Metro
EndSARS Memorial: Edo Youths Join Protest As Amputee Demand For Compensation
Published
4 years agoon
By
Editor
…Pharmacist Demands Release Of Colleague
Youths mostly drawn from the civil society organistions in Edo State on Wednesday joined their counterparts across the country to mark one year memorial of EndSARS protest of which some youths lost their lives.
The protest which lasted for over two weeks last year, however, turned bloody on 20th of October when security operatives reportedly opened fire on them in their large numbers at Lekki Tollgate, Lagos, where they had gathered to protest against police brutality, bad governance etc.
Scores were reportedly killed in the process while others were taken to detention by the security agents, as quite a number of police stations and other buildings and properties belonging to security agents were burnt and destroyed.
Speaking at the protest ground which held at Benin Museum Park, Oba Ovoramwem Square (Ring Road), one of the protesters, Comrade Kelly Okunbo said one year after the protest nothing has been done.
Okunbo who demanded for the release of those who are still in police detention as a result of the protest, lamented that almost a year after a panel was set up to look into what led to the protest and people that fell victims, not a single implementation has been made to recommendations made by the Edo State Judicial Panel of Enquiry.
“This is almost a year now that the Panel set up submitted its report to governor Godwin Obaseki. It was recommended that the two victims of the protest who are alive and were at the panel be given automatic employment, but till now, nothing has been done. It was recommended that Mr. Stephen who was amputated as a result of gunshot by a soldier at Auchi be given employment, but up till now he is still jobles and walking with crutches. It was recommended that the police officer and soldier who shot miracle and Stephen be dismissed, but till now they are still working freely,” he said.
Also speaking, Asekhame Stephen Ohimai, said he was at the panel with his lawyer to make his submissions and demands but unfortunately nothing has been done.
The graduate of Auchi Polytechnic who is about going for the compulsory one National Youth Service Corps, said himself and other students of the institution were out protesting when men of the Nigerian Army rammed into them and started shooting sporadically of which he received a stray bullet at where he ran to hide, adding that this led to amputation of his leg.
READ ALSO: #EndSARS Memorial: Clash Averted In Benin As Security Operatives Take Over Protest Venue [Video]
He narrated: “I came out to join others who were protesting against police brutality and bad governance on the 19th of October when Nigerian Army rammed into our midst and started shooting sporadically, and I ran to hide in place for safety but stray bullet hits my leg and I was rushed to the hospital where I was recommended for amputation. The Doctor Said without amputation, I will not survive, so my leg was amputated. Many persons were killed in that scene.
“I’m going for youth service now. I want government to provide me job because all the things I was running up and down to do before, I can’t do them. So, the government should help me. My lawyer and I were at the panel and made our presentation, but I have not seen anything.”
Another victim, Miracles Ailenokhoriah, who is still in wheelchair as a result of injuries he sustained from police bullet said he was shot last by a police man during the protest at Ekpoma, Edo State, adding that the policemen who brutalised him threatened to beat him to death and that they further threatened to bury him in a shallow grave should he die as a result of the brutality.
A pharmacist who joined the protest with his medical apron, Pharmacist Clinton Ojo-Edokpayi demanded for the release of his pharmacist colleague, Pharm. Solomon Akume, whom according to him was arrested last year after twitting against Buhari.
“Pharmacist Solomon Akume was arrest last year by DSS during the protest after he twitted that the life of President Muhammadu Buhari is no worth than the live of any Nigeria. He was traced and arrested for that twit, and since then he has not been released. I am here to say Akume and other Nigerians in detention should be released,” he demanded.
You may like
Metro
Truck Crushes Man Rushing For Jumu’ah Prayers In Rivers
Published
10 hours agoon
August 29, 2025By
Editor
A trailer loaded with goods has crushed a Muslim faithful rushing for Friday prayers to death in Port Harcourt.
According to Vanguard, the tragic incident happened on the ever-busy Nkpolu junction axis of the East-West road, Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of Rivers State, around 2:05 pm.
It was gathered that the victim was crossing the busy road when a black SUV on speed knocked him down and that the truck, which was on high speed, crushed him to death.
READ ALSO:US Struck Iran With B-2 Bombers, Submarine-launched Missiles – Top US General
A source, who witnessed the incident, narrated that the young man was behind some of his Muslim brothers, who were also going for the Friday prayers, when the incident happened.
The source, who gave his name simply as Tunde, said the other worshipers had crossed, but that the victim, who did not observe the traffic very well before entering the road, was knocked down by the vehicle.
READ ALSO:Rivers Staff, Pensioners Audit Sparks Outrage
The source said that when the SUV brought him down, a trailer that was on the speed lane ran over him, dismembering the body beyond recognition.
However, the Muslim faithful who were with him took over the highway in protest until police operatives arrived at the scene.
Meanwhile, the police restored normalcy while the protesting Muslims took the remains for burial.
Metro
Three Killed As Suspected Bandits Ambush Motorists In Kwara
Published
20 hours agoon
August 29, 2025By
Editor
Gunmen suspected to be Fulani bandits have allegedly launched a deadly attack on motorists along the Rore and Aranorin communities in Irepodun Local Government Area of Kwara State, leaving at least three people dead.
The incident, which occurred on Thursday, threw residents and travellers into a state of panic as news of the killings spread across the area.
In a video obtained by SaharaReporters, the victims were seen lying lifeless on the roadside, their bodies partially covered with clothing and leaves by sympathisers who arrived at the scene after the attackers had fled.
Eyewitnesses told SaharaReporters that the armed men, believed to be operating from hideouts in nearby forests, opened fire on the unsuspecting motorists in what appeared to be a coordinated ambush.
READ ALSO:INEC Fixes Voter Registration Resumption Dates For Anambra Election, Nationwide
It remains unclear whether the attackers also abducted any victims during the assault, as details were still emerging as of Friday morning.
The attack is the latest in a growing wave of violence that has gripped Kwara State’s Ifelodun and Irepodun local government areas in recent months.
Communities such as Babanla, Shegbe, Ologomo, Alabe, and Oreke in Ifelodun Local Government have faced repeated attacks, forcing hundreds of residents to flee their ancestral homes.
Many victims have been kidnapped for ransom, while others have been killed in similar raids.
READ ALSO:27 Feared Dead In Kwara Boat Mishap
Residents expressed fears that the violence could escalate further unless urgent security measures are taken.
Some community leaders have called on both the state and federal governments to deploy more security personnel to the affected areas, noting that many villages have been left vulnerable as attacks continue unabated.
As of the time of filing this report, the Kwara State Police Command had yet to release an official statement on the incident.
However, sources indicate that security operatives have been mobilised to the area to prevent further violence and reassure residents.
READ ALSO:Why Portable Was Remanded In Kwara Prison Revealed
On August 24, 2025, SaharaReporters reported that hours after Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq visited Babanla community in Ifelodun Local Government Area to reassure residents of improved security, suspected bandits abducted two people in the area.
The governor visited the area to reassure residents and restore a sense of security amid ongoing fears of banditry and kidnappings.
However, the criminals struck soon after his departure, highlighting the persistent threat and heightening tension in the community.
The incident reportedly threw residents into fresh panic despite earlier promises of tighter security measures.
Metro
Suspected Amasiri Warriors Invade Ebonyi Community, Behead Farmer Amid Land Dispute
Published
20 hours agoon
August 29, 2025By
Editor
Tragedy struck on Tuesday, August 26, at Okporojo Idima, Oso Edda in the Edda Local Government Area of Ebonyi State, as armed warriors from neighbouring Amasiri community reportedly invaded the farmland of one Mr. Dike Nnachi, beheaded him, and took his head away as a trophy.
The attack marks a continuation of violent hostilities in the area, coming barely four months after the April invasion in which at least four people, including a pregnant woman and her 12-year-old son, were brutally killed.
That incident also left property worth millions of naira destroyed.
Residents told reporters that the latest killing has deepened fears across Oso Edda, as locals now question the effectiveness of the state government’s ongoing peace efforts.
READ ALSO:Two Die As Mining Pit Collapses In Ebonyi
The Governor of Ebonyi State, Francis Nwifuru, had, through the Ministry of Border Peace and Conflict Resolution, initiated dialogue between warring communities to stem the tide of violence.
However, Tuesday’s bloodshed is seen as a direct challenge to those peace moves.
Community leaders have called for urgent intervention, warning that unless decisive action is taken, the violence could escalate further, leaving more lives and property in jeopardy.
In April, renewed violence broke out over a longstanding land dispute between Ndukwe community in Amasiri, Afikpo Local Government Area, and Okporojo in Edda Local Government Area of the state.
READ ALSO:Radio Station Suspends GM For Criticising Ebonyi Gov
The hostilities left houses and properties worth millions of naira destroyed, as attackers, reportedly from Amasiri, launched assaults on Okporojo.
The worsening security situation forced many residents of Edda to abandon the Amasiri road, opting instead to travel through Afikpo town due to fear of further attacks.
Although previous administrations attempted to resolve the crisis, including the release of a white paper based on a government committee’s recommendations, implementation has reportedly stalled, allowing the conflict to fester and violence to recur.
- Police Urge Bauchi Residents To Remain Calm Amidst Soldier’s Death In Bauchi
- Truck Crushes Man Rushing For Jumu’ah Prayers In Rivers
- Four Places In The World Without Traffic Lights
- Nigerian Student Wins ‘Top In World’ Cambridge IGCSE English Award
- How Becoming Bank Manager At 27 Changed My Life, Tony Elumelu Urges Trust In Africa’s Youths
- Lawyer Sues Sanwo-Olu For Blocking Him On X
- Heed NiMet’s Flood Early Warning, NOA Urges Nigerians
- Iran Has Executed At Least 841 People This Year — UN
- Russia Hits Out At Macron For Calling Putin ‘Ogre’
- Trump Moves To Cut More Foreign Aid, Risking Shutdown
Trending
- Politics5 days ago
[BREAKING] Edo: APC Suspends Ex-senatorial Aspirant Of Party
- News4 days ago
NAFDAC Warns Of Fake Postinor-2 In Circulation
- Headline5 days ago
US Comedian Reggie Carroll Shot Dead In Mississippi
- News2 days ago
JUST IN: Immigration Hikes Passport Fees To N100,000, N200,000
- Headline5 days ago
US Defends New Social Media Vetting For Nigerian Visa Applicants
- Politics4 days ago
PDP Zones 2027 Presidential Ticket To South
- Politics4 days ago
Why APC Candidates Contested 2023 LG Election Despite Intimidation — State Chairman
- News5 days ago
Things To Know As INEC Begins Physical Voter Registration Monday
- Sports4 days ago
Brazil Names Squad Without Neymar, Vinicius For World Cup Qualifiers [FULL LIST]
- Headline5 days ago
Again, Russia Claims Another Village In Ukraine’s Region