News
Alleged Demolition: Dapo Abiodun, Gbenga Daniel Trade Words
Published
2 years agoon
By
Editor
Former governor of Ogun State, Senator Gbenga Daniel and the Ogun State government, yesterday, disagreed over the demolition of a plaza belonging to the former governor’s wife.
While Senator Daniel described the demolition of his wife’s property in Ijebu Ode as an act of executive recklessness and lawlessness, the state government said the structure contravened the state’s physical planning laws.
Agents of the Ogun state government, on Sunday, demolished the DATKEM plaza in Ijebu Ode belonging to a former first lady of the state, Olufunke Daniel.
Daniel, in a statement by his lawyer, Mr Adeyinka Kotote, SAN, of PAGE Law office, insisted that the state government ignored court papers served on its agents on September 7, asking them to stop all actions on the building.
The statement reads: “This matter began when the Ogun State Planning and Development Authority sealed the building on August 1 without any prior notice.
READ ALSO: INEC Has Broken The Trust Of Nigerians – Osinbajo’s Aide
“Interestingly, a quit notice was only served on August 31, by the same Planning and Development Authority asking the owner to vacate the premises within three days.
“DATKEM applied for unsealing and regularisation of the building on August 2 and paid the mandatory fee of N500,000 to the Ogun state government. We have evidence of this payment.
“However, we were shocked and astonished that the Ogun state government ignored the ongoing legal process and went ahead to demolish the complex in the early hours of Sunday. We want to believe the State Attorney General’s advice was ignored on this matter.
“Our clients, as law-abiding citizens of Ogun state, will continue to seek redress in the courts. Even when our clients have suffered unimaginable and huge losses as a result of this illegal demolition, we will not relent in pursuing justice in the courts.”
It’s an illegal structure —Ogun govt
Reacting to the development, the State government in a statement by the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development, Olayiwola Abiodun said the structure violated the building codes of the state with numerous defects.
READ ALSO: PDP Chieftain Lambasts Dapo Abiodun, Says He Lacks Intellectual Capacity To Govern Ogun
Abiodun said several efforts made by the government to halt further development on the site were ignored by the developers.
According to the statement, DATKEM Enterprises Limited applied to an office building, located along Ibadan Road, Ijebu Ode in 2009 with registration number CB/05/299/2009.
The statement reads: “The proposal was for five floors with an airspace of 3 metres at the right, 5 metres at the left, 5 metres at the rear and a setback of 32.5516 metres to the middle of Ijebu Ode/Ibadan road, Ijebu-Ode.
“The Zonal Town Planning Office observed during routine monitoring that the construction on site did not conform to the plan granted as there was a deviation from the airspaces and setback.
“In addition, the building had been modified and enlarged with an additional storey building at the back, thereby, becoming over-density.
“Given the above, the following actions were taken: “Contravention notice with Serial No. 0106983 was served on 24th May 2022. Stop Work Order with Serial No. 000623 was served on 24th May 2022.
READ ALSO: Bandits Destroy Kaduna Parish, Burn Catholic Seminarian Alive
“Another Stop Work Order with Serial No. 001065 was served on 22nd July 2022 when the first notice was ignored.
“Demolition Notice with Serial No. 0007549 was served on 11th October 2022. Notice to seal with Serial No. 000815 was served on 4th October 2022.
“This prompted the re-sealing of the site on August 1, 2023. However, the sealing did not stop the developer from further construction as work continued on the site.
“However, the developer wrote an appeal for unsealing, which was considered to evacuate the belongings on the premises. “Thereafter, a quit notice with Serial No. 0030750 was served on 31st August, 2023.
“Given the above, since the developer had remained recalcitrant, the Zonal Town Planning Office’s recommendation for the demolition of the office building was upheld.”
VANGUARD
You may like
Court Stops Ogun Govt From Demolishing Gbenga Daniel’s Residence, Hotel
NSF: Ogun Gov Cheers Athletes, Pledges Millions For Medals
Video: Anthony Joshua Meets, Prostrates To Greet Ogun Governor Abiodun
BREAKING: Ogun LG Chairman Who Accused Gov Abiodun Of Diverting Funds Suspended
Ogun Tribunal Admits 150,656 Ballot Papers, PDP Witness’ Video
WAEC Does Not Keep Certificate Of Candidates, Official Tells Ogun Tribunal
News
INEC CVR: CSO Expresses Worry Over Poor Deployment Of Machines, Manpower To LGs In Edo
Published
7 hours agoon
August 29, 2025By
Editor
By Joseph Ebi Kanjo
Edo Civil Society Organisations (EDOCSO) has expressed worry over the poor deployment of capturing machines and manpower to Igueben Local Government Area of the state by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in the ongoing Ongoing Continuous Voters Registration (CVR).
The Coordinator, EDOCSO, Igueben Study Centre, Leftist Enabulele Larry, and Secretary, Leftist Mark Akande expressed the CSO sentiment when the duo visited the INEC headquarters in Igueben where the CBR in the local government is taking place.
In a statement made available to INFO DAILY on Friday, the leadership of EDOCSO, Igueben Study Centre condemned the “use of only two capturing devices in a local government with over 69, 396 in population.”
READ ALSO:Things To Know As INEC Begins Physical Voter Registration Monday
The duo noted in the statement that their findings at the INEC headquarters revealed two capturing machines were deployed to each local government across the 18 local government areas of the state.
The civil society members said INEC excuse of deploying two capturing machines to each local government was not germane enough because many do not have a computer or android phone to do the online registration INEC gave as an excuse.
“The question here is, what is the percentage of our people mostly the aged individuals, that have access to Android mobile and other internet gadgets in Edo state?
READ ALSO: ADC: Why INEC Has Not Recognised David Mark, Others
“How many people can afford internet data to enable them have access internet services in Edo state under the current excruciating economic pains by the people?
“How many of the Edo people can even manipulate the Android mobile phone to the extent of navigating the internet hurdles to undertake the job is INEC? If INEC is not ready for the job, they should tell Nigerians.
“If citizens are now advised to individually undertake the statutory job of INEC, of what purpose does the commission serve to the people? etc,” they said.
As at when filing this report, INFO DAILY was yet to get a reply from the message sent to the INEC in Edo for reaction.
News
Edo Sports Commission Boss Celebrates Okpehbolo On Birthday
Published
13 hours agoon
August 29, 2025By
Editor
The Executive Chairman of the Edo State Sports Commission, Hon. Amadin Desmond Enabulele, has felicated with Governor Monday Okpebholo, on the occasion of his birthday.
In a statement issued on Friday by his Media Officer, Edoko Wilson Edoko, Enabulele Okpebholo as a visionary leader whose dedication to the growth and development of the state has continued to inspire confidence and admiration across all sectors, especially sports.
Enabulele, who highlighted the governor’s unwavering commitment to youth empowerment through sports development, noted that under his leadership, Edo State has witnessed significant strides in grassroots sporting initiatives and infrastructure.
READ ALSO: Enabulele Confident Of Team Edo’s Success At 2025 NYG
“His Excellency, Senator Monday Okpebholo, is not just a political leader but a beacon of hope for the younger generation.
“His passion for excellence and inclusive governance is evident in the way he has continued to support policies that uplift our youths and promote sporting excellence,” the statement read.
The Executive Chairman prayed for long life, good health, and continued wisdom for the governor as he steers the affairs of the state towards greater prosperity.
“On behalf of the entire Edo State Sports Commission, I extend our warmest birthday wishes to His Excellency at 55. May this new chapter of his life be filled with more accomplishments and divine grace,” he added.

The Oba of Benin, Ewuare II, has suspended two of his chiefs for falling for dereliction of duties.
This was contained in a statement signed by the Secretary to the Benin Traditional Council (BTC), Frank Irabor and made available to journalists in Benin City.
He said their suspension was as a result of their long absence from the palace, resulting in their failure to carry out their palace responsibilities.
The suspended persons are: Chief John Igiehon, the Izuwako of Benin and chief Aimiukpomonyako Oghogho (Ebengho), the Oyenmwensoba of Benin.
READ ALSO: Oba Of Benin Suspends 67 Dukes
“The under-mentioned two (2) chiefs have been suspended from the Palace of the Oba of Benin.
“This is as a result of their long absence from the Palace, resulting in their failure to carry out their Palace responsibilities.
“The public is advised to be wary of unscrupulous chiefs that are no longer functioning in the Palace. His Royal Majesty has approved their _ Suspension and directed the public be duly informed.
“The names of the chiefs are: – ; 1. CHIEF JOHN IGIEHON, THE IZUWAKO OF BENIN and, _ 2 CHIEF AIMIUKPOMONYAKO OGHOGHO (EBENGHO), THE OYENMWENSOBA OF BENIN”, the statement said.
- INEC CVR: CSO Expresses Worry Over Poor Deployment Of Machines, Manpower To LGs In Edo
- Three Killed As Suspected Bandits Ambush Motorists In Kwara
- Suspected Amasiri Warriors Invade Ebonyi Community, Behead Farmer Amid Land Dispute
- DSS Charges Nine Over Benue, Plateau Massacres
- Marafa’s Loyalists Quit APC, Cite Neglect Of Zamfara
- Why I’d Choose Tinubu Over Obi – Adeyanju
- Edo Sports Commission Boss Celebrates Okpehbolo On Birthday
- Oba Of Benin Suspends Palace Chiefs
- Lawyers Fault EFCC Statement, Say It’s Misleading
- Tricycle Riders Sentenced To Five Years Over WhatsApp Group Mobilising Protest Against Nigerian Gov
Trending
- Politics4 days ago
[BREAKING] Edo: APC Suspends Ex-senatorial Aspirant Of Party
- News4 days ago
NAFDAC Warns Of Fake Postinor-2 In Circulation
- Headline4 days ago
US Comedian Reggie Carroll Shot Dead In Mississippi
- Metro5 days ago
UNIZIK Suspends Doctors, Nurses, Security Personnel Over 100-level Student’s Death
- News1 day ago
JUST IN: Immigration Hikes Passport Fees To N100,000, N200,000
- Headline4 days ago
US Defends New Social Media Vetting For Nigerian Visa Applicants
- Politics4 days ago
PDP Zones 2027 Presidential Ticket To South
- Politics4 days ago
Why APC Candidates Contested 2023 LG Election Despite Intimidation — State Chairman
- Sports4 days ago
Brazil Names Squad Without Neymar, Vinicius For World Cup Qualifiers [FULL LIST]
- Metro5 days ago
Youths Uncover Man Chained By Father For Five Years In Anambra