Connect with us

Politics

‘Even In War Commanders Go Off Duty’ – Okupe Knocks Obi, Defends Tinubu, Shettima

Published

on

A former presidential spokesman, Dr Doyin Okupe, has described the impression that no one is in charge of the country with President Bola Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima’s foreign trips as misleading.

Okupe, a former Director General of Peter Obi Presidential Campaign Organisation, said this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Friday in Lagos.

“Presidents and chief executives, globally, do take time off to rest for a little while.

Advertisement

“Even in war situations, field commanders go off duty to cool off from war theatres.

READ ALSO: Pilot Reveals Those Behind Super Eagles’ Flight Diversion

“The impression being given that there is no one in charge is false and preposterous. The President is head of government not government by himself,” he said.

Advertisement

According to him, in the physical absence of the President, in these days of high tech, all arms of government- judiciary, legislative and even the executive, function 100 per cent.

Okupe added, “Whether the President is in Abuja, Kaura Namoda, Pankshin, Oguta, Ilesha, Yenagoa, London or Paris, all instruments of command and control are accessible and available to him 24/7.”

He said that the opposition’s plot to feast on the issue “exposes their crass ignorance or presence of not appreciating the overriding influence of modern information management on contemporary governance.”

Advertisement

READ ALSO: PHOTOS: Sanwo-Olu Leads Inaugural Ride As Lagos Red Line Begins Operations

Okupe added that the coincidental and necessary temporary and brief trip of the Vice-President to Sweden, should not be a cause for concern.

Okupe said in the earlier republics, fear of military coups was the major basis for concern over the absence of both the President and his vice from the country at the same time.

Advertisement

He said that the nation had since moved into a civilised and stable democracy.

‘Fiscal irresponsibility; Peter Obi carpets Tinubu, Shettima trips
Shettima arrives in Sweden for two-day visit

“In these last two weeks, the wheel of the administration has been in top gear. Promotions and new appointments are being made.

Advertisement

“Policies are being implemented to the letter. Obviously there is no evidence of dereliction of duty or official irresponsibility.

READ ALSO: Bill To Establish Nigerian Coast Guard Scales Second Reading In Senate

“The truth is that elections are over and political gladiators should go back to the drawing board to restrategize for 2027,” Okupe said.

Advertisement

Recall that Tinubu departed for the United Kingdom on Oct. 2, for a two-week working leave.

Also, Shettima left Abuja on Wednesday for Sweden on a two-day visit to represent Nigeria in bilateral engagements with the Scandinavian nation.

Following criticisms in some quarters about the absence of the first two citizens, the Presidency on Wednesday said Tinubu and Shettima’s absence did not create any leadership vacuum

Advertisement

Politics

Soludo Visits Tinubu, Goes Into Closed Door Session With President

Published

on

Anambra State Governor, Prof Chukwuma Charles Soludo, on Thursday, paid a courtesy visit to the President, Bola Tinubu, GCFR at the State House.

Report by the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Soludo, Mr Chris Aburime stated that President Tinubu received the Anambra State Governor with excitement, describing him as his long standing friend of over 22 years.

Aburime said, “The President used the occasion to further congratulate Governor Soludo on his landslide victory in the just concluded Anambra gubernatorial election.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:UPDATED: INEC Declares Soludo Winner Of Anambra Guber Poll

Recall that President Tinubu had earlier issued a congratulatory message to Governor Soludo immediately the governorship election was concluded.”

Governor Soludo was declared winner with 73% of the votes cast by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.
Other details of the meeting were, however, not disclosed as the press Secretary told DAILY POST that both men went into a closed door meeting after the reception.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Politics

2027: I Will Resign If Tinubu Loses In Edo – Governor Okpebholo

Published

on

Edo State Governor Monday Okpebholor has vowed that President Bola Tinubu will win the 2027 presidential election in Edo State.

Okpebholor in an interview captured in a viral video vowed to resign if the outcome of the 2027 election does not favour the president in Edo State.

According to him, the entire people in Edo State are ready to vote for the president, citing projects that his (Okpebholor) administration executed since the All Progressives Congress, APC took over the state.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Okpebholo Fires EDOGIS Managing Director

He claimed that there is no opposition in the state, stressing that everyone is supporting the ruling party ahead of the 2027 elections.

He said, “There is no opposition here in Edo everybody is for Asiwaju in this state.

Advertisement

“Tinubu is more popular than me in Edo state. If he doesn’t win the presidential election in Edo in 2027, I will resign.”

Continue Reading

Politics

JUST IN: El-Rufai Formally Joins ADC

Published

on

Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has formally joined the African Democratic Congress, ADC.

El-Rufai, a founding member of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, left the party earlier this year for the Social Democratic Party, SDP.

READ ALSO:JUST IN: Atiku Officially Joins ADC, Registers With Party In Adamawa

Advertisement

In his resignation letter from the SDP, dated November 26, 2025, the former governor stated that his focus is on contributing to the strengthening of a unified democratic platform that can offer a credible political alternative to the people of Nigeria.

“I wish to notify that I have resigned my membership of the Social Democratic Party, SDP, effective 26 November, 2025,” he said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending