Connect with us

News

How Police Retired Officer Accused Of Raping Teenager Inside Lagos Station

Published

on

The Deputy Superintendent of Police at the Ogudu Police Station in Lagos State, Owolabi Akinlolu, who was accused of raping a 17-year-old girl in his office at the Ogudu Police Division, was allegedly retired from service in secrecy before his case was brought to court on Tuesday.

This falls short of the expectations of rights activists, the traumatised survivor, and her family, who had anticipated that the suspect would be dismissed from service and prosecuted upon the completion of the investigation.

Advertisement

The PUNCH reported in July 2024 that the survivor’s mother, Mrs Aramide Olupona, accused the police of attempting to cover up the case, claiming that the suspect’s wife and family had pleaded with her to drop the charges, claiming Akinlolu was due to retire in December.

Sources familiar with the investigation accused the Nigeria Police Force of deliberately prolonging both the probe and the suspect’s arraignment until after his scheduled retirement in December 2024, allegedly to grant him a soft landing.

Akinlolu had allegedly summoned the teenager to his office on June 29, 2024, claiming that the suspect who had stolen her phone two weeks earlier had been apprehended.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Police Arrest 18 In Benue Over Cultism, Child Trafficking, Others

However, upon her arrival at the police station, the senior officer allegedly locked his office door and raped her.

In an interview with on Wednesday, an insider familiar with the investigation claimed that the police “deliberately allowed him to retire from service before initiating his prosecution.”

Advertisement

The source further revealed that the suspect was not dismissed from the force, stating that the officers handling the case in Lagos argued that “it was beyond the state command’s jurisdiction since the suspect was a senior police officer.”

He said, “They transferred the case to the Force headquarters in Abuja. It was Abuja that gave them directives on the investigation. Now, they are saying the completion of the investigation did not come before December. They are claiming it came after December,” the insider added.

A survivor’s family member (name withheld) made a similar accusation before Magistrate O.O. Fagboun ordered the suspect’s remand at the Kirikiri Maximum Correctional Centre on Tuesday.

Advertisement

Meanwhile, it was observed that, unlike Police Inspector Dikko Usman, a suspect in the murder of Lagos Chief Jubril Fatai, who was referred to as an “ex-inspector” in the case, Akinlolu was neither identified by his DSP rank nor described as a former police officer.

READ ALSO: Man Dies At Enugu Police Station While Seeking Wife’s Release

Another credible source privy to the matter but who did not want to be mentioned for fear of retribution stated that the suspect allegedly pointed a gun at the survivor’s head before committing the crime, accusing the police of not mentioning it in the charges.

Advertisement

A document obtained by The PUNCH on Wednesday, containing the survivor’s account, corroborated the earlier claim.

“We are supposed to be seeing attempted murder or a threat to life because the man allegedly defiled the girl at gunpoint. It appears the police deliberately chose to be lenient on one of theirs,” the source lamented. Our correspondent also noted that it was not included in the charges against the suspect.

As of the time this report was filed, no response had been received regarding Akinlolu’s alleged retirement after our correspondent contacted the Force spokesperson, Olumuyiwa Adejobi, and the Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, Benjamin Hundeyin, on Wednesday but had yet to receive a reply.

Advertisement

Meanwhile, sharing her experience in an exclusive interview with one of our correspondents on Tuesday, the survivor said her “state of mind has not been the best.

“I am constantly scared, especially when I see police officers. Even when I’m just walking on the road and spot them, I feel terrified,” she told our correspondent.

READ ALSO: Man Dies At Enugu Police Station While Seeking Wife’s Release

Advertisement

The survivor lamented that the traumatic experience had strained her relationships with friends, admitting, “We’ve lost trust in the police. There’s nothing that would make us go to them for help now.”

She added that her family, especially her mother, is still struggling with the trauma.

“I’m not the first person he’s done this to, but I am determined to be the last. I hope we get the justice we deserve and that I can find peace within myself,” the survivor told our correspondent in an interview on Tuesday.

Advertisement

Mrs Olupona, the survivor’s mother, expressed gratitude that the suspect had been remanded but remained hopeful that her family would receive justice at the end of the trial.

“I’m happy that the defendant has finally been remanded. However, the incident that led us to this point fills me with sadness and anger. As a mother, I’m extremely protective of my child, and what happened to her is unacceptable.

When it comes to my children’s safety and well-being, I don’t take things lightly. I’m not happy about what happened, and I want to see that justice is served,” Olupona said.
(PUNCH)

Advertisement

News

INEC CVR: CSO Expresses Worry Over Poor Deployment Of Machines, Manpower To LGs In Edo

Published

on

By

By Joseph Ebi Kanjo

Edo Civil Society Organisations (EDOCSO) has expressed worry over the poor deployment of capturing machines and manpower to Igueben Local Government Area of the state by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in the ongoing Ongoing Continuous Voters Registration (CVR).

Advertisement

The Coordinator, EDOCSO, Igueben Study Centre, Leftist Enabulele Larry, and Secretary, Leftist Mark Akande expressed the CSO sentiment when the duo visited the INEC headquarters in Igueben where the CBR in the local government is taking place.

In a statement made available to INFO DAILY on Friday, the leadership of EDOCSO, Igueben Study Centre condemned the “use of only two capturing devices in a local government with over 69, 396 in population.”

READ ALSO:Things To Know As INEC Begins Physical Voter Registration Monday

Advertisement

The duo noted in the statement that their findings at the INEC headquarters revealed two capturing machines were deployed to each local government across the 18 local government areas of the state.

The civil society members said INEC excuse of deploying two capturing machines to each local government was not germane enough because many do not have a computer or android phone to do the online registration INEC gave as an excuse.

The question here is, what is the percentage of our people mostly the aged individuals, that have access to Android mobile and other internet gadgets in Edo state?

Advertisement

READ ALSO: ADC: Why INEC Has Not Recognised David Mark, Others

“How many people can afford internet data to enable them have access internet services in Edo state under the current excruciating economic pains by the people?

“How many of the Edo people can even manipulate the Android mobile phone to the extent of navigating the internet hurdles to undertake the job is INEC? If INEC is not ready for the job, they should tell Nigerians.

Advertisement

“If citizens are now advised to individually undertake the statutory job of INEC, of what purpose does the commission serve to the people? etc,” they said.

As at when filing this report, INFO DAILY was yet to get a reply from the message sent to the INEC in Edo for reaction.

 

Advertisement

Continue Reading

News

Edo Sports Commission Boss Celebrates Okpehbolo On Birthday

Published

on

By

The Executive Chairman of the Edo State Sports Commission, Hon. Amadin Desmond Enabulele, has felicated with Governor Monday Okpebholo, on the occasion of his birthday.

In a statement issued on Friday by his Media Officer, Edoko Wilson Edoko, Enabulele Okpebholo as a visionary leader whose dedication to the growth and development of the state has continued to inspire confidence and admiration across all sectors, especially sports.

Advertisement

Enabulele, who highlighted the governor’s unwavering commitment to youth empowerment through sports development, noted that under his leadership, Edo State has witnessed significant strides in grassroots sporting initiatives and infrastructure.

READ ALSO: Enabulele Confident Of Team Edo’s Success At 2025 NYG

His Excellency, Senator Monday Okpebholo, is not just a political leader but a beacon of hope for the younger generation.

Advertisement

“His passion for excellence and inclusive governance is evident in the way he has continued to support policies that uplift our youths and promote sporting excellence,” the statement read.

The Executive Chairman prayed for long life, good health, and continued wisdom for the governor as he steers the affairs of the state towards greater prosperity.

“On behalf of the entire Edo State Sports Commission, I extend our warmest birthday wishes to His Excellency at 55. May this new chapter of his life be filled with more accomplishments and divine grace,” he added.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

News

Oba Of Benin Suspends Palace Chiefs

Published

on

By

The Oba of Benin, Ewuare II, has suspended two of his chiefs for falling for dereliction of duties.

This was contained in a statement signed by the Secretary to the Benin Traditional Council (BTC), Frank Irabor and made available to journalists in Benin City.

Advertisement

He said their suspension was as a result of their long absence from the palace, resulting in their failure to carry out their palace responsibilities.

The suspended persons are: Chief John Igiehon, the Izuwako of Benin and chief Aimiukpomonyako Oghogho (Ebengho), the Oyenmwensoba of Benin.

READ ALSO: Oba Of Benin Suspends 67 Dukes

Advertisement

“The under-mentioned two (2) chiefs have been suspended from the Palace of the Oba of Benin.

“This is as a result of their long absence from the Palace, resulting in their failure to carry out their Palace responsibilities.

“The public is advised to be wary of unscrupulous chiefs that are no longer functioning in the Palace. His Royal Majesty has approved their _ Suspension and directed the public be duly informed. 

Advertisement

“The names of the chiefs are: – ; 1. CHIEF JOHN IGIEHON, THE IZUWAKO OF BENIN and, _ 2 CHIEF AIMIUKPOMONYAKO OGHOGHO (EBENGHO), THE OYENMWENSOBA OF BENIN”, the statement said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Exit mobile version