Connect with us

News

IYC: Fresh Crisis Brews As Omare Prepares Contempt Suit Against Oweilaemi

Published

on

Fresh crisis seems to be brewing in the Ijaw Youth Council (IYC) following Eric Omare’s directive to his lawyers to file a contempt suit against Peretubo Oweilaemi for allegedly flouting the declarations contained in a judgement delivered by the Bayelsa State High Court.

Omare was recently declared the authentic President of the IYC by the State High Court sitting in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State.

Advertisement

The court ended a prolonged leadership crisis in the judgement that stopped Peretubo Oweilanmi from parading himself as the president of the radical IYC.

READ ALSO: Criminal Justice Law: ‘No Security Agent Has Right To Torture You’ EDOCSO Tells Nigerians

Oweilaemi, however, in one of his statements said he had appealed the judgement.

Advertisement

Oweilanmi had in the statement said, “I am pleased to inform the general public especially the numerous Ijaw youths at home and in diaspora that we have successfully appealed against the said judgment in Appeal No: CA/PH/ /2020.

“Those who want to ferment trouble in the Council should be informed that the legal battle has been drawn. I appeal to Ijaw youths to maintain peace at all times, while we take this necessary step to correct the legal blunder. Like I said before, there is no cause for alarm”.

However, IYC Spokesman, Henry Iyalla, in a statement confirming that Omare was prepare a contempt, faulted the claims of Oweilanmi that he had successfully filed an appeal against one of the judgements delivered by Justice E.G. Umukoro.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Coronavirus: Turkey Detains 64 For Spreading Misinformation On Social Media

He said by his utterances, Oweilaemi implied that one of the two Bayelsa State High court judgements aganist him had been set aside by the Court of Appeal sitting in Port Harcourt.

NATION quoted Iyalla as saying, “The statement demonstrated a crass ignorance of law and legal procedures and it is amazing that it came from a lawyer. It calls to question the quality of legal education in Nigeria.

Advertisement

“In the first place, it is important to note that the court in the two different cases to wit: YHC/37/2017: Eric Omare & Ors v. Pereotubo Oweilaemi & Ors and SGA/04/2017 declared that the election that was done at Okrika where Oweilaemi and 10 others emerged as National Officers of the IYC was null and void. In law, when an action is said to be a nullity and of no effect, it means that it never existed abinitio.

“It therefore means that in all these three years Oweilaemi and co have just being wasting their time moving from one place to the other in the name of IYC. The court in the second judgement delivered on Tuesday March 17, 2020 also declared all their actions null and void.

READ ALSO: Police Arrest 75-year-old Man For Allegedly Defiling Two Siblings

Advertisement

“This point is also implied in the first judgement. The implication is that all Clan, Parliament, chapter and zonal structures set up by Oweilaemi and his Exco are null and void.

“Their participation in any activity of the IYC in their status including the ongoing electoral process would vitiate the process and the electoral committee headed by Bekewei Ajuwa, who is a Lawyer must take special note of this fact.

“Mr. Oweilaemi in the said publication claimed that he has appealed one of the judgements with a non-existing appeal number. For the records PHC/../2020 which Oweilaemi quoted is not an appeal number. It is the height of legal ignorance for Oweilaemi to quote the above as appeal number in his statement. And if i may ask, which judgement did Oweilaemi appeal against? Is it the one in Suit No. YHC/37/2017 or SHC/04/2017?

Advertisement

“Let Ijaw youths and the general public know that Oweilaemi has not even started the process of filing appeal against any of the judgements not to talk of filing an appeal. The appeal procedure involves filing a Notice of Appeal at the court that delivered the judgement.

READ ALSO: 38-year-old Driver Remanded For Allegedly Impregnating Minor In Edo

“Then parties would be invited to compile records of appeal. After compilation of records, the records would be transmitted to the court of Appeal. It is at this point that an appeal number is given by the court of appeal which may take months. So if I may ask, which one has Oweilaemi done? I state without doubt that Oweilaemi’s appeal only exist in the figment of his own imagination”.

Advertisement

He, however, said even if Oweilanmi filed an appeal as he claimed, it would not change the fact that he was never a president of IYC, adding that a mere filing of an appeal would neither stay the judgement of the court nor reverse it.

He continued, “Therefore, it amounts to contempt of court for Oweilaemi to be signing documents and parading himself as President of IYC.

“This is the reason the President of IYC, Eric Omare, Esq has directed his Lawyers to file contempt charges against Oweilaemi and some of his Exco members who are still parading themselves as IYC Exco members. The IYC is not a lawless organization neither a banana republic, so Oweilaemi as a Lawyer must respect the rule of law.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: BREAKING: Court Sacks Edo Council Chairman, Declares Petitioner Chairman

“I wish to also advise Oweilaemi very strongly, first as a kinsman and secondly as a professional colleague that he is risking his professional bar certificate as a Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Nigeria by his consistent disregard for the judiciary.

“In one of Oweilaemi’s statements, he referred to the first judgement as a ‘black market judgement’. Mr. Oweilaemi may soon go and explain to the Legal Practitioners Disciplinary Committee of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) what that meant in a case that he was represented by a Lawyer from beginning to conclusion.

Advertisement

“I advise Ijaw youths to completely disregard Oweilaemi’s imaginary appeal. It doesn’t exist anywhere and even if he appeals, it doesn’t change the legal position that he doesn’t and never existed until the two judgements are set aside. It would take a minimum of four years for any of such appeal to be heard.

“However, I am confident that all the judgements would be upheld on appeal because Oweilaemi has no case. It was a clear and obvious case, that is the reason why in one of the cases, for complete two years, he couldn’t call a single witness.

READ ALSO: Breaking: Protesting Sports Festival Contingents Block Major Road, Say ‘We Have No Food, No Allowance’

Advertisement

“There is no appeal that can be heard and determined before the end of the tenure of the 7th Leadership of he IYC; hence Eric Omare is the Sheriff and Captain of the IYC ship. Swallow your pride, Mr. Oweilaemi and work with President Omare”.

(NATION)

(PHOTO: File)

Advertisement

Advertisement
Comments

News

100 Civil Servants Die In Jigawa Within One Month

Published

on

By

The Jigawa State and Local Governments Contributory Pension Scheme said 100 civil servants died within one month.

Executive Secretary of the Board scheme, Alhaji Kamilu Aliyu Musa, disclosed this while briefing newsmen on the payment of the retirement and death benefits in his office.

Advertisement

He said the Board has paid N1.215bn to 550 retirees for the month of July, 2022.

Kamilu explained that, the beneficiaries are categorized into four for the payment of their rights.

According to him “the first category include 411 beneficiaries who have retired from the service and were paid over N920,331 million.

Advertisement

“The second category of the beneficiaries are those 100 people that have died while in service and their families received the total amount of N267,329 million”

“The third category of 8 beneficiaries are under the death pension balance and will get N27, 952 million as their entitlement

READ ALSO: BREAKING: APC Presidential Primaries: Jigawa Delegate Dies In Abuja

Advertisement

“While the fourth category of beneficiaries are those who are not in service for up-to five years, the board will refund 8 percent to them amounting to N201,437 thousands as their entitlement.”

The Executive Secretary also reiterated the board’s commitments to pay each retired civil servant his entitlement within one month of his retirement.

He then commended Governor Muhammad Badaru Abubukar for his support to the Board and releasing the Pensioners entitlement in a right time.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

News

INEC Reacts As Hoodlums Burn Razed Its Enugu Office

Published

on

By

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has confirmed that hoodlums burnt down its office at Igboeze North Local Government Area of Enugu State.

The incident occurred on Sunday night when the arsonists stormed the office situated at the council’s headquarters in Ogurute.

Advertisement

Confirming the incident, the Resident Electoral Commissioner in the state, Mr. Emeka Ononamadu, in a statement on Monday, said the arsonists overpowered the security guards, forced their way into the premises, and set the building ablaze.

He said although no casualties were reported, 748 ballot boxes, 240 voting cubicles, office furniture, and equipment were destroyed in spite of the effort of the Enugu State Fire Service deployed from Nsukka.

READ ALSO: JUST IN: Hoodlums Set INEC Office Ablaze In Enugu

Advertisement

Ononamadu added that the Commission is working to ascertain the status of voter registration machines for the ongoing Continuous Voter Registration (CVR) exercise as well as uncollected Permanent Voters Cards (PVCs) locked up in the fireproof cabinet.

”The incident has been reported to the Nigeria Police for investigation and further action.

”The attack, coming in the middle of the voter registration exercise and other preparations for the 2023 General Election, is worrisome. It will be recalled that on 23rd May 2021, our office in the neighbouring Igboeze South Local Government Area was attacked in a similar manner by unknown gunmen.

Advertisement

”This followed earlier attacks on the Udenu Local Government Area office on 13th May 2021 and the State Headquarters in Enugu on 16th May 2021.

”The Commission has since substantially recovered from these attacks and resumed normal activities there, including the VR and collection of
PVCs.

READ ALSO: 2023 Elections: INEC Speaks On Voters Registration In Niger Republic

Advertisement

”The Commission will continue to work with the security agencies and the emergency services to protect our facilities,” the statement added.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Niger Attack: Death Toll Of Security Operatives Rises To 48

Published

on

By

The number of security personnel killed in Niger State by suspected bandits has increased following the discovery of more bodies in the bush.

Sani Kokki, the convener of Concerned Shiroro Youths of Niger State, explained that more bodies of the security operatives were discovered in the bush by the locals.

Advertisement

According to Sani Kokki, “On Saturday evening, the dead body of a mobile policeman was also discovered by a passerby.”

READ ALSO: Pastor Adeboye Clarifies Reports Alleging He Asked Christians To Buy Guns

Recall that a number of soldiers, policemen and civilians were killed after bandits attacked a mining site on Wednesday in Niger State.

Advertisement

He explained that the death toll of the security personnel killed by the bandits had risen to 48.

He alleged that the bandits killed 34 soldiers, eight mobile policemen and six civilians.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending