Connect with us

Metro

Midnigt Inferno Roasts 3 kids to death in Ibadan

Published

on

Midnigt inferno in the early hours of Friday, January 3, burnt three children of the same father and mother to death at their residence, behind Ibadan Grammar School, Molete, Ibadan.

It was gathered that the fire incident began few minutes to 1am on Friday, and also razed some of the other rooms in the eight-room tenement building.

Advertisement

One of the parents was reportedly to have locked the door to the room and parlour apartment they live in with padlock from outside, which prevented the children from opening the door and probably escape when the fire started.

The children, named as Glory, 14, Samuel, 8, and Darasimi,3, parents were reported not to be around when the disaster was said to have occurred.

A night guard in the area was said to have raised the alarm and alerted people in the community to the inferno.

Advertisement

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Suspect Behind Buhari’s Fake Wedding Arrested

The people living in the same building with the Emmanuels reportedly made efforts to rescue the trapped children, but the fire was raging in the room with heavy smoke, which prevented them.

One of the occupants of the building, whose room also got burnt, Adeola, said, “We were all sleeping when the night guards called our attention to the fire incident from outside around few minutes to 1a.m. We were shocked and we ran for safety only to realise that the children of Mr Tunde and Mrs Christianah Emmanuel; Glory, Samuel and the youngest Darasimi, were locked inside their room.

Advertisement

“Then, people made efforts to rescue them and somehow put out the fire with water. But this was not enough as the fire kept on blaring. Glory attempted to escape and possibly rescue his other siblings, but the door was locked from outside with a big padlock.

“As much as neighbours attempted to rescue them, they were kept away by the force of the fire before things turned awry. The water we were trying to use seemed like fuelling it the more.

“The fire fighters had difficulties getting here because most gates leading to this area had been locked. So, it was tasking getting here on time, though their efforts with two trucks of water eventually helped.”

Advertisement

Father of the deceased children, Tunde, was said to have been on a night duty in the neighbourhood, while the mother, sources said, was also on a night duty in her place of work.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Just In: Fire Razes Former Senate President’s House

The father reportedly got information about the fire outbreak where he was and rushed to his residence. On getting there, he was told that his three children had been burnt to death and he reportedly ran away immediately and nobody knew his whereabouts at the time journalists visited the scene.

Advertisement

Meanwhile, the Police Public Relations Officer for Oyo State Command, Mr. Olugbenga Fadeyi, confirmed the incident,

Advertisement
Advertisement
Comments

Metro

‘Why I Joined Cult,’ Ghana Returnee Confesses In Edo

Published

on

By

Ekhator (far left) being paraded alongside other Cultists yesterday

21-yearold Ghana returnee, Ikponmwonsa Ekhator, yesterday, confessed to newsmen that he joined the secret cult to avenge the death of his brother killed by a cult group in 2018.

He said this while being paraded by the Edo State Police Command alongside six other cult groups.

Advertisement

” I joined the cult in 2018 because of my brother that was killed by a cult group. I wanted to avenge his death”, he said.

The boy, who also said he is into yahoo, said he came back from Ghana to ply his trade in Benin with the view of being a master of his own, having been maltreated by his brother he stays with in Ghana.

When asked how many persons he had killed as a way of avenging the death of his brother, he said he has not killed anybody since he joined the cult even when his mission was to avenge the death of his brother.

Advertisement

“Since I joined the cult, I have not killed anybody though I joined to avenge my brother’s death,” he said.

Addressing newsmen, the Public Relations Officer of the command, Chidi Nwabuzor, said the arrest was in line with the Commissioner of Police, Abutu Yaro’s directive to rid the state of cultists.

“In line with the command aggressive manhunt policy to get the state rid of cultism and cultists, yesterday being Monday, 4 of July, 2022, the Command and Control, Intelligent Rapid Response Squad of Edo State Police Command, went out aggressively to hunt down the cultists in the state.

Advertisement

“You will recall, that some days ago, there has been fight and killings between the cultists in the state and that is why the Commissioner of Police Edo State, CP Abutu Yaro warned all the police operatives to go out for these criminals so that the citizens of Edo State will have their peace.

READ ALSO: JUST IN: Edo Police Kill Two Suspected Kidnappers, Injure Four In Gun Duel

“On that day 4 of July, 2022, the operation was carried, along the axis of Ekehuan, in Benin City, these suspects were arrested and they are of the security cult societies called Eiye, Vikings black axe and all”, he said.

Advertisement

The police spokesperson, while listing their feats, said the command has made a total number of 30 suspects within the few days.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

Couple Lose Four Children To Midnight Fire

Published

on

By

A couple, Chukwudi Micheal and Bolani Micheal, have been inconsolable after losing four children to a fire that gutted their two-room apartment on Tapa Road, Oke-Oko, Isawo, in the Ikorodu area of Lagos State.

It was gathered that the incident occurred around 1pm on Sunday, June 26, as one of the children, Jeremiah, 12, died on the spot.

Advertisement

The three other siblings: Prayer, 18; Trust in God, 14; and Ebube, 10, sustained severe burns and were rushed to a hospital, where they died a few days later.

The PUNCH correspondent, who spoke to the family on Monday, learnt that both husband and wife slept in a separate room with their eight-year-old surviving daughter, Esther.

The fire was said to have engulfed the room where the four boys slept.

Advertisement

The victims’ father, Chukwudi, told PUNCH Metro that he woke up to the scream of one of his children, who was calling for help.

He said, “After waking up, I alerted neighbours who helped me to break the windows of the boys because their door was locked. We were able to rescue three of the boys from the fire, but one had already been burnt to death. We rushed them immediately to a hospital with the help of a neighbour’s car, but we eventually lost them.”

READ ALSO: Late Night Fire Kills 20 Persons, Mother, Child In Kano

Advertisement

The 46-year-old noted that men of the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service only came in the morning when the fire had been put out by neighbours.

However, the Public Education Officer of the state fire service, Amodu Shakiru, stated that the fire was put out by firefighters, adding that five persons were rescued.

He said, “We rescued five persons and recovered the burnt body of a teenager.”

Advertisement

The couple noted that they were oblivious to how the fire started as anything that could start the fire had been put off.

It was observed that both husband and wife also sustained varying degrees of burns, which they were treating at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja.

A pastor with Covenant Light Church, Ikorodu, where the couple and their children worshipped, Ayoshanu Samuel, told PUNCH Metro that the victims had been buried.

Advertisement

He said the incident was reported at the Owutu Police Station.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, Benjamin Hundeyin, confirmed the incident.

He said, “Yes, it happened. The incident is still under investigation.”

Advertisement

 

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

JUST IN: Bandits Attack President Buhari’s Advance Convoy In Katsina

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be bandits have attacked the convoy of President Muhammadu Buhari in Katsina State.

The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, confirmed this in a statement on Tuesday.

Advertisement

He explained that a convoy of cars carrying the advance team of security guards, as well as protocol and media officers ahead of the President’s trip to Daura for Sallah came under attack near Dutsinma in Katsina.

The attackers, according to Shehu, opened fire on the convoy from ambush positions, but they were repelled by operatives of the military, police, and the Department of State Services (DSS) accompanying the convoy.

He stated that two persons in the convoy who sustained minor injuries were receiving treatment while all other persons made it safely to Daura.

Advertisement

The attack on the President’s advance team is the latest in the series of criminal activities by the outlaws who have continued to terrorise communities in the North West and parts of the north-central region of the country.

On Wednesday last week, bandits invaded a mining site at Ajata-Aboki in Gurmana Ward of Shiroro Local Government Area of Niger State where some persons were killed, and others abducted.

READ ALSO: Insecurity: Why Govs Should Meet With Buhari, NASS Over State Policing – Afenifere

Advertisement

Thirteen policemen and civilians reportedly lost their lives to the incident while four Chinese nationals were among the victims said to have been kidnapped.

Amid reports that about 30 bodies of soldiers, who had responded to a distress call on the attack were recovered from the bush, the Nigerian Army authorities said “a number of personnel paid the supreme price in the fierce firefight that ensued”.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending