Edo 2020: ‘Obaseki boycotted Debate Due Poor Performance’, Says APC

0
358

 

…’I’m Not Aware Of Such Debate’ -Obaseki

The Nigeria Elections Debate Group has called off its scheduled debate between contenders in the Edo governorship race.

This is coming after the PDP’s candidate, Governor Godwin Obaseki, allegedly announced a sudden pull-out from the debate citing unpreparedness, according to inside reports.

The debate, previously scheduled for Wednesday, September 2, was the first meant to showcase the contenders, particularly candidates of the two major parties, before the electorates to speak directly to their manifesto and entertain difficult questions on their intentions and the viability of their plans for office.

READ ALSO: APC Kicks As Betsy Obaseki Allegedly Orders Closure Of Free Medical Outreach

Reacting to Governor’s sudden pull-out, the APC said Mr. Godwin Obaseki was ashamed of his poor records and is unable to defend it without first perfecting his script of half-truths and lies.

In a statement by Mr. John Mayaki, the Chairman of the Edo APC media campaign council, the APC said the governor is terrified of the prospect of being confronted with scorecard of his four years, hence his pull-out on the grounds of lack of preparation.

He said, “Incumbents who performed in office seize any opportunity to showcase their achievements to the people, especially in national debates meant to deepen the democratic culture and offer electorates a front-row seat at an event where those seeking their votes are made to answer difficult questions on why they are deserving of the office they seek.

“But in the case of Mr. Godwin Obaseki, having failed in all ramifications, most notably his central promise of creating 200,000 jobs, he is playing hide and seek with organizers of debate events, citing unpreparedness and campaigns.

READ ALSO: Security: No Cause For Alarm On Edo Guber Election – CP

“The sad truth is that Mr. Godwin Obaseki is never prepared for anything, including governance. To debate, he needs his thousands of aides, most of whom he hired at the dawn of his forgettable tenure, to help him perfect a script of lies and untruths.

“He doesn’t have a known or documented manifesto. His comical ‘MEGA’ plan, which in any case is an admittance of failure, was hurriedly put together as a response to the widespread criticism of his lackluster campaign and the lack of any documented policy promise.

“Mr. Godwin Obaseki knows he cannot spend an hour at a debate name-calling Oshiomhole or regurgitating any of his tired refrains premised on buck-passing and denial of responsibility. At some point, he would be asked to speak of his own achievements and explain why schools in most communities in Edo State have just one teacher. This is why he is hiding.”

Meanwhile, in his response, Mr. Godwin Obaseki said he was not aware of any debate neither does he knows the organizers.

READ ALSO:BREAKING: Lives Lost As Edo APC Campaign Train Involves In Auto Crash

Responding to Oba of Benin, Oba Ewuare II about the debate, Obaseki said such debate was not known to him, just as he wondered why his name was penned down for debate without letting him know.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here