Connect with us

Metro

Security Guard Kills Employer’s Wife, Leaves Husband In Coma

Published

on

A security guard at the Lugbe Area of the Federal Capital Territory on Saturday, June 13, killed his boss’s wife with an axe and a knife and left his boss in coma at the National hospital, Abuja.

Mr. Joseph Nicholas, Treasurer, Landlords/Tenants Association, Phase 2, AMAC Housing Estate, disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), in Abuja on Tuesday.

Nicholas said that the unfortunate incident happened on Saturday night.

He described the victim, Mr Ralph Wilcox, a retired Director at the Federal Ministry of Information, and his wife as extremely peaceful people who lived alone with their security guard.

He said that the assailant (security guard) inflicted serious bodily and life threatening injuries on his victims, thereby causing the death of Mrs Wilcox.

READ ALSO: Obaseki’s Certificate: AAU VC Refutes Social Media Report, Says ‘I Never Called It Fake’

He said that her remains had been deposited at the Gwagwalada specialist hospital morgue.

The security guard, who confessed to the crime, said that he killed Mrs. Wilcox while the husband was away.

He, thereafter, awaited the return of the husband from his outing to “complete his job” by trying to kill him.

“Upon arrival of Wilcox’s from his outing around 8.00 pm, the gateman attacked him with sharp axe which he previously used to hack Mrs. Wilcox to death.

“Wilcox fell down and pretended as if he was dead, the gateman went to their apartment and ransacked whatever he could lay his hands on.

”While he was inside their apartment, Wilcox was able to escape from his compound to the main street, were he was calling for help, blood was gushing over his body and he was losing strength.

READ ALSO: Just In: Edo Guber: Obaseki, Deputy, Entire APC Structure To Join PDP-Chairman

”One incoming car saw Wilcox lain in his pool of his blood on Port Harcourt street and immediately zoomed back thinking it was an armed robbery attack.

”He went to the main gate to draw the attention of vigilantes, who followed him to where the man was lain in his pool of blood.

”In an attempt to find out what happened to him, the same assailant drove Wilcox’s SUV car out of their compound straight to where the man was and carried him to the National Hospital,” he said.

Nicholas further explained that it was a member of the association working at the National hospital that contacted the association that Wilcox’s security guard brought him to the hospital.

”When we (Association exco) got the information of his location, we immediately went to the hospital with a policeman.

”As we alighted from our cars the assiailant was almost making his way out of the hospital before we promptly stopped him.

READ ALSO: Tragedy As Baby Falls from Hospital’s Top Floor, Dies

”Questions upon questions were hurled at him and from there he became the primary suspect.

”We left national hospital with the number one suspect back to the crime scene around 4:36am on Sunday June 14.

”The standby policemen further threw questions at him and from there he confessed to the crime.

”Mr Wilcox is recuperating from his injuries at the hospital and we have been making several visits to him and his family members have been contacted.

“Higher authorities have taken over the case,” he said.

A Police Officer who also confirmed the incident but did not want his name mentioned said that the security guard must have been planning the crime for a long time because he felt no remorse about it.

He said that the security guard took the police to where he threw the weapons (axe and knife) he used to commit the crime.

He also added that the police did not apply force on the security guard for him to confess to the crime, as he did so willingly on his own.

READ ALSO: ‘I Was Misquoted, 51 Medical Personnel Not Medical Officers Test Positive For COVID-19 In Bauchi’, Says Mohammed

NAN called DSP Anjuguri Manzah, the FCT Police Command’s Public Relations Officer (PPRO), and he confirmed the incident saying that the police were carrying out further investigations.

(NAN/NATION)

(Photo:File)

Advertisement
Comments

Metro

Army Recovers One Million Litres Of Crude In Rivers

Published

on

By

The Nigerian Army, 6 Division Garrison in Port Harcourt has busted an illegal crude oil refining site in a forest in Odagwe community, Etche Local Government Area of Rivers State.

