Over 400 shops were burnt down in a fire incident that occurred at the early hours of Sunday, January 10, at Awada Obosi in Anambra State.
The fire, which started early hours of yesterday and destroyed many shops worth millions of naira cause was yet to be ascertained at the time of this report.
Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Mr. Haruna Mohammed who confirmed the incident said that the fire was put out by fire fighting officials who responded promptly.
“Following the distress call, Police patrol team led by DPO Awada Division CSP Tony Adeyi rushed to the scene and alerted the fire service department and other emergency units which also responded promptly and put out the fire.”
“The area was cordoned off by the Police to prevent hoodlums from taking advantage of the situation to loot. One person whose identity is yet unknown collapsed and was taken to the hospital for medical attention. The cause of the fire and value of property destroyed are yet to be ascertained”, he added.
It was gathered that a trader, after seeing his shop on fire, reportedly slumped and was rushed to the hospital but eventually died out of shock.
A trader Mr. Chukwudi Aneke said that he lost all his wares to the fire, saying that the fire started from their section of the market.