JUST IN: Bus Conveying Stranded Nigerians From Sudan Catches Fire
One of the buses conveying stranded Nigerians from Khartoum, the Sudanese capital, to Port Sudan where they will move into Saudi Arabia caught fire in the early hours of Monday.
Twenty-six buses conveying the stranded Nigerians left Al Razi around 12:am on Monday for Port Sudan.
“One of the buses conveying some 50 Nigerian students from Sudan with a tag number (Katsina 1) heading to Port Sudan as part of the second batch of FGN evacuation got damaged due to excessive heat from one of the vehicle’s tyres.
“Dr Hashim Idris Na’Allah, the chairman of the Nigerian Elders’ Forum in Sudan, was one of the passengers in the said bus, which contained a total of 50 students (49 males, 1 female).
READ ALSO: At Last, Egypt Opens Border For Nigerians Fleeing Sudan After Buhari Calls Egyptian President
“The incident happened around 2:30am Sudan time.
“The driver stopped the bus near an RSF checkpoint, just before the tire exploded causing a fire to start.
“All the passengers escaped unhurt.
“Forty out of the 50 passengers were later distributed to the other buses evacuating the students, while the remaining passengers spent the night where the incident happened alongside the driver at the RSF checkpoint.
“The students said the RSF really did their possible best to help the passengers and offered them with cups of tea in the morning before they left,” Sani Aliyu who is in Sudan disclosed.
READ ALSO: Sudan Crisis: 1,519 Nigerian Students Leave Khartoum For Port Sudan – FG
Daily Trust gathered that they have since continued their journey to Port Sudan.
Over 1000 Nigerians are being evacuated through the Port Sudan route following the difficulties faced in getting the first batch of evacuees across the Egypt borders.
The stranded Nigerians have spent five days at the borders as the Egyptian officials denied them access into the country where flights are already waiting to airlift them to Nigeria.
Police Dismiss Sergeant Over N98,000 Extortion
The Police Command in Lagos State has announced the dismissal of Sgt. Ekpo Shimuyere was attached to Sogunle Division for extorting a young man of N98,000.
The command’s spokesperson, SP Benjamin Hundeyin told newsmen on Wednesday that the Provost Department of the command had already disrobed the dismissed sergeant.
According to him, the dismissed sergeant collected the phone of his victim and used a POS operator to transfer N98,000 out of the N100,000 in the young man’s bank account.
READ ALSO: Obaseki Celebrates Osimhen, Alegeh, Omogiafo, Others For Bagging National Awards
Hundeyin said that the action of the policeman was contrary to the ethics of the profession.
“Police got the complaint from the victim and the officer denied the crime when he was contacted. The command placed him under detention so that he will not tamper with the evidence.
“We wrote to his bank and obtained his statement of account. We were able to trace the money to where the POS operator transferred it to before transferring the money to the officer’s account.
“We followed due process to get his account. The victim was invited in the course of the investigation, and he testified.
“The POS operator was also invited, and he said the officer requested him to transfer the money from the victim’s account to another one,” Hudenyi added.
He said that the Sergeant was consequently subjected to an Orderly Room trial in line with extant laws.
READ ALSO: Ondo Farmer Bags 21 Years Jail Term For robbery
“The Commissioner of Police, Lagos Command, Mr Idowu Owohunwa, have reviewed the orderly room procedure of the officer with Force No. 461654, attached to Sogunle Police Division and has approved the punishment of dismissal from the Force,” he said.
Hundeyin said that the commissioner warned officers and men against any form of corruption, stressing that the dismissal was to serve as a deterrent to others.
He further warned that the command would continue to punish any police officer found to have engaged in unprofessional conduct.
VIDEO: Dismantle EFCC, Sack Bawa For Successful Anti-corruption War – Agbakoba
Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Olisa Agbakoba, has asked President Bola Tinubu to dismantle the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, in his bid to have a successful anti-corruption war.
Agbakoba stated this while speaking in an interview on The Morning Show of Arise Television on Wednesday.
The legal luminary also urged the President to relieve the EFCC chairman, Abdulrasheed Bawa of his job, in order to have a fresh leadership for the agency in the new administration.
He said, “We need to talk about anti-corruption. The anti-corruption process is not working. I have challenged the constitutionality of the EFCC. The EFCC is a behemoth and it needs to be dismantled.
READ ALSO: EFCC Reacts To DSS’ Siegure On Lagos Office
“Mr. Bawa needs to go because what he’s doing is not attracting people’s confidence. He needs to go. He’s always in battles with everybody. Now, he’s battling Metawalle. That’s not the way to fight corruption.
“We need to see Mr. Bawa step aside honourably so that the anti-corruption process can be seen to be genuinely fought by the President without any equivocation,” he said.
Tinubu needs to dismantle EFCC, sack Bawa for successful anti-corruption war – Agbakoba
Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Olisa Agbakoba said President Bola Tinubu needs to dismantle the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, in his bid to have a successful… pic.twitter.com/CJXdhlw2SI
— Vanguard Newspapers (@vanguardngrnews) May 31, 2023
NAPTIP Sacks Director, Four Officers For Misconduct
The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons has dismissed a deputy director and four other officers for various offences including bribery, corruption and leaking confidential information to suspects.
The Press Officer of the NAPTIP, Vincent Adekoye, disclosed this in a statement on Wednesday.
Adekoye explained that the offences range from corruption to demanding and receiving bribes from suspects and relatives.
READ ALSO: How Nigerian Women Working In Iraq Are Being Exploited – NAPTIP DG
According to him, other offences committed by the officers were leaking confidential information to suspects that endangered the lives of colleagues, violating the oath of secrecy, stealing and alteration of official records and being absent without official leave.
He said, “These offences are all contrary to provisions of the Public Service Rules and other extant laws and regulations. Two other officers were demoted by two ranks for soliciting bribes from a suspect of human trafficking, while one officer was demoted by one rank for negligence of duty.
“The disciplinary actions followed the approval of the Governing Board of the Agency at its meeting of May 25, 2023. At that meeting, the board considered and ratified the decision of the agency’s Senior Staff Committee which earlier sat on the disciplinary matters in accordance with the Public Service Rules and other extant laws and regulations.”
READ ALSO: NAPTIP Rescues Three Babies Rented For Begging In Abuja
Adekoye also announced that a Federal High Court sitting in Sokoto State convicted a law enforcement officer and sentenced him to prison.
He said the officer was convicted on two counts of trafficking, contrary to section 26 (2) of the Trafficking in Persons (Prohibition) Enforcement and Administration Act (2015) and was sentenced to five years on each count.
He added, “This is NAPTIP’s 37th conviction and counting for the year 2023.”
Police Dismiss Sergeant Over N98,000 Extortion
Activists, Politicians Protest As Boyfriend Stabs, Beats 16-yr-old Girlfriend To Death
Ondo Farmer Bags 21 Years Jail Term For robbery
Communal Clash Claims Seven, Injures Scores In Delta
BREAKING: COVID-19 Heath Workers Block Hospital Management Board’s Entrance, Demand Payment Of Allowances In Edo
Edo Guber: ‘Oshiomhole’s Triumphant Entry Has Left You In Trauma, Demoralised,’ APC Mocks PDP
Metro4 days ago
Gunmen Abduct Imo Catholic Priest Returning From Funeral
Politics1 week ago
Tinubu, Shetima, APC kick As Tribunal Moves To Consolidate Petitions Against Presidential Election
News4 days ago
Buhari To Address Nigerians 7am Sunday
News5 days ago
May 29 Inauguration: FG Declares Monday Public Holiday
Entertainment5 days ago
Why I Refused To Perform At Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Concert – Portable
Politics6 days ago
Ex-presidential Candidate Fined N40m For Trying To Stop Tinubu’s Inauguration
Opinion1 week ago
OPINION: Buhari’s Dance To The Grove
News6 days ago
JUST IN: Reps Grill Malami Over $2.4bn Illegal Oil Sale