Connect with us

News

MNJTF Arrests 900 Suspected Terrorist Collaborators

Published

on

The Multinational Joint Task Force says its troops of Sectors 3 and 4 have apprehended more than 900 suspected family members and collaborators of Boko Haram/Islamic State West Africa Province insurgents.

This is contained in a statement on Wednesday by the MNJTF Chief Military Public Information Officer in N’Djamena Chad, Lt.-Col. Kamarudeen Adegoke.

Adegoke said the infighting by the Boko Haram and ISWAP terrorist groups, as well as the effects of the MNJTF and other national operations bombardment, especially the effects of the air strikes, had triggered their movement.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Police Recover 182 Illicit Arms, 430 Ammunition In One Month

He disclosed that there had been continuous movements of large bodies of people from the Sambisa forests to the Lake Chad basin within the last one month.

“In a joint coordinated operations between Sectors 3 and 4 of the MNJTF in the Kamadougu Yobe River general area, along the Nigeria/Niger common border areas, more than 900 people, made up of women, children and elderly people suspected to be families and collaborators of the insurgents, have been arrested.

Advertisement

“Collaboration with national authorities and subsequent profiling and handing over is ongoing.

“Also, troops of Sector 4 conducted a night patrol along Ngagam–Djalori Axis where they rescued three women alongside their four children who were fleeing from the fighting between the Boko Haram and ISWAP from Sambisa forest.

“In a related encouraging development, on March 8, troops of Sector 3 Nigeria deployed at Damasak intercepted 70 terrorists’ family members comprising 43 women and 30 children.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Ex-Boko Haram Member, Traditional Ruler, 35 Others Arrested For Drug Trafficking

“They are currently receiving medical attention and profiling,” he said.

Adegoke explained that the emerging situation by the MNJTF troops of Sector 3 Nigeria started on March 5.

Advertisement

He said this followed the arrest of two suspected Boko Haram terrorists’ logistics suppliers and their collaborators, Muhammed Sabo and Sarki Danladi, while trying to exit Munguno town to the Tumbuns to link up with the terrorists.

He said the items recovered from the suspects included two blankets, two fishermen identity cards, three wristwatches, two access passes which were issued by the terrorists, 20 empty sack bags, some personal clothing.

He added that troops on stop and search operation along the Main Supply Route Monguno – Kekeno – Cross Kauwa- Baga on March 4, arrested two suspects conveying some quantities of wrappers and other logistics to the terrorists.

Advertisement

“In the same vein, on March 5, we arrested one Abubakar Usman with First Bank ATM card and an invoice containing the lists of items to procure and possibly deliver to the terrorists.

“During the preliminary interrogation, the suspect confessed that he has been involved in the supply of several logistics to the terrorists,” he added.

The MNJTF spokesman said troops had apprehended some key terrorists’ logistics suppliers in different locations in recent times.

Advertisement

He said that several items such as fishing hooks, fishing threads, corn flower, mosquito nets, cooking pots, clothing as well as cash were recovered from the suspects.

In his massage to the troops, the Force Commander, MNJTF, Maj.-Gen. AbdulKhalifa Ibrahim, commended the efforts of the troops and the commanders for the effective coordination of the operations.

READ ALSO: Naira: Malami, Emefiele On Their Own On S’Court Judgement – Presidency

Advertisement

Ibrahim urged them not to relent in their determination at degrading the BHT/ISWAP logistics couriers which would have an overall positive impact on the counter insurgency operations.

He noted that the end of insurgency was in sight, and urged the troops to collectively deal a deadly blow on the insurgents.

He reassured them of the continuous support of the Headquarters of the MNJTF and called on the people of the Lake Chad Basin to be observant and report any suspicious activity to the security forces.
NAN

Advertisement

 

Advertisement
Comments

News

FULL LIST: FG Lists Nigerian Veterans For Honours To Celebrate 100 Years Of Aviation Industry

Published

on

The Federal Government of Nigeria has unveiled Nigerian veterans and distinguished aviators to be honoured for pioneering contributions that have shaped Nigeria’s aviation industry over the past century.

The Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, Festus Keyamo, announced the event in an X post on Saturday, describing the awardees as “icons whose vision and dedication laid the groundwork for Nigeria’s aviation success.”

He also shared photos of some of the honourees ahead of the event slated for Monday, December 1, 2025 at the Bola Ahmed Tinubu International Conference Centre in Abuja.

Advertisement

According to him, the recognition is part of activities marking 100 years of aviation in Nigeria, tracing the sector’s evolution from colonial era to its present status as a critical contributor to the country’s economy.

READ ALSO:Why FG Named KWAM 1 Aviation Security Ambassador — Keyamo

“The first ever aircraft to land in Nigeria was in Kano in 1925. As a result, we are celebrating 100 years of aviation in Nigeria this year. On Monday, December 1, 2025, at the Bola Ahmed Tinubu International Conference Center, Abuja, we shall celebrate this milestone with a number of performances and events, including honouring veterans of the aviation industry in the last 100 years. We are inviting all aviation stakeholders to the event,” he wrote.

Advertisement

Below are the list of some of the Nigerian veterans who have shaped the aviation industry, as shared by the Aviation Minister:

Chief Gabriel Igbinedion, founder of Okada Air.

Late Alhaji Ahmadu Dan kabo, founder of Kabo Air.

Advertisement

Capt Robert Hayes, Nigeria’s first certified pilot.

Chief Mbazulike Amechi, former Minister of Aviation and instrumental in establishing Nigerian Airways.

READ ALSO:JUST IN: Kenya Airways Pays NCAA Sanction Fee For Passenger’s Rights Violations

Advertisement

Chief Allen Ifechukwu Onyeama, Air Peace founder, promoted local content and invested in Nigerian youths’ training.

Dr Emmanuel Enekwechi, contributed to the aviation industry’s growth.

Capt. August Okpe, founder and CEO of Okpe Aviation Services, Nigeria’s first indigenous aviation engineering company.

Advertisement

Sen. Hadi Sirika, former Minister of Aviation, initiated policies like the national carrier launch.

Capt Rabiu Hamisu Yadudu, pioneered Nigeria’s aviation industry and transformed airports into world-class facilities.

Capt Ado Sanusi

Advertisement

Chief Wale Babalakin

Sir Joseph Arumemi

Olumuyiwa Bernard Aliu

Advertisement

READ ALSO:JUST IN: Kenya Airways Pays NCAA Sanction Fee For Passenger’s Rights Violations

Capt Dele Ore

Capt Wale Makinde

Advertisement

Capt Ibrahim Mshella

Capt Dapo Olumide

Ms Bimbo Sosina

Advertisement

Capt Benoni Briggs

Mrs Deola Olukunle

Dr Thomas Ogunbangbe

Advertisement

Capt Edward Boyo

Dr Gbenga Olowo

Elder Dr Soji Amusan

Advertisement

Engr Awogbemi Clement

Sen Musa Adede

Georg Eder MBA

Advertisement

Capt Prex Porbeni

Mrs Folashade Odutola

Dr Taiwo Afolabi OON

Advertisement

Capt Fola Adeola

Dr Seindemi Fadeni

Capt Chinyere Kali

Advertisement

Harold Demure

Akin Olateru

Mr George Urensi

Advertisement

Mrs Deola Yesufu

Engr Babatunde Obadofin

Dr Ayo Obilana

Advertisement

Capt Felix Iheanacho

Capt Peter Adenihun

Capt Jonathan Ibrahim

Advertisement

Pa Odeleye AC

Capt Toju Ogidi

Pa Abel Kalu Ukonu

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Bishop Kukah Insists No Christian Genocide In Nigeria, Gives Reasons

Published

on

The Catholic Bishop of Sokoto Diocese and Convener of the National Peace Committee (NPC), Most Rev. Matthew Kukah, has insisted that there’s no Christian genocide in Nigeria, explaining that number of people killed doesn’t amount to genocide.

Bishop Kukah stated this while presenting a paper at the 46th Supreme Convention of the Knights of St. Mulumba (KSM) in Kaduna.

His comments follow criticism that trailed reports quoting him as advising the international community against designating Nigeria as a “country of particular concern.”

Advertisement

The bishop explained that such labels could heighten tensions, fuel suspicion, and give room for criminal groups to exploit the situation, which would disrupt interfaith dialogue and cooperation with government.

READ ALSO:SERAP Drags Akpabio, Tajudeen To Court Over Alleged Missing N18.6bn NASS Complex Project Funds

Addressing figures circulated about alleged Christian killings in Nigeria, Kukah said he aligns with the Vatican Secretary of State, the President of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Nigeria, and all Catholic bishops in the country.

Advertisement

He said, “They are saying that 1,200 churches are burnt in Nigeria every year, and I ask myself, in which Nigeria? Interestingly, nobody approached the Catholic Church to get accurate data. We do not know where these figures came from. All those talking about persecution, has anyone ever called to ask, ‘Bishop Kukah, what is the situation?’ The data being circulated cleverly avoids the Catholic Church because they know Catholics do not indulge in hearsay.”

On the use of the term genocide, he noted, “Genocide is not based on the number of people killed. You can kill 10 million people and it still won’t amount to genocide. The critical determinant is intent, whether the aim is to eliminate a group of people. So, you don’t determine genocide by numbers; you determine it by intention. We need to be more clinical in the issues we discuss.”

Kukah also challenged claims that Christians in Nigeria are being targeted. He said, “If you are a Christian in Nigeria and you say you are persecuted, my question is: how? At least 80% of educated Nigerians are Christians, and up to 85% of the Nigerian economy is controlled by Christians. With such figures, how can anyone say Christians are being persecuted?”

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Yiaga, Kukah Centre, CEMESO, Others, Assess Anambra Guber, Advocate Electoral Laws Enforcement

He linked many of the challenges faced by Christians to a lack of unity, stating, “The main problem is that Christians succumb to bullies. The day we decide to stand together, believing that an injury to one is an injury to all, these things will stop.”

He further warned against loosely labeling victims as martyrs. “Because someone is killed in a church, does that automatically make them a martyr? Whether you are killed while stealing someone’s yam or attacked by bandits, does that qualify as martyrdom? I am worried because we must think more deeply.”

Advertisement

Clarifying his earlier remarks, he added, “People say there is genocide in Nigeria. What I presented at the Vatican was a 1,270-page study on genocide in Nigeria and elsewhere. My argument is that it is not accurate to claim there is genocide or martyrdom in Nigeria.”

Continue Reading

News

OPINION] MOWAA: Unpleasant meal cooked for Benin from the outside (Two)

Published

on

By Tony Erha

“Agha tot’ ikolo, t’ amen mie ede”; A Benin idiom holds sway that; “When the earthworm dominates a discussion, the rainfall would be all day long”. For the Museum of West Africa Art (MOWAA), whose skewed establishment had resurfaced about 2018, dominated global discourse and has reached a peak. Day in, day out, there is intense global indignation, bothering on an alleged swindling of the museum’s artefacts and huge accrued monies, which were under the care of the immediate-past governor of Edo State, Mr. Godwin Obaseki, alongside some of his political and business associates, which many commentators presented to be a f monumental fraud. As already claimed, it could as well have been called MOWAA-gate!

This article, being the second and last stanza of the first, published two weeks ago, was predicated on the decimating crisis of MOWAA. A condensed recap of the said article was partly anchored on a lavish reportage by swamps of Nigerian and foreign press, which largely implicated the Obaseki’s government, as inept in the due processes of MOWAA’s setup. MOWAA is a charitable entity, which sprang up on global funding and other resources of the state government, whereupon a case of undue diligence was allegedly stressed on Obaseki and his government.

Advertisement

There is a threesome public inquiry, thus raising a gummy accusation of indecency, especially when the ex-governor Obaseki’s People’s Democratic Party (PDP) had been voted out by the All Progressives Congress (APC), with Senator Monday Okpebholo as the present governor. And the MOWAA-gate is getting messier as Governor Okpebholo and the state’s House of Assembly, the lawmaking arm, had each set up a probe panel. Disturbed that the MOWAA-gate is earning the nation a bad name, the National Assembly, from a far-away Abuja, the nation’s capital, also instituted another probe.

”The returned looted Benin artifacts, like other sacred art work of Benin provenance, are not just superficial or ornamental, but infused with the mystical command and supernatural energy of the Benin kingdom of great antique. The key to correctly identify, classify, and position the authentic totems, in time and space, lies in the Royal Benin Palace, under the power of the Oba of Benin”. Sampson Ebome, a lawyer and perceptive cultural activist, uttered, postulating further;

MORE FROM THE AUTHOR:[OPINION] MOWAA: Unpleasant Meal Cooked For Benin From The Outside (Part One)

Advertisement

“In every other society as Japan, Sweden, Spain, Denmark, Britain, the Netherlands, Saudi Arabia and Morocco etc., royalty holds a choice-place in preserving the unique cultural and corporate identity of the society and its governance. It is no co-incidence, therefore, that even in today’s Europe, there are about twelve statutory monarchs in its advanced democracies. Perhaps, the grave error of Godwin Obaseki’s administration was to proceed on the false logic that a concrete divergence existed between the government and the Benin kingdom, the very source and origin of the history, dialects, cultural identity and heritage of all the people of Edo State. To have persisted in this gargantuan ruse, an original artifice of the colonising powers of Europe, was always bound to be destabilising to the spiritual and socio-political equilibrium of the state”

In the state’s legislative’s probe, cans of worms are being revealed on MOWAA and the Reddisson Hotel construction, said to have been Obaseki’s conduit pipes. And there is intense firework by the contending parties. Chief Osaro Idah and some of the Oba’s palace chiefs have dragged MOWAA to the law court, a development which Oyiwola Afolabi SAN, MOWAA’s lawyer said had jeopardised the appearances of Godwin Obaseki, Osarodion Ogie (former Secretary to State Government) and other MOWAA’s executive at the House of Assembly summon.

“Even khiri-khiri keke udemwen idan ere ogbakhian”. “Fierce wrestling is a companion to violent thuds”. And the fight is now more forceful as no man will leave his leg for an opponent to grab. “Emwin na ma ru ese, to si itale emwen”, a Benin parlance for; “That which had been tardily or slyly done is bound to cause disaffection”. And so, the fight ranges whilst the onlookers are left to mock he that is already falling!

Advertisement

“Ovbi ekpen ere otolo ekpen ehae”. “Osayomore Joseph, the late music crooner and a soulmate, had often reminded me about the age-long Benin axiom; “It takes only the Cub – heir, to tickle the forehead of a Leopard. Instructively, HRM, Ewuare II, the revered Oba of Benin, with the Methuselah of wisdom at play, narrated the seizure of the artefactual ownership and benefaction, as he stoically alleged the undue conscription of his heir into the corporate board of Edo Museum of West Africa Art (EMOWAA) by ex-governor Obaseki. His son had also attested to that. The claim was also buttressed that EMOWAA was an inordinate scheme evolved by Obaseki and his associates to wrestle the returned looted artefacts and supplement payment from their foreign sources.

MORE FROM THE AUTHOR:OPINION: A ‘Crazy’ African Nation, Where Citizens Eat And Drink Football

The Esans of Edo would say; “Ehun no ho obhiaha emoen, avava uwendin, ole odia”. “The sharp fart that disgraces the bride perches in-between her buttocks”. Once upon a time, Governor Okpebholo, on the heels of his final governorship declaration by the Supreme Court, which Obaseki and his protégé, Dr. Asue Ighodalo, the PDP candidate had dragged him through, was swayed by the of Senator Adams Oshiomhole insistence on the probe of Obaseki and his government. But Nyesom Wike, the flammable minister of Abuja, had dissuaded a pliable Okpebholo. But, Obaseki wasn’t mindful that he had escaped the expected probes, until he caused it with his usual foibles.

Advertisement

“Asua gha sua egile, oya danmwen ekpatu; eighi ye ebe gue egbe”. In a Benin folktale, it’s about the adventurous snail that crawls up the tree and soon crash to the ground, failing to cover itself from its hunters. The headstrong former governor, with the braggadocio of a ‘diaspora governor’, has taken the fight from ‘iya’ (valley) to ‘oke’ (mountain top). All we now see is the continuation of a “filaga filogo” (a street brawn with broken bottles and cudgels), now that ‘slappers and bone breakers’ fight wherever they meet in Europe and America. It is a bitter reminder of Obaseki’s heydays of masterminding the ‘Torgbas’ fighters’ gang that fought the APC’s ‘Tokpas’, which had earned him aliases like ‘Emanton’ (Iron Rod) and ‘Isakpana’ (the god of anger).

Whilst Nigerians and humankind watch the ‘filaga filogo’ and shame emanating from the Nigeria’s ‘heartbeat’ state, the very man who was called the ‘Wake and see Governor, may be laying down in the foreign climes the same landlines, that he laid on his home’s pathway that makes him to go into self-exile’.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending