Connect with us

News

Complete Road Repairs Before Rainy Season, Okpehbolo Directs Contractors

Published

on

Governor Monday Okpebholo of Edo State has charged contractors handling some failed sections of the Benin-Ekpoma-Auchi highway to ensure that the project is completed before the onset of the rainy season.

Okpebholo and his entourage were en route to Irrua, in the Esan Central Local Government Area of the state on Saturday, when he made a brief stopover at several sections of the Benin -Ekpoma-Auchi highway to inspect the level of repairs done so far, while urging contractors to speed up work.

The Edo State Government is handling the ongoing palliative work on the failed sections of the road.

Advertisement

While at both the Obadan and Okpoji junctions, Okpebholo interacted with the contractors and inquired them if there were challenges.

He urged them to execute the job in line with contractual specifications.

READ ALSO: Okphebholo Inauguration Committee Promises First Class Show As Preparation In Top Gear

Advertisement

The governor said, “This is to charge contractors handling some failed sections of the Benin-Ekpoma-Auchi highway to make sure the project is completed before the rainy season begins.

“We want to assure everyone that the government is doing everything possible to ensure that these roads are motorable.”

The sections inspected by the governor included Ugha, Ehor, Ihie, Utene, Igieduma, Okemuen communities.

Advertisement

Others included Power Line off Ukhun road Eguare Ekpoma, Iruekpen, Idumebo, Okpoji junction, among others.

READ ALSO: Edo Guber: Ex-PDP BoT Member Joins APC, Says ‘I Regret Supporting Obaseki

At Power Line off Ukhun Road, Eguare in Ekpoma, where the highway was completely cut off, residents of the area were full of praises for Okpebholo and thanked him for rescuing them and ensuring that they were not cut off from other parts of the State.

Advertisement

At Okpoji junction in Ekpoma, a large crowd of residents welcomed the Governor and appreciated his administration for the quality of work done.

They assured him that they would continue to support his government to enable him to deliver the dividends of democracy to the Edo people.

A student at Ambrose Ali University Ekpoma, Mr. Christian Obi, who spoke on the repairs of the failed section at Power Line, off Ukhun Road, Eguare Ekpoma, expressed happiness over the repairs and thanked the Governor for restoring the area which was almost cut off from other parts of the state.

Advertisement

Mrs. Margaret Agbonzele, who spoke at the Okpoji junction section of the road, said the governor has put smiles on their faces by addressing the challenges along that axis.

News

Benin Unity Cup: Ikpoba-Okha Rescue Stoppage-Time Point As Orhionmwon Hit Four In Thrilling Football Weekend

Published

on

The maiden Benin Unity Cup delivered a whirlwind of drama across Match Day Two, with Friday’s stoppage-time heroics and Saturday’s goal-laden clashes keeping fans at the Crescent Sports Club, Irhirhi, on the edge of their seats.

Ikpoba-Okha Steal Late Draw; Ovia North East Win by Walkover

Ikpoba-Okha produced one of the tournament’s standout moments on Friday as Emeka Nwaneda struck deep into stoppage time to deny Egor what had seemed a certain victory.

Advertisement

The opening fixture began cautiously, with both sides locked in a tense, goalless first half. Egor broke the deadlock barely three minutes after the restart, as Towo Eventus finished clinically to ignite celebrations in the stands and tilt momentum their way.

But just when Egor appeared set to close out the match, Ikpoba-Okha delivered a dramatic twist. In the 90th minute, Nwaneda showcased composure and flair to fire home the equaliser, stunning the Egor bench and sending the crowd into a frenzy.

READ ALSO:Ikpoba-Okha Trade Tackles With Ovia N-East As Benin Unity Cup Kicks Off

Advertisement

The day’s second match ended without a ball being kicked. Ovia North East were awarded a walkover after Uhunmwonde failed to honour their fixture, with match officials confirming the decision following the standard 30-minute waiting period.

Attention quickly shifted to Saturday’s double-header, which proved even more explosive.

Orhionmwon Overpower Ovia South West 4–2 in Six-Goal Thriller

Advertisement

Saturday’s early kick-off saw Orhionmwon storm to a commanding 4–2 victory over Ovia South West in a match brimming with attacking verve.

READ ALSO:US Museum Returns Two Benin Bronzes To Nigeria

Iworie Chinedu set the tone almost immediately, weaving through the defence to score the tournament’s fastest goal. Ovia South West replied in the 13th minute through Oghene Ovo, who finished a slick team move to restore parity.

Advertisement

But Orhionmwon seized control before the break. Osifo Osakpolor struck in the 35th minute, and four minutes later Kish Danjuma extended the lead to 3–1. The second half had barely resumed when Osakpolor completed his brace in the 46th minute, effectively putting the contest beyond reach.

Ovia South West pulled one back late on through Osadolor Lucky, but the goal served only as consolation as Orhionmwon claimed a deserved win.

Oredo Derby Ends in Six-Goal Spectacle

Advertisement

The much-anticipated Oredo derby lived up to its billing, as Oredo I and Oredo II battled to an exhilarating 3–3 draw in one of the most dramatic fixtures of the competition so far.

READ ALSO:Sen. Imasuen Champions Respect, Responsibility As ‘Comprehending Gen Z + Gen A’ Returns In Benin

Oredo II struck first when Waheed Ahmed found the net in the 27th minute, but Oredo I responded with an explosive start to the second half. Goals from Samuel Brownson (47’), Sunday Henry (49’), and a second from Brownson in the 58th minute turned the match on its head.

Advertisement

Refusing to wilt, Oredo II mounted a spirited comeback. Friday Omoregie reduced the deficit in the 52nd minute, and just two minutes later Anthony Ogudu fired home the leveller to seal a pulsating encounter.

With only two matchdays played, the Benin Unity Cup is rapidly gathering momentum—showcasing raw grassroots talent, rekindling local rivalries, and reinforcing the unifying power of football.

The tournament, sponsored by Senator Neda Imasuen, aims to empower young players and provide pathways for emerging talents to secure opportunities abroad.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Insecurity: What Sheikh Gumi Told Me After Visiting Bandits Hideouts — Obasanjo

Published

on

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has revealed details of a private discussion he held with controversial Islamic cleric, Sheikh Ahmad Gumi, regarding the state of insecurity in Nigeria’s forests and the fortification of bandit hideouts.

Speaking in an interview, Obasanjo disclosed that he invited Sheikh Gumi for a meeting following the cleric’s well-publicised visits to meet with bandits in their forest encampments.

Gumi’s firsthand account, according to Obasanjo’s revelation, challenged official narratives regarding military operations in those areas.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:FULL LIST: Wike revokes land belonging to Ilorin Emir, Lamido, Fayose, Iyabo Obasanjo, Others In Abuja

According to Obasanjo, Gumi informed him that the bandits had so heavily fortified their positions that any security personnel claiming to have penetrated those specific enclaves were lying.

Obasanjo recounted that the cleric was visibly emotional while describing the demographics of the insurgents, noting that Gumi admitted to weeping after seeing young boys, aged between 13 and 15, who were soaked in hard drugs and carrying dangerous weapons.

Advertisement

He narrated, “When Sheikh Gumi went to meet those boys in the forest, I invited him to come and see me. The first thing he said is that where those boys are they’ve fortified themself, and even if any security personnel claimed they had gone into the area, they were lying to you. He said what made him weep was [seeing] boys of 13, 14, 15 years, soaked in drugs and carrying gun.”

READ ALSO:Why I Refused To Endorse El-Rufai As My Successor — Obasanjo

The former President described the condition of these children as wrecked, stating that the situation remains a significant source of worry for the nation.

Advertisement

“They are wrecked and that worried us. 20 million children that should be in school but are not in school. Those that have no employment, no job and they see in you in abstain affluence, what do you expect them to do?”, he said.

Continue Reading

News

FULL LIST: Wike revokes land belonging to Ilorin Emir, Lamido, Fayose, Iyabo Obasanjo, Others In Abuja

Published

on

Duke, David Mark, Anenih, Ganduje, CBN, Navy, NNPC, Oyo, Kaduna, Borno, others also affected

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has approved the revocation of 1,095 properties in the FCT belonging to prominent Nigerians after they failed to pay ground rent, land use conversion or Certificate of Occupancy bills. This decision was contained in a statement signed by the management of the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) Department of Land Administration at the weekend.

The FCTA stated that the enforcement action to be taken against the defaulters commenced after a 14 day grace period, which expired on Tuesday, November 25, 2025. Out of the 1,095 defaulters, 835 were listed as ground rent defaulters, while 260 were listed as land use contravention payment defaulters. The list also contained the file numbers, plot numbers, CADZONE, districts, rent owed, and revocation dates of the listed properties.

The properties listed in the statement included those belonging to federal and state governments, businesses and prominent individuals.

Advertisement

Notable individuals on the list are former Chief of Army Staff, Theophilus Yakubu Danjuma; former First Lady, Patience Jonathan; former Senate President, David Mark; former Jigawa State governor, Sule Lamido; Senator Ali Ndume; former PDP national chairman, Abubakar Kawu Baraje; former Osun State deputy governor, Senator Iyiola Omisore; Emir of Ilorin, Ibrahim Sulu Gambari; elderstateman, Professor Bolaji Akinyemi; elderstateman, Tony Anenih; former Minister of Petroleum, Alison Madueke.

READ ALSO:BREAKING: Drama As Wike-backed PDP Expels Makinde, Mohammed, Dauda

Former governors on the list include Abdullahi Ganduje (Kano); Adeniyi Adebayo (Ekiti); Donald Duke (Cross River); Aliyu Wamakko (Sokoto); Ibrahim Dankwambo (Gombe); Ayodele Fayose (Ekiti); Olagunsoye Oyinlola (Osun).

Advertisement

Others are Minister of State for Industry, John Owan Enoh; Aminu Alhassan Dantata; Bashir Tofa; Audu Abubakar; Bello Mohamed Sani; Mohammed Rabiu; Senator from Ondo State, Senator Jimoh Ibrahim; Ado Abdullahi Bayero; Tanko Abdullahi; Adetunji Olurin; Ghali Umar Na’abba; Dorcas Kuforiji Olubi; Olu Agunloye; Kamorudeen Adekunle Adedibu; Hakeem Baba Ahmed; Iyabo Olusola Obasanjo; Shehu Musa Labaran; Onaolapo Olusegun Soleye; Babatunde Idiagbon.

Notable institutions on the list are the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), the Nigeria Navy, the Office of the National Security Adviser, Federal Ministry of Finance, Nigerian Navy, the Nigeria Police, Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Borno State, Kaduna, Oyo State governments.

READ ALSO:I’ll Support Trump To Fight Terrorism In Nigeria If… – Wike

Advertisement

Others are BUA International Limited, First Bank of Nigeria, Standard Trust Bank, Guaranty Trust Bank, Ecobank, Union Bank, United Bank for Africa (UBA), Zenith Bank, Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), Committee of Vice Chancellors of federal universities and National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW).

The FCTA added that the publication of the defaulting properties came after several notices in national dailies, online platforms and television stations requesting the defaulters to settle their financial obligations and liabilities. The FCTA further stated that by defaulting on the payments, the defaulters have “Contravenes the provisions of Section 28, Subsection 5(a) and (b) of the Land Use Act and also the terms and conditions of the grants of the respective Rights of Occupancy.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending