News
27 years After, Ken Saro-Wiwa, 8 Other Martyrs Of Extractivism Remembered
Published
3 years agoon
By
Editor
Twenty seven years after Ken Saro-Wiwa, a Nigerian known for his activisism for environmental justice was murdered alongside eight other Ogoni leaders by the authorities of Nigeria, some Civil Society Organisations, CSOs, across the African continent have chosen date of his murder -November 10, to celebrate him and other environmental activists that were murdered. This is because even after their departure, their spirit lives on and the struggle they
led continues to inspire the resistance to ecological crimes by
extractive companies in Nigeria and around the world.
Saro-Wiwa, during his live time was quoted to have said: “We are going to demand our rights peacefully, non violently and we shall win. I tell you this, I may be dead but my ideas will not die,” and this was exactly the approach he adopted to fight for environmental justice, yet he was murdered by the Sanni Abach’s dictatorship regime on November 10, 1995.
READ ALSO: Kathy Hochul Becomes First Elected Woman Governor Of New York
The death of the Ogoni leaders followed a brutal crackdown by the
Nigerian government on peaceful demonstrators who were frustrated by the destruction of their land and livelihoods. Ken Saro-Wiwa was executed along with the eight Ogoni leaders: Saturday Dobee, Nordu Eawo, Daniel Gbooko, Paul Levera, Felix Nuate, Baribor Bera, Barinem Kiobel and John Kpuine.
Twenty-seven years later, despite witnesses accepting they had been
bribed to testify falsely against the activists, justice has still not
been served.
Today, Oilwatch groups including Health of Mother Earth Foundation
(HOMEF), Earthlife Johannesburg, CAPPA, Kabetkache Women Development Centre, Centre for Environmental Justice (Togo) remembers the Ogoni 9 and other martyrs of extractivism across the world and pledge they their defence of the planet are the heroic climate action the world should
adopt.
Celebrating the departed environmental activists, Nnimmo Bassey, an environmental activist and the Director Health of
Mother Earth Foundation (HOMEF) said: “Today as we remember Ken Saro-Wiwa and the eight Ogoni leaders who were wrongfully executed by the Nigerian state on November 10 1995, we also call to mind the several earth and human rights defenders who have been martyred across the world
by, or for, fossil fuel and mining corporations.
“Blood has flowed, our
lands have been polluted, and the world is heating. We demand justice for our heroes, a halt to dependence on fossil fuels — the real climate action— and a restoration of all polluted lands and reparation for
ecocide.”
Also celebrating the departed activists,Makoma Lakelakala of Earthlife Johanesburg said: “As the World discusses the deteriorating climate concerns at the ongoing COP27, the need to shift away from dirty energy has never been more urgent.
“In honour of climate protectors whose lives were brutally cut short the UNFCCC needs to have a clause in the negotiated climate convention that ensures protection of those upholding the rights of nature, planet and people.
On his part, Celestine Akpobari, Team Leader at Peoples Advancement Centre, Nigeria, shared that “On this occasion, we want to remind the world that the
situation of things in Ogoni and are far worse than they were in the
days of Ken Saro-Wiwa. It has been said during this climate change
conference that the world is on a speed lane to climate Hell, but I want to say that Ogoni people have been there all these years.”
Akpobari further stated that “the planned forceful resumption of oil
operations in Ogoniland should be halted as it is capable of provoking
conflict. We also resist the new scramble for African oil and gas.”
READ ALSO: Omokri Opens Up On Dumping Atiku For Peter Obi
Emem Okon, Director Kabetkache Women Development and Resource Centre in Nigeria noted that “As we remember Ken Saro-Wiwa and other martyrs today, we pledge to carry on with their messages, and insist that all polluted areas be cleaned up and polluters held accountable for their
ecological crimes in communities across the world..”
The CSOs therefore demand justice and exoneration of Ken Saro-Wiwa and all martyrs of extractivism.
You may like
News
Shock As Adeleke Employs Roadside puff-puff Hawker As Govt House Chef
Published
4 hours agoon
August 30, 2025By
Editor
Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, on Thursday shocked a female puff-puff seller during a rally in Osogbo by buying all her snacks with ₦50,000 and offering her employment as a chef at the Government House.
This happened when Osun public servants trooped out in their thousands in what they called an appreciation solidarity rally in support of the governor for his support and care since he took over state governance.
It was observed that the governor, who sat in the bus, had sighted the woman who was among the crowd cheering him.
He immediately beckoned to the woman carrying a plastic container filled with puff-puff on her head and asked how much it would cost to buy all the snacks.
READ ALSO:Adeleke Flies To US For Davido’s Wedding
The female hawker, who was visibly surprised and star-struck at the level of her proximity to the governor, found it difficult to even tell the governor how much she sold the snacks.
Surprisingly, Adeleke handed her a bundle of ₦50,000 to the cheers of the crowd.
The lucky woman knelt down in appreciation of the governor’s generosity.
Excited onlookers quickly rushed to share the snacks in the plastic already purchased by the governor.
READ ALSO:Tinubu Hosts Gov Adeleke, Deji Adeleke, Davido In Lagos
The governor invited the vendor inside the vehicle where one of his officials questioned her academic background, and she revealed that she holds a Nigerian Certificate in Education.
Adeleke further asked about the dishes she could prepare and instructed his aides to take her contact details for employment as a chef in the Government House.
Confirming the development, the Commissioner II at the Osun State Civil Service Commission, Olaniyan Taofeek, shared the video on X (formerly Twitter), writing: “The moment Gov. Adeleke turned the life of a puff-puff seller into a Government House chef.”
READ ALSO:It’s Like He Came Back – Davido Discloses Son’s Resemblance To Late Ifeanyi Adeleke
A Special Assistant to the Governor on Digital Media, Oni Gbenga Lawrence, also corroborated the incident in a post on X, stating: “Moment Governor Ademola Adeleke turned the life of a puff-puff seller to Government Chef… not only ₦50k but he invited her into his car and employed her as chef in the Government House.”
The Guardian correspondent, who was at the scene of the welcome rally, made efforts to interview the lucky vendor, but they did not yield as she was not allowed to alight from the bus throughout the event.
(The Guardian)
News
Katsina Govt Revokes Licenses Of All Private, Community Schools
Published
4 hours agoon
August 30, 2025By
Editor
The Katsina State Government has withdrawn the operating licenses of all private and community schools in the state, with effect from August 13, 2025.
The announcement came through a circular issued by the Ministry of Basic and Secondary Education and signed by Commissioner Hajiya Zainab Musa-Musawa.
The ministry’s Public Relations Officer, Malam Sani Danjuma, released the document in Katsina on Saturday.
READ ALSO:JUST IN: Kastina Commissioner Assassinated
According to the circular, the move is part of the government’s effort to strengthen quality assurance and standardization within the education sector.
“The withdrawal of licenses is aimed at ensuring that schools operate in line with approved standards and provide quality education to students,” Danjuma said.
The circular also outlined a review of fees for license application, registration, and annual renewal.
READ ALSO:Katsina, UNDP To Return 270,000 IDPs To Ancestral Homes
“Owners of affected schools are required to obtain fresh licenses by submitting proof of payment to the ministry on or before September 30, 2025.”
The statement also added that school operators have been warned not to increase tuition or other charges without government approval.
The ministry further promised to issue additional guidelines soon, including categorization of schools and the revised fee structure.
News
JUST IN: Oldest Missionary To Nigeria, Ruth Elton, Is Dead
Published
6 hours agoon
August 30, 2025By
Editor
British-born Nigerian missionary, Ruth Elton, reputed to be the oldest missionary has passed on at the age of 91.
Ruth Elton, born 7 September 1933, was a British-born Nigerian missionary whose lifelong dedication to faith, healing, and revival left an indelible mark on communities across western and central Nigeria.
It was learnt that Elton died on Saturday at Sharon compound, Alafia Bamin Quarters in Ilesa, Osun State.
She was the only daughter of Pa Elton and her remains have been deposited at the mortuary.
READ ALSO: BREAKING: Former Customs Comptroller-General, Ahmed Aliyu Mustapha, Is Dead
Ruth Elton, daughter of Sydney Granville Elton (Pa Elton), who is referred to as one of the founding fathers of Pentecostalism in Nigeria, had approached a Kaduna court and nationalised as a Nigerian.
At old age and despite the happenings in Nigeria, she still held in high esteem her father’s prophecies that although Nigeria could be known globally for corruption, it would only for a while as new dawn would beckon when the country would be known worldwide for righteousness and prosperity.
Elton moved to Nigeria in 1937 with her parents and served as a Christian missionary across Egbe, Okene, Koton Karfe, and other parts of Kogi, Ondo, Oyo, and Osun States.
READ ALSO: Viral TV Judge Frank Caprio Is Dead
A naturalised Nigerian, having renounced her British citizenship in the 1970s, she embraced the country completely and became fluent in Ebira and Yoruba.
Elton, who remained single, believed that she had made a true mark in the country and apart from her missionary work, she saw her efforts in taming infant mortality, especially in Okene, Kogi State as a generational impact.
Relating her experience on infant mortality in the country, Elton recently noted that many newborn babies had passed on due to lack of proper care and hygiene, adding that the practice of force-feeding babies contributed to the challenges, especially in the face of poor awareness.
- Anambra Lady, Lover Arrested For Staging Own Kidnap
- 35-year-old Man Electrocuted In Ebonyi
- Police Foil Robbery On Sagamu-Benin Expressway, Recover Stolen Tricycle In Ogun
- Nigerian Man Pleads Guilty In US To $405,000 Romance Scam Against American Women
- UK Bars Over 100 Job Roles From Foreign Recruitment To Curb Migration
- Chelsea Vs Barcelona, Arsenal Vs Bayern — UEFA Releases Fixture Date, Time
- Shock As Adeleke Employs Roadside puff-puff Hawker As Govt House Chef
- PM Killed In Israeli Strike, Say Yemen’s Huthis
- Wike Gives Update On Rivers Emergency Rule Expires Date
- Police Arrest Kidnap Kingpin, Others In Benue
Trending
- News5 days ago
NAFDAC Warns Of Fake Postinor-2 In Circulation
- News2 days ago
JUST IN: Immigration Hikes Passport Fees To N100,000, N200,000
- Politics5 days ago
PDP Zones 2027 Presidential Ticket To South
- Sports5 days ago
Brazil Names Squad Without Neymar, Vinicius For World Cup Qualifiers [FULL LIST]
- Sports5 days ago
Enabulele Confident Of Team Edo’s Success At 2025 NYG
- Politics3 days ago
Edo PDP Knocks Okpebholo Over ₦2.5b Donation To UBTH
- News5 days ago
Tinubu Signs Direct Flight, Other Agreements With Brazil
- Sports5 days ago
Sports Commission Boss Commends Team Edo Athletes For Continental Triumph
- News3 days ago
Firm Wants Attorney-General Investigate Court Ruling On Breach Of Contract
- News5 days ago
PHOTOS: Brazil Welcomes Tinubu With Full Military Honours In Brasília