Metro
Abducted Pastor Escapes, Surfaces In Kwara As Kidnappers Sleep Off
Published
3 years agoon
By
Editor
Oke Ako, a community in the Ajoni Local Council Development Area of Ekiti State, erupted in joy on Tuesday as a cleric, Michael Adeyeye of Christ Apostolic Church in the community escaped unhurt from the four gunmen who abducted him on Saturday.
Residents of the community could not believe their ears when news filtered in on Tuesday morning that the cleric had escaped and was at Eruku in Kwara State awaiting vehicle to convey him back to Oke Ako.
It was carnival like as the cleric arrived the community in the afternoon to the waiting arms of youths and the elderly who sang and danced round the town.
Adeyeye, while recalling his experience, said he, alongside the four gunmen who initially demanded N50million ransom before reducing it to N15million, walked in the forest throughout Saturday night and Sunday.
READ ALSO: 2023: ‘I’m Divinely Inspired To Contest, Assume Delta Governorship’ – Otuaro
He said, “We were in church for a vigil on Saturday. At about 10.20pm, four armed men arrived the church, saying ‘where is pastor?’ On locating me, they tied my hands and ordered me to follow them. We went into the bush.
“The following day, Sunday, they asked me to call my family to get N50million ransom across to them for me to regain my freedom. We were using my phone which they had already seized for the calls. Later, they reduced the ransom to N15million.
“Unfortunately for the gunmen, on Monday morning, at about 5am, the God of covenant demonstrated his awesomeness. I saw the CAC Founder, Apostle Ayo Babalola, in a vision. That was what woke me up to discover that my abductors were fast asleep.
“So, I rose and stealthily moved away from the location into the bush. I kept walking in the bush until Tuesday morning when I got to Eruku, a town in Kwara State. On getting to the town, I called one of my brothers whose phone number I know offhand.”
Adeyeye, who said that his abductors were Fulani Bororos going by their language and physical appearance, added, “Their guns looked like AK-47, the guns appeared fabricated. I am happy for my escape. I am happy to be reunited with my people and church members. I can see love from the community.”
The cleric, who lauded security agencies for their efforts since he was abducted on Saturday, said, “The report I had on my return is that operatives of the police, Amotekun, Nigerian Army, vigilante and local hunters did their best on the matter. Our people said the security agencies went into the bush on rescue mission to ensure my release and apprehension of the criminals.”
The PUNCH reports that Oke Ako residents have been complaining that the community is under the siege of herdsmen who they complained were committing all sorts of atrocities including attacks in the farms, kidnappings and making lives unbearable for them.
You may like
Three Killed As Suspected Bandits Ambush Motorists In Kwara
Ekiti 2026: APC Aspirant Slams Oyebanji For Threatening Party Leaders
Police Arrest Man For Allegedly Dismembering Pregnant Sister-in-law In Kwara
Fire Destroys 28 Shops At Popular Kwara Market
Vigilante Shoots Father Who Prevented Kidnapper Son’s Arrest In Kwara
Ekiti Court Remands Lady For Stealing New Born In Health Facility
Metro
Truck Crushes Man Rushing For Jumu’ah Prayers In Rivers
Published
1 hour agoon
August 29, 2025By
Editor
A trailer loaded with goods has crushed a Muslim faithful rushing for Friday prayers to death in Port Harcourt.
According to Vanguard, the tragic incident happened on the ever-busy Nkpolu junction axis of the East-West road, Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of Rivers State, around 2:05 pm.
It was gathered that the victim was crossing the busy road when a black SUV on speed knocked him down and that the truck, which was on high speed, crushed him to death.
READ ALSO:US Struck Iran With B-2 Bombers, Submarine-launched Missiles – Top US General
A source, who witnessed the incident, narrated that the young man was behind some of his Muslim brothers, who were also going for the Friday prayers, when the incident happened.
The source, who gave his name simply as Tunde, said the other worshipers had crossed, but that the victim, who did not observe the traffic very well before entering the road, was knocked down by the vehicle.
READ ALSO:Rivers Staff, Pensioners Audit Sparks Outrage
The source said that when the SUV brought him down, a trailer that was on the speed lane ran over him, dismembering the body beyond recognition.
However, the Muslim faithful who were with him took over the highway in protest until police operatives arrived at the scene.
Meanwhile, the police restored normalcy while the protesting Muslims took the remains for burial.
Metro
Three Killed As Suspected Bandits Ambush Motorists In Kwara
Published
11 hours agoon
August 29, 2025By
Editor
Gunmen suspected to be Fulani bandits have allegedly launched a deadly attack on motorists along the Rore and Aranorin communities in Irepodun Local Government Area of Kwara State, leaving at least three people dead.
The incident, which occurred on Thursday, threw residents and travellers into a state of panic as news of the killings spread across the area.
In a video obtained by SaharaReporters, the victims were seen lying lifeless on the roadside, their bodies partially covered with clothing and leaves by sympathisers who arrived at the scene after the attackers had fled.
Eyewitnesses told SaharaReporters that the armed men, believed to be operating from hideouts in nearby forests, opened fire on the unsuspecting motorists in what appeared to be a coordinated ambush.
