Connect with us

Metro

Scores Killed As Angry Soldiers Raze Houses In Bayelsa Over Delta Community Massacre

Published

on

Troops of the Nigerian Army have stormed Igbomotoru community in Southern Ijaw Local Government Area of Bayelsa State, razing houses and allegedly killing about 11 people.

The action is sequel to last week’s killing of 16 soldiers and officers at Okuama Community in Delta State.

Soldiers in five gunboats reportedly invaded the community, razing houses suspected to be the hideout of a militant leader said to be involved in the killing of the military men who were on a rescue mission in Delta.

Advertisement

Recall that an Army Commander, two majors, one captain and 12 soldiers of 181 Amphibious Battalion in Bomadi Local Government Area of Delta were killed in Okuama community.

READ ALSO: Again, Terrorists Storm Kaduna In Fresh Attack, Abduct 87

The Chief of Defence Staff, General Christopher Musa, had ordered an immediate investigation and arrest of the culprits.

Days after the order, it was gathered that some residents of Okuama community fled to neighboring Ughelli for fear of reprisal by soldiers.

Advertisement

The soldiers had during the weekend burnt several houses in Okuama, before storming neighboring communities in Bayelsa in pursuit of those involved in the killing.

According to Daily Trust, a source said immediately the troops stormed the Bayelsa community, they opened fire on some residents relaxing at the jetty before proceeding to set ablaze three buildings suspected to be the hideout of the said militant leader.

READ ALSO: DHQ Vows Decisive Response To Killers Of Soldiers In Delta

He said the community had been able to recover 11 corpses from the attack, while still searching for others as at the time of filing this report.

Advertisement

“The military invasion has affected the people gravely. Lives have been lost, properties have been destroyed. Even after the attack, I am sure that life in the community will never be the same.

“This weekend was scheduled for the burial of one of my late uncles. We had paid for food, drinks, music, speedboat and canopies. And now because of this, the burial can no longer hold.

READ ALSO: JUST IN: Soldiers Bar Journalists As Delta Gov Visits Troubled Community

“In fact some of the people we paid money to are saying that if the date changes, we would have to pay extra money. Is that not a huge loss on its own? So we would have to start looking for more money, that is if there will ever be peace in the community.

Advertisement

“I am appealing to the Federal and State Government to as a matter of urgency intervene in this matter. We do not have a hand in whatever transpired in Delta State. The international community should come to our aid,” the source said.

When contacted via telephone call, the spokesman for Operation Delta Safe, OPDS headquarters, Major Adenegan Ojo, hung up the call after hearing it was a journalist who called.

He, however, did not answer subsequent phone calls.

Advertisement

Metro

Edo: Police Arrest Three For Cultism, Recover Arms

Published

on

The Edo State Police Command has paraded three suspected cultists in Benin City alleged to be members of the Maphite confraternity.

According to a statement by a media aide to the governor, Crusoe Osagie, on Friday, the police commissioner, Funsho Adegboye, paraded the suspects, identified as Eyefia Godbless (30), Imuetiyan Ewemade (30), and Emeka Okpaja (22).

The trio were reportedly apprehended at Ubiaza Community, Off Sapele Road in Benin City, where they were allegedly planning to avenge the killing of a fellow member.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: UPDATED: Scores Killed, About 200 Students Trapped In Jos Collapsed School Building

We have the full backing of the Inspector General of Police (IGP) Kayode Egbetokun on the fight against cultism and we are not joking with it,” Adegboye was quoted stating.

He added that Governor Godwin Obaseki and his executive team are also supporting the initiative to rid the state of cultism and criminality.

The police recovered several items from the suspects, including an automatic pump action gun, 11 live carriages, three green berets, and a Maphite constitution.

Advertisement

According to the Commissioner, the suspects made confessional statements affirming their membership in the cult group.

READ ALSO: Police Arrest Man With Skull In Abuja

Adegboye emphasized the dangerous nature of the weapons seized, stating, “This is an automatic pump action gun which is as deadly as AK 47 which has a bullet that can kill several people, unlike AK-47 which can kill just one person. According to the suspects, the gun was purchased for about N700,000.”

The Commissioner used the opportunity to appeal to the youth, urging them to gainfully engage themselves in profitable and positive activities adding that crime, cultism, and internet fraud do not pay.

Advertisement

In addition to the three cultists, the police reported other recent arrests. These include five suspects apprehended at a cultist hideout along Siluko road, where two pump action guns, two locally made single barrel guns, and 20 live cartridges were recovered.

In a separate incident, one Osayande Tony was arrested with a pump action gun and two cartridges while driving a Mercedes Benz C300 Saloon car.

READ ALSO: Four Female Niger Delta Teen App Developers For World Tech Summit In USA

The police also have in custody one Apalobi Daniel from Powerline, Ugbiyokho, Benin City, who allegedly strangled his wife to death during an argument. The suspect is expected to be charged in court soon.

Advertisement

“At same Siluko road, Rapid Response Squad intercepted one Mercedes Benz C300 Saloon car with registration number YAB 389 BG, driven by Osayande Tony ‘M’ 48 years and was arrested with one pump action gun and two cartridges,” Adegboye added.

Adegboye further reiterated the commitment of the Edo State Government and the police, in collaboration with other security agencies and the press, to continue sensitising the public about the dangers of cult groups and criminal activities.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

UPDATED: Scores Killed, About 200 Students Trapped In Jos Collapsed School Building

Published

on

Plateau Commissioner for Information and Communication, Mr Musa Ashoms, has confirmed that about 200 students were trapped in the Jos school building that collapsed in Jos.

The News Agency of Nigeria, the Saints Academy, a secondary school in Jos, collapsed on Friday, while students were writing their third term examination.

Ashoms, who visited the scene in the company of other commissioners, including that of secondary education, said that the school had a total population of about 400.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: BREAKING: Scores Injured As School Building Collapses In Plateau

The commissioner said that part of the school that collapsed was accommodating about 200 students.

”The collapsed building has resulted in casualties, and injured students are still being evacuated to hospitals.

”We cannot, however, ascertain the exact number of casualties until the evacuation is completed

Advertisement

“The emergency workers are doing a lot in the rescue efforts.

“The Governor, Caleb Mutfwang, has urged the medical personnel in the hospitals to ensure that they save the lives of survivors.

“They should not ask for money or anything because this is an emergency situation,” he said.

READ ALSO: FEC Steps Down Projects From Past Govts For Review

Advertisement

The commissioner however, said that the incident had underscored the imperative of order 003 of the state government, which was meant to enforce the implementation of the Greater Jos Master Plan, to prevent such unfortunate incidences.

According to him, the collapsed school building, which is was built on a waterlogged area, clearly did not meet construction standards.

Ashoms said that the Jos Metropolitan Development Board (JMDB) would ensure that faulty buildings were brought down, while ongoing constructions would henceforth conform to standards

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

BREAKING: Corp Members Escape Death As NYSC Hostel Collapses In Ekiti

Published

on

Some Corps members deployed to Ekiti State narrowly escaped death on Friday morning when the wall of the female hostel of National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) orientation camp collapsed on them.

The corp members recuperating in the clinic inside the orientation camp were said to have been rescued by their male counterparts who retrieved them from the rubbles.

One of the sources said: ”Yes the wall of one of the female hostels collapsed this morning (Friday) . It was the bathroom wall which caved in when they were planning to take their bath.

Advertisement

” But thank God, people rushed down there to retrieve them from the rubbles. They have been stabilized at the clinic and they will get further medical treatments.”

READ ALSO:BREAKING: Scores Injured As School Building Collapses In Plateau

An official of the NYSC who spoke on anonymity confirmed the incident, saying only two corps members were affected and recuperating in the camp’s clinic.

He said there have been persistent calls by the leadership of NYSC in Ekiti State for the renovation of the dilapidated hostels but all the calls proved abortive

Advertisement

He called on parents and guardians not to panic over the incident, adding that it had no serious negative impact on the corps members.

The corps members are in the camp for the three-week compulsory orientation camp for those posted to the State.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending