Connect with us

News

Just In: Edo Assembly Speaker, Okiye Impeached

Published

on

The crisis rocking Edo State House of Assembly took new dimension on Monday as nine lawmakers out of the ten members of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) impeached the speaker of the House of Assembly, Mr. Francis Abumere Okiye.

Okiye represents Esan North East state constituency in the house.

Advertisement

Mr. Marcus Onobun member representing Esan West constituency was elected as the new speaker.

READ ALSO: Court Restrains INEC From Conducting By-election Into Edo Assembly Seats

The latest development came just about a month to the swearing in of Governor Obaseki (on November 12 this year) for another term of four years in office.

Advertisement

The impeachment of Okiye followed a motion moved by Majority Leader of the House, Mr. Henry Okhuarobo representing Ikpoba Okha state constituency.

Okhuarobo’s motion was seconded by the member representing Akoko-Edo 1 constituency in the house of assembly, Prince Yekini Idaiye.

READ ALSO: Edo Assembly Crisis: Group Condemns Failed Attempt To Take Over House

Advertisement

The member representing Igueben state constituency, Mr. Ephraim Aluebhosele had earlier moved a motion to nominate the new speaker after Okhuarobo raised the issue of a petition against Okiye and was seconded by the member representing Akoko-Edo 11 constituency, Mr Emmanuel Agbaje.

Deputy Speaker of the house, Mr. Roland Asoro presided over the plenary shortly after the impeachment process.

Members of the house unanimously adopted the impeachment motion through a voice vote.

Advertisement

Trouble was said to have started shortly after the house resumed its plenary when Okiye asked the clerk, Alhaji Yahaya Omogbai to read the order of proceedings for the day to the hearing of members in order to begin the business of the day.

READ ALSO: Edo Assembly Impasse: PDP Wants By-election Conducted Into 14 Seats

Okhuarobo was said to have quickly drawn the attention of former Speaker Okiye to a petition against him and reeled out the impeachment motion.

Advertisement

The lawmakers accused Okiye of alleged financial impropriety and booted him out in the process.

They had suspended Okiye for three months and set up a committee headed by Okhuarobo to probe him and submit the report to the house.

The new speaker, Mr. Marcus Onobun upon his election, thanked the members for his emergence.

Advertisement

Accordingly, Onobun, moments after his election had quickly dissolved all the house standing committees and relieved all the appointees of the house of their various appointments.

Mr. Onobun also constituted a three man committee to look into financial records of the house under the leadership of the former speaker and also placed the former speaker under three months suspension to allow for a peaceful transition.

READ ALSO: Edo Assembly Crisis Goes Spiritual As Traditional Worshippers Release Curses

Advertisement

Speaking to newsmen inside the state Government House, Okhuarobo said “the members have compelling reasons to do what they did and that the house needed to wait till now because of political reasons and now the process is over. Irrespective of APC or PDP, we are united in the quest to move the state forward.”

There was drama as efforts by the State Deputy Governor Comrade Philip Shaibu, Secretary to the state Government, SSG, Osarodion Ogie Esq. and immediate past Speaker and Political Adviser to the Governor on Politics (Ed North senatorial district) Mr. Kabiru Adjoto to wade into the matter yesterday failed as they lawmakers had concluded the impeachment move.

It was learnt that no one resisted the plot leading to the eventual removal of Okiye as speaker.

Advertisement

Many of the aides to the former speaker and workers including police personnel attached to the state assembly were seen stranded amid confusion as at the time of this report.

Also efforts to reach the former speaker Okiye yesterday for comment over his removal failed.

READ ALSO: Edo 2020: Explain Edo Assembly Tussle To The World, APC Tells Obaseki

Advertisement

News

INEC CVR: CSO Expresses Worry Over Poor Deployment Of Machines, Manpower To LGs In Edo

Published

on

By Joseph Ebi Kanjo

Edo Civil Society Organisations (EDOCSO) has expressed worry over the poor deployment of capturing machines and manpower to Igueben Local Government Area of the state by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in the ongoing Ongoing Continuous Voters Registration (CVR).

Advertisement

The Coordinator, EDOCSO, Igueben Study Centre, Leftist Enabulele Larry, and Secretary, Leftist Mark Akande expressed the CSO sentiment when the duo visited the INEC headquarters in Igueben where the CBR in the local government is taking place.

In a statement made available to INFO DAILY on Friday, the leadership of EDOCSO, Igueben Study Centre condemned the “use of only two capturing devices in a local government with over 69, 396 in population.”

READ ALSO:Things To Know As INEC Begins Physical Voter Registration Monday

Advertisement

The duo noted in the statement that their findings at the INEC headquarters revealed two capturing machines were deployed to each local government across the 18 local government areas of the state.

The civil society members said INEC excuse of deploying two capturing machines to each local government was not germane enough because many do not have a computer or android phone to do the online registration INEC gave as an excuse.

The question here is, what is the percentage of our people mostly the aged individuals, that have access to Android mobile and other internet gadgets in Edo state?

Advertisement

READ ALSO: ADC: Why INEC Has Not Recognised David Mark, Others

“How many people can afford internet data to enable them have access internet services in Edo state under the current excruciating economic pains by the people?

“How many of the Edo people can even manipulate the Android mobile phone to the extent of navigating the internet hurdles to undertake the job is INEC? If INEC is not ready for the job, they should tell Nigerians.

Advertisement

“If citizens are now advised to individually undertake the statutory job of INEC, of what purpose does the commission serve to the people? etc,” they said.

As at when filing this report, INFO DAILY was yet to get a reply from the message sent to the INEC in Edo for reaction.

 

Advertisement

Continue Reading

News

Edo Sports Commission Boss Celebrates Okpehbolo On Birthday

Published

on

The Executive Chairman of the Edo State Sports Commission, Hon. Amadin Desmond Enabulele, has felicated with Governor Monday Okpebholo, on the occasion of his birthday.

In a statement issued on Friday by his Media Officer, Edoko Wilson Edoko, Enabulele Okpebholo as a visionary leader whose dedication to the growth and development of the state has continued to inspire confidence and admiration across all sectors, especially sports.

Advertisement

Enabulele, who highlighted the governor’s unwavering commitment to youth empowerment through sports development, noted that under his leadership, Edo State has witnessed significant strides in grassroots sporting initiatives and infrastructure.

READ ALSO: Enabulele Confident Of Team Edo’s Success At 2025 NYG

His Excellency, Senator Monday Okpebholo, is not just a political leader but a beacon of hope for the younger generation.

Advertisement

“His passion for excellence and inclusive governance is evident in the way he has continued to support policies that uplift our youths and promote sporting excellence,” the statement read.

The Executive Chairman prayed for long life, good health, and continued wisdom for the governor as he steers the affairs of the state towards greater prosperity.

“On behalf of the entire Edo State Sports Commission, I extend our warmest birthday wishes to His Excellency at 55. May this new chapter of his life be filled with more accomplishments and divine grace,” he added.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

News

Oba Of Benin Suspends Palace Chiefs

Published

on

The Oba of Benin, Ewuare II, has suspended two of his chiefs for falling for dereliction of duties.

This was contained in a statement signed by the Secretary to the Benin Traditional Council (BTC), Frank Irabor and made available to journalists in Benin City.

Advertisement

He said their suspension was as a result of their long absence from the palace, resulting in their failure to carry out their palace responsibilities.

The suspended persons are: Chief John Igiehon, the Izuwako of Benin and chief Aimiukpomonyako Oghogho (Ebengho), the Oyenmwensoba of Benin.

READ ALSO: Oba Of Benin Suspends 67 Dukes

Advertisement

“The under-mentioned two (2) chiefs have been suspended from the Palace of the Oba of Benin.

“This is as a result of their long absence from the Palace, resulting in their failure to carry out their Palace responsibilities.

“The public is advised to be wary of unscrupulous chiefs that are no longer functioning in the Palace. His Royal Majesty has approved their _ Suspension and directed the public be duly informed. 

Advertisement

“The names of the chiefs are: – ; 1. CHIEF JOHN IGIEHON, THE IZUWAKO OF BENIN and, _ 2 CHIEF AIMIUKPOMONYAKO OGHOGHO (EBENGHO), THE OYENMWENSOBA OF BENIN”, the statement said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending