As a measure to curbing the dreaded COVID-19 pandemic in Edo State, the state government has placed restriction on social gathering above 50 persons until further notice even as the state records first case of the pandemic.
Edo State Governor, Mr.Godwin Obaseki, disclosed this in Benin City while briefing newsmen on COVID-19 and measure taken so far.
He said inasmuch as the disease can be transmitted from one person to another through close contact, the most effective way to prevent it wide spread was social distancing, hence the prohibition of large gathering.
“The government of Edo State advises that from today March 23, 2020, every citizen should practise social distancing inorder to prevent the coronavirus from spreading in our state.
“In order to give effect to our social distancing, gathering of more 50 people is prohibited in Edo State till further notice.
“All schools in Edo State remain closed till further notice.”
He continued, “All public officers below grade level 12, except those who provide essential services, should operate from home until further notice.
“Citizens are advised to suspend unnecessary traveling out of the state, and if possible, stay at home”, he stressed.
The governor said in order to properly address the pandemic, the state government has provided three isolation centres across the state namely, Benin, Auchi and Irua.
While calling on Edo citizens to report anyone who arrive from Europe, Asia and America in the last 30 days to the government for proper screening, Obaseki advised Edo residents to call 08084096723, 08064258163, 08035835529, 08074132019.
He called on Edo people to remain calm and co-operate with the state taskforce on COVID-19 headed by him, as he assured that the taskforce would regularly meet, review and update the public on the pandemic.
Edo State yesterday recorded first case of the pandemic at Irua Specialist Teaching Hospital, but the patient, who was said to have just returned from Europe, had been isolated and receiving treatment.