News
OPINION: Oyinlola Keeps His Promise Despite Tinubu’s Victory (2)

Tunde Odesola
After reading the first part of this article last week, Oyinlola called me, and as my phone was ringing, I was tempted to fetch the bitter kola in my hunter’s pouch, take a bite, gargle some aromatic schnapps and chant the incantation, “Ohun ta wi fun ogbó, l’ogbó n gbo, ohun ta wi fun ogbà, l’ogba n gba, kóse kóse ni ti ìlákòse, á sùn má párádà ni ti igi àjà… tùèh!”
I wasn’t going to harm Oyinlola with my chant. Far from it. I was only going to safeguard the kill that Ògún Lákáayé Ósìnmólè, the god of War and Iron, had secured for me, a gunless hunter, from a gunnery old soldier. I didn’t want to hear, “Tunde, I mistakenly sent some bags of cowries to your vault. I’m sorry; they’re not meant for you. They’re meant for Tunde Kelani, the world-renowned cinematographer.”
Well, if Omo’ba Lagun had tried to recall the ancient legal tender aka cowries in my possession, in the manner Bible-loving Godwin Emefiele recalled the naira, I wouldn’t have been sheepish like the Nigerian masses. I would’ve stood up to him and reminded him of the epic Battle of Òrè during the Nigerian Civil War.
Oyinlola knows the art and science of war. He knows why the intensity of the Òrè Battle is prefixed with the phrase ‘O Le Ku’, Ija Òrè. It was in Òrè, Ondo State, that Biafran forces were turned back by federal forces.
I would’ve refused to return the cowries because in vain the moinmoin seeks escape after entering the house of agidi corn meal. The bracelet is cast on the wrist of Olóòsà, nobody can pull it off! I’ll remind Oyin that the Kelani that directed Ò Lé Kù also directed Agogo Eewo, which affirms the efficacy of African traditional powers. I have the full support of the Awise Agbaye, Prof Wande Abimbola, and the Araba of Osogbo, Baba Yemi Elebuibon.
FROM THE AUTHOR: OPINION: Travelling Through Nigeria In Tinubu’s Yacht
When I picked up Oyin’s call, his voice was unmistakable, “Young man, you want to reveal what we did in secret, abi? I’m going to sue you and press for damages because people are going to bombard me.” I protested, “They’ve been bombarding me too, despite my incantations, sir.” “Na you sabi di fake incantation you’re chanting. You’re muddling ‘Ohun ta wi fun ogbó, l’ogbó n gbo’, and ‘Fírí, fírí loju n ri, bòhùn, bohun làgùtàn ń wò’; the two serve different purposes. One is to make you do what you wouldn’t do, the other is to render you powerless,” he said. Hmm, I could see Oyin doesn’t know Ifa has gone digital.
Oyin belongs to the rich cultural past when mothers exhaled thrice ‘ha! ha! ha!’ before slicing open the gizzard of a freshly killed fowl, nowadays, ‘ha! ha! ha!’ could indicate delirium or the commencement of cult war. Nowadays, everything is muddled up.
Oyinlola continued, “I was the one God used to end the Ife-Modakeke War, not Chief Bisi Akande, as contained in the first part of your article. When I became governor, they were still fighting, albeit on a low scale. So, I went to Ooni Sijuwade Okunade. I told him, ‘Kabiyesi, you’re the only one who can put a permanent end to this crisis’. I said he should cooperate with me. Thereafter, I went to Baba Ogunsua, the late Chief Francis Adedoyin. I told him of the need to put a permanent stop to the war. I pleaded with him to follow me to Ife. And he agreed.
“It was on a Sunday. Modakeke people said Ife people were threatening that Ogunsua should not come. I said the Ogunsua should come in my car, that anyone who wants to kill or harm him would have me to contend with first. When we got to Ife, we entered the palace, and Ogunsua was given a seat, but he refused the seat and sat on the floor.
FROM THE AUTHOR: OPINION: My Children Won’t Suffer What I Suffered
“At the meeting, I suggested to Oba Sijuwade that all the lands of Modakeke seized by Ife should be returned, and he agreed. I also urged him to upgrade Ogunsua, who was a baale, to a king. Sijuwade also agreed. Also, I implored Sijuwade to pay all the salaries accruable to Ogunsua, which had been seized, during the war. Oba Sijuwade agreed to that, too. That was how the war ended permanently. So, when people ask what my greatest achievement was as governor, it is ending the Ife-Modakeke war, not the Osun State University, not the numerous infrastructural projects. Human life is sacrosanct.”
