Headline
Why Nigerian-born Adegboyega’s Deportation Was Approved — UK Judges
Published
9 months agoon
By
Editor
New details have emerged on why the United Kingdom immigration upper tribunal approved the deportation of Pastor Tobi Adegboyega, founder of Salvation Proclaimers Anointed Church, commonly known as SPAC Nation.
The 44-year-old pastor, who arrived in the UK on a visitor’s visa in 2005 but did not leave when it expired, had sought to remain in the European country on human rights grounds. He had married a British citizen.
After the Home Office denied his request, he appealed to the first-tier tribunal, which equally turned him down.
Subsequently, he appealed to the upper tribunal on August 15, 2022.
The controversial pastor, through his lawyer, Dele Olawanle, told the tribunal that his church had initiated various intervention programmes to rescue troubled youths on the streets of the UK from gangs and crime.
Adegboyega also argued that his deportation would harm his projects and community influence, which he claimed had been supported and recognised by prominent UK figures, including former Prime Minister Boris Johnson and senior figures within the Metropolitan Police.
He also claimed that he had played an instrumental role in setting up a food bank which had provided 136,000 meals for children, adding that he “intervened in the lives of many hundreds of young people, predominantly from the black communities in London, to lead them away from trouble”.
READ ALSO: Why I Drive Expensive Cars, Wear Designer Clothes, Pastor Tobi Adegboyega Defends Luxury Lifestyle
Adegboyega added that he established a network of safe houses throughout London where he accommodated young people trying to avoid gang conflicts.
But the upper tribunal judges, Bruce and Rastogi, insisted that Adegboyega must return to Nigeria despite his arguments.
In the judgement document obtained by The PUNCH, the court rejected Adegboyega’s appeals, citing his unlawful stay in the UK and exaggeration of his community work claims.
The tribunal ruled that Adegboyega had “grossly inflated” his contributions, describing his claims as “hyperbolic” and unsupported by substantive evidence.
The court noted that the pastor failed to provide corroborative evidence that the UK police endorsed and supported his works.
The court insisted that his work could continue without his presence in the UK and dismissed his marriage to a British citizen as insufficient to counterbalance his immigration violations.
“We do, however, note the absence of corroborative evidence in respect of the most prominent agencies that the appellant (Adegboyega) claims as his supporters.
“There was nothing before us from the Metropolitan Police, Downing Street, the Mayor of London or the Home Office, all institutions which the appellant claims to have enthusiastically endorsed his work,” the court affirmed.
READ ALSO: UK To Deport Popular Nigerian Pastor, Tobi Adegboyega
“For instance, there was nothing at all to support his assertions that his presence in London is needed to ‘calm the nerves of people from ethnic minorities’ following the ‘fascist uprising’ of August 2024, or that his presence is an ‘absolute necessity’ to fighting crime. There was no corroboration for his claim to have visited Downing Street on ‘countless occasions’. These are examples of areas of the appellant’s evidence where we are satisfied that he has sought to grossly inflate his influence.
“When we asked him to describe an average day, the appellant told us that he schedules six church events per day, seven days a week. These can be all over London. He visits as many as 20 congregants per week in their own homes, and is often called upon to spend between 3-4 hours talking on a one-to-one basis to a troubled young person. He also told us about the time that he spends supervising and helping some of the many business ventures, or ‘CIC’s set up with SPAC Nation’s help, and to organising the foodbank. Even allowing for his admission that sometimes this packed itinerary causes him to run late, we find it to be implausible that he has the time to undertake all of this work personally. We consider it far more likely that this work is distributed among the many pastors, congregants and supporters of SPAC Nation.”
I depend solely on my wife
Earlier, Adegboyega told the court that he had always depended on his wife, Mary.
“He states that he lives with his partner, Mary Olubukola Alade, who earns £100,000 per year working for AON. He spends his time working for the church, for which he is unpaid. He is entirely supported by Mary.
“He has a first-class law degree from Nigeria but he has ‘sacrificed’ his legal career to help those who cannot help themselves,” the court heard.
Adegboyega also told the tribunal why he flaunted an extravagant lifestyle.
“For instance, people have pointed to the fact that he wears designer clothing and drives expensive cars. He was adamant that all of his personal possessions have been paid for by Mary. He has never taken a penny from the church. He believes that it is important for him to dress the way that he does because he needs to inspire these young people – they need to understand that there are legitimate ways of making money, for instance through entrepreneurship.”
READ ALSO: RCCG Pastor Arrested Abroad For Greeting ‘Ladies And Gentlemen’ — Adeboye
Known for his flamboyant lifestyle, the self-styled pastor has long been at the centre of controversies involving alleged financial misconduct and a lavish lifestyle that have drawn criticism.
The British Broadcasting Corporation released a documentary detailing how Adegboyega, popularly known as PT among his followers, allegedly defrauded his church members in the guise of helping them create their own businesses.
In the documentary, victims claimed that they were “brainwashed” into believing their financial sacrifices would fund community programmes to rescue troubled youths on the streets of UK from gangs and crime, only to find the money allegedly misappropriated to support the pastor’s lavish lifestyle, including designer wardrobes and luxury cars.
But Pastor Tobi did not face any criminal proceedings neither was he convicted of any crime.
The celebrity pastor threw a lavish birthday party in November. The party was attended by popular Nigerian artistes, including Davido and Kcee.
“Let us just have fun as one family tonight and if I get into trouble like I do most times, my lawyer is there right on my table, so nothing can touch me”, Adegboyega said to the cheering audience.
The cleric, who is usually seen in the company of celebrities displaying an affluent and opulent lifestyle,became enmeshed in a scandal when the UK Charity Commission and High Court investigations revealed financial impropriety involving over £1.87m, leading to the closure of his church in 2022.
READ ALSO: Why Cameroonian Authorities Detained Five Nigerian Pastors – Sources
Responding to the latest ruling on his immigration status on Instagram, Adegboyega dismissed the allegations, insisting that no amount of persecution would bring him down.
He said, “I’m right here at home, no cause for alarm. Naturally, I will dismiss things that have to do with retrogression; every Nigerian should be proud of me. Living in the UK, a city that is well known for pulling people down, I have survived all sorts, so the matter that they are propagating is the smallest matter.
“No panic, I love London city, it is my city and nobody can do anything. Of all the people of colour you know here – pastors and leaders, I have survived everything.
“I’m here, I am at home, nobody should panic for me. I succeeded well in this country despite all challenges and I’m in the league of people you look up to. I have survived that well, nothing has changed, nothing will change.
“I’m here, number one in London City and nothing is going to bring us down.”
Few hours later, another video of Adegboyega surfaced online showing him dancing with others.
He claimed his companies had raised over £1m since the news of his deportation surfaced.
“They have raised over £1m in 24 hours since yesterday’s news. This is a blessing I couldn’t see coming,” he wrote.
Meanwhile, Adegboyega still has an option of appealing the upper tribunal judgement at the Court of Appeal of England and Wales.
According to the UK Home Office, he must file the appeal within 28 days of being given permission to do so by the upper tribunal.
PUNCH
You may like
UK Bars Over 100 Job Roles From Foreign Recruitment To Curb Migration
UK To Bar Criminals From Football Matches, Pubs, Travel Under New Policy
Leader Of UK Christian Group Convicted Of Sexually Abusing Women
UK Bans Sanex Advert For Calling Black Skin ‘Problematic’, White Skin ‘Superior’
Over 60 Face Prosecution In UK For Supporting Banned Pro-Palestine Group
FULL LIST: 13 More Cars Now Eligible For Up To £3,750 UK’s Electric Vehicle Grant
Headline
Nigerian Man Pleads Guilty In US To $405,000 Romance Scam Against American Women
Published
1 day agoon
August 30, 2025By
Editor
A40-year-old Nigerian man, Daniel Chima Inweregbu, has pleaded guilty in the United States to charges of conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud, as well as money laundering, in connection with a romance scam that defrauded American women of more than $405,000.
The United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Louisiana, in a statement on Thursday, said Inweregbu and his co-conspirators ran the scheme between July 2017 and December 2018, using a fake online persona named “Larry Pham” to lure victims on dating sites and social media targeting US citizens.
Acting U.S. Attorney Michael M. Simpson said that Inweregbu, described as a citizen of Lagos, Nigeria, pleaded guilty on August 21, 2025 before United States District Judge Nanette Jolivette Brown to two of the counts pending against him.
The counts which include conspiracy to commit mail fraud, wire fraud, and using an assumed name to commit a mail fraud scheme, Attorney Simpson said were in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Sections 1341, 1342, 1343 and 1349 (Count 1), and conspiracy to commit money laundering, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Sections 1956(a)(1)(B)(i), 1957, and 1956(h) (Count 12). INWEREGBU’s plea stemmed from his role in a lengthy romance scam targeting American citizens.
READ ALSO:My Wife Sleeps In Leggings, Denies Me Sex —Husband
According to court documents, a “romance scam” was a confidence scheme in which the perpetrator feigned romantic intentions towards a victim, gained their affection, and used the victim’s goodwill to commit fraud.
“These fraudulent acts might involve such acts as obtaining access to the victim’s money, bank accounts, credit cards, passports, e-mail accounts, or national identification numbers; convincing the victim to transmit things of value to the perpetrator or his witting or unwitting co-conspirators; or inducing the victim to, unintentionally, commit or participate in the commission of financial fraud against third parties on behalf of the perpetrator,” the statement read.
It added, “Between at least July 1, 2017, and December 16, 2018, Inweregbu, and his co-conspirators, devised and operated a “romance scam” whereby they sought to obtain money and property from multiple American women, including 4 victims, by means of false and fraudulent representations and promises.
“Specifically, Inweregbu and his co-conspirators created profiles on social media and online dating sites using the alias “Larry Pham,” purportedly a middle-aged male, to attract middle-aged female victims.
READ ALSO:US Court Jails Nigerian For Large-scale Hacking, Identify Theft
“The co-conspirators, including Inweregbu, used online messaging platforms and email, to contact victims, introduce themselves, and appeal to victims’ longing for companionship. If the victim responded favorably, Inweregbu and his co-conspirators began to cultivate a romantic relationship that emotionally attached the victims to “Larry Pham.”
“Once the relationship was established, the defendant and his co-conspirators, posing as Larry Pham, requested victims send them money under various scams and ruses to domestic bank accounts they opened and managed. Inweregbu’s scheme resulted in actual and intended losses to the victims of over $405,000.
“Thereafter, Inweregbu and his co-conspirators laundered the funds, by conducting financial transactions using the proceeds of their wire and mail fraud scheme, designed in whole or in part to conceal and disguise the nature, location, source, ownership, and control of the proceeds, by directing the victims’ funds through intermediaries.
READ ALSO:US Court Sentences American To 40 Years For Beheading Gokada Nigeria Founder
“Inweregbu faces up to twenty years in prison, up to three years of supervised release, and up to a fine of $250,000 as to Count 1. He faces up to twenty years in prison, up to three years of supervised release, and up to a fine of $500,000 as to Count 12. He also faces payment of a $100 mandatory special assessment fee per count. Sentencing before Judge Brown has been scheduled for December 4, 2025,” the partly read.
Acting U.S. Attorney Simpson, according to the statement praised the work of the Federal Bureau of Investigation in investigating this matter and expressed appreciation for the great support provided by United States Department of Justice Office of International Affairs and the United States Department of State.
“Assistant United States Attorney Jordan Ginsberg, Chief of the Public Integrity Unit, is in charge of the prosecution,” the statement noted.
Headline
UK Bars Over 100 Job Roles From Foreign Recruitment To Curb Migration
Published
1 day agoon
August 30, 2025By
Editor
The British government has unveiled major immigration reforms, blocking foreign workers from filling more than 100 job categories in a move aimed at reducing net migration.
The Home Office, in a statement posted on X Saturday morning, said the decision was geared towards creating more opportunities for local citizens while restructuring the visa regime.
“Cutting net migration means getting the fundamentals right.
READ ALSO:US Envoy, Minister Address Visa Policy Changes, Urge Compliance
“More than 100 occupations are no longer eligible for overseas recruitment – opening up more jobs for British workers. A fairer, skills-focused system is now taking shape,” the Home Office stated.
This policy marks the latest immigration clampdown under Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer, who assumed office on July 5, 2024, after Labour’s sweeping election win that ended Rishi Sunak’s tenure.
However, the measure has drawn criticism, with opponents warning it could deepen staffing shortages in critical sectors such as healthcare and social services.
The Home Office has not yet published the full list of restricted occupations.
Headline
PM Killed In Israeli Strike, Say Yemen’s Huthis
Published
1 day agoon
August 30, 2025By
Editor
The prime minister of Yemen’s Huthis was killed in an Israeli airstrike along with other officials earlier this week, the Iran-backed rebels announced on Saturday.
Ahmed Ghaleb Nasser Al-Rahawi, who was appointed last year, is the most senior official known to have been killed in a series of Israeli strikes during the war in Gaza.
“We announce the martyrdom of the fighter Ahmed Ghaleb Nasser Al-Rahawi… along with several of his ministerial colleagues, as they were targeted by the treacherous Israeli criminal enemy,” a Huthi statement said.
READ ALSO:Rivers Sole Administrator, Ibas Dismantles Fubara’s Political Structures With Key Appointments
“Others among their companions were injured with moderate to serious wounds and are receiving medical care since Thursday afternoon,” it added.
The Israeli military struck in the area of Sanaa, the Huthi-held capital, on Thursday. The Huthis, claiming solidarity with the Palestinians, have frequently fired missiles and drones at Israel during the Gaza war.
READ ALSO:How Imo Monarch, Cop Suspected Killers Were Arrested — Police
Israeli forces “struck a Huthi terrorist regime military target”, the Israeli military said at the time.
The Huthis have also targeted shipping in the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden, which they claim is linked to Israel during the Gaza war.
The rebel group controls large parts of Yemen, which has been gripped by war since 2014, and is part of Iran’s anti-Israel alliance alongside militant groups across much of the Middle East.
- FULL LIST: APC Sweeps Rivers Elections, Wins 20 Of 23 LGAs
- 12 IDPs Suffer Snake Bites In Benue Camps
- Mob Lynches Woman Over Alleged Blasphemous Utterance In Niger
- Liverpool Vs Arsenal: Gunners Seek 1st EPL Win At Anfield Since 2012
- FG Unveils Revised Curriculum For Basic, Secondary, Technical Education
- Keyamo Warns PDP Against Fielding Jonathan, Obi In 2027
- Over 23,000 People Still Missing In Nigeria — ICRC
- Ex-TVC’s ‘Your View Host,’ Afolabi-Brown, Admits Ignorance In Past Criticism Of Peter Obi
- A’Ibom Govt Reacts As Eno Is Accused Of Deducting Tithe From Workers’ Salaries
- Ex-Tinubu Campaign Coordinator Resigns From APC
Trending
- News4 days ago
JUST IN: Immigration Hikes Passport Fees To N100,000, N200,000
- Politics4 days ago
Edo PDP Knocks Okpebholo Over ₦2.5b Donation To UBTH
- News4 days ago
Firm Wants Attorney-General Investigate Court Ruling On Breach Of Contract
- News1 day ago
JUST IN: Oldest Missionary To Nigeria, Ruth Elton, Is Dead
- News3 days ago
BREAKING: Former Customs Comptroller-General, Ahmed Aliyu Mustapha, Is Dead
- News4 days ago
Ondo Bans Graduation Ceremonies In Primary, Junior Secondary Schools
- News5 days ago
US Court Sentences Osun Monarch To Prison Over $4.2m Fraud
- News3 days ago
Access Holdings Names New GMD/CEO
- Metro4 days ago
Man Stabs Colleague To Death In Lagos Over Money Dispute
- News3 days ago
JUST IN: NLC Defies Edo Assembly Resolution, Inaugurates Factional Caretaker Committee