Connect with us

Headline

Yobe Police Arrest Notorious Terrorist Gang Leader

Published

on

The Yobe State Police Command has announced the arrest of a 40-year-old leader of a notorious terrorist gang, Haruna Mohammed.

According to the state Police Public Relations Officer, Dungus Abdulkarim, in a statement shared on Facebook on Monday, Mohammed was apprehended by men of the State Intelligent Department on June 16 in Nangillam village, Tarmuwa Local Government Area.

Advertisement

The statement read, “Haruna Mohammed, a 40-year-old resident of Lantewa Village, Tarmuwa LGA, has been apprehended by the State Intelligent Department (SID).

READ ALSO: JUST IN: Heavy Shooting As Rivers LGA Chair Allegedly Moves To Access Office

“Mohammed, a gang leader, specialises in demanding money and valuables from victims through menacing phone calls, threatening death, or harm.

Advertisement

“The command had been tracking Mohammed for his involvement in terrorising towns, villages, and neighbouring states.

“A victim from Siminti Village, Lantewa, Tarmuwa LG reported that Mohammed demanded N3m or threatened to kill him and his family.

READ ALSO: Buhari Did Everything To Subjugate Igbos, Says Edwin Clark

Advertisement

“In an intensive intelligent operations, on 16th June 2024, at about 1415hrs, detectives from the SID, in a coordinated operation, arrested Mohammed in Nangillam Village, Tarmuwa LGA.

“The suspect confessed to the crime and implicated other syndicate members, who are currently being trailed by the police.”

The police urged communities to report security breaches promptly, assuring that they are committed to stamping out criminal activities in Yobe.

Advertisement

Headline

Trump Moves To Cut More Foreign Aid, Risking Shutdown

Published

on

By

US President Donald Trump has moved to block $5 billion of congressionally-approved foreign aid, the White House said Friday — raising the likelihood of a federal shutdown as Democrats oppose the policy.

The cuts “affect programs of the Department of State and the United States Agency for International Development,” Trump wrote in a letter to the House of Representatives.

Advertisement

The Republican president “will always put AMERICA FIRST,” the White House Office of Management and Budget said on social media, releasing a copy of the letter.

The Trump administration has effectively dismantled USAID, the chief US foreign aid agency, since taking office.

READ ALSO:Russia Hits Ukraine With ‘Massive’ Deadly Overnight Strikes

Advertisement

Founded in 1961 as John F. Kennedy sought to leverage aid to win over the developing world in the Cold War, USAID has been incorporated into the State Department after Secretary of State Marco Rubio slashed 85 percent of its programming.

Trump, after taking office for the second time in January, launched a sweeping campaign to downsize or dismantle swaths of the US government.

Republicans control both chambers of Congress, but need Democrat support in the Senate to pass new spending laws.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Two US Pastors Arrested In $50m Human Trafficking, Fraud Case

Trump, deploying a little-tested legislative tactic, has sought to claw back the spending late in the fiscal year so that Congress may not have time to vote before the funding expires next month.

Democrats have warned that any attempt to reverse funding already approved by Congress would end any negotiations to avoid budgetary paralysis, the so-called shutdown, after September 30.

Advertisement

The United States last averted shutdown, with hours to spare, in March.

Shutdowns are rare but disruptive and costly, as everyday functions like food inspections halt, and parks, monuments and federal buildings shut up shop.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Headline

Trump Administration Proposes New Rule Limiting Nigerians, Others

Published

on

By

The Trump administration has unveiled a proposal that would restrict the length of time international students can remain in the United States for their studies.

According to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the regulation, which is expected to be published on Thursday, would impose a four-year cap on student visas and other categories of temporary admissions.

Advertisement

According to Fox News, the DHS said the proposal is part of efforts to curb “visa abuse” and strengthen the government’s ability to “properly vet and oversee these individuals.”

READ ALSO:Why I Plotted President Trump’s Assassination – 50-yr-old Woman

It added that some students have “taken advantage of U.S. generosity” and become “forever” students by staying enrolled in colleges to prolong their residence.

Advertisement

“For too long, past Administrations have allowed foreign students and other visa holders to remain in the U.S. virtually indefinitely, posing safety risks, costing untold amount of taxpayer dollars, and disadvantaging U.S. citizens,” a DHS spokesperson stated.

This new proposed rule would end that abuse once and for all by limiting the amount of time certain visa holders are allowed to remain in the U.S., easing the burden on the federal government to properly oversee foreign students and their history,” the spokesperson continued.

Currently, F visa holders may stay in the U.S. for the “duration of status,” meaning the period they are enrolled full-time. The new proposal would allow stays for the length of a programme but would not permit them to exceed four years, generally less than the time needed for postgraduate studies.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Trump, Putin Make No Breakthrough On Ukraine Deal, End Summit

Foreign journalists would also be affected. Under the plan, they would receive an initial admission period of 240 days, with the possibility of a single extension for another 240 days, but not longer than their assignment.

The DHS said regular assessments would provide “proper oversight” and help reduce the number of people residing in the U.S. on temporary visas.

Advertisement

But education experts warned the measure could hurt universities financially. International students typically pay higher tuition and have fewer opportunities for scholarships, which contributes significantly to the financial support of American colleges.

It will certainly act as an additional deterrent to international students choosing to study in the United States, to the detriment of American economies, innovation, and global competitiveness,” Fanta Aw, executive director and CEO of NAFSA: Association of International Educators, said in a statement to Politico.

­

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Headline

Russia Hits Ukraine With ‘Massive’ Deadly Overnight Strikes

Published

on

By

Russian forces launched a “massive” attack on Kyiv on Thursday, hitting the Ukrainian capital with strikes that killed at least four people and wounded around 30 others, Ukrainian officials said.

The attack came as Moscow and Kyiv traded blame over an impasse in diplomatic efforts towards a peace deal spearheaded by US President Donald Trump.

Advertisement

AFP journalists in Kyiv witnessed powerful explosions that illuminated the night sky and left behind a column of smoke.

Ukraine’s Interior Minister Igor Klymenko said the strikes killed four people and wounded “about 30 people.”

READ ALSO:Russia Claims More Ukraine Land As Hopes For Summit Fade

Advertisement

Those killed included a 14-year-old girl, while five children aged seven to 17 were among those who sustained “injuries of varying severity,” Tymur Tkachenko, the head of the city’s military administration, said.

Mayor Vitali Klitschko described the strikes as a “massive attack” that caused damage in several districts of the capital.

Tkachenko said Moscow had fired ballistic and cruise missiles as well as Iranian-designed Shahed drones from different directions to “systematically” target residential buildings.

Advertisement

Red tracer bullets sailed through the night sky in an effort to intercept drones above the city centre, an AFP journalist saw. At least one missile appeared to be shot down.

READ ALSO:Again, Russia Claims Another Village In Ukraine’s Region

Around 100 people took refuge in a subway station, with some lying in sleeping bags and others holding their pets.

Advertisement

A five-story building in the Darnytsky district had collapsed, and a shopping mall was hit in the city centre, Klitschko reported.

– Ukrainian attacks on Russia –
Kyiv suffered one of its worst attacks of the over three-year war on July 31, leaving more than 30 people dead including five children.

Ukrainian officials also reported a Russian strike in the southeastern Zaporizhzhia region on Thursday.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Russia, Ukraine Exchange Prisoners Of War, Civilians

Russian authorities said they destroyed over 100 Ukrainian drones overnight. A Ukrainian attack sparked a fire at an oil refinery in the Krasnodar region but caused no casualties, according to local officials.

Russian forces have been slowly but steadily gaining ground in Ukraine in recent months, as diplomatic efforts have accelerated.

Advertisement

Trump held a high-profile summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Alaska this month, followed by a meeting with his Ukrainian counterpart Volodymyr Zelensky and European allies.

But there has been little progress since then.

Before concluding any peace agreement, Ukraine wants security guarantees from the West to deter any future Russian attacks.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Russian Politicians Mock European Leaders After White House, Ukraine Talks

Moscow has cast Kyiv’s demands as unrealistic and has raised particular objection to the notion of stationing Western peacekeeping troops in Ukraine.

Zelensky said on Wednesday that members of his administration would meet with US officials in New York on Friday.

Advertisement

The Ukrainian leader said he saw “very arrogant and negative signals from Moscow regarding the negotiations”, urging extra “pressure” to “force Russia to take real steps”.

AFP

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Exit mobile version