A middle aged man believed to be in his late fifties and identified as Kayode Akerele popularly called Americana was reportedly burnt to death in a midnight inferno that gutted his residence in Igarra on Monday which also houses the Akoko-Edo local government area secretariat of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
The timely intervention of neighbours was said to have saved the front-end of the building housing the PDP secretariat from being burnt.
A member of the family told newsmen that the fire was as a result of a candle the deceased put on in his room and slept off.
He said: “A neighbour said he saw him buy a candle and went into his room. He lit the candle and slept-off, the candle burnt into the rug and then inflamed the ceiling and in the process the ceiling collapsed on him. He must have been in a deep sleep as he was suffocated and burnt to death.
“To avoid prying eyes and persons who wanted to immediately start posting his pictures on social media, the family immediately decided to bury him immediately so family members who were around mobilised immediately and ensured he was buried. He was among those who graduated into the Igarra community elders council in 2018.”