This is coming barely three days after the Nigerian Navy said its operatives busted an illegal oil refining site filled with 750,000 litres of illegally refined Automated Gas Oil also known as diesel in Abonema Wharf in the Port Harcourt area of the state.

The army during an operation against oil theft and illegal oil bunkering led by the Commander, 6 Division Garrison and Sector 3, Operation Delta Safe, Brigadier General Eddie Effiong recovered one million litres of crude oil.

Also uncovered in the community forest were eight crude oil reservoirs and five boilers both containing over one million litres of stolen crude.

READ ALSO: Economic Hardship: Delta Protest Canceled As Soldiers Arrest Journalist

Effiong, who spoke to newsmen shortly after the operation on Friday, said the discovery followed a tip-off, pointing out that each of the reservoirs contained about 100,000 litres of crude.

Brigadier General Effiong said the perpetrators were trying to refine the crude into Automated Gas Oil popularly known as diesel before operatives stormed the site.

He stated, “In continuation of the fight against crude oil theft and illegal oil bunkering, we got a tip-off from our contacts that illegal oil refinery has commenced on the opposite side of this road after we destroyed them on the other side.

“The oil thieves have relocated here and then reestablished their illegal refineries and continue their illegal activities.

READ ALSO: Army Destroys Illegal Refineries In Rivers, Abia

“Coming here today, we found out that they have truly relocated to the right side and reestablished their illegal refining sites and they are still trying to establish more sites.

“In this reestablished illegal refining site, we have discovered eight reservoirs and five cooking pots. And from our gathering, the minimum quantity of crude in each reservoir is nothing less than 100,000 litres of stolen crude that is about to be refined into AGO.”

The Garrison Commander assured that the division would not rest on its laurels until the fight against illegal oil bunkering and oil theft in the Niger Delta region is won.

He noted that the division would also deploy the non-kinetic approach such as dialogue in tackling illicit activities by appealing to the consciences of community heads and youth leaders through regular seminars, amongst others.

READ ALSO: Army Seizes 5m Litres Of Stolen Crude Oil In Rivers

Brigadier General Effiong added, “We are also trying our best to discourage them through their village heads and youth leaders, talking to them.

“We all know what crude oil is to the Nigerian economy. Everyone in the country is feeling the impact of the economy presently, and the more they do this, it is also going to negatively impact all of us.”

He advised all those involved in sabotaging the nation within the state and other parts of the Niger Delta region to turn a new leaf and look for decent means of earning a living.

“Yes, things are hard but that shouldn’t push us into criminality, because our country is bleeding and if we keep doing this, we will keep bleeding the more and everybody will feel it,” he added.

Continue Reading

Metro

Economic Hardship: Delta Protest Canceled As Soldiers Arrest Journalist

Published

on

By

Soldiers from the Nigerian Army 3 Battalion in Effurun, Uvwie Local Government Area of Delta State in the early hours of Friday arrested the South-South Bureau Chief of Galaxy Television, Mr. Dele Fasan, for recording video clips during a planned labour protest in the metropolis.

Also, the soldiers whisked a human rights activist, Comrade Israel Joe, to a nearby military barracks, following a mild, rift between him and other activists including Kelvin Ejumudo and others.

However, the planned protest could not hold in the Delta metropolis as it was cancelled after critical stakeholders met and discussed the issues on Thursday night.

The molestation of the television journalist took place at the popular DSC roundabout in Effurun where the soldiers allegedly brutalised and hit him with the butt of the guns.

READ ALSO: Nursing Student Killed Self Over Unwanted Pregnancy

Witnesses said that Fasan was picked up by the soldiers in the presence of the police team led by a Deputy Commissioner of Police, DC Operations, Aina Adesola.

But Fasan was released by the soldiers following the intervention of the police boss and his colleagues who appealed to the Army Commander, Major AE Ohegbe, on whose order he was released and the handcuff pulled off.

Confirming his arrest in a chat with newsmen shortly after, Fasan said he was “trying to get video clips of the protest scene which was already taken over by security operatives when the overzealous soldiers accosted him.”

Fasan, however, commended the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Operations, DCP Aina Adesola for promptly intervening in the matter.

READ ALSO: Blackout: Corpses In Army Mortuaries Decomposing, COAS Laments

He said, “The military were not civil at all during the protest. But the police led by DCP Aina Adesola, the Navy, the DSS, and NSCDC operatives were civil as they all intervened and I was released”.

Fasan spoke further saying that the Army Commander, Major Ahegbe, later apologised to him after the ugly act had already been done.

Also speaking with journalists, the National Secretary of Human Rights Protection Congress, Comrade Kelvin Ejumudo said the Civil Society Organisations came out to ensure that the protest did not hold following the threat across the nation.

“We don’t want any protest at all because when it happens, people will lose their properties. People will lose their money”, he said.

READ ALSO: Nigerians Knock Seyi Tinubu For Preaching Endurance Over Economic Hardship

“While we were at the protest venue, we had the proponent (Israel Joe) of the protest for selfish reasons come here, and we had a one-on-one rift and he had been taken away by security operatives.

“I will not condone any idea of protest in this state because, at the moment, Nigeria is volatile,” he added.

He, however, urged President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and all the 36 state governors with the local government chairmen to, as a matter of urgency, tackle the hunger in the land.

“Nigerians don’t want food. We want employment, we want our refineries to be functional, we want to produce what we can sell,” he stated.

The Deputy Commissioner of Police, Operations, DCP Aina Adesola while speaking with newsmen said he was sent to the scene by the Commissioner of Police to maintain peace.

Continue Reading

Metro

Police Arrest Cops For N30m Extortion In Abuja

Published

on

By

Some operatives attached to the Special Tactical Squad of the Nigeria Police Force in Abuja have been arrested for extorting N30 million from a citizen.

The Force Public Relations Officer, ACP Olumuyiwa Adejobi, disclosed this in a statement on Friday.

According to the FPRO, the extortion was brought to the notice of the force via the X platform, and the NPF has arrested the officers and their accomplices who initially escaped upon commencement of investigations.

READ ALSO: Blackout: Corpses In Army Mortuaries Decomposing, COAS Laments

The statement read, “Following the recent act of extortion by some officers of the Nigeria Police attached to the Special Tactical Squad in Abuja who extorted a member of the public of the sum of N30.3m, which was brought to the notice of the Force via the X platform, the Nigeria Police wishes to reveal and announce that significant progress has been made in apprehending the officers and their accomplices responsible for this unprofessional conduct as the squad who initially escaped upon commencement of investigations have been arrested and are currently in custody.

“The Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, as part of his commitment to upholding the highest standards of integrity and accountability within the Nigeria Police Force, has ordered the commencement of disciplinary proceedings to ensure that justice is served swiftly and decisively.

“These disciplinary measures underscore the zero-tolerance stance of the Nigeria Police Force towards any form of misconduct or corruption among its ranks.

READ ALSO: Rivers Police Arrest Cops For Alleged Extortion Of $3000

“The IGP also emphasized the imperativeness that those found to have violated the trust placed in them by the public face the full consequences of their actions, as such behavior not only tarnishes the reputation of the Force but also undermines the collective efforts to maintain law and order in our country.

“The NPF recognises that transparency and accountability are paramount in maintaining public trust and will continue to take decisive action against any misconduct within our ranks.”

PUNCH Online reported earlier in February that the NPF confirmed the arrest of officers who abducted a businessman in Abuja and extorted N29.9m from him in January.

The businessman was reportedly abducted at one of his sites in Abuja by armed police officers who detained him until he transferred all the money in his bank account to them.

Continue Reading

Trending