READ ALSO:INEC Fixes Voter Registration Resumption Dates For Anambra Election, Nationwide
It remains unclear whether the attackers also abducted any victims during the assault, as details were still emerging as of Friday morning.
The attack is the latest in a growing wave of violence that has gripped Kwara State’s Ifelodun and Irepodun local government areas in recent months.
Communities such as Babanla, Shegbe, Ologomo, Alabe, and Oreke in Ifelodun Local Government have faced repeated attacks, forcing hundreds of residents to flee their ancestral homes.
Many victims have been kidnapped for ransom, while others have been killed in similar raids.
READ ALSO:27 Feared Dead In Kwara Boat Mishap
Residents expressed fears that the violence could escalate further unless urgent security measures are taken.
Some community leaders have called on both the state and federal governments to deploy more security personnel to the affected areas, noting that many villages have been left vulnerable as attacks continue unabated.
As of the time of filing this report, the Kwara State Police Command had yet to release an official statement on the incident.
However, sources indicate that security operatives have been mobilised to the area to prevent further violence and reassure residents.
READ ALSO:Why Portable Was Remanded In Kwara Prison Revealed
On August 24, 2025, SaharaReporters reported that hours after Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq visited Babanla community in Ifelodun Local Government Area to reassure residents of improved security, suspected bandits abducted two people in the area.
The governor visited the area to reassure residents and restore a sense of security amid ongoing fears of banditry and kidnappings.
However, the criminals struck soon after his departure, highlighting the persistent threat and heightening tension in the community.
The incident reportedly threw residents into fresh panic despite earlier promises of tighter security measures.
Metro
Suspected Amasiri Warriors Invade Ebonyi Community, Behead Farmer Amid Land Dispute
Published
11 hours agoon
August 29, 2025By
Editor
Tragedy struck on Tuesday, August 26, at Okporojo Idima, Oso Edda in the Edda Local Government Area of Ebonyi State, as armed warriors from neighbouring Amasiri community reportedly invaded the farmland of one Mr. Dike Nnachi, beheaded him, and took his head away as a trophy.
The attack marks a continuation of violent hostilities in the area, coming barely four months after the April invasion in which at least four people, including a pregnant woman and her 12-year-old son, were brutally killed.
That incident also left property worth millions of naira destroyed.
Residents told reporters that the latest killing has deepened fears across Oso Edda, as locals now question the effectiveness of the state government’s ongoing peace efforts.
READ ALSO:Two Die As Mining Pit Collapses In Ebonyi
The Governor of Ebonyi State, Francis Nwifuru, had, through the Ministry of Border Peace and Conflict Resolution, initiated dialogue between warring communities to stem the tide of violence.
However, Tuesday’s bloodshed is seen as a direct challenge to those peace moves.
Community leaders have called for urgent intervention, warning that unless decisive action is taken, the violence could escalate further, leaving more lives and property in jeopardy.
In April, renewed violence broke out over a longstanding land dispute between Ndukwe community in Amasiri, Afikpo Local Government Area, and Okporojo in Edda Local Government Area of the state.
READ ALSO:Radio Station Suspends GM For Criticising Ebonyi Gov
The hostilities left houses and properties worth millions of naira destroyed, as attackers, reportedly from Amasiri, launched assaults on Okporojo.
The worsening security situation forced many residents of Edda to abandon the Amasiri road, opting instead to travel through Afikpo town due to fear of further attacks.
Although previous administrations attempted to resolve the crisis, including the release of a white paper based on a government committee’s recommendations, implementation has reportedly stalled, allowing the conflict to fester and violence to recur.
- Police Urge Bauchi Residents To Remain Calm Amidst Soldier’s Death In Bauchi
- Truck Crushes Man Rushing For Jumu’ah Prayers In Rivers
- Four Places In The World Without Traffic Lights
- Nigerian Student Wins ‘Top In World’ Cambridge IGCSE English Award
- How Becoming Bank Manager At 27 Changed My Life, Tony Elumelu Urges Trust In Africa’s Youths
- Lawyer Sues Sanwo-Olu For Blocking Him On X
- Heed NiMet’s Flood Early Warning, NOA Urges Nigerians
- Iran Has Executed At Least 841 People This Year — UN
- Russia Hits Out At Macron For Calling Putin ‘Ogre’
- Trump Moves To Cut More Foreign Aid, Risking Shutdown
Trending
- Politics4 days ago
[BREAKING] Edo: APC Suspends Ex-senatorial Aspirant Of Party
- News4 days ago
NAFDAC Warns Of Fake Postinor-2 In Circulation
- Headline4 days ago
US Comedian Reggie Carroll Shot Dead In Mississippi
- News1 day ago
JUST IN: Immigration Hikes Passport Fees To N100,000, N200,000
- Headline4 days ago
US Defends New Social Media Vetting For Nigerian Visa Applicants
- Politics4 days ago
PDP Zones 2027 Presidential Ticket To South
- Politics4 days ago
Why APC Candidates Contested 2023 LG Election Despite Intimidation — State Chairman
- Sports4 days ago
Brazil Names Squad Without Neymar, Vinicius For World Cup Qualifiers [FULL LIST]
- Headline4 days ago
Again, Russia Claims Another Village In Ukraine’s Region
- News4 days ago
Things To Know As INEC Begins Physical Voter Registration Monday