Connect with us

News

US Envoy, Minister Address Visa Policy Changes, Urge Compliance

Published

on

The United States Ambassador to Nigeria, Ambassador Richard Mills, and the Minister of Information and National Orientation, Idris Mohammed, on Friday addressed the recent changes to US visa policies and jointly called for increased awareness and compliance among Nigerian citizens.

The US had earlier imposed tighter visa restrictions on Nigerians. It revised its visa reciprocity schedule for Nigeria, limiting the validity of certain non-immigrant visas — including B1/B2 (business and tourism), F (student), and J (exchange visitor) categories — to just three months with single-entry access.

Speaking during a press briefing in Abuja, Mills clarified that the new visa measures announced by the US Mission are not punitive, but rather part of a global effort to tighten security, enhance service delivery, and ensure compliance with US immigration laws.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:FULL LIST: Ghana Releases Identities Of Helicopter Crash Victims

Myself and the minister just had a very useful and productive discussion about US visa laws and how to communicate to the Nigerian people the importance of compliance with US visa laws,” Mills said.

The envoy underscored the enduring and strategic relationship between the two countries, emphasising that the US continues to welcome Nigerians for study, business, tourism, medical visits, and family reunions—but with the clear expectation that visitors respect visa regulations.

Advertisement

Let me be clear, the United States values its very strong relationship with Nigeria and the many kinds of connections that exist between our two countries.

“US visas play a vital role in keeping these countries going and strengthening them

“Both governments want visitors to respect our national laws and regulations,” the ambassador said.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Your View Host, Morayo Brown, Resigns From TVC

Mills warned that visa misuse—such as overstaying or providing inaccurate information—undermines trust and can lead to severe personal consequences, including deportation or a lifetime travel ban.

“If you overstay, it can result in deportation and a lifetime ban on future travel to the US, which we don’t want to see Nigerian citizens face,” he said.

Advertisement

He urged applicants to be honest and transparent, stressing that “visa compliance is a cornerstone of mutual trust and respect between our two nations.”

Addressing concerns about the processing system, Mills revealed that the recent changes reflect the US administration’s security-focused review of global visa operations.

He noted that the US government requires more rigorous background checks, including access to Nigerian criminal records, to ensure applicants are properly vetted.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Full List Of Schengen Countries Offering 5-yr Visa Programme

We needed to address some of the security vulnerabilities that we saw in our visa processing.

“The Nigerian government is working to find a mechanism so that we can have a better understanding of who’s before us when they apply for a visa,” Mills explained.

Advertisement

In addition, the ambassador stressed that compliance also applies to student visa holders.

“If you skip classes, if you leave your programme of study without informing your school, your student visa could be revoked,” he warned.

He concluded by encouraging Nigerians to visit the US embassy website for official guidance and support.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:US Visa Adjudication Sparks Concerns Over Diplomatic Relations

“If you have any questions about our visa regulations or policies, don’t hesitate to go to our website. All Nigerians have access to it,” the envoy added.

The minister, in his remarks, praised the US embassy for taking the initiative to clarify its position directly with the Nigerian public.

Advertisement

This brings me to believe that we need to come together at times like this to have a common position so that Nigerians can be better informed about what we do,” he said.

The minister described Nigerians as global travellers who frequent the United States more than almost any other destination and emphasised the importance of clear, accessible information about visa processes.

“Nigerians visit almost all parts of the world, and because we engage and we travel a lot, we feel that it is necessary to have information shared with us from time to time as it affects the travels amongst our people,” he said.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:US Visa Adjudication Sparks Concerns Over Diplomatic Relations

Mohammed reaffirmed that the ministry will continue to work closely with the US Mission to ensure transparency, understanding, and public education on all consular issues.

“Let me recognise the mutual respect and partnership between Nigeria and the United States and its embassy to keep Nigerian travellers well informed about its visa and consular services,” he said.

Advertisement

He also dismissed the notion that the new visa processes were discriminatory, quoting the ambassador.

Before coming to this office, we had engagements with Amb Mills, and what he has told me is that this is in no way punitive. It’s just to enhance service delivery between the two countries.”

The minister echoed the US position on the importance of complying with host country laws and urged Nigerians to uphold the country’s image abroad.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Venezuelan Deportees: US Embassy Gives Reason For Reducing Visa Validity For Nigerians

“When someone comes into Nigeria, we expect that person to also comply with our laws here. So what I want to say here is that Nigerians must continue to demonstrate, as they do, a better sense of patriotism about their country and also show better compliance with not just our laws, but laws of other countries,” he said.

Mohammed added that the renewed engagement with the US mission reflects the Federal Government’s “New Hope Agenda,” aimed at fostering partnerships that benefit Nigerians at home and abroad.

Advertisement

“This is a new way of forging a better partnership and collaboration between the two countries.

“And the more we engage, the better it is for the two nations,” he said.

The most important thing is that we remain two countries trying to forge better relationships for the benefit of both nations,” the minister concluded.
(PUNCH)

Advertisement

 

News

‘My Father Discovered Banana Island’ – Ex-BBNaija Star Claims

Published

on

Former Big Brother Naija reality star, Kiddwaya has claimed that his dad, Terry Waya, discovered the famous Banana Island in Lagos.

He made the claim in a recent of the Off The Record podcast.

The host asked: “I heard that your dad discovered Banana Island. Is that correct?”

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Moment Adekunle Gold Light Up BBNaija S10 Finale With ‘Party No Dey Stop’

Kiddwaya replied: “Yeah, I didn’t even know until I heard it during one of my trips.”

Kiddwaya’s dad, Terry Waya is a self-acclaimed billionaire with investments in the real estate, agriculture and hospitality industry.

Advertisement

His public profile was further boosted during and after his son Kiddwaya’s appearance on the Big Brother Naija reality show in 2020.

Watch video here.

 

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

EFCC Releases Malami After Interrogation, Gives Fresh Appointment For More Questioning

Published

on

Former Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, says his engagement with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, following an invitation by the agency has been “successful.”

Malami, who disclosed this in a post on his X handle on Saturday, said he was released after the interaction and given an appointment for further questioning.

In line with my undertaking to keep Nigerians updated on my invitation by EFCC, I give glory to Allah for His divine intervention. The engagement was successful and I am eventually released, while on an appointment for further engagement, as the truth relating to the fabricated allegations against me continues to unfold,” he wrote.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:JUST IN: EFCC Summons Ex-AGF Malami For Questioning

The EFCC had earlier invited the former minister over allegations linked to his time in office, though the commission has not publicly disclosed details of the issues under investigation.

Malami previously announced that he would honour the invitation, saying it aligned with his commitment to accountability and transparency.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

VIDEO: Jonathan Breaks Silence On Guinea-Bissau’s Military Takeover

Published

on

Former President Goodluck Jonathan has broken silence following the recent military takeover in Guinea-Bissau, describing it as a conventional coup, insisting it was “maybe a ceremonial coup” given the strange manner in which it unfolded.

Jonathan, who spoke extensively in an interview with Symfoni posted on YouTube on Friday, said he felt compelled to address the media to thank Nigerians for their concern and to clarify what truly happened while he was in Bissau as head of the West African Elders Forum Election Observation Mission.

“You know, since I left office, I’ve always been scared of talking to the media,” he said. “But in this particular case, I decided to speak… first and foremost, to thank Nigerians for the show of empathy, the encouragement.”

Advertisement

Gunfire erupted around key government buildings in Bissau on Wednesday, with soldiers claiming they had “total control” of the country and followed by curfew, border closures and the detention of top government and security officials.

In another development, Tribune Online reports that ousted President, Umaro Sissoco Embaló, flew to Senegal after the intervention of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS).

READ ALSO:Why I Returned To Nigeria On Ivorian Jet — Jonathan

Advertisement

Reacting to the development, Jonathan however suggested the situation defied all known patterns of a coup.

“I wouldn’t call it a coup. It was not a coup. I would just say, for want of a better word, maybe it was a ceremonial coup,” he said. “For two things: It is the president, President Embaló, who announced the coup. Later, the military men came up to address the world that they were in charge of everywhere.”

He continued, “Then Embaló had already announced the coup, which is strange. Not only announcing the coup, but Embaló, while the coup took place, was using his phone and addressing media organisations across the world that he had been arrested.”

Advertisement

The former president, drawing from his experience as a Nigerian and a regional mediator, said the events were unlike anything he had seen.

“I’m a Nigerian close to 70, and I know how they keep heads of state when a coup takes place. Recently, I was a mediator in Mali, and within that period, we had a military coup. The military doesn’t take over governments, and the sitting president that they overthrew would be allowed to be addressing press conferences and announcing that he has been arrested. Why does this happen? Who is fooling whom?”

READ ALSO:Guinea-Bissau Military Takeover Is ‘Ceremonial Coup’ – Jonathan

Advertisement

Meanwhile, Nigeria’s Federal Government had earlier condemned the development as “a serious threat to democracy and regional stability,” and confirmed Jonathan’s safe evacuation by a special flight alongside his delegation.

Jonathan used the interview to call on ECOWAS and the African Union to promptly announce results of the election that was underway in Guinea-Bissau before the military disrupted the process.

“They have the results because AU and ECOWAS officials were in all the regions when the results were collated. They cannot change those results. They should tally all those results and announce them. They cannot force the military out. They must announce and let the world know who won that election.”

Advertisement

He stressed that the integrity of elections must be upheld in West Africa, recalling his experience overseeing Côte d’Ivoire’s contentious 2010 presidential poll.

A similar thing happened in Côte d’Ivoire when I was the Chair of the Authority of Heads of State and Government of ECOWAS,” he said. He narrated how Laurent Gbagbo and Alassane Ouattara went into a second round after neither met the 50% +1 requirement.

READ ALSO:Guinea-Bissau Coup: FG Gives Update On Ex-President Jonathan

Advertisement

“In the second round, Ouattara then got more votes than Gbagbo. And Gbagbo said he was not going, that he won the election,” Jonathan recounted. “But all the observers in the international community said Ouattara won the election. And we in ECOWAS said, well, you are our colleague, but you have to go.”

According to him, his insistence on respecting the will of the people ensured a peaceful transfer of power at the time.

“I stood my ground, and Ouattara was sworn in,” he said.

Advertisement

Jonathan reiterated that Guinea-Bissau’s situation was “disturbing” to anyone who believes in democracy and insisted that respecting election results remains the only path to stability in the region.

Watch video here

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending