Metro
Edo: Masquerades, Traditionalists, Other Land Owners Protest Demolition, Security Operatives Arrest Five
Published
3 years agoon
By
Editor
… Protesters Cry To Ancestors For Help, Slaughter Live Chicken, Dance Round Clay Pot, Recite Incantations.
Five persons among land owners in Oke-Oroma community who on Thursday protested over the demolition of their properties by the Edo State Government were arrested by security operatives at the premises of the National Museum in Benin City.
The protesters include masquerade, traditionalists and other land owners in the community.
One of the protesters who spoke to newsmen, said combined team of security agencies made up of Department of State Security Service (DSS), policemen stormed the venue with three hilux vehicles full of personnel, two Prado Jeeps, Armoured Tank and Machine guns after the protest.
The source who spoke on condition of anonymity said the protesters were in the Museum premises to round off the protest when the security agencies stormed on them.
READ ALSO:‘Don’t Send Any Priest To Us’, Oke-Oroma Community Pleads To Oba Of Benin
Our source who said the five persons include one Comrade Ojo Collins and four others, lamented that they were yet to know where the arrested persons were taken to.
Masquerades, Traditionalists Protest
INFO DAILY reports that the people of Oke-Oroma community as well as land developers had earlier in the morning took to the streets to protest against the demolitions of their properties and alleged forceful annexation of the land by the state government.
Besides the indigenes and the victims of the demolition, traditionalists also took part in the peaceful protest in the midst of security agencies watch.
The traditionalists cladded in red attires, carried clay pot filled with substances and a chicken to add an impetus to the seriousness of the protest; masquerades were also not left out in the protest.
It was gathered that the traditionalists and the masquerades were said to be victims of the demolition, too.
It was further gathered that the shrines of the traditionalists located in the community were taken over by the government.
The protest climaxed at the ministry of Housing, Urban and Regional Planning, and Development as well as the Ministry of Justices where the traditionalists with barehand slaughtered live chicken, danced round the clay pot and recite some incantations.
The traditionalists called on their ancestors to come to their aid, and fight those allegedly taking over their ancestral lands from them
The protest, however, resulted to gridlock around the ever busy Ovorawmen Square, popularly knowns as Ring Road, Airport Road, Sapele Road as well as the adjoining streets.
Protesters Accuses Edo Govt Of Contempt Of Court
Speaking during the protest, Madam Inibokun Monday, Mr Terry Ilevbare, Monday Edo Omorogiuwa accused the Edo State government of contempt of court.
They alleged that an Edo High Court, sitting in Benin City and presided over by Vestee Eboreime had on August 4, 2022 restrained the state government and its agents from taking possession of the disputed land, pending the determination of the substantive suit.
While lamenting that state government who is supposed to obey the rule of law now acting contrary, they noted that the government cannot be a judge in its own case.
The protesters who added that the community had been existing for the past 2000 years, urged the state government to produce the documents for acquisition of the 1229 hectares of their land.
The protesters accused the state commissioner for Justice and Attorney General of not properly advising the state government on the implications of contempt of court.
They, however, vowed not to end the protest against the demolition and the alleged forceful annexation of their land until justice is done.
Edo Govt Says Land Grabbers Collect Over N1.5bn
Recall that the State Government had November 2, 2022 revealed that the alleged land grabbers collected over N1.5billion from their preys in the last two years.
READ ALSO: Land Developers Threaten To Sue Edo Govt. Over Demolitions
The Edo State Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Hon Chris Nehikhare ,who gave the revelation at a press conference told newsmen that the information was obtained from 499 people who are victims of land grabbers that came for data capturing and enumeration.
You may like
Drama At Benin Motor Park As Pastor Chase Away Colleague, Claims Exclusive Preaching Rights
Edo Hospital Denies Complicity In Death Of Twin Babies
Edo Police Arrest Doctor Over Woman’s Death During Caesarean Section
Cult Clash Leaves One Dead In Edo
Edo Issues New Guideline On Education, Says Siblings’ Textbooks Transferable, Bans Graduation For KGs, Others, [A MUST READ]
Ovia By-election, Litmus Test To APC Success In 2027, Says Edo Deputy Gov
Metro
VIDEO: Fire Averted As Fuel Tanker Explodes In Lagos
Published
6 minutes agoon
August 31, 2025By
Editor
A petroleum tanker carrying Premium Motor Spirit overturned and went up in flames on Sunday at Iyana-Isolo, inward Oshodi, Lagos.
According to The PUNCH, the fire quickly spread to at least four parked trucks in the area, but quick intervention by officials of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority helped prevent a larger disaster.
Traffic was then diverted from Ilasa inward Oshodi as the scene was cordoned off.
Preliminary investigations by LASTMA indicated that the accident was caused by overspeeding, which made the tanker driver lose control of the vehicle.
READ ALSO:Explosion Near Abuja Barracks Causes Panic, One Injured
Confirming the incident in a statement, LASTMA General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, said operatives from adjoining zones were mobilised to support the response, working alongside the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Nigeria Police Force (Aswani, Ilasa, and Mushin Divisions), and the Lagos Neighbourhood Safety Corps.
“No human casualties were recorded, thanks to the swift intervention of LASTMA operatives and other agencies.
“The preservation of life and property is at the core of our operations.
“We remain committed to ensuring a safe and orderly traffic management system across Lagos State,” Bakare-Oki said.
https://x.com/MobilePunch/status/1962199846984585635?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1962199846984585635%7Ctwgr%5E9f5a2850fda3f7144e8f4e6b63ded0550952eec8%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fpunchng.com%2Fvideo-fire-averted-as-fuel-tanker-explodes-in-lagos%2F
Metro
Drama At Benin Motor Park As Pastor Chase Away Colleague, Claims Exclusive Preaching Rights
Published
6 hours agoon
August 31, 2025By
Editor
Drama erupted at Ologbo Park by Agip Filling Station, along Sapele Road, Benin City, when a popular evangelist known as Pastor Evidence threw caution to the wind and chased away a colleague-pastor who came to the park to preach to passengers travelling from Benin to Warri, Delta State.
It is a common practice in most of the motor parks in Benin seeing pastors or better put, evangelists, preaching to passengers who are about embarking on a journey.
These pastors or evangelists thereafter offer prayers to Almighty God for a safe trip on behalf of the passengers, and in return solicit for financial assistance from the passengers for the support of their evangelical work.
READ ALSO: Edo Sports Commission Boss Celebrates Okpehbolo On Birthday
However, this voluntary preaching of the gospel turned something else on Sunday morning at the park as Pastor Evidence, in the full glare of passengers, conductors and passersby, ordered his colleague to leave the park in a loud voice, claiming the exclusive preaching right to the park.
The development angered some of the bus drivers as they came in their number in defence of the pastor.
The incident caused commotion and division amongst the drivers.
While some supported the action of the pastor others condemned him. They accused him of greed and being hostile to a fellow preacher.
A traveller who witnessed the drama criticized Pastor Evidence, saying that his actions exemplify the commercialisation of the gospel.
The passenger who spoke in anonymity said: “This is shameful. A so-called man of God can do this to a fellow pastor. Is it because of the little offering from passengers? His action further speak to the commercialisation of the word of God by fake pastors.”
Metro
Anambra Lady, Lover Arrested For Staging Own Kidnap
Published
24 hours agoon
August 30, 2025By
Editor
The Anambra State Police Command has arrested two suspects for faking a kidnap and recovered the sum of ₦1.2million, being part of the ransom earlier paid by the supposed kidnapped victim’s family members.
According to a statement released by the spokesman for the command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, on Saturday, the suspects, identified as Nmesoma Nwoye, female, aged 23 years, and Chibuike Ogbu, male, aged 24 years, were arrested after intelligence-led operations uncovered that the supposed victim conspired with Chibuike (her boyfriend) to stage her own abduction.
Ikenga said that the suspects initially demanded ₦15million ransom, and after negotiation, ₦3million was transferred into the victim’s account.
READ ALSO:Police Arrest Ex-Soldier, Four Others Over Armed Robbery, Kidnapping In Anambra
He said following the arrest of the suspects, the Commissioner of Police in the state, CP Ikioye Orutugu, expressed deep concern over the rising cases of moral decadence in the society, adding that the suspects were arrested by police operatives attached to the Rapid Response Squad, Awkuzu.
The statement read, “The suspects identified as Nmesoma Josephine Nwoye, female, aged 23 years, and Chibuike Ogbu, male, aged 24 years, were arrested after intelligence-led operations uncovered that the supposed victim conspired with Chibuike (her boyfriend) to stage her own abduction.
“The operatives also recovered the sum of ₦1,200,000, being part of the ransom earlier paid by the girl’s family members.
“Further information reveals that the suspects demanded ₦15million ransom, and after negotiation, ₦3million was transferred into the victim’s account.
READ ALSO:Police Arrest Ex-Soldier, Four Others Over Armed Robbery, Kidnapping In Anambra
“Reacting to the development, CP Orutugu described the incident as a reflection of the rising moral decay in the society, where young people are increasingly resorting to criminality for selfish gains.”
According to him, the CP urged parents, guardians, and religious leaders to intensify efforts in inculcating discipline, integrity, and sound values in their children and wards.
“The CP also warned youths against engaging in self-destructive ventures, stressing that the long arm of the law will always catch up with criminals, no matter how cleverly disguised their schemes may be,” the statement added.
- VIDEO: Fire Averted As Fuel Tanker Explodes In Lagos
- JUST IN: BBNaija Season 7 Winner, Phyna, Loses Sister, Ruth Otabor After Accident
- NSE Pledges To Mentor Young Engineers, Elects New EXCO Members In Bauchi
- Nigeria Grappling To Balance Rapid Urbanization, Infrastructure Demands — Don
- OPINION: A ‘Corruption-free’ Nigeria And Brazil As Hyena
- Drama At Benin Motor Park As Pastor Chase Away Colleague, Claims Exclusive Preaching Rights
- BREAKING: Former Inspector-General Of Police, Solomon Arase, Is Dead
- Anambra Lady, Lover Arrested For Staging Own Kidnap
- 35-year-old Man Electrocuted In Ebonyi
- Police Foil Robbery On Sagamu-Benin Expressway, Recover Stolen Tricycle In Ogun
Trending
- News3 days ago
JUST IN: Immigration Hikes Passport Fees To N100,000, N200,000
- Politics4 days ago
Edo PDP Knocks Okpebholo Over ₦2.5b Donation To UBTH
- News3 days ago
Firm Wants Attorney-General Investigate Court Ruling On Breach Of Contract
- News4 days ago
US Court Sentences Osun Monarch To Prison Over $4.2m Fraud
- News4 days ago
Ondo Bans Graduation Ceremonies In Primary, Junior Secondary Schools
- News3 days ago
Access Holdings Names New GMD/CEO
- News3 days ago
BREAKING: Former Customs Comptroller-General, Ahmed Aliyu Mustapha, Is Dead
- News3 days ago
JUST IN: NLC Defies Edo Assembly Resolution, Inaugurates Factional Caretaker Committee
- Metro4 days ago
Man Stabs Colleague To Death In Lagos Over Money Dispute
- Headline3 days ago
Two US Pastors Arrested In $50m Human Trafficking, Fraud Case