Metro
Again, Court Rejects Abba Kyari’s Fresh Bail Request

Justice Emeka Nwite of the Federal High Court in Abuja, on Wednesday, dismissed a fresh bail application the detained Deputy Commissioner of Police, Abba Kyari, filed to be released on bail, pending the conclusion of his trial.
Kyari is facing an eight-count charge bordering on drug trafficking brought against him by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency.
The NDLEA alleged that Kyari and his men, sometime between January 19 and 25, 2022, at the office of Inspector-General of Police, IRT, Abuja, in connivance with one ASP John Umoru (now at large), ACP Sunday J. Ubia, ASP Bawa James, Insp. Simon Agirigba and Insp. John Nuhu, unlawfully tampered with 21.25kilograms worth of cocaine that they seized from the two convicted drug traffickers- Chibunna Patrick Umeibe and Emeka Alphonsus Ezenwane- even as it also accused them of dealing in cocaine worth 17.55kg.
READ ALSO: Drug Trafficking Trial: Court Grants Abba Kyari 2 Weeks Bail
The charge stated that this is contrary to section 14(b) of the NDLEA Act, CAP N30 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004, the defendants.
The court had, in two previous rulings, denied the defendant’s bail and ordered their remand at Kuje prison.
The Court of Appeal in Abuja also refused Kyari’s request for bail.
At today’s sitting, Justice Nwite, in a ruling, held that Kyari’s application lacked merit.
READ ALSO: JUST IN: Nigeria To Send First Civilian To Space
He stated that Kyari failed to establish any exceptional circumstance that would warrant the exercise of judicial discretion in his favour.
The trial judge said that the court had earlier dismissed a similar bail application that was brought before it and ordered an accelerated hearing of the case.
He said no evidence was shown to convince the court why it should depart from its earlier ruling.
Justice Nwite rejected Kyari’s application and approved that the NLDEA, proceed with the prosecution of both Kyari and his co-defendants in the matter.
READ ALSO: Tinubu Flies Private Jet To S’Africa, Avoids Faulty Presidential Aircraft
Recall that the court last month granted Kyari temporary bail from prison custody to enable him to participate in his mother’s final burial rites.
The court granted him N50m bail for two weeks and two sureties in like sum.
Previously, Kyari had filed an application to challenge the charge brought against him which the court on March 22, 2023, dismissed.
Kyari, through his team of lawyers led by Mr Nureni Jimoh (SAN), argued that the charge was legally defective and premature.
READ ALSO: Deadly Fire At Army Ammunition Depot In Chad’s Capital
He added that the NDLEA ought to have allowed police to exhaust its internal machinery before filing the applications in court.
He claimed that the Police had already commenced an investigation into allegations against him and issued an interim report.
The defendant argued that he could only be charged to court upon the conclusion of the internal investigation by the police.
PUNCH
Metro
Sokoto Police Arrest Suspected Cultists, Uncover WhatsApp Recruitment Channel

The Sokoto State Police Command has arrested three suspected members of the notorious “Sai Malam” cult group, believed to be behind rising criminal activities in parts of the state.
The suspects, including the alleged gang leader Usman Shu’aibu, were apprehended on Friday during an intelligence-led operation executed by the command’s Anti-Kidnapping Unit.
According to the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Ahmad Rufa’i, the suspects confessed to being initiated into the group through a private WhatsApp platform called Red Chamber.
The police noted that further investigation discovered the social media channel was created to recruit unsuspecting youths into criminal activities.
READ ALSO:Police Crack Down On Criminal Network In Delta Community, Recover AK-47
These, according to the statement, include ritual practices, the pursuit of supposed demonic powers, acts of homosexuality, and violent thuggery.
The police warned parents to closely monitor their children’s online activities closely, noting that criminal groups are increasingly exploiting digital platforms to lure vulnerable youths.
Commissioner of Police, Ahmed Musa, said the arrests respond directly to public concerns about the group’s operations, adding that efforts are ongoing to track other fleeing members.
He assured residents of the command’s commitment to sustaining intelligence-driven policing and safeguarding lives and property across the state.
READ ALSO:Hoodlums Stab Police Officer To Death In Ondo
In other news, two persons suspected to be hoodlums have been arrested by the operatives of the Ondo State Police Command for allegedly stabbing a police officer to death in Akure, the state capital.
The suspects, identified as Shina Jacob, 25, and Felix Olalekan, 32, allegedly attacked the police inspector during an altercation at Oke-Arata within Arakale axis.
The killing of the police officer came a few days after a personnel of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) was stabbed to death by a mentally unstable man in Oba-Ile area of Akure.
According to sources, after the inspector, who was recently transferred from the Anti-Cultism Unit to B-Division, was stabbed, the area was thrown into a state of panic as residents and traders hurriedly fled.
READ ALSO:Police Arrest 26 Over Fake Currency, Adulterated Diesel In Lagos
While confirming the incident, the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Olayinka Ayanlade, disclosed that the officer was rushed to the hospital after he was stabbed but gave up the ghost while receiving treatment.
“An altercation ensued between the officer and some recalcitrant individuals, during which the officer was tragically stabbed. This unfortunate event triggered an immediate and coordinated police response.
“Acting swiftly, the Commissioner of Police deployed a team of operatives to the scene, resulting in the arrest of two suspects directly connected to the incident. They include Shina Jacob ‘m’ aged 25 years and Felix Olalekan ‘m’ aged 32 years.
“The injured officer was also rescued and rushed to the hospital; however, despite all efforts, the police inspector sadly passed away while receiving treatment. The follow-up operation conducted last night formed part of the Command’s sustained and strategic efforts to rid the state of violent criminal elements and prevent further breaches of public safety,” Ayanlade stated.”
Metro
Army, Air Force Crush ISWAP Fighters After Failed Chibok Attack

