News
You Are Job Creators, Not Jobseekers, Gov. Mohammed To NYSC Members
Published
2 years agoon
By
Editor
Gov. Bala Mohammed of Bauchi state has called on members of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) posted to the state that the various skill acquisition programmes they were exposed to on camp were designed to make them job creators and not jobseekers.
Mohammed stated this on Tuesday, during the official closing ceremony of the 2023 Batch C stream 1 orientation exercise at Wailo camp in Ganjuwa Local Government Area of the state.
Represented by his Deputy, Alh. Auwal Jatau, Mohammed also enjoined the corps members to carry these skills with them to their various places of Primary Assignment and perfect them within the period of their National Service.
READ ALSO:Gov. Mohammed Tasks NYSC Members On Meaningful Projects
This, he said, would not only enable them to be adequately self employed but also become employers of labour.
“Given the borrower-friendly credit facilities available in the scheme and other wide ranging funding options, all you need to do is to come up with comprehensive and convincing business proposals and funds will be made available to you.
“National Service provides for you an opportunity to improve and impact positively on the lives of the inhabitants of your host communities.
“I therefore enjoy you not to waste this unique opportunity,” said the governor.
He further assured the corps members that the security of their lives and property was on top of his administration’s agenda at all times and would not relent on its effort to live up to that responsibility.
READ ALSO: NYSC Deploys 1,691 Prospective Corps Members To Bauchi
Mohammed also pledged to with no distant time commence the renovation of the NYSC camp as requested by the state Coordinator.
Earlier, Mrs Rifkatu Yakubu, NYSC Coordinator in the state, said that the corps members were disciplined and eagerly partook in all camp programmes during the orientation exercise.
She explained that the corps members had been posted to all areas requiring their expertises in line with the requests received from corps employers in the state.
She also appreciated the state governor for placing high priority on the welfare and comfort of corps members in the state.
“On our part, we wish to assure His Excellency and the peace loving people of of Bauchi state that the NYSC scheme will continue to partner with them in implementing all developmental programmes,” she said.
A total of 1,691 corps members were posted to the state for the 2023 Batch C orientation exercise.
You may like
FG Charges Corps Members To Report Proliferation Of Small Arms, Light Weapons
Release Corps Member’s Discharge Certificate, Falana Tells NYSC
Credicorp: NYSC Unveils N200,000 Loan Scheme For Corps Members
Edo Assures Pensioners Of Improved Welfare, Universal Health Coverage
NYSC Deploys 1,700 Corps Members To Bauchi State
Court Orders NYSC To Allow Skirts For Female Corps Members
News
FG Unveils Revised Curriculum For Basic, Secondary, Technical Education
Published
10 minutes agoon
August 31, 2025By
Editor
The Federal Government said it completed a comprehensive review of school curricula for basic, senior secondary and technical education aimed to make Nigerian learners “future-ready.”
The Ministry of Education disclosed this in a statement signed on Friday by its Director of Press and Public Relations, Boriowo Folasade, and made available to newsmen on Sunday.
Folasade said the Minister of State for Education, Prof. Suwaiba Said Ahmad announced the curriculum on behalf of the Minister of Education, Dr. Maruf Alausa, while speaking in Abuja.
READ ALSO:FG Shuts 22 Illegal Tertiary Institutions
According to the minister, the review was carried out in collaboration with key education stakeholders, including the Nigerian Educational Research and Development Council, the Universal Basic Education Commission, the National Senior Secondary Education Commission and the National Board for Technical Education.
The new framework is designed to reduce content overload, improve learning outcomes, and ensure Nigerian students are equipped with skills relevant to today’s global demands.
Prof. Ahmad said the exercise went beyond merely trimming subjects, stressing it focused on improving content to promote deeper learning and reduce overload for pupils and students.
“Under the revised structure, pupils in Primary 1–3 will study a minimum of nine and a maximum of 10 subjects; pupils in Primary 4–6 will take 10 to 12 subjects. Junior secondary students may offer 12 to 14 subjects, senior secondary students will take eight to nine subjects, and technical schools will offer nine to 11 subjects,” the statement read.
READ ALSO:FG To Disburse Interest-free Loans To Farmers, Small Businesses – GEEP
“The revised curricula will reduce content overload and create more learning time for students,” Prof. Ahmad said, adding that the changes reflect the government’s commitment to delivering quality, practical and relevant education in a rapidly changing world.
The Ministry of Education commended stakeholders for their role in the review and said implementation will be accompanied by strict monitoring to ensure a smooth transition across schools nationwide.
The ministry did not give an exact date for rollout, but said the new curricula will be phased in with oversight from relevant agencies to guarantee effective adoption.
News
Over 23,000 People Still Missing In Nigeria — ICRC
Published
27 minutes agoon
August 31, 2025By
Editor
The International Committee of the Red Cross says more than 23,659 people remain missing in Nigeria, leaving 13,595 families in anguish, most of them women struggling with uncertainty and hardship.
Protection of Family Links Team Leader of ICRC in Damaturu, Mr Ishaku Luka, disclosed this on Sunday during activities to mark the International Day of the Disappeared.
He said 68 per cent of those still searching for answers were women, while 59 per cent of those missing were minors at the time of their disappearance.
According to him, Yobe State alone accounts for 2,500 cases, the majority recorded in Gujba Local Government Area.
“Behind every missing person is a family living in pain, uncertainty, and economic difficulty.
READ ALSO:‘Court Of Corruption’ — Obasanjo Knocks INEC Chairman, Judiciary In New Book
“The anguish is compounded by legal, administrative, and psychosocial challenges. These families deserve acknowledgement, care and support,” Luka said.
He explained that the issue of missing persons was one of the most devastating consequences of armed conflicts, disasters, and migration.
