Metro
Scandal: Convicted Inmate Caught Processing Passport, Visa In Lagos
Published
2 months agoon
By
Editor
The Nigerian Correctional Service has started investigation into the circumstances surrounding the movement of a robbery convict, Haruna Ayo, to a passport office in Lagos for processing of travel documents.
According to The PUNCH, the incident happened on Wednesday, May 19, 2025, when warders from the Kirikiri Maximum Security Custodial Centre, Apapa, moved the inmate to the Nigeria Immigration Service passport office at FESTAC Town under suspicious circumstances.
According to a credible source, Ayo was convicted for armed robbery and sentenced to life imprisonment, which was later reduced to 21 years on appeal and further reviewed downward after some consideration. He was due for release on October 11, 2025.
It was learnt that the inmate was among five convicts selected to do a menial job at the residence of the officer in charge of the custodial centre on the day of the incident.
During the outing, an orderly, who claimed to be acting on the instruction of another superior officer, told the supervising officer to release Ayo to him.
A source disclosed that the inmate was subsequently transported to the passport office.
“However, while waiting to be attended to, the warder escorting him became impatient and said, ‘I need to take him back to the cell’.
“This raised suspicion among immigration officers, who then detained both the inmate and the warder and alerted their superiors,” the source added.
The PUNCH learnt that the NIS escalated the matter to the Lagos headquarters of the NCS, Alagbon.
Two officers were reportedly suspended over the incident.
The source identified one of the affected officers as one Femi.
“I think the real culprits are not being punished. It’s a system and many people are involved,” the source said.
READ ALSO:Heineken Withdraws Staff As Armed Rebels Seize Facilities In Eastern DR Congo
Another source explained that the convict had been using medical pretences to process the passport and visa.
She said, “What happened was that this particular inmate, a convict, claimed he had a health problem, which necessitated his visit to a hospital in that neighbourhood. However, during the process, he started processing his passport and visa documents by proxy.
“The whole thing started last year and he seemed to be progressing with the passport and visa applications until the correctional service started probing the Bobrisky case (Idris Okuneye). The convict’s case was not known that time. Apparently, he was among those enjoying special treatments in the maximum prison.
“After the suspension of top officers, things changed as new officers took over. Security was tightened and people who enjoyed certain privileges had those things withdrawn.
“This particular convict then started protesting and threatening blackmail. His conduct led to investigations. A search was conducted and it was discovered he had been processing the travel documents. It is suspected that the hospital where he claimed to be receiving treatment was also involved in the compromise. The prison authorities discovered that three medical evaluations had already cleared him that he was medically fit. Whereas he was using that to do all manner of things.”
Another source said the matter was causing a serious storm at the custodial centre.
“The question remains, how will a convict be processing passport and visa? Was he planning to escape? It’s a big mess,” the source said.
This latest revelation adds to the long list of corrupt practices in the country’s correctional service.
In the past, some warders were accused of extorting money from inmates, selling donated items and giving VIP treatments in exchange for bribes.
In 2024, the correctional service was embroiled in a mess after the Baale of Kirikiri, Babalola Shabi, accused prison officials of collecting N35m to give Bobrisky special treatment during his sentence.
READ ALSO:Court Remands Refinery MD In Kuje Correctional Centre Over Alleged $35m Fraud
A leaked voice note also purported the cross-dresser paid huge sums of money to get special apartment at the prison, which led to the suspension of some senior officers.
Similarly in 2024, officers at the Afikpo Custodial Centre, Ebonyi State, allegedly smuggled an inmate, Ibuchi Eze, out of prison for a private visit to his girlfriend.
The NSC confirmed the latest incident, adding that investigation was ongoing.
The Service National Public Relations Officer, Abubakar Umar, also confirmed the suspension of an officer.
“The staff member suspected to have committed the act has been suspended, and investigation is ongoing. The suspension is necessary to ensure a smooth process,” Umar stated.
“The Comptroller-General does not take issues of indiscipline or sabotage lightly. This administration, under President Bola Tinubu, places high priority on the welfare of correctional officers, and the CG has made it clear that outstanding performance will be rewarded. However, any officer found engaging in illegal activities will be shown the way out; they are not worthy of wearing the uniform,” he added.
Umar noted that further updates would be made public at the conclusion of the investigation.
Experts decry sleaze
Speaking on the matter, legal experts wondered how a serving inmate could reach the passport application stage without detection or red flags.
They also raised concerns on why inmates were still being used for domestic work in private residences of top officials.
READ ALSO:PDP Chieftains, Remanded In Correctional Centre
Reacting to the incident, a legal practitioner, Tolu Babaleye, described the development as a disgrace to the correctional service system.
“When somebody is in a correctional centre, they are not supposed to go outside the four walls of the facility. The whole idea is for the inmate to reflect, show remorse, and reform. But when that process is undermined and inmates are taken out for pleasure or personal errands, justice is subverted and the essence of the sentence is defeated.
“In some cases, convicted robbers are taken out to commit more crimes, then return to prison to share the proceeds with warders. It’s disgusting. This speaks volumes about the level of decay in the system,” he added.
Similarly, a human rights lawyer, Inibehe Effiong, said, “The essence of incarceration is the restriction of liberty. An inmate cannot be taken out of custody unless by a court order, for judicial proceedings, or if sentenced to community service. Anything outside this is illegal.”
Effiong warned that allowing inmates to leave the facility for personal activities, including sexual engagements, was a direct violation of the law.
“The Correctional Service must hold all officers involved accountable and put mechanisms in place to prevent a recurrence,” he urged.
A former Vice President of the Nigerian Bar Association, Dr Monday Ubani (SAN), also expressed dismay at the incident.
“It reflects a dangerous level of laxity within the correctional service. Inmates should not leave custody unless there is a valid court order or legitimate assignment. Anything contrary is a subversion of the justice system,” he said.
Ubani stressed the need for strict discipline within the Correctional Service.
“If a convicted criminal escapes while being moved illegally, it undermines the entire justice system. The leadership of the correctional service must enforce internal discipline and restore the integrity of the institution. Allowing convicted persons to roam freely reflects poorly on the Ministry of Interior and should not be tolerated,” he said.
(PUNCH)
You may like
Woman Arrested For Allegedly Mixing Chemicals With Spoiled Yam Flour In Lagos
JUST IN: Police Arrest Wanted Lagos Assassin In Ogun, Recover Weapons
32 Convicted For Internet Fraud In Oyo
Parents Arrested After 3-year-old Dies Of Starvation
71-year-old Landlord Arrested For Impregnating Tenant’s Teenage Daughter
Nigerian Man Extradited From Malaysia, Convicted For $6.3m Fraud In US
Metro
Truck Crushes Man Rushing For Jumu’ah Prayers In Rivers
Published
3 hours agoon
August 29, 2025By
Editor
A trailer loaded with goods has crushed a Muslim faithful rushing for Friday prayers to death in Port Harcourt.
According to Vanguard, the tragic incident happened on the ever-busy Nkpolu junction axis of the East-West road, Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of Rivers State, around 2:05 pm.
It was gathered that the victim was crossing the busy road when a black SUV on speed knocked him down and that the truck, which was on high speed, crushed him to death.
READ ALSO:US Struck Iran With B-2 Bombers, Submarine-launched Missiles – Top US General
A source, who witnessed the incident, narrated that the young man was behind some of his Muslim brothers, who were also going for the Friday prayers, when the incident happened.
The source, who gave his name simply as Tunde, said the other worshipers had crossed, but that the victim, who did not observe the traffic very well before entering the road, was knocked down by the vehicle.
READ ALSO:Rivers Staff, Pensioners Audit Sparks Outrage
The source said that when the SUV brought him down, a trailer that was on the speed lane ran over him, dismembering the body beyond recognition.
However, the Muslim faithful who were with him took over the highway in protest until police operatives arrived at the scene.
Meanwhile, the police restored normalcy while the protesting Muslims took the remains for burial.
Metro
Three Killed As Suspected Bandits Ambush Motorists In Kwara
Published
12 hours agoon
August 29, 2025By
Editor
Gunmen suspected to be Fulani bandits have allegedly launched a deadly attack on motorists along the Rore and Aranorin communities in Irepodun Local Government Area of Kwara State, leaving at least three people dead.
The incident, which occurred on Thursday, threw residents and travellers into a state of panic as news of the killings spread across the area.
In a video obtained by SaharaReporters, the victims were seen lying lifeless on the roadside, their bodies partially covered with clothing and leaves by sympathisers who arrived at the scene after the attackers had fled.
Eyewitnesses told SaharaReporters that the armed men, believed to be operating from hideouts in nearby forests, opened fire on the unsuspecting motorists in what appeared to be a coordinated ambush.
READ ALSO:INEC Fixes Voter Registration Resumption Dates For Anambra Election, Nationwide
It remains unclear whether the attackers also abducted any victims during the assault, as details were still emerging as of Friday morning.
The attack is the latest in a growing wave of violence that has gripped Kwara State’s Ifelodun and Irepodun local government areas in recent months.
Communities such as Babanla, Shegbe, Ologomo, Alabe, and Oreke in Ifelodun Local Government have faced repeated attacks, forcing hundreds of residents to flee their ancestral homes.
Many victims have been kidnapped for ransom, while others have been killed in similar raids.
READ ALSO:27 Feared Dead In Kwara Boat Mishap
Residents expressed fears that the violence could escalate further unless urgent security measures are taken.
Some community leaders have called on both the state and federal governments to deploy more security personnel to the affected areas, noting that many villages have been left vulnerable as attacks continue unabated.
As of the time of filing this report, the Kwara State Police Command had yet to release an official statement on the incident.
However, sources indicate that security operatives have been mobilised to the area to prevent further violence and reassure residents.
READ ALSO:Why Portable Was Remanded In Kwara Prison Revealed
On August 24, 2025, SaharaReporters reported that hours after Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq visited Babanla community in Ifelodun Local Government Area to reassure residents of improved security, suspected bandits abducted two people in the area.
The governor visited the area to reassure residents and restore a sense of security amid ongoing fears of banditry and kidnappings.
However, the criminals struck soon after his departure, highlighting the persistent threat and heightening tension in the community.
The incident reportedly threw residents into fresh panic despite earlier promises of tighter security measures.
Metro
Suspected Amasiri Warriors Invade Ebonyi Community, Behead Farmer Amid Land Dispute
Published
12 hours agoon
August 29, 2025By
Editor
Tragedy struck on Tuesday, August 26, at Okporojo Idima, Oso Edda in the Edda Local Government Area of Ebonyi State, as armed warriors from neighbouring Amasiri community reportedly invaded the farmland of one Mr. Dike Nnachi, beheaded him, and took his head away as a trophy.
The attack marks a continuation of violent hostilities in the area, coming barely four months after the April invasion in which at least four people, including a pregnant woman and her 12-year-old son, were brutally killed.
That incident also left property worth millions of naira destroyed.
Residents told reporters that the latest killing has deepened fears across Oso Edda, as locals now question the effectiveness of the state government’s ongoing peace efforts.
READ ALSO:Two Die As Mining Pit Collapses In Ebonyi
The Governor of Ebonyi State, Francis Nwifuru, had, through the Ministry of Border Peace and Conflict Resolution, initiated dialogue between warring communities to stem the tide of violence.
However, Tuesday’s bloodshed is seen as a direct challenge to those peace moves.
Community leaders have called for urgent intervention, warning that unless decisive action is taken, the violence could escalate further, leaving more lives and property in jeopardy.
In April, renewed violence broke out over a longstanding land dispute between Ndukwe community in Amasiri, Afikpo Local Government Area, and Okporojo in Edda Local Government Area of the state.
READ ALSO:Radio Station Suspends GM For Criticising Ebonyi Gov
The hostilities left houses and properties worth millions of naira destroyed, as attackers, reportedly from Amasiri, launched assaults on Okporojo.
The worsening security situation forced many residents of Edda to abandon the Amasiri road, opting instead to travel through Afikpo town due to fear of further attacks.
Although previous administrations attempted to resolve the crisis, including the release of a white paper based on a government committee’s recommendations, implementation has reportedly stalled, allowing the conflict to fester and violence to recur.
- Police Urge Bauchi Residents To Remain Calm Amidst Soldier’s Death In Bauchi
- Truck Crushes Man Rushing For Jumu’ah Prayers In Rivers
- Four Places In The World Without Traffic Lights
- Nigerian Student Wins ‘Top In World’ Cambridge IGCSE English Award
- How Becoming Bank Manager At 27 Changed My Life, Tony Elumelu Urges Trust In Africa’s Youths
- Lawyer Sues Sanwo-Olu For Blocking Him On X
- Heed NiMet’s Flood Early Warning, NOA Urges Nigerians
- Iran Has Executed At Least 841 People This Year — UN
- Russia Hits Out At Macron For Calling Putin ‘Ogre’
- Trump Moves To Cut More Foreign Aid, Risking Shutdown
Trending
- Politics4 days ago
[BREAKING] Edo: APC Suspends Ex-senatorial Aspirant Of Party
- News4 days ago
NAFDAC Warns Of Fake Postinor-2 In Circulation
- Headline4 days ago
US Comedian Reggie Carroll Shot Dead In Mississippi
- News2 days ago
JUST IN: Immigration Hikes Passport Fees To N100,000, N200,000
- Headline4 days ago
US Defends New Social Media Vetting For Nigerian Visa Applicants
- Politics4 days ago
PDP Zones 2027 Presidential Ticket To South
- Politics4 days ago
Why APC Candidates Contested 2023 LG Election Despite Intimidation — State Chairman
- Sports4 days ago
Brazil Names Squad Without Neymar, Vinicius For World Cup Qualifiers [FULL LIST]
- News4 days ago
Things To Know As INEC Begins Physical Voter Registration Monday
- Headline4 days ago
Again, Russia Claims Another Village In Ukraine’s Region