Connect with us

News

FG Summons TCN, IBDC, AEDC, Exempts BEDC Despite Abysmal Power Supply To Edo, Ondo, Delta

Published

on

Minister of Power, Mr Adebayo Adelabu has summoned chief executive officers of two Electricity Distribution Companies (DisCos) to a meeting to hold in the coming week over worsening supply situations in their regions.

Those invited to the meeting are chief executive officers of Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC) and Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company (IBDC).

Advertisement

Also summoned to the meeting is Mr Sule Abdulazeez, Managing Director of the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN).

The summon is contained in a letter signed by Mr B.U Mustapha, Director, Distribution Services, Ministry of Power.

READ ALSO: Current Constitution Can’t Address Nigeria’s Challenges – Anyaoku

Advertisement

The management of other non-performing distribution companies would also be queried over non-performance as reports continue to filter in on the situation in their regions.

The two DisCos have been summoned due to the worsening power supply situation in their regions in spite of improved supply from TCN.

Unfortunately, despite summoning these DisCos for power supply, Benin Electricity Distribution Company (BEDC), whose power supply is one of the poorest in the country was exempted from answering questions in the proposed meeting.

Advertisement

INFO DAILY recalls that the TCN, Benin Region, had during a media chat with newsmen in December 2023, said it generates over 400mw in the region but unfortunately BEDC purchases less than 100mw hence the poor supply to the states the DisCo covers

Mr Bolaji Tunji, Special Adviser, Strategic Communication and Media Relations at the ministry stated on Saturday in Abuja said that gas shortage notwithstanding, electricity generation had been ramped up to more than 4000mw in recent days.

READ ALSO: JUST IN: SSANU, NASU Threaten Strike Over Withheld Salaries

Advertisement

“The ministry expects power supply to have improved across the country, as opposed to current experience in some regions.

“Findings revealed that some distribution companies were deliberately not taking up power supply from TCN, while some power lines were also damaged by vandals in Abuja, Benin, Port Harcourt and Ibadan regions,’’ he stated.

He quoted the minister as saying that wilful non- performance by any DisCo could suffice as reason for severe punishment or outright license revocation.

Advertisement

“The minister also directed TCN to immediately begin repair works on damaged transmission towers and power lines to improve power supply in affected regions,’’ Tunii stated.

He recalled that the minister embarked on supervisory visits to some of the power generating plants in the last few months.

READ ALSO: Ex-Army Officer Jailed By Abacha Recounts Experience 25 Years After

Advertisement

He was in Kainji Hydropower Plant which will soon embark on an expansion plan to boost its existing 560mw operational capacity.

“He also visited Benue and Taraba to assess infrastructure being constructed to evacuate an additional 30mw from the Kashimbilla Hydropower Station to the national grid,’’ he stated.

Only 10mw is currently being evacuated from the Kashimbilla Hydropower Station to the national grid.

Advertisement

The minister was also at Olorunshogo and Omotosho thermal plants in Ogun and Ondo states, respectively and was at Ihvobor and Azura power plants in Edo.

During the visits, he assured that the Federal Government planned to pay part of the outstanding debts owed electricity Generation Companies (GenCos) and gas supply companies.

Tunji stated also that with efforts being made there should soon be succour for electricity consumers nationwide.

Advertisement

 

Advertisement

News

INEC CVR: CSO Expresses Worry Over Poor Deployment Of Machines, Manpower To LGs In Edo

Published

on

By Joseph Ebi Kanjo

Edo Civil Society Organisations (EDOCSO) has expressed worry over the poor deployment of capturing machines and manpower to Igueben Local Government Area of the state by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in the ongoing Ongoing Continuous Voters Registration (CVR).

Advertisement

The Coordinator, EDOCSO, Igueben Study Centre, Leftist Enabulele Larry, and Secretary, Leftist Mark Akande expressed the CSO sentiment when the duo visited the INEC headquarters in Igueben where the CBR in the local government is taking place.

In a statement made available to INFO DAILY on Friday, the leadership of EDOCSO, Igueben Study Centre condemned the “use of only two capturing devices in a local government with over 69, 396 in population.”

READ ALSO:Things To Know As INEC Begins Physical Voter Registration Monday

Advertisement

The duo noted in the statement that their findings at the INEC headquarters revealed two capturing machines were deployed to each local government across the 18 local government areas of the state.

The civil society members said INEC excuse of deploying two capturing machines to each local government was not germane enough because many do not have a computer or android phone to do the online registration INEC gave as an excuse.

The question here is, what is the percentage of our people mostly the aged individuals, that have access to Android mobile and other internet gadgets in Edo state?

Advertisement

READ ALSO: ADC: Why INEC Has Not Recognised David Mark, Others

“How many people can afford internet data to enable them have access internet services in Edo state under the current excruciating economic pains by the people?

“How many of the Edo people can even manipulate the Android mobile phone to the extent of navigating the internet hurdles to undertake the job is INEC? If INEC is not ready for the job, they should tell Nigerians.

Advertisement

“If citizens are now advised to individually undertake the statutory job of INEC, of what purpose does the commission serve to the people? etc,” they said.

As at when filing this report, INFO DAILY was yet to get a reply from the message sent to the INEC in Edo for reaction.

 

Advertisement

Continue Reading

News

Edo Sports Commission Boss Celebrates Okpehbolo On Birthday

Published

on

The Executive Chairman of the Edo State Sports Commission, Hon. Amadin Desmond Enabulele, has felicated with Governor Monday Okpebholo, on the occasion of his birthday.

In a statement issued on Friday by his Media Officer, Edoko Wilson Edoko, Enabulele Okpebholo as a visionary leader whose dedication to the growth and development of the state has continued to inspire confidence and admiration across all sectors, especially sports.

Advertisement

Enabulele, who highlighted the governor’s unwavering commitment to youth empowerment through sports development, noted that under his leadership, Edo State has witnessed significant strides in grassroots sporting initiatives and infrastructure.

READ ALSO: Enabulele Confident Of Team Edo’s Success At 2025 NYG

His Excellency, Senator Monday Okpebholo, is not just a political leader but a beacon of hope for the younger generation.

Advertisement

“His passion for excellence and inclusive governance is evident in the way he has continued to support policies that uplift our youths and promote sporting excellence,” the statement read.

The Executive Chairman prayed for long life, good health, and continued wisdom for the governor as he steers the affairs of the state towards greater prosperity.

“On behalf of the entire Edo State Sports Commission, I extend our warmest birthday wishes to His Excellency at 55. May this new chapter of his life be filled with more accomplishments and divine grace,” he added.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

News

Oba Of Benin Suspends Palace Chiefs

Published

on

The Oba of Benin, Ewuare II, has suspended two of his chiefs for falling for dereliction of duties.

This was contained in a statement signed by the Secretary to the Benin Traditional Council (BTC), Frank Irabor and made available to journalists in Benin City.

Advertisement

He said their suspension was as a result of their long absence from the palace, resulting in their failure to carry out their palace responsibilities.

The suspended persons are: Chief John Igiehon, the Izuwako of Benin and chief Aimiukpomonyako Oghogho (Ebengho), the Oyenmwensoba of Benin.

READ ALSO: Oba Of Benin Suspends 67 Dukes

Advertisement

“The under-mentioned two (2) chiefs have been suspended from the Palace of the Oba of Benin.

“This is as a result of their long absence from the Palace, resulting in their failure to carry out their Palace responsibilities.

“The public is advised to be wary of unscrupulous chiefs that are no longer functioning in the Palace. His Royal Majesty has approved their _ Suspension and directed the public be duly informed. 

Advertisement

“The names of the chiefs are: – ; 1. CHIEF JOHN IGIEHON, THE IZUWAKO OF BENIN and, _ 2 CHIEF AIMIUKPOMONYAKO OGHOGHO (EBENGHO), THE OYENMWENSOBA OF BENIN”, the statement said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending