Connect with us

Metro

Men Recommend Severe Punishment For Rapists

Published

on

Men under the aegis of Edo Men Stand Against Rape has recommended Incarceration and other severe punishment for people who indulge in rape.

The men who took the awareness campaign and rally through the popular King’s Square, Benin City, noted that the recent rise in the cases of rape in the country, and subsequent killing of victims prompted the awareness campaign.

READ ALSO: COVID: Osinbajo Wants NYSC Camps Closed For Two Years

Advertisement

Speaking, one of the men who was part of the rally, Destiny Enabulele, said rape is alien to our culture, and so should not be condoled or handled with levity.

A cross section of Edo Men Stand Against Rape

Enabulele who is the Chairman of Ovia South West LGAs of Edo State said, “Rape or any form of domestic violence is alien to our culture, and so we shouldn’t allow it. For me, the punishment for rapist should be incarceration. Their male genitals should be revomeved, so that they will feel the pain for life. What they inflict on the female folk is a lifetime pain, so they should feel it too for a lifetime”, he added.

On his part, Barrister Sanni Momodu, Edo State coordinator, National Human Rights Commission, said uprise in the cases of rape in the nation made them to create the awareness that it should be stopped.

READ ALSO: Security Guard Kills Employer’s Wife, Leaves Husband In Coma

Advertisement

Momodu noted that a girl saying no to a man’s sexual advancement is not enough reason for man to forcefully sex (rape) her, just as he lamented that the Commission has been inundated with several cases of sexual and other domestic violence.

He said, “There is uprise in the cases of rape. The National Hunan Rights Commission has been inundated with series of cases and sexual and Gender-Based violence of recent. We have been having such cases, but of recent it has increased. There is no need for you to rape . If you approach a girl for sex, and she refuses, let her go, it doesn’t mean that you have to look for other means to force her.

“We are here to say men should stop forcing ladies for sex. We are calling on all men to stop it.”

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Tragedy As Baby Falls from Hospital’s Top Floor, Dies

Also speaking, Dr. Jude Obasanmi noted that they decided to lend their voices to the current challenges and accusation that men rape.

He stressed that they are not rapists, adding that no real man with his sense intact involves in rape, but rather seek a lady’s consent if he wishes to have sexual intercourse with her.

Advertisement

He noted, ” Real men don’t rape. So, we are out to create awareness that real men don’t rape. It is those who do not have the courage to approach a woman that goes into rape. A woman has right to say no, and that must be respected. A man has no reason whatsoever to rape a woman. You are expected to approach her, and if she turns down your proposal, you leave it like that.

“With due respect to men, I want to say men who indulge in such act have a problem of phobia and mental problem, and they should approach a psychologist for assistance because I believe it is not ordinary.”

READ ALSO: Man Bags 10years Jail Term For Defiling Minor

Advertisement

The men had earlier taken an oath against rape before embarking on the peaceful campaign.

Metro

Kwara Traditional Ruler Kidnapped On His Farm

Published

on

Gunmen have reportedly abducted a traditional ruler in Bayagan community in the Ifelodun Local Government Area of Kwara State, Ojibara of Bayagan Oba Kamilu Salami, on Saturday.

It was gathered that the traditional ruler was kidnapped Saturday morning on his farm, while details of the incident were still sketchy.

READ ALSO:JUST IN: Again, Terrorists Storm Kwara Community, Kidnap Pregnant Woman, 10 Children, Others

Advertisement

Eyewitness disclosed that the attack happened suddenly and left the community in apprehension and confusion. Meanwhile, the incident had triggered fresh concerns over cases of insecurity across the country.

The Kwara State Police command was yet to confirm the incident as at when filing this report.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

Sokoto Police Arrest Suspected Cultists, Uncover WhatsApp Recruitment Channel

Published

on

The Sokoto State Police Command has arrested three suspected members of the notorious “Sai Malam” cult group, believed to be behind rising criminal activities in parts of the state.

The suspects, including the alleged gang leader Usman Shu’aibu, were apprehended on Friday during an intelligence-led operation executed by the command’s Anti-Kidnapping Unit.

