Connect with us

News

JUST IN: Lagos RTEAN Gets New Chairman, Dissolves Executive Council

Published

on

The Road Transport Employers’ Association of Nigeria has announced the appointment of Adesina Hussaini aka Okanlomo as the chairman of the association in Lagos State.

Following Okanlomo’s appointment, the union also announced the dissolution of the earlier inaugurated 35-member Lagos State RTEAN executive council.

Advertisement

The RTEAN National President, Musa Muhammed, made the development known in a statement made available to journalists on Saturday.

Muhammed said, “In reference to the resolution reached by the Federal Executive Council and organised Labour in reconciling our matter with the Lagos State Government and the national executive of our great association, the RTEAN, we announce the dissolution of our former structure of Lagos State executives council members, and adopt the appointment of Adeshina Hussaini (Okanlomo) as the chairman of the Lagos State branch of the RTEAN.

READ ALSO: Why Aiyedatiwa Hasn’t Moved Into Ondo Govt House

Advertisement

“All those members who were suspended in the course of the matter are hereby recalled for the interest of peace and harmony in the state. We call on all members to be law-abiding and constitutionally guided.”

In another statement signed by the RTEAN General Secretary, Yusuf Adeniyi, the union noted that the move complied with the provision of item 6 of the Memorandum of Understanding dated October 2, 2023, between the Federal Government of Nigeria and organised labour, to bolster industrial harmony and ensure strict adherence to the rule of law.

Adeniyi said, “The contentious issue of RTEAN leadership has been laid to rest with the unanimous appointment of a new state chairman. Adesina Hussaini a.k.a Okanlomo is the new chairman of the RTEAN in Lagos State effective from January 1, 2024.

Advertisement

“The Lagos State RTEAN and all property hitherto taken away will hereby be returned to the union. The operation of the RTEAN in all motor parks in Lagos State is to resume with immediate effect. No member of the RTEAN will be victimised by the union or the Lagos State Government for their role in the dispute.

READ ALSO: Man Killed By Co-tenant Over Alleged Affair With Wife In Ogun

“We are therefore calling on all our members to comply with the peaceful resolution reached and cooperate with the government and security agencies in discharging their duties. We thank all those who contributed in one way or the other, for seeing this matter get resolved amicably.”

Advertisement

The Federal Government resolved the 15-month-long dispute between the RTEAN and the Lagos State Government.

In a letter dated January 6, 2024, and addressed to the Trade Union Congress, the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, revealed that the ban initially slammed on the union’s operations in Lagos State had been lifted following a peace move brokered during a meeting with the leadership of the organised labour.

The resolution laid to rest the contentious issue of RTEAN leadership with the unanimous appointment of a new leadership for the union in the state.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Insecurity: Tinubu Mulls Deployment Of Forest Guards

For 15 months, the activities of the RTEAN were banned in Lagos state following a leadership crisis that engulfed the association.

This led the state government to slam a ban on the association and subsequently appointed a 35-man Caretaker Committee to take over the activities of the union.

Advertisement

However, the intervention of the Office of the NSA has now brought an amicable resolution of all issues that were initially in dispute.

In the letter signed by the NSA and addressed to the Secretary-General of the TUC, it was revealed that Adeshina Teslim (aka Okanlomo), has been appointed as the new Chairman of the RTEAN in Lagos State with effect from January 1, 2024.

According to Ribadu, the Lagos State office of the RTEAN and all properties hitherto taken away will returned to the union.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: JUST IN: Tinubu Suspends N-Power, School Feeding, Others

He added that the operation of the RTEAN in all motor parks in Lagos State is to resume with immediate effect.

“No member of RTEAN will be victimised by the union or Lagos State Government for their role in the dispute. Lagos State Government, its agencies, and the general public are to be intimated about the peaceful resolution.

Advertisement

“On this premise, you are humbly requested to intimate the union on the amicable resolution of the dispute and the highlights of the agreements reached,” the NSA stated in the letter.

Ribadu noted that the action complied with the provisions of Item 6 of the Memorandum of Understanding dated October 2, 2023, between the Federal Government of Nigeria and the Organised Labour to intervene in the crisis to facilitate peaceful resolution of the issues.

The intervention of the Federal Government, he said, was also in line with the commitment of the present administration to bolster industrial harmony and ensure strict adherence to the rule of law.

Advertisement

News

Police Urge Bauchi Residents To Remain Calm Amidst Soldier’s Death In Bauchi

Published

on

The Police in Bauchi state has called on all the residents of the state to remain calm after a soldier was shot dead by a police officer in the state.

CSP Ahmed Wakil, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) made the call on behalf of the Commissioner of Police in the state, Sani Omolori-Aliyu.

Advertisement

According to him, Inter-agency security forces have initiated a thorough investigation into the circumstances surrounding the unfortunate incident which led to the death of the soldier.

The PPRO recalled how a blogger narrated the incident that a member of the Nigerian Army attached to 33 Artillery Brigade was fatally shot while attempting to intercept a truck suspected of transporting solid minerals from an illegal mining site in Futuk, Alkaleri Local Government Area of the state by a mobile police Inspector on illegal duty.

READ ALSO:

Advertisement

The blogger also said that the incident occurred on August 25 at about 7:50 p.m. when personnel from the 33 Artillery Brigade, Bauchi, purportedly stopped a truck with the registration number Gombe 676-BLG at a checkpoint in Futuk village.

“The report further added that the truck driver refused to comply, prompting the Guard Commander, Master Warrant Officer, Ali Haruna, now deceased, to pursue the vehicle with his team on motorbikes until they managed to intercept it.

“That upon stopping the truck, Inspector Yusuf Ibrahim, a mobile police officer, exited his vehicle and opened fire on the Guard Commander, striking him in the abdomen.

Advertisement

“The blogger added that the soldiers at the scene overpowered the policeman and disarmed him. The injured officer was transported to the Gombe Specialist Hospital for urgent medical attention, but tragically succumbed to the gunshot wound,” said the PPRO.

READ ALSO:

He however, explained that preliminary investigations, revealed that the truck is associated with Guruje Mining Company Limited and ZURFI Company Limited, which possessed valid legal licenses in Gwana, Alkaleri LGA.

Advertisement

He said that this authorisation pertained to the extraction of lead and zinc minerals, which was obtained from the Mining Cadastre Office, Federal Republic of Nigeria, effective from 12th May 2023.

Wakil added that the companies have complied with all mining operational protocols of the Nigerian Minerals and Mining Act of 2007 and possessed a certificate of incorporation pursuant to the Companies and Allied Matters Act of 2020.

READ ALSO:Bumper Harvest: Foundation Distributes 6,000 Fertilizers To Farmers In Bauchi

Advertisement

“The mobile police officers attached to these companies were formally requested and approved to provide security for the safety of expatriate workers and fulfil other security responsibilities associated with the company. Inspector Yusuf Ibrahim was among those assigned to this duty.

“The company successfully extracted a substantial quantity of lead and zinc minerals, which were proposed for export, and relevant fees as revenue paid to the Federal Ministry of Mines and Steel Development, referenced by RRR code 3212-7561-4841.

“The Bauchi state Police command has constituted an investigation team of experienced detectives in collaboration with the Nigerian Army military police and are tasked with collecting and assessing all relevant information surrounding the incident’s remote and immediate causes,” Wakil said.

Advertisement

 

 

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

How Becoming Bank Manager At 27 Changed My Life, Tony Elumelu Urges Trust In Africa’s Youths

Published

on

Prominent African businessman and philanthropist, Tony Elumelu, has reflected on the defining moment of his early career when he was appointed a bank branch manager at just 27 years old.

In a post shared on his LinkedIn page on Tuesday, Elumelu recounted how his appointment at AllStates Trust Bank changed the trajectory of his life and shaped his passion for empowering young people.

Advertisement

When I was 27, I was given the opportunity of a lifetime: I became a branch manager at AllStates Trust Bank, a young bank in Nigeria.

“Banking was beginning to change the country, it was the sector to be in, ripe for transformation, ready for disruption, for democratisation.

READ ALSO:EFCC Arraigns Six Katsina Revenue, Bank Workers Over N1.2bn Fraud

Advertisement

At that time, few believed a 27-year-old could successfully lead a bank branch. But that opportunity changed the entire course of my life.

“It gave me confidence. It gave me a platform. Most importantly, it gave me perspective,” he wrote.

Elumelu, who is the founder of the Tony Elumelu Foundation and chairs Heirs Holdings and United Bank for Africa, noted that his journey began not with financial capital but with trust.

Advertisement

His post continued, “That’s why today, I am passionate about giving young people the same chance I was given. Because I know what’s possible when someone believes in you early.

“This belief is at the heart of everything we do at The Tony Elumelu Foundation. It’s why we invest in young African entrepreneurs – because someone once invested in me.

READ ALSO:EFCC Arraigns Bankers, Accomplices For Alleged N8.5bn Fraud

Advertisement

My journey didn’t begin with capital. It began with trust. Let’s keep believing in Africa’s youth. They are ready to lead, grow and transform our continent.”

In a follow-up post on X on Friday, the business leader further highlighted three lessons from his experience as a young bank manager.

“Shared recently on my LinkedIn page how I became a bank manager at just 27. I got a lot of questions. One stood out: How could someone so young handle such responsibility?

Advertisement

“Many doubted a young man could lead a bank branch. That chance changed the entire course of my life,” he wrote.

READ ALSO:Sealing Spree: FCTA Sledge Hammer Hits FIRS Office, Bank, Fuel Station, Others

Outlining the lessons from his journey, Elumelu wrote, “Lesson 1: Age is not a barrier. If you can execute, are hungry to learn, and committed to results — you can lead at any age. Leadership is about clarity of vision and that discipline to execute.

Advertisement

“Lesson 2: The most powerful capital is trust. My journey didn’t start with money — it started with trust. Trust was the seed that propelled everything else. Give young people trust, and they will surprise you. I was trusted, I repaid that trust.”

In the third lesson, Elumelu explained why perspective matters in leadership.

He wrote, “Leadership is not about doing everything yourself. It is about empowering, setting direction, and providing clarity. The sooner you learn this, the faster you grow.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Outrage As Bank Insists Bedridden 96-year-old Woman Must Appear For ID Verification

That’s why today, I am passionate about giving young people the same chance I was given. Cascading luck. Catalysing opportunity.”

Elumelu said these principles continue to drive his commitment to youth empowerment through his foundation.

Advertisement

It is the reason we invest in Africa’s youths at the #TonyElumeluFDN, because someone once invested in me,” he wrote.

My story is proof that when we trust in our youths, they are ready to lead, grow, and transform our continent. Let’s keep believing in Africa’s youths,” he concluded.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Lawyer Sues Sanwo-Olu For Blocking Him On X

Published

on

Human rights lawyer, Festus Ogun, has filed a lawsuit against Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, at the Federal High Court in Lagos for allegedly violating his fundamental rights by blocking him on his verified X (formerly Twitter) account.

In the suit marked FHC/L/CS/1739/25, which was shared by Ogun on Friday via his facebook page, he said the governor’s decision to block him since 2021 was triggered by his “constructive criticisms” and “demand for accountability” over the October 2020 #EndSARS killings.

Advertisement

In 2021, I noticed that the Governor blocked me on his official X handle @jidesanwoolu owing to my constructive criticisms of his policies and demand for accountability in respect of the October 2020 #EndSARS Massacre,” Ogun wrote.

According to him, being blocked has deprived him of access to vital information.

READ ALSO:DSS Charges Nine Over Benue, Plateau Massacres

Advertisement

“Blocking me on X has prevented me from accessing public updates and receiving information about policies and governance in Lagos, which constitutes a violation of my right to receive information without interference,” he said.

In his originating summons cited by The PUNCH, the lawyer asked the court to declare the action unconstitutional, arbitrary, and discriminatory.

According to the lawsuit, Ogun said he sought “a declaration that, as a democratically-elected public office holder in Nigeria, the Respondent (@jidesanwoolu)’s blocking of the Applicant (@mrfestusogun), a citizen of Nigeria and resident of Lagos State, on X (formerly ‘Twitter’) is wrongful, unconstitutional, arbitrary and constitutes a gross.”

Advertisement

He further prayed the court to compel Sanwo-Olu to unblock him, issue a public apology, and stop targeting critics online.

READ ALSO:UK Bans Sanex Advert For Calling Black Skin ‘Problematic’, White Skin ‘Superior’

An order of perpetual injunction restraining the Respondent, his agents, privies or any other person or entity acting through or on his behalf, from further blocking the Applicant on X or any other social media platform,” the suit read.

Advertisement

Ogun, who described himself as “haunted, traumatised and emotionally disturbed,” stressed that the matter went beyond his personal grievance. “This suit is not just about me. I have filed this lawsuit in furtherance of public interest and with the hope that it sets a precedent in our digital rights jurisprudence,” he said.

The lawyer also invited the court to take guidance from a 2019 ruling in the United States.

I invited the Nigerian court to be persuaded by the decision of the US District Court in Knight First Amendment Institute v Trump where President Trump was found to be in violation of the 1st Amendment when he blocked US citizens for criticising him on Twitter,” he stated.

Advertisement

Ogun argued that intolerance to opposing views undermines democracy. “Intolerance to criticism and accountability is unconstitutional and undemocratic. Nigerian authorities continue to crack down on dissents, critics, journalists, bloggers and vocal citizens on social media using arrests, detention, surveillance, collusion with big techs and outright blocking, as weapons. That narrative must stop,” he warned.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending