Connect with us

Headline

Ondo Nightclubs Owners Break Silence On EFCC Operatives’ Invasion

Published

on

The Ondo State chapter of the Lounge and Club Owners Association has called on the state and federal government to investigate the raid by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission operatives on a nightclub and a hotel in Akure, the state capital.

The PUNCH reported that operatives of the commission, on Saturday, stormed the nightclubs and arrested about 127 youths who were suspected to be internet fraudsters.

Advertisement

The suspects were apprehended in an early morning raid on Saturday, June 8, 2024, at simultaneous parties held in the state capital.

According to an EFCC statement on Saturday, credible intelligence indicated the party was initially scheduled for Wednesday, June 5, but was postponed to Saturday in an attempt to evade the commission’s security and intelligence networks.

READ ALSO: N1.8bn Fraud: Court Orders Arrest Of Three Electricity Agency Officials

Advertisement

Speaking with journalists in Akure on Monday, the chairman of the association in the state, Mr Abayomi Ajepe, disclosed that the anti-graft commission operatives allegedly stormed the premises of the affected night clubs in a commando-like manner, like armed robbers, and vandalised property worth millions of naira during the sting operation.

Ajepe also noted that many of the customers and guests of the invaded hotel, including a new couple, were embarrassed as the operative was forcing the door open on the guests, adding that the incident had negatively affected the hospitality business in the state as many of their customers were afraid of lodging in their hotels.

He said, “What we experienced on Saturday we never expected of it, because Akure is a very peaceful community, we are not too happy, the incident happened around 1:45 am on Saturday morning and personally I drove to the scene to witness what was going on and on getting there it was barbaric so I have to turn back because I don’t want to get hurt.

Advertisement

“I was on the phone, making calls to authorities but it was later we discovered that these people came from the Ibadan EFCC office because initially, we thought they were armed robbers. So we are telling the whole world that we are not too happy with what happened.

READ ALSO: Petrol Price May Crash to N300/Litre If…– Modular Refineries

“They took away the cameras, phones, CCTVs, along with about 127 people and some of them were still there. So why they are denying their operations here in Akure? We want the government to check-mate this unacceptable attitude in our community, government needs to come to our aides.”

Advertisement

On the next action to be taken on the matter, the chairman said the association was still consulting their lawyers, either to take legal actions on the issues, lamenting that there had been no business after the incident happened.

Expressing his displeasure about the incident, the manager of the affected night club, the Signatures Elixir, Mr Ayo Abass-Akinwande, said, “At about 1:30 am on Saturday, June 8, 2024, the men of EFCC came into our premises. They were about 40 of them and they came with about 10 unregistered Toyota buses. The only thing that could be used to identify them was their red jackets and the guns.”

READ ALSO: Russia Sending Nigerians, Other African Students To War For Visa Renewal – Report

Advertisement

He said, “After gaining access to our premises, they rounded everybody up and instructed them to lie down on the floor. Using snooker sticks to beat people to comply, Both male and female customers were dealt with mercilessly. Other members of their team went into the club and rounded everyone up, releasing tear gas in the process. We were lucky to have adequate first aid materials on the premises that were used by our staff to rescue some of the customers who had various forms of medical emergencies. The CCTV engine room was completely turned upside down and the CCTV engine was taken away.”

Similarly, the Chairman/CEO of Alba Royale Hote, Mr Ayo Alabi, confirmed that a lot of things were destroyed in the hotel by the operatives.

“I went there in the morning and I saw the massive damage, I was told that all the guests were seriously dealt with, they took away our CCTV engine, they never invited us, we never had any issue with them and we have evidence on how they carried out the operations,” Alabi lamented.

Advertisement

 

Advertisement

Headline

Nigerian Man Pleads Guilty In US To $405,000 Romance Scam Against American Women

Published

on

A40-year-old Nigerian man, Daniel Chima Inweregbu, has pleaded guilty in the United States to charges of conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud, as well as money laundering, in connection with a romance scam that defrauded American women of more than $405,000.

The United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Louisiana, in a statement on Thursday, said Inweregbu and his co-conspirators ran the scheme between July 2017 and December 2018, using a fake online persona named “Larry Pham” to lure victims on dating sites and social media targeting US citizens.

Advertisement

Acting U.S. Attorney Michael M. Simpson said that Inweregbu, described as a citizen of Lagos, Nigeria, pleaded guilty on August 21, 2025 before United States District Judge Nanette Jolivette Brown to two of the counts pending against him.

The counts which include conspiracy to commit mail fraud, wire fraud, and using an assumed name to commit a mail fraud scheme, Attorney Simpson said were in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Sections 1341, 1342, 1343 and 1349 (Count 1), and conspiracy to commit money laundering, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Sections 1956(a)(1)(B)(i), 1957, and 1956(h) (Count 12). INWEREGBU’s plea stemmed from his role in a lengthy romance scam targeting American citizens.

READ ALSO:My Wife Sleeps In Leggings, Denies Me Sex —Husband

Advertisement

According to court documents, a “romance scam” was a confidence scheme in which the perpetrator feigned romantic intentions towards a victim, gained their affection, and used the victim’s goodwill to commit fraud.

These fraudulent acts might involve such acts as obtaining access to the victim’s money, bank accounts, credit cards, passports, e-mail accounts, or national identification numbers; convincing the victim to transmit things of value to the perpetrator or his witting or unwitting co-conspirators; or inducing the victim to, unintentionally, commit or participate in the commission of financial fraud against third parties on behalf of the perpetrator,” the statement read.

It added, “Between at least July 1, 2017, and December 16, 2018, Inweregbu, and his co-conspirators, devised and operated a “romance scam” whereby they sought to obtain money and property from multiple American women, including 4 victims, by means of false and fraudulent representations and promises.

Advertisement

“Specifically, Inweregbu and his co-conspirators created profiles on social media and online dating sites using the alias “Larry Pham,” purportedly a middle-aged male, to attract middle-aged female victims.

READ ALSO:US Court Jails Nigerian For Large-scale Hacking, Identify Theft

The co-conspirators, including Inweregbu, used online messaging platforms and email, to contact victims, introduce themselves, and appeal to victims’ longing for companionship. If the victim responded favorably, Inweregbu and his co-conspirators began to cultivate a romantic relationship that emotionally attached the victims to “Larry Pham.”

Advertisement

“Once the relationship was established, the defendant and his co-conspirators, posing as Larry Pham, requested victims send them money under various scams and ruses to domestic bank accounts they opened and managed. Inweregbu’s scheme resulted in actual and intended losses to the victims of over $405,000.

“Thereafter, Inweregbu and his co-conspirators laundered the funds, by conducting financial transactions using the proceeds of their wire and mail fraud scheme, designed in whole or in part to conceal and disguise the nature, location, source, ownership, and control of the proceeds, by directing the victims’ funds through intermediaries.

READ ALSO:US Court Sentences American To 40 Years For Beheading Gokada Nigeria Founder

Advertisement

Inweregbu faces up to twenty years in prison, up to three years of supervised release, and up to a fine of $250,000 as to Count 1. He faces up to twenty years in prison, up to three years of supervised release, and up to a fine of $500,000 as to Count 12. He also faces payment of a $100 mandatory special assessment fee per count. Sentencing before Judge Brown has been scheduled for December 4, 2025,” the partly read.

Acting U.S. Attorney Simpson, according to the statement praised the work of the Federal Bureau of Investigation in investigating this matter and expressed appreciation for the great support provided by United States Department of Justice Office of International Affairs and the United States Department of State.

Assistant United States Attorney Jordan Ginsberg, Chief of the Public Integrity Unit, is in charge of the prosecution,” the statement noted.

Advertisement

 

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Headline

UK Bars Over 100 Job Roles From Foreign Recruitment To Curb Migration

Published

on

The British government has unveiled major immigration reforms, blocking foreign workers from filling more than 100 job categories in a move aimed at reducing net migration.

The Home Office, in a statement posted on X Saturday morning, said the decision was geared towards creating more opportunities for local citizens while restructuring the visa regime.

Advertisement

“Cutting net migration means getting the fundamentals right.

READ ALSO:US Envoy, Minister Address Visa Policy Changes, Urge Compliance

More than 100 occupations are no longer eligible for overseas recruitment – opening up more jobs for British workers. A fairer, skills-focused system is now taking shape,” the Home Office stated.

Advertisement

This policy marks the latest immigration clampdown under Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer, who assumed office on July 5, 2024, after Labour’s sweeping election win that ended Rishi Sunak’s tenure.

However, the measure has drawn criticism, with opponents warning it could deepen staffing shortages in critical sectors such as healthcare and social services.

The Home Office has not yet published the full list of restricted occupations.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Headline

PM Killed In Israeli Strike, Say Yemen’s Huthis

Published

on

The prime minister of Yemen’s Huthis was killed in an Israeli airstrike along with other officials earlier this week, the Iran-backed rebels announced on Saturday.

Ahmed Ghaleb Nasser Al-Rahawi, who was appointed last year, is the most senior official known to have been killed in a series of Israeli strikes during the war in Gaza.

Advertisement

We announce the martyrdom of the fighter Ahmed Ghaleb Nasser Al-Rahawi… along with several of his ministerial colleagues, as they were targeted by the treacherous Israeli criminal enemy,” a Huthi statement said.

READ ALSO:Rivers Sole Administrator, Ibas Dismantles Fubara’s Political Structures With Key Appointments

Others among their companions were injured with moderate to serious wounds and are receiving medical care since Thursday afternoon,” it added.

Advertisement

The Israeli military struck in the area of Sanaa, the Huthi-held capital, on Thursday. The Huthis, claiming solidarity with the Palestinians, have frequently fired missiles and drones at Israel during the Gaza war.

READ ALSO:How Imo Monarch, Cop Suspected Killers Were Arrested — Police

Israeli forces “struck a Huthi terrorist regime military target”, the Israeli military said at the time.

Advertisement

The Huthis have also targeted shipping in the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden, which they claim is linked to Israel during the Gaza war.

The rebel group controls large parts of Yemen, which has been gripped by war since 2014, and is part of Iran’s anti-Israel alliance alongside militant groups across much of the Middle East.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending