Confusion As SARS Kills Seven Police Robbery Suspects In Delta
Confusion hit the police in Bayelsa and Delta states following the killing of seven policemen in Ughelli, Delta State allegedly involved in armed robbery.
It was gathered that a police sergeant attached to the Bayelsa State command’s armoury was also arrested and transfered to police headquarters, Abuja for allegedly supplying guns to the police robbery suspects.
The seven policemen were reportedly shot dead during a gun battle with operatives of the Delta State Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).
READ ALSO: COVID – 19 : Expert Recommends Local Vaccines To Augment WHO’s Efforts
Though the Bayelsa State Command refused to make official statement on the development, sources within the police confirmed that the incident occurred at night on Wednesday last week.
The Bayelsa State Commissioner of Police, Nkereuwem Akpan, reportedly led a team of officers to the Delta State Command to retrieve the bodies of the seven policemen.
A source said the ranks of the dead policemen ranged from sergent to corpral.
“The reported killing of the seven policemen in the shootout in Delta State is causing uproar at the command,” the source said.
READ ALSO: Again, Court Adjourns Suit Challenging Waiver Granted To Ize-Iyamu
“They were reported to have been engaging in armed robbery when they engaged the Delta Special Anti-robbery Squad in a shootout. They were all killed.”
The Commissioner of Police, Delta State, Hafiz Inuwa, said he was not aware of the development.
But another source from the Bayelsa police command, who spoke anonymously, confirmed the development, saying the incident happened at Ughelli.
READ ALSO: ‘I Have No Plan Of Resigning From APC’, Says Edo Speaker
He said, “What you said is true. But I dont want to speak further. Dont also rule out a case of mistaken identity. There was also some criminal motives attributed to the policemen. They were found where they were not supposed to be. They were carrying guns and at the same time in mufti.”
Evans Re-arraigned For Kidnapping, Attempted Murder
Convicted kidnap kingpin, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, popularly known as Evans, has been re-arraigned over the alleged kidnapping and attempted murder before a Lagos State High Court sitting in the Tafawa Balewa Square area.
Evans’ re-arraignment on Thursday follows the transfer of the case file from Justice Adedayo Akintoye, who is the initial trial judge.
Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo of the Ikeja Special Offences Court in September 2022 sentenced Evans and his co-defendant, Victor Aduba, to 21 years imprisonment for kidnapping one Sylvanus Hafia.
READ ALSO: Evans Sentenced To 21-year Imprisonment For Kidnapping
They were convicted of conspiring and kidnapping Hafia around 5:30 pm on June 23, 2014, at Kara Street, Amuwo Odofin, in Lagos and to have captured and detained Hafia and demanded a ransom of $2m.
However, the matter started afresh before Justice Ibironke Harrison, where Evans was again arraigned alongside Joseph Emeka, Victor Aduba and Okapara Linus.
The four are facing five counts bordering on conspiracy, kidnapping, and attempted murder, preferred against them by Lagos State.
Evans and his co-defendants were arraigned for allegedly kidnapping Chief James Uduji and collecting a ransom of $1.2m dollars.
They, and others at large, allegedly committed the offence on September 7, 2015 at 7th Avenue, Festac Town, Lagos.
The defendants were also accused of attempted murder by allegedly firing shots at Uduji and Donatus Nwoye which hit him on the hand and again shot one Mr Jereome Okezie on the hand and head.
READ ALSO: Billionaire Kidnapper: Court Sentences Evans Co-defendant To Five Years
According to the prosecution, the offences committed contravened Sections 411, 271 (3) and 230 (A), of the criminal laws of Lagos State 2015.
The defendants pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Justice Harrison subsequently adjourned that matter till May 3 and 4, 2023 for trial.
Prof Facing N1.4bn Fraud Case Gets N1m Bail
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has arraigned a Professor, Uche Edwin, before the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on charges of alleged N1.4 billion fraud.
This was disclosed in a statement signed by the EFCC’s Spokesperson, Wilson Uwujaren on Thursday.
Edwin was arraigned alongside his companies, Visionary Integrated Consulting Limited, NEMAD Associates Limited and Revamp Global Enterprise, on an 11-count charge bordering on conspiracy, retention and conversion of funds to the tune of N1, 473,367,046.04 belonging to Maize Growers, Processors and Marketers Association of Nigeria.
He, however, pleaded “not guilty” to the 11-count charge.
READ ALSO: Japanese Billionaire Masatoshi Ito Is Dead
One of the counts reads: “ That you, Professor Uche Chigozie Edwin, Visionary Integrated Consulting Limited, Nemad Associates Limited and Revamp Global Enterprise, sometime in 2021 in Lagos, within the jurisdiction of this Court , conspired amongst yourselves to use the sum of N1, 473,367,046.04, property of the Maize Growers, Processors and Marketers Association of Nigeria, which sum you reasonably ought to have known forms part of the proceeds of your unlawful activity to wit: fraud; and you thereby committed an offence , contrary to Section 18(a) of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) (Amendment) Act, 2012 and punishable under Section 15(3) of the same Act.”
The prosecution counsel, C.C. Okezie, asked the court for a trial date and also asked that the defendant be remanded.
The defence counsel, Mobolaji Akintunde, in response, made an application for bail on behalf of his client.
He asked the court to admit his client to bail and also implored the court to allow his client to be remanded in EFCC custody pending when he would be able to meet the bail conditions the court might impose.
In a short ruling, the judge, Nicholas Oweibo, allowed bail to the defendant in the sum of N1 million and two sureties in like sum.
READ ALSO: Man Defiles 16-year-old Girl, Remanded
The sureties, according to the court, must possess landed property within the jurisdiction of the court, show a tax clearance certificate of three months as well as their passport photographs.
The defendant was also ordered to deposit his passport with the court.
The judge adjourned the trial till 27 June for the commencement of the trial.
JUST IN: Court Jails Ex-Imo Commissioner
A former Commissioner for Transport in Imo State, Laz Anyanwu, was on Tuesday sentenced to three years imprisonment.
Anyanwu, who served during the administration of ex-governor Rochas Okorocha, was sentenced after he was found guilty of the charges preferred against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.
The judge, K. A Lewanya, while sentencing the former commissioner said that the jail term would serve concurrently.
READ ALSO: Man Jailed After Sending Romance Scam Proceeds To Nigerian Family From US
The judge said that the convict was found guilty of fraud , looting of public funds and stealing.
The justice said that the former commissioner was found guilty of diverting N180 million of state funds into a private company account where he was a major shareholder and sole signatory when he superintended and doubled as commissioner for transport and the chairman interim committee of the Imo State transport company, ITC, which is against section 12 and 19 of the ICPC Act 2020.
The judge held that Anyanwu by that action had violated the Public Procurement Act, abused his office and used his office to gain undue advantage in his dealings during his tenure as the commissioner for transport and the chairman interim committee of the Imo state transport company, ITC.
The judge said that the EFCC lawyer, Micheal Ani, was able to proof beyond reasonable doubt that when Anyanwu was commissioner for transport between 2015 and 2019, he transferred the sum of N100 million from the ITC account to his private company named Oma Oil Industries Limited, which is against section 12 and 19 of the ICPC Act 2020 for a public servant.
READ ALSO: Court Jails Woman 18 Years For Child Stealing, Convict Indicts Lawyer
The judge also said that the ex-commissioner signed off another N80 million from government coffers directly to his private company account with the motive that he wanted to procure some vehicles for ITC without due process and recourse to the public procurement act.
The judge, while sentencing him to prison, said the former commissioner looted the sum of N180 million found in his account said to be for the state transport company.
Wike/Dokpesi Faceoff Deepens As AIT/Ray Power Port Harcourt Station Receives Demolition Notice
Egypt Suspends Referee For Using Spectator’s Phone To Review Goal
FEC Approves N454bn For Kano-Niger Republic Rail, Others
Communal Clash Claims Seven, Injures Scores In Delta
BREAKING: COVID-19 Heath Workers Block Hospital Management Board’s Entrance, Demand Payment Of Allowances In Edo
Edo Guber: ‘Oshiomhole’s Triumphant Entry Has Left You In Trauma, Demoralised,’ APC Mocks PDP
Education1 week ago
BREAKING: Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, Fires Over 90 Staff
Opinion1 week ago
OPINION: Why Is Emi L’okan Afraid Of Awa L’okan In Lagos?
Education1 week ago
400-level UNIBEN Student Killed By Gunmen
Politics1 week ago
PICTORIAL: Tinubu Meets National Assembly Members-elect
Business1 week ago
JUST IN: At Last, CBN Breaks Silence, Says Old Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender Till December
Metro4 days ago
JUST IN: Abducted Rivers APC Campaign Director Shot Dead
News6 days ago
JUST IN: World Oldest Monarch, Ohworode Of Olomu Passes On
Politics1 week ago
BREAKING: Over 60 Labour Party Lawyers Storm INEC Office To Inspect Election Materials