Connect with us

Crime

Rampaging Youths Block Road, Set bonfire Over Killing Of Their Friend In Benin

Published

on

Rampaging youths on Monday blocked and set bonfires on the ever busy Muritala Mohammed (MM) way Benin City over alleging killing of their friend by Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC).

The rioting youths whose activities restricted both human and vehicular movements, said their friend, Etinosa Obakpolor, aged 26 was shot dead by personnel of the NSCDC on August 2019.

However, when contacted, an officer from the NSCDC who does not want his name in print said the family had since been settled, sensing that those protesting are thugs, who are looking for an avenue to steal.

READ ALSO: 2023: Return Ex-President Jonathan To Villa, Legal Luminary Suggests

Speaking, Joseph Egharvba, said Obakpolor was shot alongside with five other youths as they were returning from a function in August,2019 .

Late Etinosa Obakpolor

He stressed that Etinosa who was the only child of his parents with a pregnant wife almost due for delivery was coming back with 5 of his friends in a Toyota Camry 2.0  model when some officers of NSCDC on duty accosted them and started shooting at them, adding that while other persons sustained injuries, he was the only one who died.

According to him, the family of the late Etinosa met with the NSCDC officials, and were advised to bury him, promising that they will settle the family, saying “the corpse was promptly buried in August last year but since then,the NSCDC ingnored the family.”

READ ALSO: Ondo 2020: ‘We Did Not Endorse Akeredolu For Second Term’ -APC Elders

He said, “We are protesting the killing of Etinosa Obakpolor, who was shot alongside five others youths as they were returning from a function in August, 2019 .He was the only child with a pregnant wife almost due for delivery.

Scene of bonfire at MM way Benin City on Monday

“The family met with the NSCDC officials and were advised to bury him, promising that they will settle the family.The corpse was promptly buried in August last year.But since then, the NSCDC has ingnored the family.

READ ALSO: Nigerian League: Wikki Tourist Plays All Draw with Dakkada FC

“It was when they heard we were on the street that they called and offered the family 800,000(Eight Hundred Thousand Naira only) which the family rejected, insisting it wants justice as he was the only  child.”

Advertisement
Comments

Crime

Police Declare Man Wanted Over Homos*xual Act

Published

on

By

A 50-years old man, Edo Omusi, has been declared wanted by the police in Benin City, the capital of Edo State, for disappearing after being ‘caught’ in a same s*x act in Ogiso community.

A source close to the police in the state, told our correspondent that the suspect, and one of his male friends, whose name was not given, were sighted at an undisclosed location by some youths as they were comitting the act.

Under Nigerian Laws, any person caught in the gay act is liable to 14 years in prison and if found by the community could be killed.

The duo were said to have been deeply engrossed in the act when they were found but before the person who saw them in the , “sinful and abominable act”, went for back up, they had escaped the location.

The incident which occurred on 25/4/23 at Ogiso area of the town almost threw the community into a turmoil as irate youths welding sticks and cudgels rampaged the community in search of the duo to lynch them.

It was also learnt that worried by the trend the youths in the community had to set up a surveillance team to monitor his movements. It was on one of the surveillance trips that he was reportedly caught on the fateful day, with the unidentified male partner.

It was gathered since the community reported the incident to the police, the whereabouts of the suspect, Edo Omusi has since remained unknown by all and sundry.

Speaking on the development, a top Police official confirmed the matter and explained that the Crime Investigation Department of the command is working round the clock to arrest the suspect, having declared him a wanted person.

Continue Reading

Crime

Man, 41, Sent To Prison For Groping Woman’s Breast

Published

on

By

A Badagry Magistrates’ Court, Lagos, on Friday, ordered the remand of a 41-year-old man, Ibrahim Lemo, for groping the breast of a woman.

The court heard that Lemo beat up his victim, Zainab Babalola, when she demanded he stopped the unlawful act

Chief Magistrate Fadahunsi Adefioye remanded Lemo after he pleaded guilty to a two count bordering on assault.

READ ALSO: Prophet Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Defiling 10-year-old Step Daughter

Adefioye ordered that the defendant should be remanded in Awhajigoh Correctional Centre, Badagry.

He adjourned the case until April 14 for facts and sentencing.

Earlier, the prosecutor, ASP. Clément Okuoimose, told the court that the defendant committed the offences on April 6 at 2.30 p.m. at Badagry Roundabout shopping complex, Badagry, Lagos.

Okuoimose said Lemo without lawful excuse pressed the breast of the complainant, Zainab Babalola.

READ ALSO: JUST IN: Court Remands Ex-Imo Deputy Gov In Prison

He said the defendant also hit the complainant on her left eye and caused her harm after she asked him not to touch her again.

The prosecutor said the offences contravened Sections 134 and 170 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.

(NAN)

Continue Reading

Crime

Hushpuppi’s Associate, Woodberry, Pleads Guilty, Forfeits $8m, Assets

Published

on

By

Olalekan Jacob Ponle, known as Mr Woodberry, has pleaded guilty to wire fraud.

He also agreed to forfeit $8 million in proceeds of wire fraud as well as luxury cars and watches to the foreign government.

Woodberry, a known associate of the now-imprisoned internet fraudster, Ramon Abbas, better known as Hushpuppi, recently in a plea declaration submitted at the United States District Court of the Northern District of Illinois Eastern Division on April 6, pleaded guilty to count one of the indictments, the Peoples Gazette reports.

According to his plea agreement, he is required to pay back the sum of $8 million he fraudulently received from the seven companies that he scammed.

READ ALSO: Calls For Abba Kyari’s Arrest Heighten As Reactions Trail Hushpuppi’s ‘Bribery’ Allegation

“Defendant understands that by pleading guilty, he will subject to forfeiture to the United States all right, title, and interest that he has in any property constituting or derived from proceeds obtained, directly or indirectly, as a result of the offence,” stated the document containing Mr Ponle’s signed plea declaration.

Woodberry was also asked to waive his rights to the luxury cars, and designer watches he had stashed in Dubai.

The high-end automobiles include Rolls Royce Cullinan with vehicle no J9153, Lamborghini Urus (N4973) and Mercedes-Benz G-class (G68816).

Other items seized are four Rolex watches, one Patek Philippe watch, three Audemars Piguet watches, three gold and diamond-studded earrings, and six gold neck chains.

READ ALSO:Hushpuppi Sentenced To 11 Years In Prison

Last year, he forfeited 151.8 Bitcoin to the American government.

On June 10, 2020, Woodberry was arrested in Dubai alongside Ramon Hushpuppi Abbas, who is currently serving an 11-year sentence for a similar fraud charge.

Prior to his arrest, Woodberry was known for rocking and flaunting expensive designer wear and showing off his illicit wealth to his massive Instagram followers, the majority of whom had no idea his luxury lifestyle was funded by cybercrime.

Continue Reading

Trending