Connect with us

Metro

Tragedy As Man Shot Dead During Fuel Queue Tumult In Lagos

Published

on

The family of a young man, Toheeb Eniasa, has been thrown into mourning after he was shot at a petrol station belonging to the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited at Obalende in the Ikoyi area of Lagos State.

The incident, it was learnt, happened late Wednesday and has left residents in the area in fear.

Advertisement

The PUNCH correspondent, who is currently at the scene of the incident gathered from residents that Eniasa was in the queue to get petrol when the incident happened.

While in the queue, two men, believed to be military officers, attempted to drive into the station to buy petrol even though they were not in the queue to get the product.

This, it was learnt, was met with stiff resistance from people in the queue; many of whom had been waiting for hours.

Advertisement

Several eyewitnesses confirmed that Eniasa spearheaded the argument, telling the men to join the queue like everyone else.

READ ALSO: IPMAN To Shutdown 30,000 Filling Stations Over N200bn Debt

This further degenerated into a fisticuff and the eventual death of the young man after one of the men shot him and fled the scene.

Advertisement

Nigerians have been struggling to buy fuel in the last few days.

The scarcity has led to an increase in transport fares and queues at various filling stations selling the product.

A resident, who gave his name as Mr. Amos Ayo, who said he witnessed the incident, alleged that the officers were from the Department of State Services as they had their branded polo shirts.

Advertisement

Ayo narrated, “I saw them. They are men of the DSS. They came to the scene to buy fuel but refused to join the queue.

“That is what they always do. It was not Toheeb’s turn yet but he confronted them, asking them to join the queue or be polite about the way they went about the purchase.

“One of them was so impatient. He slapped Toheeb and he retaliated with more words. Before we could know it, we heard gunshots and Toheeb fell to the ground.”

Advertisement

READ ALSO: 86-year-old Injured As Fire Guts Building In Kwara

A woman who said she was clearing up her alcoholic bitters stand close to the station but refused to give her name for security reasons, told our correspondent that she heard the gunshot at about 9.30 p.m. and fled the scene.

She said, “I did not even wait to see what was happening. I ran as fast as I could before any stray bullet will hit me. But, I heard from the people who were there that it was two soldiers.

Advertisement

“They are not policemen. One shot the young man and ran away. I learnt they caught one but he still managed to escape eventually.”

Also speaking, a young man who gave his name as Capo told The PUNCH that he knew the deceased.

This place (Obalende) is a very small place. Everybody knows everybody. Toheeb stays in the Dolphin Estate area. He is a Muslim. He is supposed to be buried today but his body has been taken by the police to the morgue for investigation and possibly autopsy,” he said.

Advertisement

Asked whether he was at the scene of the crime, Capo said, “Of course, I was there. I saw it with my own eyes. We were the ones who pursued the men that did the crime but one of them shot his gun in the air and people ran away. That was the way he could escape.

READ ALSO: GMOs: HOMEF Trains Gelegele Farmers, Urges Them To Embrace Agroecology

“One hid under a bus so we set it on fire. He also ran away. We initially thought they were policemen but they are not. I can tell you that for free. Just imagine how they have taken the life of that young man now for nothing.”

Advertisement

Another young man who spoke on condition of anonymity because of his safety also said he was at the scene.

“I was at Obalende. I was coming back from work. I can tell you that the shooter is not a policeman but a DSS officer who came to buy fuel but was stopped by Toheeb and his friends.

“They told him that he must join the queue. The man, from what I learnt, told them that the manager was aware of his coming but Toheeb and some other men refused him entry.

Advertisement

“Some guys in the area broke a bottle and were about to attack the officer during the argument and that was when the shots were fired, and they ran away,” he said.

The man added, “They burnt two vehicles yesterday. I was so scared as I walked home that night because there were no buses. Everyone was scared. Even the long queue dispersed and the station was closed.”

Efforts to reach the branch manager of the station to speak were abortive, as his staff members said he was not around and that no one was authorised to speak on his behalf.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Why I Hate Mohbad More In Death – Naira Marley’s Associate

However, a young staff, whom our correspondent convinced to speak, said military officers, veterans and the aged were given preferential treatment during fuel purchases.

“Whenever there is a scarcity like this, we prioritise military men and the like. That is one thing Nigerians need to know. Our manager was aware they were coming and told us to open the gate for them but the people in the queue were just not cooperative,” he said.

Advertisement

Police confirm shooting

The state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, confirmed the incident.

He said a young man, Toheeb Eniasa, was killed and two vehicles burnt. He, however, said the identity of the shooters was not yet ascertained as investigations were ongoing.

Advertisement

He said, “I can confirm that somebody was shot dead. I can confirm that the body has been deposited in the morgue.

“Two vehicles were burnt. The identity of the shooter is still unknown but investigations are ongoing to unravel that. The deceased’s name is Toheeb Eniasa.”

Reacting to the incident via a text message, DSS spokesman, Peter Afunnaya, denied any of its officers was part of the imbroglio.

Advertisement

He said, “It is not true (that a DSS officer shot Toheeb). Kindly deepen your investigations to uncover the truth. No single DSS staff was involved in the matter.”
PUNCH

Advertisement

Metro

VIDEO: Fire Averted As Fuel Tanker Explodes In Lagos

Published

on

A petroleum tanker carrying Premium Motor Spirit overturned and went up in flames on Sunday at Iyana-Isolo, inward Oshodi, Lagos.

According to The PUNCH, the fire quickly spread to at least four parked trucks in the area, but quick intervention by officials of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority helped prevent a larger disaster.

Advertisement

Traffic was then diverted from Ilasa inward Oshodi as the scene was cordoned off.

Preliminary investigations by LASTMA indicated that the accident was caused by overspeeding, which made the tanker driver lose control of the vehicle.

READ ALSO:Explosion Near Abuja Barracks Causes Panic, One Injured

Advertisement

Confirming the incident in a statement, LASTMA General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, said operatives from adjoining zones were mobilised to support the response, working alongside the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Nigeria Police Force (Aswani, Ilasa, and Mushin Divisions), and the Lagos Neighbourhood Safety Corps.

“No human casualties were recorded, thanks to the swift intervention of LASTMA operatives and other agencies.

“The preservation of life and property is at the core of our operations.

Advertisement

“We remain committed to ensuring a safe and orderly traffic management system across Lagos State,” Bakare-Oki said.

https://x.com/MobilePunch/status/1962199846984585635?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1962199846984585635%7Ctwgr%5E9f5a2850fda3f7144e8f4e6b63ded0550952eec8%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fpunchng.com%2Fvideo-fire-averted-as-fuel-tanker-explodes-in-lagos%2F

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

Drama At Benin Motor Park As Pastor Chase Away Colleague, Claims Exclusive Preaching Rights

Published

on

Drama erupted at Ologbo Park by Agip Filling Station, along Sapele Road, Benin City, when a popular evangelist known as Pastor Evidence threw caution to the wind and chased away a colleague-pastor who came to the park to preach to passengers travelling from Benin to Warri, Delta State.

It is a common practice in most of the motor parks in Benin seeing pastors or better put, evangelists, preaching to passengers who are about embarking on a journey.

Advertisement

These pastors or evangelists thereafter offer prayers to Almighty God for a safe trip on behalf of the passengers, and in return solicit for financial assistance from the passengers for the support of their evangelical work.

READ ALSO: Edo Sports Commission Boss Celebrates Okpehbolo On Birthday

However, this voluntary preaching of the gospel turned something else on Sunday morning at the park as Pastor Evidence, in the full glare of passengers, conductors and passersby, ordered his colleague to leave the park in a loud voice, claiming the exclusive preaching right to the park.

Advertisement

The development angered some of the bus drivers as they came in their number in defence of the pastor.

The incident caused commotion and division amongst the drivers.

While some supported the action of the pastor others condemned him. They accused him of greed and being hostile to a fellow preacher.

Advertisement

A traveller who witnessed the drama criticized Pastor Evidence, saying that his actions exemplify the commercialisation of the gospel.

The passenger who spoke in anonymity said: “This is shameful. A so-called man of God can do this to a fellow pastor. Is it because of the little offering from passengers? His action further speak to the commercialisation of the word of God by fake pastors.”

 

Advertisement

 

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

Anambra Lady, Lover Arrested For Staging Own Kidnap

Published

on

The Anambra State Police Command has arrested two suspects for faking a kidnap and recovered the sum of ₦1.2million, being part of the ransom earlier paid by the supposed kidnapped victim’s family members.

According to a statement released by the spokesman for the command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, on Saturday, the suspects, identified as Nmesoma Nwoye, female, aged 23 years, and Chibuike Ogbu, male, aged 24 years, were arrested after intelligence-led operations uncovered that the supposed victim conspired with Chibuike (her boyfriend) to stage her own abduction.

Advertisement

Ikenga said that the suspects initially demanded ₦15million ransom, and after negotiation, ₦3million was transferred into the victim’s account.

READ ALSO:Police Arrest Ex-Soldier, Four Others Over Armed Robbery, Kidnapping In Anambra

He said following the arrest of the suspects, the Commissioner of Police in the state, CP Ikioye Orutugu, expressed deep concern over the rising cases of moral decadence in the society, adding that the suspects were arrested by police operatives attached to the Rapid Response Squad, Awkuzu.

Advertisement

The statement read, “The suspects identified as Nmesoma Josephine Nwoye, female, aged 23 years, and Chibuike Ogbu, male, aged 24 years, were arrested after intelligence-led operations uncovered that the supposed victim conspired with Chibuike (her boyfriend) to stage her own abduction.

“The operatives also recovered the sum of ₦1,200,000, being part of the ransom earlier paid by the girl’s family members.

“Further information reveals that the suspects demanded ₦15million ransom, and after negotiation, ₦3million was transferred into the victim’s account.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Police Arrest Ex-Soldier, Four Others Over Armed Robbery, Kidnapping In Anambra

Reacting to the development, CP Orutugu described the incident as a reflection of the rising moral decay in the society, where young people are increasingly resorting to criminality for selfish gains.”

According to him, the CP urged parents, guardians, and religious leaders to intensify efforts in inculcating discipline, integrity, and sound values in their children and wards.

Advertisement

The CP also warned youths against engaging in self-destructive ventures, stressing that the long arm of the law will always catch up with criminals, no matter how cleverly disguised their schemes may be,” the statement added.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending