Politics
Ondo Poll: APC Aspirants Absent At Meeting With Aiyedatiwa
Published
2 years agoon
By
Editor
The Ondo State Governor, Lucky Aiyedatiwa, on Monday, met with the stakeholders of the All Progressives Congress in the state, calling on them to promote unity for the progress of the party.
The meeting came barely three weeks after Aiyedatiwa was sworn in as the seventh executive governor of the state following the death of his predecessor and principal, Rotimi Akeredolu.
Monday’s meeting was the first Aiyedatiwa would hold with APC chieftains after he assumed office as governor.
At the moment, activities towards the governorship election in the state coming up later in the year have started gathering momentum.
READ ALSO: Gospel Singer, Moses Bliss Shares How He Met His Fiancée, Marie
The APC had ruled out giving Aiyedatiwa an automatic ticket for the election.
At the Monday meeting, many of the Ondo APC bigwigs eyeing the seat of the governor were absent.
At the meeting held at the International Culture and Event Centre, Akure, only one governorship aspirant, Mrs Oladunni Odu, who is Secretary to the State Government, was present.
Some of the governorship aspirants, who did not attend the meeting, were Chief Olusola Oke, Mr Wake Akinterinwa, Senator Jimoh Ibrahim, Mr Mayowa Akinfolarin, Mr Gbenga Edema, Jimi Odimayo and Olamide Ohunyeye.
Also, only one member of the National Assembly, Abiola Makinde, attended the meeting.
READ ALSO: Economic Hardship: Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sale Of Omo, Others
The National Vice Chairman (South-West ) of the party, Mr Isaac Kekemeke, the Minister of Interior, Olubumi Tunji-Ojo, and the Minister of State for Youths Development, Ayodele Olawande, were absent from the meeting.
It was gathered that an invitation was not extended to the absentees as the meeting was called at the instance of Governor Aiyedatiwa ahead of the forthcoming primary of the party in April.
Stating the reason for his absence, one of the aspirants, Oke, said, “I received the invitation for that meeting at 2:00 a.m. today (Monday). I saw it on my phone and the meeting is 11:00 a.m. and already, I am in Abuja going to attend an important function.
“I responded to it that the notice came too short and I couldn’t attend, but I had no reason not to attend the meeting. I would have attended if I had been notified earlier. I don’t know if it was sent late deliberately or not.”
Similarly, another aspirant and former member of the House of Representatives, Mr Mayowa Akinfolarin, said he was not invited to the meeting and he could not attend such an event.
READ ALSO: SERAP, 20 Others Sue Akpabio, Abbas, Others For Increasing Own Budget By N147bn
“I was not invited to the meeting; my close associates were not invited too,” Akinfolarin stated.
But the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Mr Ebenezer Adeniyan, said every stakeholder was invited to the meeting.
“They were all invited through their local governments,” the CPS stated.
Speaking at the stakeholders meeting, Aiyedatiwa urged the chieftains of the party to embrace peace and unity ahead of the coming governorship election in the state, appealing to them to forget the past and move the party forward. He also declared that there was no vacancy in the governor’s office currently.
“We must all come together as one family to work together for the progress of our party knowing for sure this is an election year, an election to the office of the Governor of Ondo State even though the seat is not vacant currently. Let us work together In oneness and in peace so that our party, the APC, will continue to govern this state,” the governor said.
The state Chairman of the APC, Mr Ade Adetimehin, commended the governor for the timely engagement of the party stakeholders, stressing that party leaders must put the past behind them to foster unity ahead of the coming governorship election.
Those present at the meeting included members of the state House of Assembly, led by the Speaker, Mr Olamide Oladiji, former deputy governors, Alhaji Ali Olanusi and Alhaji Lasisi Oluboyo, a former state chairman of the party, Ambassador Sola Iji, former SSG, Sunday Abegunde, member of the House of Representatives, Mr Biola Makinde, Chief Segun Ojo, Chief Jamiu Ekungba, Mrs. Jumoke Anifowose, among many others.
You may like
Why APC Candidates Contested 2023 LG Election Despite Intimidation — State Chairman
[BREAKING] Edo: APC Suspends Ex-senatorial Aspirant Of Party
2027: You Will Lose 80% Of Northern Muslim Votes If…, APC Forum Warns Tinubu
Crisis Rocks Sokoto APC As Defunct CPC Bloc Alleges Marginalisation
APC Disowns Members Calling For State Secretary’s Resignation
Prove You Are Not Terrorist Organisations, Falana Challenges APC, PDP
Politics
Edo PDP Knocks Okpebholo Over ₦2.5b Donation To UBTH
Published
1 day agoon
August 27, 2025By
Editor
Edo State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has condemned the approval of ₦2.5 billion to the University of Benin Teaching Hospital by Governor Monday Okpebholo.
The Governor announced the approval on Tuesday when the new Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Idia Ize-Iyamu, paid a courtesy visit to him in Government House, Benin.
Ize-Iyamu had requested the state government’s assistance in constructing a world-class Paediatric Centre worth N2.5 billion which the governor approved.
However, the PDP, in a statement by its Caretaker Committee Publicity Secretary, Chris Nehikhare said the governor should have invested the money on state-owned hospitals instead of a federal institution.
READ ALSO:He Could Barely Garner 300,000 Votes, Yet Promising Tinubu 2.5m Votes, PDP Mocks Okpehbolo
The statement statement partly reads, “This misadventure is not only reckless but a glaring example of the 2027 election fixation and desperate eye-service politics that has defined Okpebholo’s almost one year in office.
“Edo people are being made to suffer while their resources are squandered on federal facilities that are not the primary responsibility of the state.
“We align with the position of the Association of Resident Doctors under Edo State Government Employment, who have openly decried this misplaced priority. Their statement exposes what Edo people already know, our hospitals are collapsing, yet the Governor prefers to chase cheap popularity.”
The PDP said that Stella Obasanjo Hospital, which was rebuilt with state funds, remained locked with less than a tenth in use, wondering why the ₦2.5 billion was not channelled there.
READ ALSO:JUST IN: Okpehbolo Suspends His Special Adviser On Oil And Gas
The statement added, “The Edo Specialist Hospital continues to cry for expansion and adequate support but has been ignored by a government obsessed with pleasing political benefactors and seeking headlines.
“The General Hospital in Abudu is no more than a mere patent medicine store, and yet, ‘₦2.5 billion that belongs to Odogwu is being given to Caesar.”
The PDP also noted that Edo doctors, who only recently suspended their strike, still have their legitimate demands unmet.
“Edo people obviously did not elect a Governor to act as a philanthropist to federal institutions. They elected a leader to fix our hospitals, build capacity, and ensure access to healthcare for all. By neglecting this sacred duty, Okpebholo has shown that he is unprepared, unserious, and out of touch with the realities of Edo citizens.
READ ALSO:Edo Govt Demolishes Building Owned by Suspected Cultist
“We in the PDP demand that this decision be reversed and that urgent attention be given to Edo-owned hospitals which directly serve our people. Edo deserves working hospitals, not political monuments built with eyes on the 2027 elections.
“This is not leadership. This is a reckless waste. And Edo people will not forget,” the statement added.
Efforts to get the government’s response proved futile, as a top official, who pleaded anonymity, said that a response will come on Thursday.

The Peoples Democratic Party’s 102nd National Executive Committee meeting has resolved to zone its 2027 presidential ticket to the South while retaining the existing National Working Committee zoning formula for the November elective convention.
Addressing journalists after the NEC meeting in Abuja on Monday, the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Debo Ologunagba, disclosed that the decision followed the presentation of a report by the Zoning Committee chaired by Bayelsa State Governor, Douye Diri.
Recall that during the 2023 elections, the PDP threw its presidential ticket open, leading to the emergence of former Vice President Atiku Abubakar as its candidate.
However, some southern leaders, led by then Rivers State Governor and now FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, opposed him over what they saw as an unfair power-sharing arrangement for the South.
READ ALSO:Prove You Are Not Terrorist Organisations, Falana Challenges APC, PDP
In the end, the PDP candidate lost to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu of the All Progressives Congress.
After declaring the zoning arrangement, Ologunagba added that the NEC also expressed satisfaction over the level of preparedness of the PDP’s various organs, Chapters and structures for the 2025 Elective National Convention scheduled for Ibadan, the Oyo State Capital on Saturday 15th to Sunday 16th November 2025.
Ologunagba, while reading the 102nd NEC communiqué, said the meeting commended the efforts of PDP governors, Board of Trustees, NWC, National Assembly caucus, and other party organs toward the success of the 2025 National Convention.
The communique read in part, “NEC received and after extensive deliberation approved the report of the National Convention Zoning Committee which recommended that all PDP National Office positions currently in the Northern Region of the country remain in the Northern Region.
READ ALSO:Anenih’s Son Dumps PDP, Gives Reason
“That all PDP National Office positions currently in the Southern Region of the country remain in the Southern Region.
“That having retained the position of the National Chairman in the Northern Region of the country, the Presidential Candidate of the Party for the 2027 General Election is hereby zoned to the Southern Region.
“That the Regions should immediately micro-zone positions within its Region for implementation.
“NEC also received an update from the PDP Constitution Amendment Committee and directed the Committee to circulate the Draft Constitution Amendment to various Organs and Chapters of the Party for further inputs.”
Ologunagba said NEC confirmed Umar Damagum as substantive National Chairman, effective Monday, August 25, 2025, in recognition of his role in stabilising the party, pending the National Convention.
READ ALSO:PDP Announces National Convention Zoning Committee Inauguration Date
He continued, “NEC condemns the resort by the All Progressives Congress (APC) to State Capture through state-backed intimidation, manipulation, inducement, coercion and violence against Nigerians as witnessed in APC’s muzzling of the recent bye-elections in parts of the country.
“NEC particularly expressed dismay and condemned the militarisation of the recent bye-elections especially in Kaduna and Taraba States as well as Zamfara State where excessive security agencies were deployed in the conduct of the run-off election in only five Polling Units in Kaura Namoda South State Constituency.
“NEC declares that this action by the APC is a confirmation of the APC’s desire to turn our country into a totalitarian One-Party State which is a clear and present danger to democracy and the corporate existence of our country.
“NEC reassures Nigerians of PDP’s commitment to Democracy and the defense of the interest and well-being of all citizens as we work hard to further reposition our Party to regain power in 2027.”
Politics
Why APC Candidates Contested 2023 LG Election Despite Intimidation — State Chairman
Published
4 days agoon
August 25, 2025By
Editor
The Edo State Chairman
of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Jarret Tenebe, has explained why his party did not boycott the 2023 local government council election in the state despite intimidation and obvious efforts to compromise the exercise by the then government.
He said the party allowed its candidates to contest the local government election in order to gather momentum for the governorship election which was some months away as at then.
Tenebe spoke on Monday when he received the chairmanship candidates of the APC in that election at the party secretariat, Benin City, where he assured them that their labour would not be in vain.
He commended them for their determination, confidence and belief in the party despite being in an opposition at that time contesting against an incumbent government led by former governor Godwin Obaseki.
READ ALSO: Why Peter Obi Must Get Security Clearance Before Coming To Edo — APC Chair, Tenebe
Tenebe said “People never believed that APC should contest that election but I believed that we should enable us to gather momentum for the governorship election which was coming then.
“Consultations began with party leaders and we all later agreed that the party should contest that election which was keenly contested.
“The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) under Godwin Obaseki wrote the results of that election.
“You people did your best in the election and campaigned vigorously for senator Monday Okpebholo to win the governorship election in the state.
READ ALSO:Opposition Will Collapse In Edo Before 2027, Says Okpebholo
“You work hard to ensure APC win the governorship election as that is the only way your stolen mandate will be returned.
“The party will stand with you and not allow your labour to be in vain. The party will not allow you to work alone as the party will work with you. The governor is very much aware of your support”.
Speaking on behalf of the candidates, Enahoro Aikpokpo said they contested at a very difficult time to keep the party alive despite the intimidation and challenges they faced.
He called on the party to consider them and give them the right of first refusal as they are interested in the forthcoming local government election in the states.
- Edo Sports Commission Boss Celebrates Okpehbolo On Birthday
- Oba Of Benin Suspends Palace Chiefs
- Lawyers Fault EFCC Statement, Say It’s Misleading
- Tricycle Riders Sentenced To Five Years Over WhatsApp Group Mobilising Protest Against Nigerian Gov
- Ebonyi Raises Minimum Wage From N70,000 To N90,000
- Trump Administration Proposes New Rule Limiting Nigerians, Others
- Police Arrest Ex-Soldier, Four Others Over Armed Robbery, Kidnapping In Anambra
- Police Arrest Ex-Soldier, Four Others Over Armed Robbery, Kidnapping In Anambra
- Enugu Vigilantes Beat Young Man To Death Over Alleged Stealing Of Woman’s Clothes
- BREAKING: Former Customs Comptroller-General, Ahmed Aliyu Mustapha, Is Dead
Trending
- News5 days ago
DSS Issues Warning, Arrests Man For Circulating Fake Recruitment Materials
- Politics4 days ago
[BREAKING] Edo: APC Suspends Ex-senatorial Aspirant Of Party
- Politics5 days ago
2027: You Will Lose 80% Of Northern Muslim Votes If…, APC Forum Warns Tinubu
- News3 days ago
NAFDAC Warns Of Fake Postinor-2 In Circulation
- Politics5 days ago
Primate Ayodele Releases Fresh Prophecies On FIRS, FAAN, Others
- Headline4 days ago
US Comedian Reggie Carroll Shot Dead In Mississippi
- Metro4 days ago
UNIZIK Suspends Doctors, Nurses, Security Personnel Over 100-level Student’s Death
- News5 days ago
‘Na Only People You Gave Work Love You,’ Singer Speed Darlington Tells Tinubu
- Headline4 days ago
US Defends New Social Media Vetting For Nigerian Visa Applicants
- Politics3 days ago
PDP Zones 2027 Presidential Ticket To South