Connect with us

Headline

Nigerians In India Arrested For Overstaying, Police Attacked

Published

on

About 100 people of African descent surrounded a police squad in the Neb Sarai district of South Delhi, on Saturday, clashed with them and freed Nigerian nationals who had been detained for visa expiration by force anti-drug.

The detainees were taken to the police station.

Advertisement

A team from the narcotics unit had gone at 2:30 pm to Raju Park in Neb Sarai for deportation proceedings for overstaying foreign nationals and picked up three Nigerian citizens whose visas had expired.

Meanwhile, a mob of over 100 people of African descent surrounded them and obstructed the police operation.

Two of the three inmates managed to escape during the chaos, but police managed to catch one of them again, 22-year-old Philip.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Private Jet: What I did When EFCC Probed Me – Pastor Adeboye

Later, a joint team from Neb Sarai Police Station and Narcotics Squad again went to Raju Park at 6:30 p.m. and arrested four Nigerians, including a woman.

In retaliation, 150 to 200 people of African descent again surrounded the police team and tried to help the detainees escape, police said.

Advertisement

The police managed to control the escalation of the situation and brought the offenders to Neb Sarai police station, where their deportation process is underway.

 

Advertisement
Advertisements

Advertisement
Comments

Headline

78% Of Nigerians Don’t Trust INEC, Says Report

Published

on

By

Only 23 per cent of Nigerians say they trust the Independent National Electoral Commission “somewhat” or “a lot,” while more than three-fourths (78 per cent) express “just a little” or no trust at all in the election-management body, a joint report by NOI Polls, Afrobarometer, and CDD Ghana has shown.

The report titled, “Nigerians want competitive elections but don’t trust the electoral commission,” and published on Dispatch No. 598 of Afrobarometer, also revealed that trust in INEC had declined by 12 per cent since 2017.

Advertisement

The Afrobarometer team in Nigeria, led by NOIPolls, said it interviewed a “nationally representative, random, stratified probability sample” of 1,600 adult Nigerians between 5 and 31 March 2022.

According to the research network, a sample of this size “yields country-level results with a margin of error of +/-2.5 percentage points at a 95 per cent confidence level”.

Previous standard surveys were conducted in Nigeria in 2000, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2013, 2015, 2017, and 2020 by the organisation.

Advertisement

The PUNCH reports that the INEC Chairman, Mahmood Yakubu, has continuously promised Nigerians that their votes will count at the 2023 polls, assuring them that the season of rigging is over.

READ ALSO: Oyo: Police Uncover Plot To Attack Banks, Malls Over Naira, Fuel Scarcity

In addition to reservations about election quality, one red flag for Nigeria’s upcoming elections is citizens’ weak trust in the Independent National Electoral Commission,” a part of the report read.

Advertisement

The report headlined by NOIPolls’ Head of Social Research, Raphael Mbaegbu, and Afrobarometer’s Coordinator for Anglophone West and North Africa also showed that trust in INEC had been “fairly weak throughout the past two decades” and had “declined by 12 percentage points since 2017”.

“Popular trust in the INEC is a central issue, and distrust is a major concern, especially in the southern states. The upcoming election is an opportunity for the electoral management body to regain the trust of the electorate by proving itself independent, credible, and competent,” the report added.
PUNCH

Advertisement
Advertisements

Continue Reading

Headline

Only Africans Can Solve Continent’s Problems – US General

Published

on

By

A top United States military officer Chase D. Patrick has stressed that the problems of Africa can only be solved by homegrown solutions.

The Director of Maritime Headquarters at U.S. Naval Forces Europe-Africa and Sixth Fleet made the remark at a press briefing of the Department of State’s Africa Regional Media Hub.

Advertisement

Rear Admiral Patrick discussed Exercise Obangame Express 2023, one of three African regional exercises facilitated by his formation and sponsored by U.S. Africa Command.

The General responded to a question on how Obangame enables collaborative solutions to the insurgency problems across the coastline of West Africa.

Patrick said U.S. Naval Forces remain committed to being a reliable and long-term partner in Atlantic Africa as security on the waters surrounding the continent was critical to maintaining a safe global environment.

Advertisement

The senior officer confirmed America was aware that the dynamic threat posed by violent extremist organizations do require creative and collaborative solutions.

Patrick commended African nations for taking the lead in pushing maritime security toward the top of their international agenda.

The U.S. Naval Forces, he continued, sees the development of maritime skills and enhanced relationships with African partners as a critical piece to enhancing maritime safety.

Advertisement

Obangame Express provides the opportunity to collaborate and work on combined capabilities to combat maritime challenges, the Rear Admiral explained.

“From boarding procedures to legal jurisdiction and prosecution, we’re working together to become a stronger force.

READ ALSO: APC Supporters Clash At National Secretariat

Advertisement

“We recognize that African problems can only be solved by African solutions, and that is why we’re here, to learn from each other and share ideas to enhance maritime security.”

Patrick added that building good relationships, training and operating together in the form of exercises ultimately builds trust, the foundation of any good relationship.

The General oversees all Africa partnership station exercises in West, North, and East Africa, which includes Obangame, Phoenix, and Cutlass Express.

Advertisement

Advertisements

Continue Reading

Headline

UK Police Drop Attempted Rape Charge Against Man Utd Star

Published

on

By

Charges of attempted rape and assault against Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood have been dropped by prosecutors, British police said on Thursday.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material coming to light were factors in their decision to stop the case against the 21-year-old.

Advertisement

Greater Manchester Police said it was “only fair” that they announce that Greenwood, who was arrested in January last year, would no longer face criminal proceedings “given the significant media coverage of this case”.

The striker originally faced one count of attempted rape, one count of controlling and coercive behaviour and one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, all against the same complainant.

READ ALSO: bristWhat Nigeria Election Means Globally – British High Commission

Advertisement

“In this case a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction,” the CPS said in a statement.

“In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case.”

Greenwood, who has played 129 times for United, scoring 35 goals, last played for United against West Ham in January last year.

Advertisement

“Given the significant media coverage of this case, it is only fair that we share the news that the 21-year-old man, who had been arrested and charged in connection with an investigation opened in January 2022, no longer faces criminal proceedings in relation to this,” said chief superintendent Michaela Kerr.

“The investigation team has remained in regular contact with the legal team, providing any updates of note, and so understand the rationale for the discontinuation of proceedings at this stage, and that this decision has not been taken lightly.

“Despite the media and public’s interest in this case, we have decided not to comment on it in any further detail.

Advertisement

Greenwood, a product of United’s academy, and once considered one of English football’s brightest prospects, made his senior debut for the Red Devils in a Champions League victory at Paris Saint-Germain in March 2019.

READ ALSO: JUST IN: Boris Johnson Resigns As British Prime Minister

He signed a new contract at United in February 2021 that runs until at least 2025.

Advertisement

The forward made his England debut against Iceland in September 2020, but he and Manchester City midfielder Phil Foden were sent home after breaching the team’s coronavirus guidelines.

Nike suspended and later terminated its sponsorship deal with the player, while Electronic Arts confirmed his removal from active squads on its FIFA 22 game following his arrest.

Advertisement
Advertisements

Continue Reading

Trending