Connect with us

News

Edo Monarch, CSO Decry Abduction At Train Station

Published

on

The Onogie of Igueben, Edo State, Ehizojie Eluojierior, has said the kidnap of the train passengers on Saturday has thrown the community into an unwanted silence as people have yet to recover from the sad incident.

He claimed that kidnappings had previously happened around the area without getting reported most times.

Advertisement

He said, “The mood in the town is quiet as well as activated because the police, vigilantes, and hunters are working together on the issue. They combed the bush till midnight on Saturday and resumed Sunday morning. I hear there had been a similar attempt in Delta State by bandits from another part of the country, which was repelled. The attack took everyone by surprise and it happened at about 4pm when the train was being expected.

“The security agencies are working to rescue those people, and information has it that they also shot people who sustained injuries.

“We are still trying to find out if our people were kidnapped or shot. Some people might probably be in hospitals but we are still trying to get details of what happened. No community member has come forward to report about the kidnap of their family members.

Advertisement

“The other thing is that when these people are travelling, you don’t know if they are travelling by road or rail. Though concerned citizens have been coming to me to give information about the abduction. The council representatives have been with me to see how they can mobilise more vigilantes and hunters.

“A pursuit is going on and it is when they settle down that the gunmen can contact the family of those abducted,” the royal father added.

The Executive Director, Esan Youth for Good Governance and Social Justice, Benson Odia, told The PUNCH that a woman who was abducted escaped while revealing that the manager and booking clerk at the train station were among those still missing.

Advertisement

He said the attack had thrown the community into panic and sadness with residents wondering what had become the fate of the victims.

Odia stated that the attack took place at about 4pm on Saturday when the intending passengers were waiting to board the train to Warri, Delta State.

He said, “The official time for the train to arrive was 4pm so the attack must have happened that time. On that Saturday evening, all intending passengers were waiting to board the train when the kidnappers struck with sophisticated weapons. The abducted victims included the manager, the booking clerk and passengers, while many persons are still missing

Advertisement

“As of 8.15 pm, a woman escaped and found herself in Okpoji in Esan Central and she has reunited with her family. The woman is not from Igueben, she came for a ceremony and was at the station to take the train back to her destination in Warri.

READ ALSO: [JUST IN] Abduction: NRC Shuts Edo Train Station Indefinitely

“These attacks have become incessant in Edo Central and it is becoming difficult to use the roads,” he added.

Advertisement

Odia lamented as he alleged that those attacks were being carried out with the connivance of the locals who are from Igueben and its environs.

I cannot really say the tribes of the attackers, whether they are Nigerians or foreigners. The forest is at the back of the railway. What I am trying to say is that there is connivance between our people and others. You can’t accuse the Fulani herdsmen of being the only ones involved. A Fulani from Sokoto or other parts of the country cannot operate freely here without the collaboration of the locals.

“I will call on the state government to work with the Federal Government to site a military base in Esanland. We are aware that kidnappers have their camps in Igueben.”

Advertisement

The police and the state government officials when contacted said further statements would be released as the rescue mission went on.

 

Advertisement
Advertisements

Advertisement
Comments

News

Makinde Deploys Free Buses Over Fuel, Naira Crises

Published

on

By

The Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, on Friday night, announced the deployment of free ‘Omituntun’ transport buses to cushion the effect of the fuel scarcity and naira crises in the country on residents of the state.

Makinde announced this in a state-wide broadcast aired on the state-owned radio service, the Broadcasting Corporation of Oyo State.

Advertisement

The governor, who frowned upon the violent protests that erupted in the state earlier on Friday, said his government was ready to do whatever was needed to ease the pain of the people.

He, however, urged residents of the state to express their grievances peacefully, adding that his government would not condone the breakdown of law and order.

A statement by the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Taiwo Adisa, noted that Makinde also put security agencies in the state on high alert to avert any breakdown of law and order, according to a report by The Eagle Online.

Advertisement

According to the governor, the Omituntun Mass Transit Buses will be deployed to more routes within the state to convey resident free-of-charge in order to ameliorate the suffering of the people.

READ ALSO: New Naira: Seven Notable Quotes From El-Rufai

The governor also said he was working with the chairmen of local governments in the state to provide immediate palliatives for the vulnerable people in order to alleviate the hardships that the crises had brought upon them.

Advertisement

In the broadcast, Makinde said, “My Dear Good People of Oyo State.

“I am addressing you today because of the prevailing conditions in our state and country that have led to protests and riots, especially in Ibadan.

“First, let me say that I understand the need for these protests. When citizens get pushed to the wall, there is only so much that they can take.

Advertisement

“The continuous fuel scarcity and the scarcity of the naira have led to slow economic activities. I must repeat, I understand, and I feel your pain.

“I have always maintained that peaceful protests are fine. When things are not going how we want them to go, we have a right and even a responsibility to protest.

“Let me also state that while we are protesting, we must we must remember how easily a peaceful protest can turn violent and lead to the loss of lives and property. The violence that erupted in parts of Ibadan today (Friday) is condemnable and will not be tolerated.

Advertisement

“In response to this, I have suspended all campaign activities forthwith. I have also met with the heads of security agencies in Oyo State to restore calm and maintain the peace in our dear state.

“Violence cannot and will not solve our problems, it only creates new ones. We have another opportunity in a few weeks to move this country in a new direction. Use your PVC, not violence.

“We must not allow elements within us who have other motives to take advantage of peaceful protests to perpetrate evil or push their agendas.

Advertisement

“I urge all law-abiding citizens and residents of the state to go about their lawful activities. All our security agencies are on high alert and so, peaceful residents of the state have no cause to fear.

READ ALSO: JUST IN: Youths Protest Naira, Fuel Scarcity In Oyo

“As a palliative measure, I have directed that the Omituntun Mass Transit Buses should be deployed to more routes within the state for free.

Advertisement

“We are also working with Local Government Chairmen to see what immediate palliatives we can make available to the most vulnerable amongst us to alleviate the hardships that the twin scarcity of fuel and the naira have brought upon our people.

“Once again, we have another opportunity to put an end to oppressive systems and that is through the ballot. For now, I urge everyone to remain calm as we are doing our best to mitigate the hardships.”

Advertisement
Advertisements

Continue Reading

News

New Naira: Seven Notable Quotes From El-Rufai

Published

on

By

The Kaduna State Governor, Nasir el-Rufai, has been firing from all cylinders, claiming some unnamed persons in Aso Villa were working against the All Progressives Congress’ victory during the presidential election.

The PUNCH reports that the governor on Thursday claimed that the said people were inciting voters against the APC.

Advertisement

Below are seven of his salvos:

1. Saboteurs will be unmasked, defeated

Unmasking them is not as joyful as defeating them. They will be unmasked in time. But we have defeated them when they wanted their own people in the national working committee of the party.

Advertisement

READ ALSO::CBN Not Ready For Naira Redesign, Gov. Badaru Slams Emefiele

“We have defeated them when they wanted their own anointed person to be the presidential candidate without due regard, due process or respect for those of us that are governors, that have slaved to put this party together, campaigned for it and delivered the election twice. We didn’t matter.’’

2. Saboteurs are political amateurs/lighter weights

Advertisement

“Meanwhile, none of them has contested an election as a councillor, and if they did, they won’t win. I have been elected twice with over a million votes in Kaduna State. I can claim to speak for the people.

‘’None of these people can. We will come to the unmasking stage, this is not the stage. The stage now is to draw the attention of Nigerians that they are elements that are doing this and they don’t mean well for our party, they want to incite voters against our party, so that we lose the elections.’’

3. Saboteurs, cabal misled Buhari

Advertisement

“Once Nigerians know that they will know where some of these funny decisions are coming from and when the election is done and settled by the grace of God in about three weeks, and I’m confident, we are not sleeping.

“We are going to work hard until (February) 27th when all the election results are out and by the grace of God, Asiwaju (Tinubu) is elected and other candidates of the APC; then we will unmask them.

4. Dummies to President

Advertisement

This has been an ongoing issue and we just feel that some of these things that are being thought of and clothed with good intentions, and dummies being sold to the President so that the electorate will be incited; the people of Nigeria will be inflicted needless pain at the point in addition to all the other challenges that they are facing just so that they will revolt and say, look, we will vote for the other party. It is clear.’’

5. Case for old notes

He stated, “I have a map of Nigeria with blind spots where there is no network; PoS won’t work there. It is not everywhere that you have bank branches. It is not everywhere you have PoS working. So, let’s sit and look at this thing and find out the reasonable time it takes to do this.

Advertisement

“Even the Central Bank Act that gives the President the power to issue to the Central Bank directives with regard to currency redesign says that reasonable time must be given before the currency ceases to be legal tender.’’

6. CBN deadline unreasonable

“The question is: Is a few weeks a reasonable time in a country of one million square kilometres and over 200m people? How many bank branches are in Nigeria? How many ATMs?

Advertisement

“In Borno State, there are only two local governments out of 27 with a bank branch. In Yobe, only two local governments out of 17 have a bank branch.

READ ALSO: JUST IN: Aso Rock ‘Elements’ Working Against Tinubu’s Victory – El-Rufai

“Even a cosmopolitan state relatively in the north like Kaduna has two local governments that have no bank branches and 10 with only one bank branch. So, everyone in that local government must come to that one bank branch? And this PoS that you are seeing in every street of Lagos; do you think you have PoS in every street of Kubau, Ikara and Makarfi which are local government headquarters in my state?’’