According to the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Ahmad Rufa’i, the suspects confessed to being initiated into the group through a private WhatsApp platform called Red Chamber.

Advertisement

The police noted that further investigation discovered the social media channel was created to recruit unsuspecting youths into criminal activities.

READ ALSO:Police Crack Down On Criminal Network In Delta Community, Recover AK-47

These, according to the statement, include ritual practices, the pursuit of supposed demonic powers, acts of homosexuality, and violent thuggery.

Advertisement

The police warned parents to closely monitor their children’s online activities closely, noting that criminal groups are increasingly exploiting digital platforms to lure vulnerable youths.

Commissioner of Police, Ahmed Musa, said the arrests respond directly to public concerns about the group’s operations, adding that efforts are ongoing to track other fleeing members.

He assured residents of the command’s commitment to sustaining intelligence-driven policing and safeguarding lives and property across the state.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Hoodlums Stab Police Officer To Death In Ondo

In other news, two persons suspected to be hoodlums have been arrested by the operatives of the Ondo State Police Command for allegedly stabbing a police officer to death in Akure, the state capital.

The suspects, identified as Shina Jacob, 25, and Felix Olalekan, 32, allegedly attacked the police inspector during an altercation at Oke-Arata within Arakale axis.

Advertisement

The killing of the police officer came a few days after a personnel of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) was stabbed to death by a mentally unstable man in Oba-Ile area of Akure.

According to sources, after the inspector, who was recently transferred from the Anti-Cultism Unit to B-Division, was stabbed, the area was thrown into a state of panic as residents and traders hurriedly fled.

READ ALSO:Police Arrest 26 Over Fake Currency, Adulterated Diesel In Lagos

Advertisement

While confirming the incident, the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Olayinka Ayanlade, disclosed that the officer was rushed to the hospital after he was stabbed but gave up the ghost while receiving treatment.

An altercation ensued between the officer and some recalcitrant individuals, during which the officer was tragically stabbed. This unfortunate event triggered an immediate and coordinated police response.

“Acting swiftly, the Commissioner of Police deployed a team of operatives to the scene, resulting in the arrest of two suspects directly connected to the incident. They include Shina Jacob ‘m’ aged 25 years and Felix Olalekan ‘m’ aged 32 years.

Advertisement

“The injured officer was also rescued and rushed to the hospital; however, despite all efforts, the police inspector sadly passed away while receiving treatment. The follow-up operation conducted last night formed part of the Command’s sustained and strategic efforts to rid the state of violent criminal elements and prevent further breaches of public safety,” Ayanlade stated.”

Continue Reading

Metro

Army, Air Force Crush ISWAP Fighters After Failed Chibok Attack

Published

on

Troops of the 28 Task Force Brigade, Sector 4 Operation Hadin Kai, on Saturday stopped a major attack by ISWAP/Boko Haram fighters in Chibok, Borno State, before the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) moved in with airstrikes that killed many of the fleeing terrorists.

The report was contained in a post shared on X by security analyst Zagazola Makama.

According to the update, more than 300 terrorists launched a coordinated assault on Chibok around 3:00 a.m., attempting to break through military defensive positions.

Advertisement

Soldiers responded immediately, engaging the attackers in a fierce gunfight that lasted about two hours.

READ ALSO:Army Releases List Of Shortlisted Candidates For SSC Course

A security source quoted in the post said the troops acted swiftly and professionally.

Advertisement

There was no casualty on our side, and no equipment was affected,” the source said.

As the terrorists began to retreat toward the Timbuktu Triangle, ground troops called for air support.

NAF combat aircraft were deployed to the route used by the fleeing fighters.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:NAF Redeploys 25 Senior Officers

The airstrikes, guided by intelligence from the troops on the ground, hit several clusters of terrorists trying to escape.

Multiple waves of strikes were carried out, with both manned aircraft and an unmanned aerial platform targeting groups of fighters dispersing into the forest.

Advertisement

According to Makama, the combined efforts of the Army and the Air Force dealt heavy blows to the attackers, preventing them from regrouping after the failed offensive.

Continue Reading

Trending