Never dig the hole of antagonism deep because you might find yourself in it, counsels a Yoruba proverb. I was the Lagos State Governor’s Office/Lagos State House of Assembly reporter when the letter transferring me to Osun State as correspondent came. Some of my Alausa colleagues I shared my impending destination with warned me of virtually everyone on Oyinlola’s media team. “Ha! Lasisi will want to control you.” “Oh! Oladeji is cunning. You can never know where he’s going.” “Salam is manageable, but don’t trust him totally.” The advice came in torrents. But I never allowed what I had heard about the trio to affect my relationship with them.
I cherish and nurture friendship. An ex-Osun House of Assembly Speaker, Chief Adejare Bello, was the first politician I met when I got to Osun. His enigmatic Press Secretary, the late Olumide Ajayi, (my ‘aburo’) saw me the day I arrived and insisted I must see his ‘oga’ in Ede. I complained it was getting late, but Olumighty begged. He was such an irresistible soul. I succumbed.
When Bello left government, I still kept in contact with him. Bello, now the Ambassador to Mexico, loves football. His team is Real Madrid and his favourite player is Ronaldo. Hardly a day passes without me needling him about the inability of Ronaldo to win the World Cup like my favourite player, Messi did. In return, he would remind me that Real Madrid are superior to Barcelona, my team.
During the Qatar 2022 World Cup, I was rooting for Argentina while Bello was seeking their ouster. When Argentina got to the final and I started to diss Bello, he said in annoyance, “Argentina will never win the cup.” “The cup is already in Bueno Aires,” I fired back. “Do you want to bet?” “Yes, sir, I want to bet.” “How much?” “N100k.” “OK?” Ok!”
FROM THE AUTHOR: OPINION: When I Forged My Exam Record
When the referee blew the final whistle and I was jumping about the house, thanking God for crowning Messi’s stellar career with a World Cup, my phone rang, it was Bello, “Tunde, congratulations! Send your account number, please.”
“N100k just like that? Why have you been wasting your time in journalism? Why don’t you become a pundit and make money, Tunde?” I wondered.
I don’t like to bet. The few times I have betted in my life, I returned the won bet. But what’s N100k to an ambassador? Did I ask for the win? Tunde, send your account number jo! I did and heard an alert shortly afterwards.
In 2011, inside PUNCH newsroom, I predicted the outcome of the 2011 Osun governorship election. Saturday PUNCH had on its cover the map of Osun, showing the 30 local government councils. The election was a straight fight between the incumbent, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, and the challenger, Chief Iyiola Omisore. Saturday PUNCH Editor, Mrs Bisi Deji-Folutile, predicted victory for Omisore.
The Executive Director, Publications, Mr Adeyeye Joseph, now Managing Director and Editor-in-Chief, asked if I was the one that shaded each candidate’s areas of strength on the map. He was told I wasn’t. He called for me and directed that I handle the map.
On election day, Aregbesola won in all the 22 councils while Omisore won in the eight I predicted, though there were one or two councils where I predicted victory could go either way. When I got to the office on Monday, Segun Olugbile, the news editor, told me Saturday PUNCH editor was looking for me. When she saw me, she was full of praise for me.
I speak regularly with General Oyinlola. After the 2023 presidential election, I called Oyinlola to get his view. He said Alhaji Atiku Abubakar would win but I said Tinubu would win. He said, “Do you want to bet?” “Yes,” I said. “How much,” he asked?” I said, “Sir, let me stake N500,000.00 to you N5m.” He said, “Which type of betting is that?” Are you betting or not,” he asked with a military finality. I said, “Yes.” “How much?” he asked again. I said, “If I bet N500,000, I’ll win N5m.”
Last Monday, I got an alarm from a microfinance bank. I called Oyin. He said, “I am a soldier. I keep my word.”
Concluded
This article written by Tunde Odesola, a columnist with The PUNCH newspaper was first published by the same paper. It’s published here with the permission from the author.
News
Benin Unity Cup: Ikpoba-Okha Rescue Stoppage-Time Point As Orhionmwon Hit Four In Thrilling Football Weekend

The maiden Benin Unity Cup delivered a whirlwind of drama across Match Day Two, with Friday’s stoppage-time heroics and Saturday’s goal-laden clashes keeping fans at the Crescent Sports Club, Irhirhi, on the edge of their seats.
Ikpoba-Okha Steal Late Draw; Ovia North East Win by Walkover
Ikpoba-Okha produced one of the tournament’s standout moments on Friday as Emeka Nwaneda struck deep into stoppage time to deny Egor what had seemed a certain victory.