He urged parties to conflicts, authorities, and communities to take greater responsibility in preventing disappearances.
Sharing ICRC’s interventions, Luka said by June 30, the organisation had collected 451 new cases in Nigeria, and closed 515 cases.
Luka added that the organisation had facilitated the reunification of seven separated children with their families.
READ ALSO:FG To Earn N180bn From Fire, Cassava Investments – ICRC
“Every day, worldwide, we help reunite 20 people with their families. Every hour, we help clarify the fate of two missing people. Every minute, we help four separated persons contact their loved ones,” he added.
Head of ICRC Sub-delegation in Damaturu, Mr Rashid Hassan, said families of the missing should not be left alone in their struggles.
“Time does not heal. Acknowledgement, answers and respect do. Families must know that their loved ones are not forgotten and their demands are heard,” Hassan stressed.
He said the ICRC, working with the Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS), had provided mental health and psychosocial support, livelihood assistance, and orientation programmes for families of missing persons in Borno and Adamawa states.
Hassan urged authorities to fulfill their obligations by clarifying the fate of missing persons, protecting the dignity of the dead, and addressing the economic and social needs of the affected families.
READ ALSO:Why Super Eagles Coach, Peseiro’s Contract Should Not Be Renewed’
He also called on society to show solidarity, avoid stigmatisation, and support the resilience of families searching for answers.
Globally, Hassan said, more than 94,000 people were newly registered as missing in 2024, bringing the total to 284,400.
He stressed, however, that the figure represented only a fraction of the real number.
“As we commemorate this day, we renew our commitment to advocate for the rights of the disappeared and to push for continuous efforts in searching for answers.
“No family should live with the torment of uncertainty,” Hassan said.
(NAN)
News
Ex-TVC’s ‘Your View Host,’ Afolabi-Brown, Admits Ignorance In Past Criticism Of Peter Obi
Published
31 minutes agoon
August 31, 2025By
Editor
… narratives how she once considered suicide
Former Your View host, Morayo Afolabi-Brown, has said her past remarks about former Anambra State governor, Peter Obi, were made without knowing much about him or his record in office.
The veteran media personality, in an interview with Chude Jideonwo, explained that her comments on the Labour Party presidential candidate at the time were not based on personal familiarity with his record.
“It was because I did not know him. After I made that comment, people called me and said, ‘Morayo, do you realise that when he was governor, he actually served us?’
“So that was him. I said, ‘Oh, I did not know,’” she said.
The broadcaster also opened up about her battle with depression, recalling how she once considered taking her own life.
READ ALSO:Your View Host, Morayo Brown, Resigns From TVC
“I was depressed. It got so bad that I thought I was suicidal. I just left everything behind.
“I remember just walking on the express, hoping a car would hit me. It was that bad,” she revealed.
Afolabi-Brown explained that she decided to step away from Your View after the show’s tenth anniversary, saying she had long harboured the thought of moving on.
“It was when we were 10 years old that I knew it was time to move on to the next thing.
READ ALSO:Ghana Threatens To Suspend DSTV Licence Over Price Hike
“I’ve been harbouring that thought for a while, but I just didn’t know to what or where, you know.
“But I think last year, I got that light bulb moment,” she said.
Brown further narrated how she was sacked from TVC until her identity became known to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
“People now call Asiwaju, ‘Do you know whose child was sacked?’ He said, ‘I’m not aware.’
READ ALSO:Naira Abuse: Don’t Condemn Tompolo Over Mere Allegation, Says EFCC Boss
“He said, ‘This is the Alao Aka-Bashorun’s daughter. That’s when he knew it was me,” she recalled.
On controversies during her career, she revisited the uproar that trailed an on-air interview in which she was accused of calling her husband a pedophile.
According to her, the First Lady’s intervention helped her make peace and publicly apologise.
Her exit from Your View, she noted, marked the end of her 12-year journey on the breakfast show.
- Liverpool Vs Arsenal: Gunners Seek 1st EPL Win At Anfield Since 2012
- FG Unveils Revised Curriculum For Basic, Secondary, Technical Education
- Keyamo Warns PDP Against Fielding Jonathan, Obi In 2027
- Over 23,000 People Still Missing In Nigeria — ICRC
- Ex-TVC’s ‘Your View Host,’ Afolabi-Brown, Admits Ignorance In Past Criticism Of Peter Obi
- A’Ibom Govt Reacts As Eno Is Accused Of Deducting Tithe From Workers’ Salaries
- Ex-Tinubu Campaign Coordinator Resigns From APC
- Sokoto Introduces Allowances For Imams, Mosques
- Police Arrest Suspected Fake Lawyer In Ogun
- NAFDAC Seals Lagos Skincare Facility Over Illegal Bleaching Products
Trending
- News3 days ago
JUST IN: Immigration Hikes Passport Fees To N100,000, N200,000
- Politics4 days ago
Edo PDP Knocks Okpebholo Over ₦2.5b Donation To UBTH
- News4 days ago
Firm Wants Attorney-General Investigate Court Ruling On Breach Of Contract
- News5 days ago
US Court Sentences Osun Monarch To Prison Over $4.2m Fraud
- News3 days ago
BREAKING: Former Customs Comptroller-General, Ahmed Aliyu Mustapha, Is Dead
- News4 days ago
Ondo Bans Graduation Ceremonies In Primary, Junior Secondary Schools
- News3 days ago
Access Holdings Names New GMD/CEO
- News1 day ago
JUST IN: Oldest Missionary To Nigeria, Ruth Elton, Is Dead
- Metro4 days ago
Man Stabs Colleague To Death In Lagos Over Money Dispute
- News3 days ago
JUST IN: NLC Defies Edo Assembly Resolution, Inaugurates Factional Caretaker Committee