Headline
No Peace Until Hamas Is Destroyed, Israel PM Declares

Israel bombed Gaza on Tuesday after its Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed there won’t be peace until its Hamas rulers are destroyed and Palestinian society is “deradicalised”.
The army said it had struck more than 100 targets in 24 hours, including military sites and tunnel shafts in central Jabalia and Khan Yunis in the south, as heavy ground combat continued.
The withering military campaign launched after the Hamas attacks of October 7 has caused mass civilian casualties and widespread hunger and reduced much of the coastal territory to rubble.
The UN World Health Organization reported “harrowing” accounts of entire families killed during Christmas Eve strikes on the Al-Maghazi refugee camp in the central area of the Gaza Strip.
Global concern has mounted and international calls for a ceasefire have multiplied but Netanyahu vowed to stay the course in an op-ed published in the Wall Street Journal late Monday.
“Hamas must be destroyed, Gaza must be demilitarised and Palestinian society must be deradicalised,” he argued.
“These are the three prerequisites for peace between Israel and its Palestinian neighbours in Gaza.”
READ ALSO: Israel’s Goal Of Eliminating Us ‘Doomed To Fail’ – Hamas
Once the fighting ends, he said, “for the foreseeable future Israel will have to retain overriding security responsibility over Gaza” and build a “temporary security zone on the perimeter” of the territory.
Netanyahu had earlier visited Israeli troops inside Gaza, then reportedly told a meeting of his conservative Likud party that “we’re not stopping… We’re intensifying the fighting in the coming days”.
The bloodiest ever Gaza war erupted when Hamas attacked southern Israel on October 7 and killed about 1,140 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on Israeli figures.
They took 250 hostages of whom 129 remain inside Gaza.
Israel launched extensive aerial bombardment and a siege followed by a ground invasion. The campaign has killed 20,674 people, mostly women and children, according to Hamas-run Gaza’s health ministry.
‘Great destruction’
The Israeli army published footage showing its troops moving through the muddy war zone of shattered buildings as gunfire rings out, tanks churning up dust and a soldier firing a heavy machine gun from a window.
The army says 158 Israeli soldiers have been killed inside Gaza.
AFPTV images from Gaza City’s devastated and largely deserted Tal al-Hawa area showed dirt roads winding through mountains of rubble amid multi-storey buildings pancaked by strikes or standing askew.
“By God, the destruction is very great, and all the owners of the place have been displaced to the south,” says one Palestinian man. “May God help people through the misfortunes they are in.”
READ ALSO: Protests In Israel Over Death Of Hamas Hostages
Video footage from inside the city’s Al-Quds Hospital showed an empty ward with a hole blasted into a wall, broken window glass strewn across the floor and medical equipment covered in a layer of dust.
Some residents of Al-Maghazi refugee camp returned to the ruins of their homes after strikes that Gaza’s health ministry said killed at least 70 people. AFP was unable to independently verify that toll.
One of those coming back, Zeyad Awad, said there had been no evacuation warning before the strikes.
“What should we do?” he asked. “We are civilians, living peacefully and wanting only safety and security.”
WHO staff visited a hospital treating victims of the strikes and “heard harrowing accounts” from health workers and victims, said the agency’s chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.
Sean Casey, a WHO emergency medical teams coordinator, described the fate of a nine-year-old being treated who was expected to die.
“He was crossing the street in front of the shelter where his family is staying and the building beside him blew up,” he said.
The Israeli army said it was “reviewing the incident” and added that it was “committed to international law including taking feasible steps to minimise harm to civilians”.
READ ALSO: Israel Battles Hamas As UN Calls Gaza ‘Hell On Earth’
‘Real hunger’
Vast areas of Gaza lie in ruins and its 2.4 million people are enduring dire shortages of water, food, fuel and medicine, alleviated only by the limited arrival of aid trucks.
“Now there is real hunger,” said Nour Ismail, who was waiting for food to be distributed in the southern city of Rafah.
“My children are dying of hunger.”
An estimated 1.9 million Gazans have been displaced, according to the UN, many fleeing south and crowded into shelters or makeshift tents in the winter cold, even as the fighting comes ever closer.
Netanyahu told Likud party members on Monday that he was ready to support the voluntary migration of civilians out of the Gaza Strip, the Israeli newspaper Haaretz reported.
He reportedly told party members “our problem is not whether to allow an exit, but that there will be countries that are willing to absorb an exit”.
READ ALSO: Israel-Hamas War Taking Away Focus From Ukraine, Zelensky Laments
Hamas rejected as “absurd” any such discussion. Palestinians “refuse to be deported and displaced”, it said in a statement. “There can’t be exile and there is no other choice than to remain on our land.”
The Gaza war has heightened regional tensions between, on the one hand, Israel and its ally the United States, and, on the other, Iran-backed armed groups in Lebanon, Syria, Iraq and Yemen.
Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps said an Israeli air strike in Syria had killed the senior Quds Force commander Razi Moussavi, and President Ebrahim Raisi vowed Israel “will certainly pay for this crime”.
In Iraq the US military launched strikes on pro-Iran groups whom it has blamed for more than 100 attacks in recent weeks, said US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin.
The Iraqi government denounced the air strikes, which it said had killed one member of the security forces and wounded at least 18 others, as a “hostile act”.
Headline
‘Pioneer Of Cable TV News’: Key Facts About CNN Founder, Ted Turner

Ted Turner, the media businessman who founded CNN died at the age of 87. He died peacefully on Wednesday, surrounded by family, according to Turner Enterprises.
Contents
Launched 24-hour news television
Built a media network
Expanded through sports
Recognition and influence
Philanthropy and global causes
Environmental efforts
Health and later years
Early career path
Leadership and legacy
Personal life
Exit from business
Family
Below are key facts about his life and impact:
Launched 24-hour news television
Turner founded CNN on June 1, 1980, introducing the first 24-hour news channel and changing how audiences follow global events.
READ ALSO:CNN To Layoff 200 Staff Amid Attempts To Modernise Business
Built a media network
He moved from billboards into broadcasting, turning an Atlanta TV station into a national superstation in 1976. His business later grew to include CNN International, TNT, Turner Classic Movies and Cartoon Network.
Expanded through sports
Turner invested in sports broadcasting and owned teams including the Atlanta Braves and the Atlanta Hawks, using television to reach wider audiences.
Recognition and influence
In 1991, he was named Time magazine’s Man of the Year for his role in shaping modern news coverage.
Philanthropy and global causes
He founded the United Nations Foundation and supported campaigns against nuclear weapons. In 1997, he pledged $1 billion to the United Nations.
READ ALSO:CNN President, Jeff Zucker Resigns After Failing To Disclose Secret Affair With Colleague
Turner supported conservation work, including reintroducing bison in the United States, and backed environmental education through the “Captain Planet” cartoon.
Health and later years
In 2018, Turner revealed he had Lewy body dementia. He also recovered from a mild case of pneumonia in early 2025.
Early career path
He took over his father’s billboard company at 24 after his father’s death and later expanded into radio and television, despite limited experience in journalism.
“I worked until 7 o’clock, and when I got home the news was over,” he once said. “So I missed television news completely. And I figured there were lots of people like me.”
Leadership and legacy
READ ALSO:CNN Reporter Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee
“Ted was an intensely involved and committed leader, intrepid, fearless and always willing to back a hunch and trust his own judgement,” Mark Thompson, Chairman and CEO of CNN Worldwide, said in a statement. “He was and always will be the presiding spirit of CNN. Ted is the giant on whose shoulders we stand, and we will all take a moment today to recognize him and his impact on our lives and the world.”
Personal life
Turner married actress Jane Fonda in 1991, and they later divorced after 10 years, though they remained close.
“I would never love anyone like I love him,” she said. “But I just couldn’t keep moving in his world, along the surface for the rest of my life. I knew that I would get to the end of my life and regret not doing the things that I also needed to do for me.”
Exit from business
He sold his company to Time Warner in 1996 and later stepped away following its merger with AOL.
Reflecting on his life, Turner once said: “I lost Jane. I lost my job here. I lost my fortune, most of it. Got a billion or two left. You can get by on that if you economize.”
Family
He is survived by his five children, 14 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
Headline
Iran’s Nationwide Internet Shutdown Hits 70 Days

NetBlocks, a monitoring group, has disclosed that an internet shutdown enforced by the Iranian regime has entered its 70th day, severing key access from swathes of the population under the shadow of war.
NetBlocks reported on Friday that the blackout has now surpassed 1,656 hours, marking more than two months since US-Israeli strikes pounded Tehran and escalated across the Middle East.
“Digital connectivity is vital in times of crisis,” NetBlocks said in a post on X. “Limiting service harms those most in need – people with disabilities, students, small businesses and the general public.”
READ ALSO:US Underestimated Iran Before War – France’s Bardella
According to CNN, Iran imposed a separate internet shutdown on the country’s 92 million people earlier this year, when it launched the most lethal crackdown on anti-government protesters since the Islamic Republic’s founding 47 years ago.
CNN further reports that the latest blackout has cut off another potential lifeline for Iranian residents faced with high unemployment and economic pressure exacerbated by the US-Israeli campaign.
(CNN)
Headline
Gas Prices In US Edge Down After Two Weeks Of Increases

The cost of a gallon of regular gas in the United States (US) has edged down a little more than a penny to $4.55.
According to AAA’s readings, this marks the first decline in the average gas price after 15 straight days of increases.
The decline is minuscule compared to the large increases in gas prices over the last two weeks.
According to CNN, gasoline costs rose an average of nearly 4 cents a day during that period and had several daily increases of between 7 and 9 cents.
READ ALSO:Gas Station Explosion Rocks Calabar, Scores Injured, Property Destroyed
Also Read: Trump insists US-Iran ceasefire intact despite recent exchange of fire
CNN also reports that based on past gas spikes, it will likely take weeks for gas prices to get down below $4 a gallon.
The report, however, states that a previous two-week stretch of gas price declines only shaved 14 cents off the average price, taking the average price to $4.02, before the recent 15-day run of increases.
READ ALSO:Tinubu Signs Executive Order To Protect Nigeria’s Oil & Gas Revenue
According to CNN, it could take months for the average price to fall below $3 per gallon, as it did before the war in Iran.
CNN further reports that only one state – Oklahoma – now has an average price of less than $4 a gallon, and its average stands at $3.98. California has the highest average price at $6.16.
(CNN)
Politics5 days agoFubara Clears Air On ‘Defection’ To NDC [VIDEO]
News4 days agoGun Battle In Oyo Forest As Police Disrupt ₦10m Ransom Collection Plot
Politics3 days agoFour Fubara Loyalists Disqualified As APC Clears 21 For Rivers Reps Primaries
News5 days agoEx-power Minister Jailed 75 Years Over Fraud
Metro4 days agoDrama As Teenagers Stage Secret Wedding With N3,000 Bride Price
Politics3 days ago2027: Court Rebukes Plaintiff, Lawyer In Suit Against Jonathan, Awards N1m Fine
News3 days agoLagos Sanctions 15 Money Lending Companies For Sharp Practices
Politics5 days ago2027: Daniel-Abiodun Feud Deepens Over Senatorial Ticket For Ogun East
News4 days agoPAP Sends Additional 15 Scholarship Beneficiaries For Post-Graduate Studies In UK
Politics5 days ago2027: APC Clears Delta Speaker, Disqualifies 36 Aspirants














