News
Protests: NLC To Introduce Detention Allowance For Member
Published
2 years agoon
By
Editor
The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), says it will introduce detention allowance to members arrested during protests.
Mr Joe Ajaero, NLC President, said this on Thursday in Abuja when he led workers on a second-day picketing of the Shaanxi Construction Company building site at the ECOWAS Headquarters.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that the NLC had picketed the Chinese construction company over alleged unfair labour practices and dehumanisation of workers.
The bad working conditions are believed to have led to the death of a driver, Mr Austine Okunbor.
It also alleged that the company engaged the workers on an ad-hoc basis with no conditions of service attached nor any welfare or medical services in place which sparked up peaceful protest by some workers who were arrested.
READ ALSO: INEC Begins 2023 Post-election Review
Ajaero said that the allowance was to show support for members of the union who are harassed and arrested by security personnel during peaceful protests carried out in support of workers maltreated by their employers.
“I am making a pronouncement that henceforth, we are going to introduce detention allowance and this will start from the workers detained for the picketing done by the union yesterday.
“We urge all unions to start immediately because harassment and detention by security personnel is one of the hazards of the job.
“We need to retain this solidarity. It doesn’t matter how much, when a worker is detained because of his or her conviction, there is a need to support the person,” he said.
The NLC president said that the gesture would encourage more members to stand in solidarity with fellow workers who are enslaved and maltreated by employers.
READ ALSO: FAAC Shares N786bn To FG, States, LGs
He told employers to prioritise the welfare of its staff or face mass action by the union, adding that the use of force and threats to intimidate workers would be strongly resisted by the union.
Also, Mr Yakubu Dudu, Head, ECOWAS Unit, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, who came to address the protesting workers, called for peace and calmness.
“I want to assure you that Nigerian workers’ interest will be protected,” he said.
Meanwhile, Mr Emma Ugboaja, NLC General Secretary, has announced that the Chinese company had agreed to the demands by the unions on the safety of workers at the construction site.
It also spelt out compensation for the widow of Austine Okunbor, he added.
READ ALSODSS Raises Alarm Over Planned Attack On Religious, Recreation Centres
He further stated that a committee comprising various stakeholders had been set up to discuss specific details of the agreement and allowances to be paid.
“The challenge we have here has been resolved. All workers will formally resume work tomorrow.
“The unions have also been recognised in this place and the conditions of service that govern workers in the construction industry have been put in place.
“We have signed an agreement with the management and it will implement it because that is the bone of contention,” he said.
NAN also reports that workers who were arrested during the protest have been released.
You may like
JUST IN: NLC Defies Edo Assembly Resolution, Inaugurates Factional Caretaker Committee
Strike: NLC To Shutdown FCT After Tinubu’s Project Inaugurations Labour
[BREAKING] May Day: NLC Demands 65-year Retirement Age For Civil Servants
May Day Shocker: NLC Cancels Celebrations In Rivers, Edo States
Labour Threatens Action If Rivers Emergency Rule Is Not Reversed
NLC, TUC Reject Rivers State Emergency, Call It Assault On Democracy
News
How Becoming Bank Manager At 27 Changed My Life, Tony Elumelu Urges Trust In Africa’s Youths
Published
3 minutes agoon
August 29, 2025By
Editor
Prominent African businessman and philanthropist, Tony Elumelu, has reflected on the defining moment of his early career when he was appointed a bank branch manager at just 27 years old.
In a post shared on his LinkedIn page on Tuesday, Elumelu recounted how his appointment at AllStates Trust Bank changed the trajectory of his life and shaped his passion for empowering young people.
“When I was 27, I was given the opportunity of a lifetime: I became a branch manager at AllStates Trust Bank, a young bank in Nigeria.
“Banking was beginning to change the country, it was the sector to be in, ripe for transformation, ready for disruption, for democratisation.
READ ALSO:EFCC Arraigns Six Katsina Revenue, Bank Workers Over N1.2bn Fraud
“At that time, few believed a 27-year-old could successfully lead a bank branch. But that opportunity changed the entire course of my life.
“It gave me confidence. It gave me a platform. Most importantly, it gave me perspective,” he wrote.
Elumelu, who is the founder of the Tony Elumelu Foundation and chairs Heirs Holdings and United Bank for Africa, noted that his journey began not with financial capital but with trust.
His post continued, “That’s why today, I am passionate about giving young people the same chance I was given. Because I know what’s possible when someone believes in you early.
“This belief is at the heart of everything we do at The Tony Elumelu Foundation. It’s why we invest in young African entrepreneurs – because someone once invested in me.
READ ALSO:EFCC Arraigns Bankers, Accomplices For Alleged N8.5bn Fraud
“My journey didn’t begin with capital. It began with trust. Let’s keep believing in Africa’s youth. They are ready to lead, grow and transform our continent.”
In a follow-up post on X on Friday, the business leader further highlighted three lessons from his experience as a young bank manager.
“Shared recently on my LinkedIn page how I became a bank manager at just 27. I got a lot of questions. One stood out: How could someone so young handle such responsibility?
“Many doubted a young man could lead a bank branch. That chance changed the entire course of my life,” he wrote.
READ ALSO:Sealing Spree: FCTA Sledge Hammer Hits FIRS Office, Bank, Fuel Station, Others
Outlining the lessons from his journey, Elumelu wrote, “Lesson 1: Age is not a barrier. If you can execute, are hungry to learn, and committed to results — you can lead at any age. Leadership is about clarity of vision and that discipline to execute.
“Lesson 2: The most powerful capital is trust. My journey didn’t start with money — it started with trust. Trust was the seed that propelled everything else. Give young people trust, and they will surprise you. I was trusted, I repaid that trust.”
In the third lesson, Elumelu explained why perspective matters in leadership.
He wrote, “Leadership is not about doing everything yourself. It is about empowering, setting direction, and providing clarity. The sooner you learn this, the faster you grow.
READ ALSO:Outrage As Bank Insists Bedridden 96-year-old Woman Must Appear For ID Verification
“That’s why today, I am passionate about giving young people the same chance I was given. Cascading luck. Catalysing opportunity.”
Elumelu said these principles continue to drive his commitment to youth empowerment through his foundation.
“It is the reason we invest in Africa’s youths at the #TonyElumeluFDN, because someone once invested in me,” he wrote.
“My story is proof that when we trust in our youths, they are ready to lead, grow, and transform our continent. Let’s keep believing in Africa’s youths,” he concluded.

Human rights lawyer, Festus Ogun, has filed a lawsuit against Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, at the Federal High Court in Lagos for allegedly violating his fundamental rights by blocking him on his verified X (formerly Twitter) account.
In the suit marked FHC/L/CS/1739/25, which was shared by Ogun on Friday via his facebook page, he said the governor’s decision to block him since 2021 was triggered by his “constructive criticisms” and “demand for accountability” over the October 2020 #EndSARS killings.
“In 2021, I noticed that the Governor blocked me on his official X handle @jidesanwoolu owing to my constructive criticisms of his policies and demand for accountability in respect of the October 2020 #EndSARS Massacre,” Ogun wrote.
According to him, being blocked has deprived him of access to vital information.
READ ALSO:DSS Charges Nine Over Benue, Plateau Massacres
“Blocking me on X has prevented me from accessing public updates and receiving information about policies and governance in Lagos, which constitutes a violation of my right to receive information without interference,” he said.
In his originating summons cited by The PUNCH, the lawyer asked the court to declare the action unconstitutional, arbitrary, and discriminatory.
According to the lawsuit, Ogun said he sought “a declaration that, as a democratically-elected public office holder in Nigeria, the Respondent (@jidesanwoolu)’s blocking of the Applicant (@mrfestusogun), a citizen of Nigeria and resident of Lagos State, on X (formerly ‘Twitter’) is wrongful, unconstitutional, arbitrary and constitutes a gross.”
He further prayed the court to compel Sanwo-Olu to unblock him, issue a public apology, and stop targeting critics online.
READ ALSO:UK Bans Sanex Advert For Calling Black Skin ‘Problematic’, White Skin ‘Superior’
“An order of perpetual injunction restraining the Respondent, his agents, privies or any other person or entity acting through or on his behalf, from further blocking the Applicant on X or any other social media platform,” the suit read.
Ogun, who described himself as “haunted, traumatised and emotionally disturbed,” stressed that the matter went beyond his personal grievance. “This suit is not just about me. I have filed this lawsuit in furtherance of public interest and with the hope that it sets a precedent in our digital rights jurisprudence,” he said.
The lawyer also invited the court to take guidance from a 2019 ruling in the United States.
“I invited the Nigerian court to be persuaded by the decision of the US District Court in Knight First Amendment Institute v Trump where President Trump was found to be in violation of the 1st Amendment when he blocked US citizens for criticising him on Twitter,” he stated.
Ogun argued that intolerance to opposing views undermines democracy. “Intolerance to criticism and accountability is unconstitutional and undemocratic. Nigerian authorities continue to crack down on dissents, critics, journalists, bloggers and vocal citizens on social media using arrests, detention, surveillance, collusion with big techs and outright blocking, as weapons. That narrative must stop,” he warned.

The Director-General of the National Orientation Agency, Mallam Lanre Issa-Onilu, has urged Nigerians to pay close attention to flood early warnings issued by the Nigerian Meteorological Agency, highlighting the increasing risk of flooding across the country.
Addressing the newsmen during a press conference to launch a nationwide enlightenment campaign held on Thursday in Dutse, the Jigawa State capital, the DG, represented by Mr. Williams Dogo, NOA’s National Director of Legal Matters at the headquarters in Abuja, emphasised that poor drainage systems and careless dumping of waste are major causes of devastating floods recently witnessed in states such as Niger, Kogi, Rivers, Anambra, and Bayelsa.
He praised NiMet’s early warning advisories for their “90% accuracy” and stressed the need for Nigerians to heed these warnings diligently to reduce flood impacts.
READ ALSO:NiMet Forecasts Rain, Flash Floods Nationwide
The campaign, spanning all 36 states, the Federal Capital Territory, and 774 local government areas, seeks to engage the public on government policies, flood mitigation, national security awareness, and more.
“We are committed to bringing the government’s programmes closer to the people through physical engagements, town halls, and media.
“Among the government initiatives spotlighted is the Presidential Flood Mitigation directive, which in 2024 allocated N3 billion per state for drainage clearance and relocation efforts to curb such disasters,” the DG’s representative said.
The DG, highlighted that the sensitisation campaign also focuses on raising awareness about government policies such as the Nigerian Education Loan Fund, social safety nets including Conditional Cash Transfer, and youth empowerment through initiatives like the National Youth Investment Fund and the Industrial Training Fund.
READ ALSO:NiMet Forecasts Three-day Thunderstorms, Rain From Wednesday
He therefore emphasised the need for Nigerians to understand and utilise these programmes for personal and national development.
On national security, Issa-Onilu explained that the campaign aims to boost security consciousness by informing communities about current defense strategies, including the deployment of over 15,000 new security personnel, drones, and armoured vehicles to address the country’s security challenges effectively.
Furthermore, the DG stressed the importance of youth and student re-orientation, focusing on discouraging extreme practices that conflict with Nigeria’s core values.
Accordingly, he also underlined the campaign’s effort to promote patriotism by educating citizens on national symbols such as the flag, anthem, naira, and passport.
“NOA’s increased digital presence—including the revamped website and the AI assistant ‘CLHEEAN’—alongside partnerships with numerous media outlets, will ensure that these vital messages reach a wide audience across Nigeria,” he revealed.
READ ALSO:NiMet Predicts Three-day Haziness, Thunderstorms From Tuesday
Mr. Williams Dogo urged Nigerians to actively participate in the campaigns and remain alert to government advisories for their safety and well-being.
Earlier, the Jigawa State Director of the National Orientation Agency, Ahmad Ibrahim, emphasised the urgent need for residents to heed flood early warnings issued by the Nigerian Meteorological Agency, especially amid rising flood risks in the region.
He linked the recent flooding challenges to poor drainage and waste management, urging Jigawa communities to cooperate with government efforts to reduce flood impacts.
The director highlighted the government’s 2024 Presidential Flood Mitigation directive, which allocated N3 billion to each state for drainage clearance and relocation initiatives, underscoring its importance in Jigawa’s flood prevention strategy.
He also connected this development to ongoing nationwide campaigns aimed at raising public awareness on key government policies, national security, and disaster preparedness.
- How Becoming Bank Manager At 27 Changed My Life, Tony Elumelu Urges Trust In Africa’s Youths
- Lawyer Sues Sanwo-Olu For Blocking Him On X
- (no title)
- Iran Has Executed At Least 841 People This Year — UN
- Russia Hits Out At Macron For Calling Putin ‘Ogre’
- Trump Moves To Cut More Foreign Aid, Risking Shutdown
- INEC CVR: CSO Expresses Worry Over Poor Deployment Of Machines, Manpower To LGs In Edo
- Three Killed As Suspected Bandits Ambush Motorists In Kwara
- Suspected Amasiri Warriors Invade Ebonyi Community, Behead Farmer Amid Land Dispute
- DSS Charges Nine Over Benue, Plateau Massacres
Trending
- Politics4 days ago
[BREAKING] Edo: APC Suspends Ex-senatorial Aspirant Of Party
- News4 days ago
NAFDAC Warns Of Fake Postinor-2 In Circulation
- Headline4 days ago
US Comedian Reggie Carroll Shot Dead In Mississippi
- Metro5 days ago
UNIZIK Suspends Doctors, Nurses, Security Personnel Over 100-level Student’s Death
- News1 day ago
JUST IN: Immigration Hikes Passport Fees To N100,000, N200,000
- Headline4 days ago
US Defends New Social Media Vetting For Nigerian Visa Applicants
- Politics4 days ago
PDP Zones 2027 Presidential Ticket To South
- Politics4 days ago
Why APC Candidates Contested 2023 LG Election Despite Intimidation — State Chairman
- Sports4 days ago
Brazil Names Squad Without Neymar, Vinicius For World Cup Qualifiers [FULL LIST]
- Metro5 days ago
Youths Uncover Man Chained By Father For Five Years In Anambra