Troops of the 28 Task Force Brigade, Sector 4 Operation Hadin Kai, on Saturday stopped a major attack by ISWAP/Boko Haram fighters in Chibok, Borno State, before the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) moved in with airstrikes that killed many of the fleeing terrorists.
The report was contained in a post shared on X by security analyst Zagazola Makama.
According to the update, more than 300 terrorists launched a coordinated assault on Chibok around 3:00 a.m., attempting to break through military defensive positions.
Soldiers responded immediately, engaging the attackers in a fierce gunfight that lasted about two hours.
READ ALSO:Army Releases List Of Shortlisted Candidates For SSC Course
A security source quoted in the post said the troops acted swiftly and professionally.
“There was no casualty on our side, and no equipment was affected,” the source said.
As the terrorists began to retreat toward the Timbuktu Triangle, ground troops called for air support.
NAF combat aircraft were deployed to the route used by the fleeing fighters.
READ ALSO:NAF Redeploys 25 Senior Officers
The airstrikes, guided by intelligence from the troops on the ground, hit several clusters of terrorists trying to escape.
Multiple waves of strikes were carried out, with both manned aircraft and an unmanned aerial platform targeting groups of fighters dispersing into the forest.
According to Makama, the combined efforts of the Army and the Air Force dealt heavy blows to the attackers, preventing them from regrouping after the failed offensive.
Metro
Tanker Crash Kills Three, Fire Razes Shops In Kano

Three people died on Friday after a petrol tanker crashed and caught fire in Kura Local Government Area of Kano State, while a separate blaze destroyed shops at Hamisu Plaza along Maiduguri Road.
The incidents were detailed in a statement issued on Saturday by the Public Relations Officer of the Kano State Fire Service, ACFO Saminu Yusif Abdullahi.
According to the statement, the first accident occurred around 1:30 p.m. when the agency received a call from retired Civil Defence officer Danlami Muhammad.
He reported that a tanker had fallen at the Kura market junction along Zaria Road.
READ ALSO:
“Firefighters rushed from the headquarters to the scene and found a petrol tanker with the registration number NGZ 250 XA carrying about 30,000 litres of fuel. The tanker had overturned, caught fire and struck a cyclist who was on the road.
“The incident affected four people. Three of the victims were found unconscious and were later confirmed dead, while the cyclist managed to escape alive,” the Fire Service said.
Firefighters, working with the police and the Federal Road Safety Corps, brought the situation under control.
The victims were handed over to ASP Ahmad Lawan of the Kura Police Division.
READ ALSO:Five Injured As Tanker, Bus Collide In Lagos
Two fire trucks, one from the headquarters and another from the Kura station responded to the call. The cause of the crash is still being investigated.
The second incident happened around 2:45 p.m. after the control room received a distress call from Fire Assistant III Ahmad Gwangwazo, reporting a fire at Hamisu Plaza in Taruni LGA.
On arrival, firefighters found a two-storey commercial building measuring about 200 by 200 feet with flames coming from the upper floor.
“The fire affected three shops, while two others were saved,” the statement said.
The team was able to prevent the fire from spreading to the remaining shops on the first floor and the entire ground floor.
READ ALSO:Petrol Tanker Explodes In Ibadan
A fire truck stationed at the ongoing trade fair also joined the operation. The cause of this fire is also under investigation.
The Director of the Kano State Fire Service, Alhaji Sani Anas, urged residents to be extra careful, especially during the harmattan season.
“He is appealing to the general public to handle fire with care to avoid disasters.
“He further urged motorists to drive calmly and follow traffic rules to prevent accidents that may lead to loss of life or property,” the statement added.
Metro5 days agoJUST IN: Again, Terrorists Storm Kwara Community, Kidnap Pregnant Woman, 10 Children, Others
News4 days agoHow To Access Your Pension Before Retirement
News4 days agoBREAKING: Tinubu Declares Nationwide Security Emergency, Orders Armed Forces To Recruit More Personnel
Headline4 days agoCoup In Guinea-Bissau? Soldiers Deployed Near Presidential Palace After Gunfire
Metro3 days agoJUST IN: One Dead As Ngige Escapes Assassination
News3 days agoGuinea-Bissau Coup: FG Gives Update On Ex-President Jonathan
Metro3 days agoBREAKING: Bandits Abduct Teenage Boy, Six Girls From FCT Community
News3 days agoOkpebholo Fires EDOGIS Managing Director
News4 days agoTinubu Appoints Non-Career Ambassadors For US, UK, France
Politics5 days agoCrack In Edo APC As Group Accuses Party Chieftain Of Acting Opposition’s Script