The opening fixture began cautiously, with both sides locked in a tense, goalless first half. Egor broke the deadlock barely three minutes after the restart, as Towo Eventus finished clinically to ignite celebrations in the stands and tilt momentum their way.
But just when Egor appeared set to close out the match, Ikpoba-Okha delivered a dramatic twist. In the 90th minute, Nwaneda showcased composure and flair to fire home the equaliser, stunning the Egor bench and sending the crowd into a frenzy.
READ ALSO:Ikpoba-Okha Trade Tackles With Ovia N-East As Benin Unity Cup Kicks Off
The day’s second match ended without a ball being kicked. Ovia North East were awarded a walkover after Uhunmwonde failed to honour their fixture, with match officials confirming the decision following the standard 30-minute waiting period.
Attention quickly shifted to Saturday’s double-header, which proved even more explosive.
Orhionmwon Overpower Ovia South West 4–2 in Six-Goal Thriller
Saturday’s early kick-off saw Orhionmwon storm to a commanding 4–2 victory over Ovia South West in a match brimming with attacking verve.
READ ALSO:US Museum Returns Two Benin Bronzes To Nigeria
Iworie Chinedu set the tone almost immediately, weaving through the defence to score the tournament’s fastest goal. Ovia South West replied in the 13th minute through Oghene Ovo, who finished a slick team move to restore parity.
But Orhionmwon seized control before the break. Osifo Osakpolor struck in the 35th minute, and four minutes later Kish Danjuma extended the lead to 3–1. The second half had barely resumed when Osakpolor completed his brace in the 46th minute, effectively putting the contest beyond reach.
Ovia South West pulled one back late on through Osadolor Lucky, but the goal served only as consolation as Orhionmwon claimed a deserved win.
Oredo Derby Ends in Six-Goal Spectacle
The much-anticipated Oredo derby lived up to its billing, as Oredo I and Oredo II battled to an exhilarating 3–3 draw in one of the most dramatic fixtures of the competition so far.
READ ALSO:Sen. Imasuen Champions Respect, Responsibility As ‘Comprehending Gen Z + Gen A’ Returns In Benin
Oredo II struck first when Waheed Ahmed found the net in the 27th minute, but Oredo I responded with an explosive start to the second half. Goals from Samuel Brownson (47’), Sunday Henry (49’), and a second from Brownson in the 58th minute turned the match on its head.
Refusing to wilt, Oredo II mounted a spirited comeback. Friday Omoregie reduced the deficit in the 52nd minute, and just two minutes later Anthony Ogudu fired home the leveller to seal a pulsating encounter.
With only two matchdays played, the Benin Unity Cup is rapidly gathering momentum—showcasing raw grassroots talent, rekindling local rivalries, and reinforcing the unifying power of football.
The tournament, sponsored by Senator Neda Imasuen, aims to empower young players and provide pathways for emerging talents to secure opportunities abroad.
News
Insecurity: What Sheikh Gumi Told Me After Visiting Bandits Hideouts — Obasanjo

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has revealed details of a private discussion he held with controversial Islamic cleric, Sheikh Ahmad Gumi, regarding the state of insecurity in Nigeria’s forests and the fortification of bandit hideouts.
Speaking in an interview, Obasanjo disclosed that he invited Sheikh Gumi for a meeting following the cleric’s well-publicised visits to meet with bandits in their forest encampments.
Gumi’s firsthand account, according to Obasanjo’s revelation, challenged official narratives regarding military operations in those areas.
According to Obasanjo, Gumi informed him that the bandits had so heavily fortified their positions that any security personnel claiming to have penetrated those specific enclaves were lying.
Obasanjo recounted that the cleric was visibly emotional while describing the demographics of the insurgents, noting that Gumi admitted to weeping after seeing young boys, aged between 13 and 15, who were soaked in hard drugs and carrying dangerous weapons.
He narrated, “When Sheikh Gumi went to meet those boys in the forest, I invited him to come and see me. The first thing he said is that where those boys are they’ve fortified themself, and even if any security personnel claimed they had gone into the area, they were lying to you. He said what made him weep was [seeing] boys of 13, 14, 15 years, soaked in drugs and carrying gun.”
READ ALSO:Why I Refused To Endorse El-Rufai As My Successor — Obasanjo
The former President described the condition of these children as wrecked, stating that the situation remains a significant source of worry for the nation.
“They are wrecked and that worried us. 20 million children that should be in school but are not in school. Those that have no employment, no job and they see in you in abstain affluence, what do you expect them to do?”, he said.
News
FULL LIST: Wike revokes land belonging to Ilorin Emir, Lamido, Fayose, Iyabo Obasanjo, Others In Abuja

Duke, David Mark, Anenih, Ganduje, CBN, Navy, NNPC, Oyo, Kaduna, Borno, others also affected
The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has approved the revocation of 1,095 properties in the FCT belonging to prominent Nigerians after they failed to pay ground rent, land use conversion or Certificate of Occupancy bills. This decision was contained in a statement signed by the management of the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) Department of Land Administration at the weekend.
The FCTA stated that the enforcement action to be taken against the defaulters commenced after a 14 day grace period, which expired on Tuesday, November 25, 2025. Out of the 1,095 defaulters, 835 were listed as ground rent defaulters, while 260 were listed as land use contravention payment defaulters. The list also contained the file numbers, plot numbers, CADZONE, districts, rent owed, and revocation dates of the listed properties.
The properties listed in the statement included those belonging to federal and state governments, businesses and prominent individuals.
Notable individuals on the list are former Chief of Army Staff, Theophilus Yakubu Danjuma; former First Lady, Patience Jonathan; former Senate President, David Mark; former Jigawa State governor, Sule Lamido; Senator Ali Ndume; former PDP national chairman, Abubakar Kawu Baraje; former Osun State deputy governor, Senator Iyiola Omisore; Emir of Ilorin, Ibrahim Sulu Gambari; elderstateman, Professor Bolaji Akinyemi; elderstateman, Tony Anenih; former Minister of Petroleum, Alison Madueke.
READ ALSO:BREAKING: Drama As Wike-backed PDP Expels Makinde, Mohammed, Dauda
Former governors on the list include Abdullahi Ganduje (Kano); Adeniyi Adebayo (Ekiti); Donald Duke (Cross River); Aliyu Wamakko (Sokoto); Ibrahim Dankwambo (Gombe); Ayodele Fayose (Ekiti); Olagunsoye Oyinlola (Osun).
Others are Minister of State for Industry, John Owan Enoh; Aminu Alhassan Dantata; Bashir Tofa; Audu Abubakar; Bello Mohamed Sani; Mohammed Rabiu; Senator from Ondo State, Senator Jimoh Ibrahim; Ado Abdullahi Bayero; Tanko Abdullahi; Adetunji Olurin; Ghali Umar Na’abba; Dorcas Kuforiji Olubi; Olu Agunloye; Kamorudeen Adekunle Adedibu; Hakeem Baba Ahmed; Iyabo Olusola Obasanjo; Shehu Musa Labaran; Onaolapo Olusegun Soleye; Babatunde Idiagbon.
Notable institutions on the list are the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), the Nigeria Navy, the Office of the National Security Adviser, Federal Ministry of Finance, Nigerian Navy, the Nigeria Police, Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Borno State, Kaduna, Oyo State governments.
READ ALSO:I’ll Support Trump To Fight Terrorism In Nigeria If… – Wike
Others are BUA International Limited, First Bank of Nigeria, Standard Trust Bank, Guaranty Trust Bank, Ecobank, Union Bank, United Bank for Africa (UBA), Zenith Bank, Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), Committee of Vice Chancellors of federal universities and National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW).
The FCTA added that the publication of the defaulting properties came after several notices in national dailies, online platforms and television stations requesting the defaulters to settle their financial obligations and liabilities. The FCTA further stated that by defaulting on the payments, the defaulters have “Contravenes the provisions of Section 28, Subsection 5(a) and (b) of the Land Use Act and also the terms and conditions of the grants of the respective Rights of Occupancy.”
News4 days agoHow To Access Your Pension Before Retirement
News4 days agoBREAKING: Tinubu Declares Nationwide Security Emergency, Orders Armed Forces To Recruit More Personnel
Headline4 days agoCoup In Guinea-Bissau? Soldiers Deployed Near Presidential Palace After Gunfire
Metro3 days agoJUST IN: One Dead As Ngige Escapes Assassination
News3 days agoGuinea-Bissau Coup: FG Gives Update On Ex-President Jonathan
Metro3 days agoBREAKING: Bandits Abduct Teenage Boy, Six Girls From FCT Community
News3 days agoOkpebholo Fires EDOGIS Managing Director
News4 days agoTinubu Appoints Non-Career Ambassadors For US, UK, France
Politics5 days agoCrack In Edo APC As Group Accuses Party Chieftain Of Acting Opposition’s Script
Metro4 days agoTrain Attack: Terrorist Leader Gave Mamu N50m From Ransom — DSS Operative













