Connect with us

News

Int’l Youth Day: Panel Of Discussants In Benin Decry Lack Of Sex Education In Homes

Published

on

Discussants at a one day programme organized to mark this year’s International Youth Day have attributed unwanted pregnancy, abortion among Nigerian youths to the huge gap of sexual communication between parents and their wards as they grow up.

They said most parents forbid communicating anything that has to do with sex in their homes to their growing children, hence they go elsewhere particularly the social media to get such sexual information and even get the wrong ones.

The programme to mark year’s International Youth Day with the theme: ‘Intergenerational Solidarity: Creating a World for All Ages’ was organized on Friday in Benin by Edo State Technical Working Group for Adolescent Health and Developent (STWGAYHD) in collaboration with Advocacy Core Group (ACG), Edo and other stakeholders including the Network of Reproductive Health Journalists of Nigeria.

Advertisement

One of the panel of discussants at the event, Comrade Abiola Daisy Igaga from Conference of Non-Governmnetal Organisation said most parents do not have anything to tell their children on reproductive health, rather they gave the scary information of getting pregnant if a man meets them.

READ ALSO: Asisat Oshoala Nominated For 2022 Women’s Ballon d’Or Award [Full List]

“Most mothers do not have what they can tell their children on reproductive health. In fact, my mother then will tell me that ‘if a man gets close to you, you will be pregnant,’ but this is not true. So, I did not have any information on reproductive health until I got to school,” she said.

Another discussant, Juliet Egwede from Edo State Technical Group on Adolescent and Youth Reproductive Health said parents and the society at large respond negatively to any discussion on sex by the young ones rather than enlightening them and telling them the right ways to go about it.

Advertisement

“The response from parents, when a child starts communication on reproductive health, has been negative. Even the society we are living in, when you talk about sex, the response is always negative. So, this makes young people shy away from talking about it particularly in public,” she said.

Continuing in the discussion, she said: “We need to talk about it at home. We are in the social media age where young ones go and learn most often in the negative, so, if we fail to teach them at home, they will go and learn elsewhere. So, as parents, if we have that communication relationship with our children about sex as they grow up, they will open up to us.”

Earlier in his welcome address, Dr. Bright Oniovokukor, Chairman, STWGAYHD, said one of the issues plaguing young people is inadequate access to reproductive health services, mostly, accurate information on reproductive health services and contraceptive service health.

He added: “Numerous factors such as parental influence, community and religious norms, etc are seen as significant barriers in affecting sexual reproductive health discussion. To address this social barrier hence we are having this International Dialogue and Youth Sexual and Reproductive Health Services. We want to bridge the gap that we can close.”

Advertisement

He continued: “One is tempted to ask, where did we miss it; where does the gap lie? Can we identify these gaps for things to get better?”

In his goodwill message, Hillary Aghedo, Chairman, National Youth Council, Oredo Chapter, urged youths to join the movement of positive change that everyone in the country is yearning for.

READ ALSO: 2023: You Cannot Promote, Sell Tinubu Without Looking Stupid – Dino Melaye

In her goodwill message, Bisi Akpaida, state coordinator, Network of Reproductive Health Journalists of Nigeria, said journalists are concerned about the reproductive health of the young ones hence media practitioners came together with a view to talking and enlightening them on reproductive health.

Advertisement

Discussants at the event all stressed the need for parents to all bridge the gap of sexual communication with their children with a view to guiding them aright in their sexual activities, as they said most of the young ones are sexually active hence no need to hiding anything from them.

News

Edo Man Petitions EFCC Over Fraudulent Withdrawal Of ₦4 Million In His Access Bank Account

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has received a formal petition from Osehobo Onojie Bernard, a resident of Ebo Quarters, Benin City, alleging fraudulent activities involving his bank account No. 1838861087 with Access Bank.

In the petition dated June 24, 2024, Osehobo highlighted the careless handling and fraudulent transactions associated with his account by the bank authorities.

He told the Commission that an unauthorized withdrawal of ₦4,201,000 (four million two hundred and one thousand naira) was made from his account on May 16, 17, and 18, 2024, facilitated by officials of Access Bank.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Gunmen Abduct 2 Chinese, Kill 5 Nigerians In Lokoja

He explained that he opened the account in question in November 2023 when two identified Access Bank staff from their 39 Akpakpava Road, Benin City branch approached him to set up a High Interest Deposit Account (HIDA) with funds from his existing Access Bank account No. 0040251257, which he held at the Airport Road Benin City branch.

He said that subsequently, he was assigned a new HIDA account number, 1838861087.

Osehobo added that the Access Bank personnel opened the HIDA account number 1838861087 using the existing information from his other bank account, No. 0040251257, which he operated manually without an ATM card or mobile banking.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Lagos Taskforce Uuncovers 2 Illegal Petroleum Storage Facilities

He specified that withdrawals could only be made with a teller by verifying his signature, BVN, and NIN before approving transactions, especially for large sums.

In his detailed narrative, Osehobo recounted that by November 2023, the account had accumulated a significant balance, driven by interest yields.

However, discrepancies emerged in May 2024 when he did not receive a routine birthday wish from the bank. Instead, he received a message that included an OTP (One-Time Password), which raised his suspicions.

Advertisement

Osehobo argued that, “My subsequent investigations revealed that the OTP was part of a scheme allegedly orchestrated by the bank officials to access my funds fraudulently.”

READ ALSO: Reps Ask NERC, DISCOs To Reverse Band A Tariff Hike

He said that the unauthorized withdrawal occurred over multiple transactions on May 16, 17, and 18, 2024, without his knowledge or consent, facilitated by the misuse of the OTP system.

He expressed his conviction that Access Bank officials were complicit in the fraudulent withdrawals, leveraging internal banking processes to circumvent security protocols.

Advertisement

He conveyed his frustration and the significant impact of the lost funds, which he described as a considerable portion of his financial assets.

Osehobo called on the EFCC to investigate the matter thoroughly, hold the responsible parties accountable, and recover the misappropriated funds

.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Lagos Taskforce Uuncovers 2 Illegal Petroleum Storage Facilities

Published

on

The Lagos State Taskforce has uncovered two illegal petroleum storage facilities where over 2,000 litres of diesel were recovered during multiple sting operations of blackspots in Ikoyi and environs.

Also, a total of 114 suspects were arrested and five were released unconditionally after properly identifying themselves.

The operation was led by the State Taskforce Chairman, Chief Superintendent of Police, CSP, Adetayo Akerele, in a late night operation on Tuesday night.

Advertisement

Akele explained that the operation was based on the feedback mantra of “see something, say something” put in place by the agency and the directive and support of the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Adegoke Fayoade, major blackspots at Mosley Street, Glover Road and Lateef Jakande Avenue in Ikoyi were raided by the agency after concerned residents highlighted the clustering numbers of unidentifiable individuals at those selected locations and the conversions of residential areas to safe havens for suspected criminals and miscreants.

READ ALSO: President Tinubu Appoints New Head Of Civil Service

He said, “After having carefully analyzing the complaints received, a discreet investigation was carried out in the vicinity which confirmed the intelligence to be credible, and resulting in a late night raid.

“We have come out here to address issues of environmental and safety concerns in Ikoyi where residents have complained about the increasing numbers of miscreants who have converted these inner streets to restaurants, drinking spots, gambling spots, and boutiques to mention but a few.

Advertisement

“It is an eyesore what we encountered here during our investigations and we will ensure that we restore sanity to these streets immediately.”

The Chairman further disclosed that an illegal petroleum storage facility was discovered during the operation where over 2000 litres of diesel was discovered in an unsafe location, posing a risk to both occupants of the uncompleted building and neighbours on the same street.

READ ALSO: Biden Speaks Of Quitting Presidential Race If…

He stated that the occupants of the building risked safety concerns regarding storage of petroleum products which if not properly managed could result in a fire disaster.

Advertisement

“We have discovered over 2000 liters of diesel stylishly hidden in this abandoned building in an unsafe manner which could lead to a fire disaster.

“Diesel is highly flammable and also combustible if not properly stored. Therefore this miscreants are not just risking their lives through their ignorant actions but also the lives of their neighbors and passerby in the event of an explosion.”

Akerele also warned street traders who are still in the practice defacing the environment and disposing their waste into the gutters and drainage channels in any part of the state to move their trade to approved markets or risk being arrested.

He also warned miscreants who lay about and convert streets to religious grounds, social event centers and sports ground to desist forthwith or be prosecuted.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: APC Destroyed Nigerian Economy, All Institutions Built For 16 Years – PDP Governors

Akerele stated that such selfish actions hinder on the right of residents to live in peace and serenity as prescribed in the THEMES PLUS agenda of the State Government.

“I urge every well meaning Lagosian to notify us of any environmental infraction by any individual or groups of individuals in any part of the Metropolis to prevent an environmental mishap.

“Its our duty and responsibility to ensure that such infractions are nipped in the bud to maintain sanity and habitability across board.

Advertisement

“A total of 114 suspects were arrested and five were released unconditionally after properly identifying themselves and stating their business.

“The remaining suspects will be charged to court and all items confiscated will be forfeited to the state government through the court,” Akele affirmed.

 

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Abia Commissioner For Health Resigns

Published

on

The suspended Abia state Commissioner for Health, Dr. Ngozi Okoronkwo, has tendered her resignation from office, to Governor Alex Otti.

Otti, had on June 11, 2024, suspended the Commissioner for Health over alleged financial misconduct. The Governor also set up a committee to probe the allegations against her.

Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Mr Ukoha Njoku, in a statement, disclosed that the Governor had accepted the resignation and thanked Okoronkwo for her services and modest achievement in repositioning the health sector of the state.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Tension In Abia As Female Truck Driver Blocks Highway To Protest Harassment By Touts

“The suspended Abia state Commissioner for Health, Dr. Ngozi Okoronkwo has tendered her resignation letter to the Executive Governor of Abia State, His Excellency, Dr. Alex Chioma Otti, OFR.

“The Governor while accepting her resignation, thanked Dr. Okoronkwo for her services to our dear State and her modest achievements in repositioning the Health Sector for better service delivery in the last one year. He wished her well in her future endeavours.

“The Governor reiterated his commitment to the transformation of Abia State and reminded Abians that they gave him the mandate to assemble his team, and this includes hiring, suspending or sacking his appointees or rejigging and reshuffling his cabinet whenever the need arises for the sole purpose of delivering all his promises to the people,” the statement read.

Advertisement

 

Continue Reading

Trending