News
Nigeria Derailed When It Adopted Presidential System Of Government – Benin Chief

A famous nationalist and Elder Statesman, Chief David Edebiri (Esogban of Benin) on Friday said Nigeria missed its way to development and Progress when it adopted the American Presidential System of government, but not wholesomely.
Edebiri made the revelations in Benin on the occasion of his 93rd birthday celebration and the unveiling of his three books titled: ‘Tripod of Life: Essence of Benin Tradition and Culture’; ‘The life and Times of Iyase N’Ohenmwen’ and ‘Immortalizing our Heros Past: Nigerian Nationalists in Focus’.
READ ALSO: Excitement As Olu Of Warri Unveils N1m Cash Prize For Warri Tech Challenge
The Benin Chief who said his mentor, Chief Anthony Enahoro, when he was alive invited him many times to ask “is this the Nigeria we fought for,” maintained that those who fought for Nigerian independence did not fight for Nigeria for what they will gain from the system, but rather for the love of the country.
“My mentor, Late Chief Anthony Enahoro would invite me to his house and will ask, “is this what we fought for ?” This is part of the questions he will ask before we start any discussion. This is not the concept of the nationalist who fought for the independence of this country, we derailed long ago.
“When we suddenly throw away the parliamentary system of government and embraced the American presidential system, but it was embraced haphazardly, because what we are doing today is neither American system, British system, nor Russian system.
“Some of us have been agitating for a return of the parliamentary system of government. If you want to adopt a country’s system of government, you adopted it wholesomely and not haphazardly.
“Today, our judiciary is British and we are operating an American system. What we have is people going into politics for what they are to gain, that is not how it used to be. We fought for this country so that we can be free not because we want to be senators.”

Earlier in his welcome address, the Chairman of the Planning Committee, Prof C. E Ugolo said the launching of the three books makes it eleven titles from the nonagenarian, concluding that he is still strong at 93 years.
READ ALSO: Stolen Crude Oil Found In Churches, Mosques – NNPC
“It gives me great pleasure to welcome you to this special event put together to mark the 93 birthday of a distinguished Nigerian, an elder statesman, great politician, successful businessman, cultural activist and prolific writer Chief Dr. David Edebiri.
“Today he is launching three of his latest books in the Benin Historical Series, making it eleven titles in all. Even at his 93rd Birthday, his creativity is still very fresh, fruitful and bustling. He has even outclassed some of us who are in the academic world
“However, due to the prevailing insecurity situation in the country, he has shifted from the traditional method of book Launch and thus adopted a model of individual launching from the comfort of their homes. Today’s ceremony is special in many ways that is, marking his birthday, with his primary constituency the press, having lunch with them, giving them the opportunity to interact with him on current political issues, and presenting his latest book titles.” He said
The books were presented by Prof Benson Osadolor, a former Vice Chancellor of the Ambrose Ali University Ekpoma and Prof Eddy Erahagbe,former Dean Faculty of Arts, University of Benin.
News
Insecurity: What Sheikh Gumi Told Me After Visiting Bandits Hideouts — Obasanjo

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has revealed details of a private discussion he held with controversial Islamic cleric, Sheikh Ahmad Gumi, regarding the state of insecurity in Nigeria’s forests and the fortification of bandit hideouts.
Speaking in an interview, Obasanjo disclosed that he invited Sheikh Gumi for a meeting following the cleric’s well-publicised visits to meet with bandits in their forest encampments.
Gumi’s firsthand account, according to Obasanjo’s revelation, challenged official narratives regarding military operations in those areas.
According to Obasanjo, Gumi informed him that the bandits had so heavily fortified their positions that any security personnel claiming to have penetrated those specific enclaves were lying.
Obasanjo recounted that the cleric was visibly emotional while describing the demographics of the insurgents, noting that Gumi admitted to weeping after seeing young boys, aged between 13 and 15, who were soaked in hard drugs and carrying dangerous weapons.
He narrated, “When Sheikh Gumi went to meet those boys in the forest, I invited him to come and see me. The first thing he said is that where those boys are they’ve fortified themself, and even if any security personnel claimed they had gone into the area, they were lying to you. He said what made him weep was [seeing] boys of 13, 14, 15 years, soaked in drugs and carrying gun.”
READ ALSO:Why I Refused To Endorse El-Rufai As My Successor — Obasanjo
The former President described the condition of these children as wrecked, stating that the situation remains a significant source of worry for the nation.
“They are wrecked and that worried us. 20 million children that should be in school but are not in school. Those that have no employment, no job and they see in you in abstain affluence, what do you expect them to do?”, he said.
News
FULL LIST: Wike revokes land belonging to Ilorin Emir, Lamido, Fayose, Iyabo Obasanjo, Others In Abuja

Duke, David Mark, Anenih, Ganduje, CBN, Navy, NNPC, Oyo, Kaduna, Borno, others also affected
The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has approved the revocation of 1,095 properties in the FCT belonging to prominent Nigerians after they failed to pay ground rent, land use conversion or Certificate of Occupancy bills. This decision was contained in a statement signed by the management of the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) Department of Land Administration at the weekend.
The FCTA stated that the enforcement action to be taken against the defaulters commenced after a 14 day grace period, which expired on Tuesday, November 25, 2025. Out of the 1,095 defaulters, 835 were listed as ground rent defaulters, while 260 were listed as land use contravention payment defaulters. The list also contained the file numbers, plot numbers, CADZONE, districts, rent owed, and revocation dates of the listed properties.
The properties listed in the statement included those belonging to federal and state governments, businesses and prominent individuals.
Notable individuals on the list are former Chief of Army Staff, Theophilus Yakubu Danjuma; former First Lady, Patience Jonathan; former Senate President, David Mark; former Jigawa State governor, Sule Lamido; Senator Ali Ndume; former PDP national chairman, Abubakar Kawu Baraje; former Osun State deputy governor, Senator Iyiola Omisore; Emir of Ilorin, Ibrahim Sulu Gambari; elderstateman, Professor Bolaji Akinyemi; elderstateman, Tony Anenih; former Minister of Petroleum, Alison Madueke.
READ ALSO:BREAKING: Drama As Wike-backed PDP Expels Makinde, Mohammed, Dauda
Former governors on the list include Abdullahi Ganduje (Kano); Adeniyi Adebayo (Ekiti); Donald Duke (Cross River); Aliyu Wamakko (Sokoto); Ibrahim Dankwambo (Gombe); Ayodele Fayose (Ekiti); Olagunsoye Oyinlola (Osun).
Others are Minister of State for Industry, John Owan Enoh; Aminu Alhassan Dantata; Bashir Tofa; Audu Abubakar; Bello Mohamed Sani; Mohammed Rabiu; Senator from Ondo State, Senator Jimoh Ibrahim; Ado Abdullahi Bayero; Tanko Abdullahi; Adetunji Olurin; Ghali Umar Na’abba; Dorcas Kuforiji Olubi; Olu Agunloye; Kamorudeen Adekunle Adedibu; Hakeem Baba Ahmed; Iyabo Olusola Obasanjo; Shehu Musa Labaran; Onaolapo Olusegun Soleye; Babatunde Idiagbon.
Notable institutions on the list are the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), the Nigeria Navy, the Office of the National Security Adviser, Federal Ministry of Finance, Nigerian Navy, the Nigeria Police, Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Borno State, Kaduna, Oyo State governments.
READ ALSO:I’ll Support Trump To Fight Terrorism In Nigeria If… – Wike
Others are BUA International Limited, First Bank of Nigeria, Standard Trust Bank, Guaranty Trust Bank, Ecobank, Union Bank, United Bank for Africa (UBA), Zenith Bank, Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), Committee of Vice Chancellors of federal universities and National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW).
The FCTA added that the publication of the defaulting properties came after several notices in national dailies, online platforms and television stations requesting the defaulters to settle their financial obligations and liabilities. The FCTA further stated that by defaulting on the payments, the defaulters have “Contravenes the provisions of Section 28, Subsection 5(a) and (b) of the Land Use Act and also the terms and conditions of the grants of the respective Rights of Occupancy.”
News
Resident Doctors Suspend Strike, Issue Fresh Four-week Ultimatum

The Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) has suspended its indefinite strike, which began on November 1 and lasted 29 days.
NARD’s National President, Dr. Mohammad Suleiman, announced the suspension on Saturday through his X account @mohagirei, following an extraordinary meeting of the National Executive Council (NEC) of the association.
Suleiman stated that the decision came after “a series of conciliatory meetings” with the Federal Government.
These discussions led to the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) that addressed the association’s 19-point demands.
Among the unresolved issues was the payment of promotion arrears. Suleiman noted that the compilation of these arrears by Chief Medical Directors and Managing Directors had not yet been completed, although a four-week deadline was set for payment.
READ ALSO:Doctors’ Strike Continues As NARD Demands Fair Deal, Better Pay
Additionally, he mentioned that salary arrears are expected to be cleared within the same four-week period, in accordance with the agreement reached.
Regarding the specialist allowance, Suleiman indicated that the Office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation (OHCSF) has already issued a clear directive.
Furthermore, he mentioned that the National Salaries, Incomes, and Wages Commission is expected to take the necessary steps to implement it.
The NARD leader also noted that the committee report on the “Lokoja Five”—resident doctors disengaged from the Federal Teaching Hospital, Lokoja—recommended their reabsorption.
Suleiman said this was expected to be fully implemented within two weeks.
READ ALSO:Resident Doctors Declare Nationwide Strike
He said the MoU further stated that NARD and the Federal Government were finalising processes for addressing failed or omitted payments relating to the 25/35 per cent review and accoutrement allowance.
He said lists of residents due for upgrade were still being awaited from centre leaders to allow completion of the upgrade process, adding that the Post-Assessment Tool (PAT) had been released.
Suleiman stated that the issue of skipping and entry level placement had been resolved following a directive from the OHCSF, while all outstanding matters relating to house officers had also been settled.
He added that an interim directive had been issued to CMDs and MDs to stop what the association described as “obnoxious clauses” in locum engagements.
According to him, an advisory had been sent to health facility heads to limit excessive call duties and ensure adequate breaks for doctors.
READ ALSO:JUST IN: Resident Doctors In Abuja Suspend Indefinite Strike
He said committees set up to review the locum policy and regulate work hours were expected to produce comprehensive policy documents within two months.
Suleiman added that the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) process would continue as soon as possible, while the discussion on consultant cadre for other health professionals would form part of that engagement.
He added the special pensions committee was also expected to resume its sittings.
Suleiman said the NEC resolved to suspend the strike for four weeks “to allow room and show this uncommon gesture while we follow up implementation.
“Progress has been made, significantly, and this is simply because of the efforts and convictions of NARDites across the country.
READ ALSO:JUST IN: Resident Doctors Begin Five-day Warning Strike Today
“Mistakes have also been made. Kindly rest those mistakes solely on my shoulders as president.”
He added that the next phase would involve sustained engagement with Nigerians and the Federal Government during the four-week window.
“Failure to ensure the full implementation of the above A, B, C, D, will mean the lifting of the suspension on the strike action by NEC and the resumption of the strike.
“The countdown for the four weeks shall start on Monday and shall be a daily reminder to Nigerians and the Federal Government to adequately use this ‘four weeks window’ justly and fully,” he said.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Nov. 1 strike—NARD’s latest in a series of industrial actions—was embarked on over unpaid arrears, stalled promotions, allowances, staffing gaps and other welfare-related grievances.
Metro5 days agoJUST IN: Again, Terrorists Storm Kwara Community, Kidnap Pregnant Woman, 10 Children, Others
News4 days agoHow To Access Your Pension Before Retirement
News4 days agoBREAKING: Tinubu Declares Nationwide Security Emergency, Orders Armed Forces To Recruit More Personnel
Headline4 days agoCoup In Guinea-Bissau? Soldiers Deployed Near Presidential Palace After Gunfire
Metro3 days agoBREAKING: Bandits Abduct Teenage Boy, Six Girls From FCT Community
Metro3 days agoJUST IN: One Dead As Ngige Escapes Assassination
News3 days agoGuinea-Bissau Coup: FG Gives Update On Ex-President Jonathan
News3 days agoOkpebholo Fires EDOGIS Managing Director
News4 days agoTinubu Appoints Non-Career Ambassadors For US, UK, France
Politics5 days agoCrack In Edo APC As Group Accuses Party Chieftain Of Acting Opposition’s Script