Advertisement

7. Atiku exploiting Nigerians’ hardship

“But this week, because of a mere extension of 10 days, he’s (Atiku) turning round to say don’t extend; it means there is something. He’s clearly benefiting from this pain Nigerians are going through every day till today.

“I have reports that people in Kaduna cannot buy food and they cannot sell because there are no currency notes around. But the presidential candidate of the PDP is saying don’t extend because he’s gaining from it. The incitement of people against the APC is in his view to his advantage and this incitement is stronger in northern Nigeria where Atiku is to benefit from,’’ he submitted.
PUNCH

Advertisement

 

Advertisement
Advertisements

Continue Reading

News

Broadcast Code: NBC Slams Arise TV, TVC N2m

Published

on

By

Arise Global Media Limited and Continental Broadcasting Services Limited will pay N2m fines each for breaching Nigeria’s broadcasting codes, the National Broadcasting Commission revealed on Friday.

In separate letters signed by its Director-General, Balarabe llelah, the media watchdog said the parent companies operating Arise News and Television Continental, respectively, have allowed politically-inciting language on their platforms.

Advertisement

The NBC also said TVC News does not offer equal coverage to other political parties asides from the All Progressives Congress.

The sanctions come barely 21 days to the presidential and governorship elections which will hold on February 25, 2023.

READ ALSO: Fayemi Sues Arise TV, Former Ekiti Commissioner For Defamation, Demands N500m

Advertisement

In a letter to Continental Broadcasting Services Limited, Ilelah said the NBC monitored the consistent breach of the Nigeria broadcasting code over a period, adding that “the worrisome trend has become a house style on your channel that enjoys national coverage.”

It read, “On January 6, 2023 at 12:29pm, the Joint Media Directorate of the APC Presidential Campaign Council, Festus Keyamo, made the following comments while briefing the media.

“Obasanjo and Atiku run a criminal enterprise, an empire of fraud in Abuja. At the same time that Ahmed Bola Asiwaju was toiling hard, beautifully and meticulously to rebuild Lagos, 2 criminals were stealing money in Abuja at the time…they both stole from the SPV account at that time.

Advertisement

“On January 24 2023, at 03:39pm, during the APC Presidential Rally in Abia State, the APC Presidential Candidate Bola Tinubu after telling the public to vote APC under the symbol of broom, he went on to make the following comment ‘…You know what you do with the rest of them? They are like lizards, cockroaches and mosquitoes. Just take the broom, wipe them off.”

It also accused the station of unequal coverage of the activities of the main opposition.

Illelah wrote, “On October 10, 2022, your station started its news with 17 minutes of APC news and one minute of PDP story with a video clip that did not play.

Advertisement

“Consequently, pursuant to the aforementioned Sections of the Nigeria Broadcasting Code, TVC News is hereby sanctioned and shall pay a penalty of N2,000,000.00 (Two Million Naira Only).

“Note that the penalty shall be paid within two weeks of the receipt of this Letter or sanction shall be graduated,” the NBC said.

In a letter to Arise Global Media Limited, the Commission said, “For avoidance of doubt, some of such unprofessional broadcasts are listed below for your perusal.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: NBC Fines Arise TV Over Report On Tinubu

“On January 24, 2023, between 1.00pm – 2.27pm, Arise TV aired the Presidential campaign rally of PDP which held in Delta State, replete with unfair remarks and mockery of the APC presidential candidate by Dino Melaye.

“Mr. Melaye sang a song ‘…hand dey shake, leg dey shake, baba wey no well, e dey shout emilokan’ he further went on to fall down demonstrating the frailty of the APC presidential candidate.”

Advertisement

It argued that Arise TV did not only air the programme but repeated the clip of Dino Melaye in a mockery of the APC Presidential candidate in another programme anchored by Ojy Okpe What’s Trending.

“On January 26 2023, at 9.40am, during the programme Morning Show, a guest, Na’jaatu Muhammed described the Presidential Candidate of APC, Bola Tinubu as mentally deranged without caution from the anchor. The guest had a field day with vituperations against the presidential candidate of the APC.

“On January 31 2023, at 3:30pm, during the broadcast of the PDP presidential rally in Sokoto State, Dino Melaye referred to the Vice-Presidential candidate of APC, Kashim Shettima as GCOB, meaning Grand Commander of Bandits.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Why I’ll Not Attend Arise TV Town Hall Meeting – Tinubu

“Consequently, pursuant to the aforementioned Sections of the Nigeria Broadcasting Code, Arise TV is hereby sanctioned and shall pay a penalty of N2,000,000.00 (Two Million Naira Only),” the letter read.

The penalty shall be paid within two weeks of the receipt of the letter or sanction shall be graduated, the NBC warned.

Advertisement

Advertisements

Continue Reading

Trending