Politics
Why World Bank Terminates N27b NEWMAP Project In Abia Revealed
Published
4 years agoon
By
Editor
Dr Uchenna Okere, the National President, Abia Professionals Association has revealed how World Bank terminated N27b Newmap project in Abia state under Okezie Ikpeazu administration in 2015.
Okere said that Dr Okezie Ikpeazu with the then economic team headed by Obinna Oriaku went straight to the World Bank country office in Abuja for presentation on the state of poor infrastructure in Aba and Abia state in general.
According to him, Abia was a pariah state as most donor agencies had before then cancelled or withdrawn their support to Abia State because of many reasons which may not be necessary now.
He said the world bank decided to support the state by including Abia State in many of their developmental projects plans which NEWMAP is one of them.
READ ALSO: Cholera: NYSC, BASEPA Conduct Sanitation In 20 LGAs
“After lots of presentations and engagements world Bank through Federal Ministry of Finance and NEWMAP awarded the contract for $56m ( Fifty six million dollars) N27b at then exchange rate to today’s N34b to Heatland/ Setraco Nigeria Ltd for Erosion and flood water management of Porth Harcourt road/ Urratta and Obohia /Ngwa road project.”
“This job entails underground tunneling of flood water from Uratta crisscrossing Obohia / Ngwa road to the Ogbo hill river and construction of Ngwa road and other adjoining roads.”
He stated that the technical aspect of the contract which include the underground tunneling was abandoned by the contractor and the designs of this important project were altered by the contractor in collaboration with some officials of the state government.
“The World Bank and Minstry of Finance rose from their meeting last week with a decision to terminate/ determine this contract that would have solved the perennial flooding problems of Aba because of fraud / greed and incompetence of the state government.”
READ ALSO: Legal Practitioner, One Other Docked For allegedly Forging Oba of Benin Land Approval
The statement added: “The implication is that since last month, as witnessed by residents of Ngwa road, there is no job going on at the site, as World Bank has stopped the work and is currently auditing the project which will determine their next line of action.
“This is another lost opportunity by Abia State government to greed and incompetence from the same government that has been trumpeting sincerity of purpose in their dealings.
“We call on World Bank to kindly re-award this job to a more competent company and for EFCC to immediately commence investigations on how the funds were misappropriated and the officials involved.
“This is also a call on Abia elders to know that such opportunity comes only once”, the statement read.
You may like
World Bank Unveils Project To Upgrade 490 Secondary Schools
World Bank Lists Nigeria Among 39 Nations Facing Rising Poverty, Hunger
Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises To N149trn
Outrage Over World Bank’s Report On Poverty In Nigeria
World Bank Expresses Concern Over Nigeria’s Data, Statistics Quality
FG Seeks Fresh $580m W’Bank Loans
Politics
Wike Gives Update On Rivers Emergency Rule Expires Date
Published
4 hours agoon
August 30, 2025By
Editor
The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, on Saturday said he was optimistic that the state of emergency declared in Rivers State would expire on September 18.
He disclosed this after casting his vote in the ongoing local government election in the state.
Wike noted that the expiration would pave the way for the state House of Assembly to resume its legislative duties.
READ ALSO:He’s Always Leaving, Wike’s Aide Mocks Atiku Over PDP Exit
“As far as we are concerned, this election is peaceful, people are trooping out and at the end of the day the election has been conducted successfully and peacefully.
“I do know that by September 18, the state of emergency will expire and the state assembly will come back to their job and we will have a government at the grassroots level,” Wike said.
The minister said the conditions were right for lifting the state of emergency since both state and local governments now had representation.
READ ALSO:Amaechi: I Will Resign As FCT Minister If… Wike
He added, “The coast is clear for the state of emergency to be lifted, being that the state government has its representative and the local government has its representatives, so we are good to go.”
President Bola Tinubu had earlier imposed emergency rule in Rivers to prevent a political crisis, suspending Governor Siminalayi Fubara, his deputy, and the State House of Assembly for six months.
Politics
APC Mocks Jonathan As ADC Woos Him For 2027 Race
Published
10 hours agoon
August 30, 2025By
Editor
There were reports on Friday that a powerful group within the African Democratic Congress (ADC) is wooing ex-President Goodluck Jonathan for the 2027 presidential race.
A source close to both the former president and the ADC told Saturday Tribune on Friday that the former president is seriously considering running in the coming presidential polls.
The source confirmed that key figures in the ADC were comfortable with having Jonathan as their presidential candidate and had, in fact, reached out to him.
He, however, said the former president was torn between his loyalty to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) “which made him” and the ADC which, he said, had the potential of winning the election if it gets the right candidate.
“Former President Goodluck Jonathan is worried that certain persons with strong links to the Villa may still be in control of the PDP and may mess him up if he seeks the ticket of that party,” the source said.
READ ALSO:ADC: Why INEC Has Not Recognised David Mark, Others
He added that Jonathan’s only issue with the ADC is that “he does not want to contest against Peter Obi because he believes that the Igbo people supported him in 2015 even more than his own Ijaw people.”
While saying emphatically that Jonathan would run except he could not find a platform, the source added that “if he chooses our party (ADC), we will zone the presidency to the South. If he does not come to us, we will have no option than to go to the North because politics is about numbers and winning.”
Jonathan can’t defeat Tinubu —APC
Meanwhile, the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) has said that former President Goodluck Jonathan cannot defeat its candidate, Bola Tinubu, in the presidential election coming up in 2027.
The Lagos State chapter of the party said on Friday that it had observed with keen interest the growing speculations surrounding the possible return of former President Jonathan to the 2027 presidential race, and therefore made the submission.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Jonathan, who lost his re-election bid in 2015 to the late President Muhammadu Buhari, is being persuaded by supporters to seek reelection in 2027 general elections.
READ ALSO:ADC Slams Tinubu Over Mounting Debts, Demands Audit
NAN reported APC’s spokesman in Lagos State, Mr Seye Oladejo, in a statement on Friday as noting that the former president’s political relevance to unseat President Bola Tinubu, remained in doubt.
“While we acknowledge the former president’s role in the peaceful democratic transition of 2015, an act that rightly earned him praise at home and abroad, we must state, in clear terms, that Nigeria has since moved beyond the politics of sentiment, nostalgia, and symbolism.
“The challenges of today and the future require bold, capable, and forward-thinking leadership, not a return to the comfort of a past that was far from perfect.
“Let it be clear: good luck alone is not a governance strategy,” he said.
Oladejo alleged that the Jonathan administration, from 2010 to 2015, left behind a country grappling with severe structural weaknesses, from unchecked corruption to alarming insecurity and economic inertia.
READ ALSO:Oyegun Blames APC For Hunger Starvation, Oyegun Gets ADC Party’s Card
“While some may look back on those years with rose-tinted glasses, we must remind ourselves that nostalgia is not a policy platform.
“Emotion cannot drive economic reform, and sentimentality will not fix power generation, insecurity, youth unemployment, or education sector decay,” the APC chieftain said.
Oladejo said that the party also noted the constitutional and political complications of a potential Jonathan candidacy.
According to him, having completed more than one term in office, any return bid will inevitably trigger legal contention and political instability — distractions Nigeria cannot afford in a time when decisive action is needed across all sectors of national life.
“Moreover, the former president’s political relevance has been complicated by his recent engagements across party lines.
READ ALSO:97 Lawyers Line Up To Defend ADC, Mark, Aregbesola Against APC’s ‘Fake Lawsuit’
“His flirtation with the APC and absence from PDP’s strategic rebuilding efforts raise questions about his loyalty, clarity of vision, and political intentions,” he said.
According to him, the APC remains focused on consolidating progress, implementing reforms, and engaging the Nigerian electorate with fresh ideas and credible candidates who reflect the aspirations of a dynamic, youthful population.
“We believe the future of Nigeria does not lie in recycled leadership but in visionary governance rooted in integrity, innovation, and resilience.
“Former President Jonathan remains a respected elder statesman. His legacy as a peaceful democrat is assured. But legacies are not manifestoes, and nostalgia is not governance.
“We urge Nigerians to reject emotional shortcuts and stay focused on the need for capable, accountable and transformative leadership.
“As 2027 approaches, let us not reach backwards in desperation, but move forward with courage and clarity,” Oladejo said.
Politics
Marafa’s Loyalists Quit APC, Cite Neglect Of Zamfara
Published
1 day agoon
August 29, 2025By
Editor
Supporters of former Zamfara Central Senator, Kabiru Marafa, have announced their resignation from the All Progressives Congress, citing what they described as injustice, marginalisation and deliberate neglect of the state by the ruling party and President Bola Tinubu’s administration.
The group, operating under the aegis of the Senator Kabiru Marafa Consultative Forum, met in Kaduna on Wednesday and Thursday, August 27 and 28, 2025, to deliberate on the worsening political, security and developmental situation in the state.
At the end of the meeting, the forum issued a communique signed by its chairman, Bashir Mafara, secretary Mannir Tsafe, and seven others, formally announcing their exit from the APC.
The communique partly read, “After broad consultations and critical review of the prevailing circumstances, the political structure of Distinguished Senator Kabiru Garba Marafa OFR, CON across the 147 wards in Zamfara State unanimously resolved as follows:
READ ALSO:Ekiti 2026: APC Aspirant Slams Oyebanji For Threatening Party Leaders
“The entire structure with all its supporters hereby formally resigns from the All Progressives Congress in protest against the sustained injustice, mistrust, marginalisation, and deliberate neglect of Zamfara State and its people.
“That we shall, in due course, announce our next political direction, guided by the collective interest of the good people of Zamfara State.”
The group expressed concern over the deteriorating security situation in the state, pointing to official data and community reports on rising kidnappings and killings.
“The Federal Government of Nigeria, under the leadership of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu GCFR, hasn’t been able to address the persistent and senseless kidnappings and killings of innocent citizens in Zamfara State, despite the explicit promises made during the 2023 presidential campaign.
READ ALSO:Police Arrest Pastor, Wife Over Staged Self-kidnap In Ondo
“The situation continues to worsen, leaving communities devastated and hopeless,” they said.
The group claimed that reports indicate that out of the 4,722 people kidnapped over one year in Nigeria in 2024, 1,203 are from Zamfara State, followed by Kaduna State with 629.
It added that the Zamfara Circle Community Initiatives reported that 25 villages suffered attacks in one week after the just concluded by-election, with 145 people kidnapped and 21 killed.
The senator’s loyalists also accused the government of politicising insecurity for electoral gains.
On the alleged marginalisation of Zamfara in political appointments and projects, the communique added, “Despite the fact that Zamfara State was one of only two states in the entire North-West geopolitical zone that delivered victory to President Bola Tinubu during the 2023 presidential election spearheaded by Distinguished Senator Kabiru Garba Marafa OFR, CON as State Coordinator which the President himself categorically acknowledged during his speech shortly after his declaration as the winner of the 2023 election by INEC, the state has been sidelined in all facets of human developments including protection of lives and properties, infrastructural developments as well as fair representation in political appointments.
READ ALSO:APC Disowns Members Calling For State Secretary’s Resignation
“The state was given only a Minister of State, while most states in the Northwest got two slots.
“But more unfair is the allocation given to the Southwest that corners the entire financial sector, with some states getting multiple ministerial slots and countless agencies.
“For example, Lagos state, where President Tinubu lost the election, has enjoyed overwhelming patronage in terms of appointments and developmental projects, underscoring the deliberate marginalisation of Zamfara state, where Mr. President won.”
READ ALSO:Group Demands Edo APC Secretary Resignation Over Alleged Marginalision
The forum concluded by accusing the APC leadership of betraying its founding principles of fairness and justice.
“The above actions and omissions negate the fundamental principles of justice, fairness, equity and accountability upon which the APC was founded.
“Conscience demands that genuine progressives must stand for truth and resist injustice, no matter how uncomfortable,” it said.
- Anambra Lady, Lover Arrested For Staging Own Kidnap
- 35-year-old Man Electrocuted In Ebonyi
- Police Foil Robbery On Sagamu-Benin Expressway, Recover Stolen Tricycle In Ogun
- Nigerian Man Pleads Guilty In US To $405,000 Romance Scam Against American Women
- UK Bars Over 100 Job Roles From Foreign Recruitment To Curb Migration
- Chelsea Vs Barcelona, Arsenal Vs Bayern — UEFA Releases Fixture Date, Time
- Shock As Adeleke Employs Roadside puff-puff Hawker As Govt House Chef
- PM Killed In Israeli Strike, Say Yemen’s Huthis
- Wike Gives Update On Rivers Emergency Rule Expires Date
- Police Arrest Kidnap Kingpin, Others In Benue
Trending
- News5 days ago
NAFDAC Warns Of Fake Postinor-2 In Circulation
- News2 days ago
JUST IN: Immigration Hikes Passport Fees To N100,000, N200,000
- Politics5 days ago
PDP Zones 2027 Presidential Ticket To South
- Sports5 days ago
Brazil Names Squad Without Neymar, Vinicius For World Cup Qualifiers [FULL LIST]
- Sports5 days ago
Enabulele Confident Of Team Edo’s Success At 2025 NYG
- Politics3 days ago
Edo PDP Knocks Okpebholo Over ₦2.5b Donation To UBTH
- News5 days ago
Tinubu Signs Direct Flight, Other Agreements With Brazil
- Sports5 days ago
Sports Commission Boss Commends Team Edo Athletes For Continental Triumph
- News3 days ago
Firm Wants Attorney-General Investigate Court Ruling On Breach Of Contract
- News5 days ago
PHOTOS: Brazil Welcomes Tinubu With Full Military Honours In Brasília