News
Oyo Unveils Committee For Alaafin’s Coronation

The Oyo State Government, on Monday, unveiled the committee set up for the coronation of the Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Abimbola Owoade.
A statement issued on Monday from the office of the Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Prince Dotun Oyelade, said that the inaugural meeting of the committee was presided over by the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Matters, Ademola Ojo.
The committee members comprises four members of the Oyo State cabinet, including the Commissioner for Budget and Economic Planning, Prof Musibau Babatunde; the Commissioner for Culture and Tourism, Dr Wasiu Olatunbosun; Ojo and Oyelade.
Other members are three House of Assembly members from Oyo Constituency, including Gbenga Oyekola from Atiba State Constituency; Rahman Olorunpoto from Oyo East/Oyo West Constituency and Oladeji Oparinde from Afijio Constituency.
According to the commissioner, Akeem Olukitibi the Chairman of Oyo West Local Government; Wahab Adetunji the Chairman Atiba Local Government; Sola Oluokun the Chairman of Oyo East Local Government and Olufemi Aikomo the Chairman of Afijio Local Government are also members.
READ ALSO: From Oyo To Canada: Owoade’s Journey To Alaafin’s Throne
Also, seven family members of the new Alaafin of Oyo, religious leaders and other stakeholders are part of the committee.
According to the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Matters, arrangements have started in earnest to ensure a successful coronation in strict compliance with the tradition of Oyo people.
The commissioner for information recalled that in the past five years, the ‘Seyi Makinde-led administration had crowned 10 kings and 40 baales.
“Governor Seyi Makinde expects everyone involved in the coronation to be diligent and show maximum support for the success of the event,” Oyelade said.
On January 13, 2025, Oba Owoade officially received his appointment letter as the Alaafin-designate from the Oyo State governor following the approval of the governor.
READ ALSO: JUST IN: Oyo Gets New Alaafin
The paper also reported that once officially recognised, the Alaafin-designate, Owoade would begin traditional rites that would lead to his coronation at a date to be announced by the state government.
“The coronation proper will take place in four weeks, but today I will hand over the certificate and staff of office,” Makinde had said during the presentation of certificate to the Alaafin-designate, Oba Owoade.
However, the PUNCH reported that traditional rites leading to the coronation of the new Alaafin of Oyo, had been put on hold.
According to a family source, Oba Owode 1 had to return to Canada shortly after receiving the appointment letter and Staff of Office, to disengage officially from his professional commitments and then wrap up necessary paperwork before taking on his monarchical duties as the Alaafin of Oyo.
The source said: “He (Owoade) is still in Canada. He has to resign from the places he works in Canada and perfect all those papers before returning to Oyo.”
READ ALSO: JUST IN: Why We Are Establishing A Sharia Panel In Oyo — Islamic Group
Owoade’s emergence as the 46th Alaafin of Oyo follows the transition of the late Oba Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi III in April 2022. The late Oba Adeyemi ruled the Oyo Kingdom for 50 years.
The PUNCH had reported on Wednesday, January 29 that the Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Abimbola Owoade I, had ordered the immediate dissolution of an unauthorised coronation committee allegedly set up by a group of individuals without his approval.
The dissolution order was conveyed In a statement titled, “Coronation Committee Setup in Oyo Town—Notice of Cease & Desist”, made available to the PUNCH. Oba Owode 1, had in the statement, cautioned that any committee or event related to his coronation must receive prior approval from his office, and that doing otherwise would be considered illegal.
Meanwhile, according to reports on Monday, February 3, the Oyo State Government has fixed Saturday, April 5 for the coronation of Oba Abimbola Akeem Owoade 1.
News
Why I Returned To Nigeria On Ivorian Jet — Jonathan

Jonathan has explained why he returned to Nigeria aboard an Ivorian aircraft following the recent political unrest in Guinea-Bissau, saying President Bola Tinubu had also prepared to dispatch a jet before Côte d’Ivoire secured an earlier landing permit.
Jonathan, who was in the country as head of the West African Elders Forum Election Observation Mission, spoke in an interview with Symfoni posted on YouTube on Friday, his first public comment since gunfire erupted around key government institutions in Bissau, prompting reports of a possible coup.
He said he felt compelled to speak “to thank Nigerians for the show of empathy and encouragement” after the incident, noting that he was aware of the national anxiety that followed the reports.
“While we were in Bissau and this so-called coup happened, the information we got was that the whole country was agitated, young and old, irrespective of religious or political divides,” he said.
READ ALSO:Guinea-Bissau Coup: FG Gives Update On Ex-President Jonathan
According to him, both President Tinubu and Côte d’Ivoire’s President Alassane Ouattara made arrangements to evacuate him and his delegation from Bissau.
However, the Ivorian team secured landing clearance first due to what he described as stronger regional links.
“And I sincerely appreciate Nigerians, and I want them to hear directly from my mouth to appreciate their concern. And secondly, to thank my president, President Tinubu, and the Ivorian president, President Ouattara.
“Both presidents were to send aircraft to lift us, but somehow you know Côte d’Ivoire is closer to Guinea-Bissau, and there’s always some relationship between the Francophone countries and the Lusophones, who are among the Francophones.
READ ALSO:Guinea-Bissau Coup: FG Gives Update On Ex-President Jonathan
“They were able to penetrate their system to get a a landing permit before Nigeria could do that. So the Ivorian aircraft was already on its way to pick us up,” he said.
He explained that Côte d’Ivoire’s aircraft was already en route when he was informed that the Nigerian jet had received approval to depart.
“So when we learnt that the Nigerian aircraft were about leaving, we asked them not to bother. That is why, if you see the pictures, I was brought by an Ivorian aircraft,” he said.
Jonathan thanked the two West African leaders “and indeed Nigerians, young and old” for their concern during the episode.
“So we thank the two presidents, President Wachara and President Tinubu, and indeed thank Nigerians, young and old, for that,” he said.
News
Guinea-Bissau Military Takeover Is ‘Ceremonial Coup’ – Jonathan

Former President Goodluck Jonathan has insisted that the recent military coup in Guinea-Bissau “was not a coup” and described it as “maybe a ceremonial coup.”
Gunfire had erupted around key government institutions in Bissau on Wednesday as soldiers claimed to have “total control” of the country.
President Umaro Sissoco Embaló also said he was arrested in his office at the presidential palace, sparking panic and prompting the military to impose a curfew, suspend the electoral process, close borders, and detain senior officials, including top military and interior ministry figures.
The Federal Government condemned the development as “a serious threat to democracy and regional stability,” and confirmed that Jonathan, who was in the country as head of the West African Elders Forum Election Observation Mission, was safely evacuated by a special flight alongside members of his delegation.
READ ALSO:Coup In Guinea-Bissau? Soldiers Deployed Near Presidential Palace After Gunfire
In an interview with Symfoni posted on YouTube on Friday, Jonathan said he was compelled to speak to the media to thank Nigerians for their concern during the crisis and to clarify the situation.
“You know, since I left office, I’ve always been scared of talking to the media. But in this particular case, I decided to speak… first and foremost, to thank Nigerians for the show of empathy, the encouragement,” he said.
He explained that during the so-called coup, Guinea-Bissau’s President, Embaló himself announced that he had been arrested before the military made any public declaration.
“I wouldn’t call it a coup. It was not a coup. I would just say, for want of a better word, maybe it was a ceremonial coup. Because for two things: It is the president, President Embaló, who announced the coup. Later, the military men came up to address the world that they were in charge of everywhere.
READ ALSO:Guinea-Bissau Coup: FG Gives Update On Ex-President Jonathan
“Then Embaló had already announced the coup, which is strange. Not only announcing the coup, but Embaló, while the coup took place, was using his phone and addressing media organisations across the world that he had been arrested,” Jonathan said.
The former president expressed disbelief at the manner in which the incident unfolded, comparing it to other military takeovers in West Africa.
“I’m a Nigerian close to 70, and I know how they keep heads of state when a coup takes place. Recently, I was a mediator in Mali. And within that period, we had a military coup.
“The military doesn’t take over governments, and the sitting president that they overthrew would be allowed to be addressing press conferences and announcing that he has been arrested. Why does this happen? Who is fooling whom?” he asked.
READ ALSO:Coup: ECOWAS Suspends Guinea-Bissau
Jonathan also called on ECOWAS and the African Union to ensure the timely announcement of election results, stressing that the military should not interfere with the democratic process.
“Basically, what happened in Guinea-Bissau is quite disturbing to me, who believes in democracy. They have the results because AU and ECOWAS officials were in all the regions when the results were collated. They cannot change those results.
“They should tally all those results and announce them. They cannot force the military out. They must announce and let the world know who won that election. Let the world know who won that election,” he said.
He further recalled his experience overseeing elections in Côte d’Ivoire, emphasising that election outcomes must be respected.
READ ALSO:Burna Boy Kicks Couple Out Of Concert For Sleeping During His Performance [VIDEO]
“A similar thing happened in Côte d’Ivoire when I was the Chair of the Authority of Heads of State and Government of ECOWAS. “When we had elections in Côte d’Ivoire in 2010, Laurent Gbagbo was the sitting president. In the first round, Gbagbo got forty-something per cent of the votes, and Alassane Ouattara got thirty-something per cent of the votes.
“And their law, you must get 50 per cent of the votes plus one, at least. Democracy is about the majority. You must get a simple majority to be the president, so they had to go for a second round.
“When they went for the second round, all those other candidates that lost now supported Ouattara, and Ouattara then got more votes than Gbagbo. And Gbagbo said he was not going, that he won the election, and that Ouattara and somebody who had something could not come and defeat him. But that is their law.
“Then all the observers in the international community said Ouattara won the election. And we in ECOWAS said, well, you are our colleague, but you have to go. If the observers, everybody, say Ouattara won the election, Ouattara must be sworn in as the president of Côte d’Ivoire. I stood my ground as the Chair of the Authority of Heads of State and Government of ECOWAS, and Ouattara was sworn in,” he said.
News
Nigerian Army Promotes 28 Brigadier Generals, 77 Colonels

The Nigerian Army has approved the promotion of 28 Brigadier Generals to the rank of Major General and 77 Colonels to Brigadier General, in a significant reshuffle of its senior leadership.
The decision was announced by the Acting Director of Army Public Relations, Lieutenant Colonel Appolonia Anele, on the Nigerian Army’s X on Friday.
Among those elevated to Major General are Brig Gen O Adegbe of the Defence Intelligence Agency, Brig Gen SM Uba, Director of Defence Information, Brig Gen RE Hedima, Acting Chief of Military Intelligence Army, and Brig Gen RT Utsaha, Deputy Director of Defence Operations.
Others include Brig Gen AM Umar, Commandant of the Warrant Officer Academy, Brig Gen S Sulaiman, Deputy Military Secretary (Army), Brig Gen IO Bassey, Director of Nigerian Army Operations Centre, and Brig Gen CA Ekeator of the Nigerian Army School of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering.
READ ALSO:Army Releases List Of Shortlisted Candidates For SSC Course
Also promoted are Brig Gen SY Yakasai, Acting Director Procurement in the Office of the Chief of Army Staff, Brig Gen WL Nzidee of Army Headquarters Department of Army Logistics, Brig Gen SA Emmanuel of the Nigerian Army Signals, Brig Gen SS Tilawan, Acting Commander Sector 3 Joint Task Force, North East Operation HADIN KAI, Brig Gen MO Agi, Desk Officer Tertiary Education Trust Fund at the Nigerian Defence Academy, and Brig Gen IM Abbas, Commander 34 Brigade.
Brig Gen ZA Saidu was promoted posthumously in recognition of his service.
Promotions from Colonel to Brigadier General include officers serving across key army units and institutions, such as the Nigerian Army Resource Centre, Armed Forces Command and Staff College Jaji, Army Headquarters departments, Special Forces Brigades, and several military hospitals.
In his remarks, Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt Gen Waidi Shaibu, congratulated the officers and their families, urging them to intensify their professional drive and prove that their elevation is well-deserved.
READ ALSO:Chief Of Army Staff, Shaibu Announces Recruitment Of 24,000 Soldiers
He emphasized the need for exemplary leadership, inspiring subordinates through personal conduct, and adopting bold, innovative solutions to address evolving security challenges.
Shaibu further stressed the officers’ sacred duty to uphold their oath of allegiance and maintain absolute loyalty to the Constitution, reinforcing the army’s commitment to defending the territorial integrity of the nation.
The promotions mark a strategic boost to the Nigerian Army’s senior leadership, aiming to strengthen operational efficiency and enhance the military’s response to national security threats.
Metro3 days agoJUST IN: Again, Terrorists Storm Kwara Community, Kidnap Pregnant Woman, 10 Children, Others
News5 days agoBREAKING: South-West Governors Hold Security Meeting In Ibadan
News5 days agoN6trn: Court Orders Tinubu To Publish NDDC Audit Report, Name Indicted Officials
News5 days agoArmy Releases List Of Shortlisted Candidates For SSC Course
News4 days agoJimmy Cliff, Jamaican Reggae Legend, Cultural Icon, Is Dead
Politics5 days agoJUST IN: Atiku Officially Joins ADC, Registers With Party In Adamawa
News3 days agoHow To Access Your Pension Before Retirement
News2 days agoBREAKING: Tinubu Declares Nationwide Security Emergency, Orders Armed Forces To Recruit More Personnel
Headline2 days agoCoup In Guinea-Bissau? Soldiers Deployed Near Presidential Palace After Gunfire
Metro4 days agoBandits Claim Kebbi, Niger Abductions, Vow More Attacks On Soldiers, Politicians [VIDEO]














