

Published

on

Lagos Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu at the weekend donated a furnished apartment to the family of Yoruba Nation rally victim, Jumoke Oyeleke.

25-year-old Jumoke, the first child and a shop attendant, died after a stray bullet hit her at Ojota on Saturday, July 3.

Sanwo-Olu also presented a cheque of N1 million to the deceased mother, Ifeoluwa Oyeleke, and three other children.

Advertisement

The governor moved them from a shanty at 59A, Bayo Osinowo Street in Ogudu, Ojota, to a two-bedroom apartment in Ikorodu.

READ ALSO:;#EndSARS Panel Report: Adegboruwa, Lagos Counsel Disagree

Represented by his Senior Special Assistant on Administration, Titi Oshodi, Sanwo-Olu explained that the gesture was to alleviate their immediate need.

Noting that it is not possible to bring back the dead, he assured that the government will stand by the family.

Advertisement

We believe this will help them ease into the next phase of life without stress. This was not planned but the government had to make quick arrangements.

“This is a temporary arrangement for her to stay with her children, pursuing other actions going forward.

“The rent has been paid for three years in advance, and the kitchen is stocked with some foodstuff”, Oshodi told reporters.

Mrs. Oyeleke, a domestic help, thanked Sanwo-Olu and the state government for remembering her.

Advertisement

The bereaved mother disclosed that they left their former house because it was sold to a developer.

“We moved to a shanty where we had been staying for about a year before Jumoke died. It was a church member who allowed us to stay there.

“I am a domestic hand. I help people wash clothes and clean their compound. Jumoke, my first child, was a salesgirl.

”I want the government to help me find a profitable job so I can train my children properly.

Advertisement

“My children used to attend a private school but I enrolled them in a government school because I could no longer afford the fees.

“This new house is rented and I would not be able to afford the rent when the three years that was paid for expires.

“I wish to be employed and will engage in buying and selling foodstuff with the N1 million I was given”, she said.

Jumoke’s sister, Ayomide Adeeko, expressed gratitude for the assistance and pleaded that her mother is assisted with a good job so she can train the remaining siblings.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: EndSARS: Mr Macaroni Reacts to Lagos Panel Report

(DAILY POST)

Advertisement

Headline

EndSARS: No Peace Without Justice, Eedris Abdulkareem To Sanwo-Olu

Published

on

By

Nigerian Music legend, Eedris Abdulkareem has condemned Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu over his invitation for a peace walk in Lagos State.

Sanwo-Olu, in a speech on Tuesday on the Lekki shootings of October 20, 2020, said he will be leading a Walk for Peace in December to herald the “healing of our land”.

“Let me use this occasion to extend an open invitation to our youths, members of the diplomatic corps, civil society groups, students, and the media as well as other stakeholders to join me,” he said.

Advertisement

He specifically extended invitations to Falana, Adebayo, Dele Farotimi, Temitope Majekodunmi, Segun Awosanya (Segalink), Adedotun (Just Detoun), Seun Kuti; Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu; and Commander of Rapid Response Squad CSP Yinka Egbeyemi and others to join him in the “historic march for our dear Lagos.”

Falz and Mr Macaroni have since rejected the invitation as they demanded justice of those allegedly killed during the EndSARS protest before peace can be restored.

Eedris, taking to his Instagram page described the invitation for the walk of peace as being dead on arrival.

READ ALSO: EndSARS: Lagos Govt Releases White Paper In Panel Report

Advertisement

According to him, no amount of walking can get Nigeria to the destination of peace without the route of justice.

His post read, “Dead On Arrival; No amount of walking can get us to the destination of peace without taking the honourable route of justice.

“Sanwo-Olu your walk of peace is dead on arrival.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Headline

BREAKING: Court Dismisses Suit Seeking Soludo’s Disqualification As Anambra Governor-elect

Published

on

By

A Federal High Court in Abuja has dismissed a suit seeking the disqualification of Prof. Charles Chukwuma Soludo as the governor-elect of Anambra State.

Justice Taiwo Oladipupo Taiwo, in a judgment, described the suit as frivolous, irritating, and lacking in merit.

The judge awarded a punitive cost of N2 million against the two plaintiffs to be paid to Soludo and his deputy, Ibezim.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Headline

‘Why We Will Allow ‘Repentant’ Boko Haram Terrorists To Go Scot-free’—Borno Gov

Published

on

By

Governor of Borno State, Babagana Zulum has said the state government will not prosecute ‘repentant’ Boko Haram insurgents.

While presenting the 2022 budget at the State House Of Assembly on Tuesday, Zulum said terrorists will not be encouraged to eschew violence if they see ‘repentant’ ones being prosecuted.

Addressing the House of Assembly, the governor said, “Mr. Speaker, honourable members, we need Allah’s guidance and the utmost wisdom to work for an end to the crisis facing our dear state.

Advertisement

“Prosecuting all the criminals (insurgents) would have been most appropriate but if we insist on it, we would discourage others out there that are willing to lay down their arms.

“The terrorists’ ranks could swell and our innocent fellow citizens, particularly those in local government areas, could become more vulnerable to attacks and abductions.”

READ ALSO: Police Rescue Soldier, 15 Others Abducted By Boko Haram

Noting that the exercise to de-radicalise terrorists is being handled by security forces, Zulum said the initiative does not give terrorists the freedom to kill and immediately seek pardon.

Advertisement

He said none of the ‘repentant’ terrorists had been reintegrated into society yet, adding that terrorists willing to surrender must immediately “stop further attacks on civilians, security agents and facilities”.

 

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending