Connect with us

News

S’ Court Verdict: Bauchi Politicians Spend Sleepless Nights In Mosques

Published

on

Report reaching Info Daily says some politicians and other stakeholders in Bauchi had ‘sleepless nights’ as they await the outcome of Supreme Court verdict on the governorship election, to be delivered on Monday (today)

Our Correspondent monitoring the development reports that for the past one week, supporters and members of Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP) and All Progressives Congress (APC), had been voicing their optimism of emerging victorious.

Advertisement

The level of anxiety, as well as optimism by both sides are being reflected on a daily basis in political programmes aired by radio stations across the state.

READ ALSO: Ahead S’Court Judgment: Maintain Calm, Lawyers Urge Bauchi Residents

Alhaji Uba Nana, Chairman of the APC in the state, told our correspondent that his party had embarked on a prayer session ahead of the Supreme Court verdict.

Advertisement

Nana, who reserved all comments until after the judgement, said the party was hoping for a successful outcome at the apex court.

We are reserving our comments until after the verdict on Monday; we have nothing much to say but I can tell you that we are very prayerful now.

“We are in prayers and hoping for a successful outcome at the Supreme Court on Monday,” Nana said.

Advertisement

Alhaji Yayanuwa Zainabari, Publicity Secretary of PDP in the state, also said that his party had absolute trust in the Supreme Court and believed that justice would not only be done, but would be seen to have been done.

READ ALSO: JUST IN: Pipeline Explosion Rocks Lagos

As it is now, the judiciary is the only hope of upholding the mandate given to Gov. Bala Mohammad by the people of Bauchi State.

Advertisement

“We have trust that the court would do justice in delivering its judgement; we have no fear at all and just as we won the election without rigging, by God’s grace, we will have course to celebrate,” he said.

A member of one of the parties who pleaded anonymity revealed that in an event of their losing at the apex court, he and others had decided to leave Bauchi.

The tension is so palpable and expectations for success, very high; we cannot withstand losing out because the embarrassment will be enormous; we will rather leave in an event of failure at the Supreme Court,” he vowed.

Advertisement

Meanwhile, our correspondent checks revealed that some politicians in the state had resorted to spending their nights in the mosque, praying to God to grant their parties, victory at the apex court.

A prominent politician in Bauchi, who confirmed this development on condition of anonymity, said because of the dicey situation at hand, himself and others were not willing to take chances.

Some of us resolved to leave the comfort of our bedrooms and turn to God for supplications.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Dickson Says His Shoes ‘ll Be Too Big For His Successor, Preaches Patriotism

“We stay overnight in the mosque praying because, as Muslims, we know that All Mighty He often grants requests pleaded for during late night,” he revealed.

It would be recalled the incumbent governor, Bala Mohammed of PDP, had himself told newsmen shortly after his victory at the Appeal Court in Jos, that he could not sleep a day to the Jos verdict.

Advertisement

The governor is now in United Kingdom on medical checkups, according to an earlier statement by his Media Aide, Muktar Gidado.

Also speaking, DSP Kamal Abubakar, the state’s Police Public Relations Officers, assured that the command was on top of the situation as it had taken adequate measures to ensure that there was no break-down of law and order after the verdict.

He said security men in all strategic locations within the state had been placed on the alert, adding that the command had also invited stakeholders of both parties for a dialogue.

Advertisement

He said that members of the two parties had been barred from any form of celebration after the judgement to prevent breakdown of law and order.

Kamal called on the people of the state to accept whatever the judgement would be as the will of God.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Comments

News

100 Civil Servants Die In Jigawa Within One Month

Published

on

By

The Jigawa State and Local Governments Contributory Pension Scheme said 100 civil servants died within one month.

Executive Secretary of the Board scheme, Alhaji Kamilu Aliyu Musa, disclosed this while briefing newsmen on the payment of the retirement and death benefits in his office.

Advertisement

He said the Board has paid N1.215bn to 550 retirees for the month of July, 2022.

Kamilu explained that, the beneficiaries are categorized into four for the payment of their rights.

According to him “the first category include 411 beneficiaries who have retired from the service and were paid over N920,331 million.

Advertisement

“The second category of the beneficiaries are those 100 people that have died while in service and their families received the total amount of N267,329 million”

“The third category of 8 beneficiaries are under the death pension balance and will get N27, 952 million as their entitlement

READ ALSO: BREAKING: APC Presidential Primaries: Jigawa Delegate Dies In Abuja

Advertisement

“While the fourth category of beneficiaries are those who are not in service for up-to five years, the board will refund 8 percent to them amounting to N201,437 thousands as their entitlement.”

The Executive Secretary also reiterated the board’s commitments to pay each retired civil servant his entitlement within one month of his retirement.

He then commended Governor Muhammad Badaru Abubukar for his support to the Board and releasing the Pensioners entitlement in a right time.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

News

INEC Reacts As Hoodlums Burn Razed Its Enugu Office

Published

on

By

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has confirmed that hoodlums burnt down its office at Igboeze North Local Government Area of Enugu State.

The incident occurred on Sunday night when the arsonists stormed the office situated at the council’s headquarters in Ogurute.

Advertisement

Confirming the incident, the Resident Electoral Commissioner in the state, Mr. Emeka Ononamadu, in a statement on Monday, said the arsonists overpowered the security guards, forced their way into the premises, and set the building ablaze.

He said although no casualties were reported, 748 ballot boxes, 240 voting cubicles, office furniture, and equipment were destroyed in spite of the effort of the Enugu State Fire Service deployed from Nsukka.

READ ALSO: JUST IN: Hoodlums Set INEC Office Ablaze In Enugu

Advertisement

Ononamadu added that the Commission is working to ascertain the status of voter registration machines for the ongoing Continuous Voter Registration (CVR) exercise as well as uncollected Permanent Voters Cards (PVCs) locked up in the fireproof cabinet.

”The incident has been reported to the Nigeria Police for investigation and further action.

”The attack, coming in the middle of the voter registration exercise and other preparations for the 2023 General Election, is worrisome. It will be recalled that on 23rd May 2021, our office in the neighbouring Igboeze South Local Government Area was attacked in a similar manner by unknown gunmen.

Advertisement

”This followed earlier attacks on the Udenu Local Government Area office on 13th May 2021 and the State Headquarters in Enugu on 16th May 2021.

”The Commission has since substantially recovered from these attacks and resumed normal activities there, including the VR and collection of
PVCs.

READ ALSO: 2023 Elections: INEC Speaks On Voters Registration In Niger Republic

Advertisement

”The Commission will continue to work with the security agencies and the emergency services to protect our facilities,” the statement added.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Niger Attack: Death Toll Of Security Operatives Rises To 48

Published

on

By

The number of security personnel killed in Niger State by suspected bandits has increased following the discovery of more bodies in the bush.

Sani Kokki, the convener of Concerned Shiroro Youths of Niger State, explained that more bodies of the security operatives were discovered in the bush by the locals.

Advertisement

According to Sani Kokki, “On Saturday evening, the dead body of a mobile policeman was also discovered by a passerby.”

READ ALSO: Pastor Adeboye Clarifies Reports Alleging He Asked Christians To Buy Guns

Recall that a number of soldiers, policemen and civilians were killed after bandits attacked a mining site on Wednesday in Niger State.

Advertisement

He explained that the death toll of the security personnel killed by the bandits had risen to 48.

He alleged that the bandits killed 34 soldiers, eight mobile policemen and six civilians.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending